Start by marking “Attention - Deficit - Disorder” as Want to Read:
Attention - Deficit - Disorder

Attention - Deficit - Disorder

Days after his ex-girlfriend's suicide, Wayne flies to San Francisco for her funeral. When he learns that she aborted their child, Wayne embarks upon a search for meaning that takes him to unusual places and through some of the most influential events of the past ten years.
Published February 1st 2008 by Friday (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Attention - Deficit - Disorder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Attention - Deficit - Disorder

Ken
Jun 13, 2007 Ken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I had put off reading this book because of the decidedly mixed reviews it had received. I wish I hadn't waited. I just tore through this book in a few hours' time, and when I reached the end, it left me with that weird teary feeling that comes on when I really connect with a story.

The narrator of this book, Wayne, finds out that his ex-girlfriend has committed suicide. Over the course of the book, every decision he makes, each path he carves out is somehow colored by the horrible news he ha
Bethany Crawley
"Attention Deficit Disorder" is the story of Wayne, a young man who is far from figuring out what his life's "trajectory" involves. Two weeks after learning of his ex-girlfriend, Amanda's, suicide, Wayne is on a plane headed for the funeral. Next Wayne learns that while he was dating Amanda, she aborted their child. Wayne then realizes that the meaning of life has him utterly confounded. As you may expect, the remainder of the story is devoted to him, and his trying to find meaning in a world th ...more
Stephanie Austin
I want to say something smart about this novel because this is a smart novel. It deals with my favorite topics: grief and the unrelenting quest to understand one's existence.

The best moments in the book are when the narrator (Wayne Fencer) steps away from himself. Pamela the 16-year-old hooker in Cuba and Henry the guy who meets his birth mother for the first time are amazing moments of human survival. I laughed; I cried; I reread entire sections because I didn't want to miss anything.

The soli
Glenn
Apr 13, 2009 Glenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-general
Is it a dictionary? Is it a trvia book? Is it a novel? Well, actually, it's all three! The novel details a year in the life of a guy in his early 20's who finds out his ex-girlfriend committed suicide, and how he tries to accept and come to terms with it. This book held my attention well and included some interesting scenes and experiences that he went through.
Ursula Pflug
May 17, 2009 Ursula Pflug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Attention. Deficit. Disorder.
by Brad Listi
Paperback: 368 pages
Publisher: Simon Spotlight Entertainment; 1 edition (Jan 23 2007)
Price: $15.95
ISBN-10: 1416912363
ISBN-13: 978-1416912361

Review by Ursula Pflug

525 words

Brad Listi’s debut novel Attention. Deficit. Disorder is about the suicide of protagonist Wayne Fencer’s ex-girlfriend Amanda, and his subsequent journey as he deals with his grief, his guilt, and his attempt to regain some sense of meaning in his life.

The currently fashionable c
Chason
May 01, 2011 Chason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty quick read. The title is fitting in that many of the chapters are extremely brief, most being under four pages.
The story is told from the point of view of Wayne Fencer, a recent film school graduate from Colorado who goes on a quest to find himself after an ex-girlfriend commits suicide. The unexpected suicide of his ex leaves him questioning his purpose and what life is really all about.
He goes on a journey that is physical, mental, and spiritual. In the space of a year he fi
Scott
Jan 23, 2012 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am giving Brad Listi's "Attention. Deficit. Disorder." a VERY high three stars. I really enjoyed the book a ton. It was super fun to read, and Listi writes with a unique voice that is very much his own...literally. If you ever listen to his Other People podcast (if you aren't listening to this, do so now, because you are missing out on great author interviews), you'll know what I mean. I felt like I was listening to him reading this book to me, instead of the voices of the characters inside my ...more
Katharine
I was a little worried this would be yet another in a never ending series of books about young people finding themselves ... well, I guess it was. But still reeling from Eat, Pray, Love and then having to read The Death of Morrie on Tuesdays (kidding) ... I began it with some trepidation.

Picked it up because of the title, I think. And the blurb on the cover about him hitting lots of cultural literacy marks.

I just liked it. I liked his use of language -- clever and witty and grammatically correct
Victoria
May 14, 2010 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit-fic
The title caught my eye, and without even reading the description, I purchased a copy of Listi’s novel. Sometimes risks like this pay off, and this reading experience was certainly one of them! I really enjoyed this quirky book - even though it was ultimately about nothing. I really loved Listi’s writing style and his sense of humour. The definitions and short chapters sped the pacing along, and made it actually quite difficult to put down. On a personal level, I especially loved the casual ment ...more
nick
May 03, 2007 nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i've been keeping up with listi's blog for a few years now.

an avid fan of his every day blog.
an avid fan of his flawless novel.

i can easily say that this book does the title justice.

which is sometimes rare to find.

the style in which listi writes is unique and creative.

a very hard book to put down because of the
short chapters.

they just keep you going.

and going...

until you are done and completely satisfied.

i found this book to be about self-exploration.
this is also a read that no one could deny, i
Tonya Wertman
My book club, JUGS was fortunate enough to have Brad Listi as a guest speaker. What a real treat!

Listi's characters are throuroughly enjoyable and believable as they work through life's joys and problems. The short chapters, the brief definitions dispersed throughout the novel and the diversity of the narrator's stories all lend to the novel's title.

