Start by marking “The Death of the Messiah, From Gethsemane to the Grave, Volume 1: A Commentary on the Passion Narratives in the Four Gospels” as Want to Read:

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  6 reviews
s/t: A Commentary on the Passion Narratives in the Four Gospels
Since its original publication in 1994 as a two-volume hardcover boxed set, "The Death of the Messiah" has lived up to early expectations and become the benchmark by which any future study of the Passion narratives will be measured. Now available in paperback, Raymond E. Brown's masterful study examines every d
Published December 1st 1998 by Yale University Press

Be the first to ask a question about The Death of the Messiah, From Gethsemane to the Grave, Volume 1

James
This is surely the most comprehensive study of the Passion narratives that has ever been done. Brown's work is solid, thorough and thoughtful. He makes his case, documents his rationale, and includes those who would disagree and why.

I completed Volume I during Lent this year, and will work through the second and final volume during Lent 2015. I'll also plan to work through his "Birth of the Messiah" in Advent this year, completing a set of books that have been on my bucket list for many years.

H
Sonya
Read every page of this multiple times, and yes, I mention it because it is a feat! One of the best books ever.
Greg Fanoe
Good, informative, and certainly appropriate for Lent, but just way too detailed for a casual reader like myself. I tend to give informative but really boring books 3 stars, so that's where I sit here.
Carol Wunderlich
880 pages of amazing, thorough, insightful scholarship and reflection on the passion narratives.... and Jesus isn't even on the cross yet. Need to get volume 2. Brown is, in my opinion, the most distinguished New Testament scholar!
Attillio Zarrella
Author has a way of bringing theology down to ground level!:)
Mike
Apr 14, 2010 Mike marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
available through Marina
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Rhett Travis
Rhett Travis marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Mars
Mars marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Paul Garcia
Paul Garcia is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2015
John Taylor
John Taylor is currently reading it
Feb 03, 2015
Kevin Maples
Kevin Maples marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
John-Paul
John-Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Ur Salem
Ur Salem marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Howard White
Howard White marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Dr. Z
Dr. Z added it
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Roman Catholic priest, member of Society of Saint-Sulpice and a prominent biblical scholar, esteemed by not only his colleagues of the same confession. One of the first Roman Catholic scholars to apply historical-critical analysis to the Bible.
More about Raymond E. Brown...
An Introduction to the New Testament The Birth of the Messiah The New Jerome Biblical Commentary An Introduction to New Testament Christology The Community of the Beloved Disciple