Start by marking “Female Intelligence” as Want to Read:
Female Intelligence

Jane Heller

Female Intelligence

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  611 ratings  ·  52 reviews
If you haven't been following the meteoric rise in the career of author Jane Heller, take note: Heller is the only author to boast three consecutive "Page Turner/Beach Book of the Week" accolades from People magazine, and has garnered five such notices overall. Her bestselling novel Sis Boom Bah has been optioned to Shoelace Productions as a starring vehicle for Julia Robe ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 512 pages
Published September 1st 2001 by Thorndike Press (first published April 14th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Female Intelligence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Female Intelligence

Kris
Booklist
Heller's novel takes its cues from Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus (1992). Her heroine, Dr. Lynn Wyman, has developed a unique approach to repairing damaged male-female relationships. Unfortunately, her celebrated and lucrative program dive-bombs when news of her husband's infidelity is leaked to the tabloids. After months of scraping by and existing on iceberg lettuce, she devises a plan to snag America's Toughest Boss, Brandon Brock, as a client and restore her former reputatio
Robin
Lynn Wyman is a self-help guru who has successfully used the "Wyman Method" to train men in the correct way to communicate with the women in their lives. But her whole practice falls apart when the media prints the story about her husband's affair and her credibility goes down the drain. After reading an article in Fortune magazine called "America's Toughest Bosses", Lynn decides to salvage her career by teaching CEO Brandon Brock how to talk to the women who work for him. The plan is perfect, b ...more
Emma
Honestly this book was far from well-written...it relied on telling the reader everything rather than showing, and it was extremely predictable. I would say it's the book equivalent of a marshmallow...very light, not much substance to it, no real "nutritional value," yet oddly sweet and enjoyable. 352 pages.
Melissa
This was the first book I read by Jane Heller and I really liked it. It's about the rise and fall of a woman who teaches sensitivity training to men and how she recovers. It's humorous, romantic, and entertaining.

Again, not the most thought provoking novel but perfect for a vacation read.
Stephanie
Maybe it's just me... I didn't find this book amusing in the least. I didn't feel any compassion for the main character, I didn't identify with any of her problems, and I didn't get past page 66. I have liked other books I've read by Jane Heller but this one just wasn't for me.
Nicole Ristine
the characters weren't memorable and the ending lacked imagination. She did a poor job developing the chemistry between the characters so I wasn't compelled to root for them. For me, the Worst part was that villain's motives were also underdeveloped and just plain stupid.
Tahnee
I wasn't as impressed with this book as I hoped to be. The premise was beyond promising, but the delivery was a total fail. I actually like books that address the reader and make them feel involved with the storyteller, but the author relied on this tactic too much with this story. In fact, it almost felt like that was a secondary editing measure to salvage the holes in the plot, "I'll just address the audience with some references to my ditziness as a character and that will explain everything ...more
Miranda
I found this book at the library and I checked it out because I thought it sounded like it would be funny. Lynn Wyman is linguist who trains men to properly communicate with women. But her career goes up in smoke when the media finds out her marriage to her philandering husband is on the rocks. After thumbing through a magazine she finds a story about the CEO of a major corporation named Brandon Brock who is in hot water with his board of directors due to his inability to effectively communicate ...more
Rachel
I really liked the dialogue and character development in this light romantic comedy (another great summer read). The one disappointment was the whole setup of a divorce and the main character's treatment of her ex to start off. Will definitely look for other books by this author.
Linda
This book was so hilarious at times! I love how hostile Brandon was when he and Lynn first met. She would make a comment how he communicated and then Brandon would say the exact opposite of what the comment expected.

The middle was Brandon learning to speak more politely towards women with a script Lynn made. It was okay, nothing spectacular or funny.

What got suspenseful was when Lynn tried to figure out who tattled on her to the media. I was surprised to find out who it was and I was glad for
Phair
Boy- I had to force myself to finish this piece of tripe. It read like a bad Harlequin romance- but that might be a disservice to Harlequins. Some of the "womenspeak" scripts were so irritating it was all I could do not to pull a wallbanger. It did raise some questions for me about my own communication style- I guess, according to Heller, I follow a more "menspeak" way of dealing with people: interrupting, not noticing personal details nor making personal inquiries, etc. Apart from that possibl ...more
Karen Knapp
quick read. humorous and light.
Danica Lamphere
Good story and fun characters.
Chi Dubinski
Lynn Wyman has a wildly successful practice in sensitivity training, teaching men how to communicate better with the women in their lives. Little does she know that her sensitive husband has been "communicating" with another woman--in the bedroom. With a marriage on the rocks and a career in nose-dive, Lynn is in desperate need of a life make-over. She finds it in Brandon Brock, the macho CEO on the cover of Fortune's magazine's "America's Toughest Bosses" issue.
Ellen
One of my goodreads friends recommended this...I'm not being coy, I really can't remember which one of you it was...as a light little read. I took it on vacation thinking it was just that, but it was a bit too light. The characters weren't at all developed and the story was about 100 pages too short. The plot was too simplistic, and neither it nor the relationships were well developed. Not chick-lit, chick-lit lite.
Lynn
This could have been a worthwhile and interesting read. I am always interested in the differences between the sexes. However, this was clearly written with the intention of selling well to the masses...not of making any valid points on male/female communication. It was just a stupid waste of time and I finished it only because it was my book club selection. After the fact, we were horrified we picked it.
bookczuk
Recommended to me by a friend who thought this a wonderful example of the genre. I didn't particularly care for it- or perhaps I should say, didn't particularly care for what I read of it, because I stopped reading. Life is too short to trudge through books that don't grab you.