Check out Listi's Blog:

and Web site: www.THENERVOUSBREAKDOWN.COM

Jessica
This book had sub-topics I am really interested in: the Appalachian Trail and Burning Man, for example. Unfortunately, it was poorly written, a string of lackluster simplistic sentences that I would be disappointed to find a high school student writing. And the device of adding dictionary definitions and encyclopedia-like entries, which seemed like a great idea at the beginning, wore thin from overuse and from including entries that added nothing but the writer's contempt for the reader. On the ...more
Leesa
Jul 02, 2014 Leesa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A chill, conversational novel. Listi is obsessed w/the fact that life has the potential to be meaningless, IS meaningless? And it enables him as a writer/the characters to be super-emotional and sorta cold/distant @ the same time and it's sorta fascinating but what I think doesn't matter, right? as;ldjk BOOK REVIEWS DON'T MATTER. I mean, they don't tbqh. But yes, I'll read/would read his next book. Life, right? !
Erica
Mar 31, 2008 Erica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Of course the future is uncertain, but you have to be willing to step forward."

"The philosophy of utility fits every occasion."

"I've always had trouble accepting the notion of wildly obese health care professionals."

"I wasn't capable of that kind of deadpan performance. I lacked the self-control. I was too enamored of my own joke, and whenever that happened, I was doomed. And so too was the joke itself."
Susan
Jul 27, 2007 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of postmodernism, trivia
This is deliciously fragmented and postmodern, but I'm not sure it accomplishes what it sets out to do. Some of the digressions are a little unnecessary and there should've been a much greater emotional impact at the end.

I definitely learned a lot interesting facts along the way, although I would say that sometimes it was hard to tell what exactly was fact and what was just part of the fictional story. Either way, I admire the effort.

Grade: B+
bigmuzz
i read this book based on the cover and blurb alone... i had no idea what the book was going to be about, but i decided to give it a go, and found a book written in an interesting and punchy style, with nice short sharp chapters the make reading quite easy and enjoyable. the book is full of wit and funny stories and situations. not the best book ever written, but there are many interesting themes, issues and facts throughout to keep you turning the pages
Tanya
Jun 22, 2009 Tanya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book read so much like a memoir, and i really wanted it to be one. It is true that short chapters make for easy reading, especially when you have a 2 year old running around and you want to sneak a quick chapter here and there.

My only complaint were the series of definitions throughout the story, some of which i think could have been omitted.

I am not sure that the title fitted the story necessarily, but overall i wanted to keep reading so i am giving it an extra star. :-)
Kim
Sep 11, 2016 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably closer to 4 stars but I read this during day 3 of feeling like utter crap so that probably tainted the experience of an otherwise interesting and engaging story. Mainly wish I had liked the protagonist more, but other than that I enjoyed reading about his year of self discovery, especially Burning Man!
Anthony Fournier
Oct 17, 2013 Anthony Fournier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pleasant departure from the kind of book I normally read. Despite my misgivings on the definitions peppered throughout it, the story is essentially about the narrator's search for himself after some particularly bad news. I found the epilogue to be powerfully emotional. Do give this a shot, if you can find it.
Carrie
Sep 29, 2007 Carrie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There was some potential thread of a good story in this book, but it got buried in the frippery of random tangents and dictionary definitions. I got this book because I'd heard it compared to Dave Eggers' work. But it's not remotely close to the combination of hilarity and emotional resonance of "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius."
Jason
Aug 08, 2008 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Met and began talking with this guy through a myspace blog.. Mainly about that point in your early twenties where you realize that you know nothing about yourself or anything else for that matter.. Written as fiction, but im pretty sure its partially auto-biographical.
Lisette
Feb 24, 2008 Lisette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A refreshing journey into life's meaning in an era where there is a lack of communication and connection to the humanity inside of all of us. However this book resonates, we can all find ourselves in Wayne's path to find life's purpose.
Alan
Marginally enjoyable quick read. very short choppy chapters with little elaboration. Events happen rapidly and our hero doesn't spend much time thinking about things until the final post Ecstasy hangover. Not a major work, but fun
Katie
Jul 21, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, and written is a candid matter that makes it seem like it's not fiction. An easy read.
Mary
Jul 17, 2008 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one, but it was just lacking something... I wanted more.
Avid Reader
Jun 02, 2016 Avid Reader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strong 4.5: enjoyed the writing style, the characterisation, and the pace. Really worth reading.
Amanda
Dec 27, 2007 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like memory of running by ron mclarty
let me tell you, the title definitely fits the book. I had been reading this author's blog on myspace for some time now and thought I should check out his book. The book is well worth reading.
Lavinia Ludlow
Oct 03, 2009 Lavinia Ludlow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. Listi gets the reader feeling some pretty heavy emotions.

Great read. Great book.
Hilde Susan
Aug 03, 2008 Hilde Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Really resonated with me right now.
Kimberlee Auerbach
  • Falling Through the Earth
  • The Summer of Naked Swim Parties
  • Big Lonesome
  • BLACKBOX: A Novel in 840 Chapters
  • Green This!: Greening Your Cleaning (Green This, #1)
  • Fondling Your Muse: Infallible Advice from a Published Author to a Writerly Aspirant/A Hands-On Guide to Writing Your Very Own New York Times Bestseller
  • Nothing in the World
  • Man Camp
  • How Happy to Be
  • 4 Weeks to an Organized Life with AD/HD
  • Black Brillion
  • Suspension
  • Black Glass
  • Communion Blood (Saint-Germain, #12)
  • Attention Deficit Disorder - The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)