But...there will be someone out there who will love this. I'm just not the one! It was passed along through BookCrossing.
Graceann
Nov 28, 2007 Graceann rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit fans
Shelves: chick-lit
Jane Heller takes on the inability of men and women to communicate effectively. Her main character, Dr. Lynn Wyman, has a course for men wherein she teaches them "Womenspeak." They are trained to ask for directions, to listen, and to ask "how was your day?" A spanner is thrown in the works, of course, and is hilariously dealt with in Heller's own comical style. Much fun ensues.
Trish
This is not my favorite Jane Heller novel, the premise sounded like it would be pretty good but it just fell flat. The premise of speaking and understanding the female mind just missed the mark. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend this book unless you're looking for a quick, easy and forgettable beach type reading.
Chelsea
Tracy
A Chinese food book, almost forgotten an hour after I was through with it. Light, fluffy, entertaining. The whole concept of "Womenspeak" came off as quite condescending, and the main character not all that likable. It's odd, though, because by the end I was still enjoying the book.
Ruth
This was a gift from Abby many moons ago! The premise sounds like it could be pure chick-lit fluff and unrealistic, but it actually was a lot of fun and deeper than I was expecting it to be. I haven't read anything by her since, but she's one of those authors who is on my to-read list.
Nin
A good enough read. Fairly funny but I don't quite like the female protagonist. Themes of backstabbing friends, unfaithful lovers, and "taming the lion" are evident. I'm not quite convinced of the "Wyman method" though. If you're in for a light read, you can grab this book. :D
Heather Young
This was an interesting and quick fun read. I rather enjoyed the main characters however I did figure out the 'story' before the ending but enjoyed the turn of events none the less. It was like watching a fun chick flic movie and would read it again as a vacation read.
Joy
It was an OK read, I loved the plot and there were a lot of interesting points but I don't believe the guy was transformed, he was just made aware of womenspeak and he could convert to menspeak anytime he wants. It's a feel good book and it's a rise-fall-rise again.
Britt Griffith
This was okay, although very unrealistic. A woman who is a linguist attempts to teach “America’s Worst Boss” into a more sensitive man. They eventually fall in love (of course) and live happily ever after. Not bad, but again, rather forgettable. I give it a C.
Alice
Quick read that draws you in, but I didn't find the plot or characters believable in any way. Also, I wasn't satisfied with the ending...I wanted to know how her relationships with her friends worked out after all the lies she told.
Kristen
Rather contrived. Jane Heller is not a mystery writer, but tries to pull off a 'mysterious twist.' It doesn't really work. Also, way too many stereotypes - the same ones over and over.... the horse is dead. Move on.
Bark's Book Nonsense
"Female Intelligence" wasn't the best book I've ever read but for a few hours of escapism it fit the bill. Though much of the dialogue is over the top the story contained enough wit to keep me turning the pages.
Feminist? 1 8 Jan 25, 2009 12:36PM
  • Flavor of the Month
  • Emma Who Saved My Life
  • Fountain of Age
  • The Spellman Series Box Set 1 - 4 (The Spellmans, #1-4)
  • Absolute Rage (Butch Karp, #14)
  • The Vanishing Newspaper: Saving Journalism in the Information Age
  • The Physics Of Consciousness: The Quantum Mind And The Meaning Of Life
  • Pregnancy Sucks: What to Do When Your Miracle Makes You Miserable
  • The Golden Cup
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Combined Set
  • Cress Delahanty
  • Jane Goes Batty (Jane Fairfax, #2)
  • Mama's Saris
  • If They Only Knew
  • Nerd Gone Wild (Nerds, #3)
  • Enquiries Concerning the Human Understanding / Concerning the Principles of Morals
  • A Monetary History of the United States 1867-1960
Jane Heller, a New York native who migrated to Santa Barbara, is the author of 13 novels of romantic comedy, including "Name Dropping," "Lucky Stars," and "Princess Charming." Nine of Heller's novels have been optioned for film or television, and all of them have been translated in countries around the world and are now available in ebook editions. Her first book of nonfiction, "Confessions of a S ...more
More about Jane Heller...
Name Dropping Best Enemies Some Nerve Sis Boom Bah An Ex To Grind