Start by marking “The Vacillations Of Poppy Carew” as Want to Read:
The Vacillations Of Poppy Carew

The Vacillations Of Poppy Carew

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  598 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
This lively and entertaining romp through England and Africa.

The Vacillations of Poppy Carew opens with two key events: the departure of Poppy’s thoroughly detestable lover, Edmund, for a richer woman, and the death of her father who, to the irritation of the nursing staff, dies in the midst of raucous laughter.

Poppy follows her father’s dying wish and organizes a “fun” f
Published July 17th 1987 by Black Swan (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Vacillations Of Poppy Carew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vacillations Of Poppy Carew

Feb 27, 2007 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of modern British novels
I had never heard of Mary Wesley until I asked an Englishman if he had seen "The Vacillations of Poppy Carew" and he answered "no, but I read it". It was an adapatation of a novel! What good luck! And what a good find. Since then I have read most of her novels and they are all charming, insightful, touching, and quite often funny. They are not readily available in the U.S. but I did find many of them at the public library here in New York. I also managed to find a good batch of them at a used bo ...more
Trena
Jun 19, 2015 Trena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the funniest books I have ever had the pleasure to read.
Manda
Jan 31, 2016 Manda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Deborah Purdon
Sep 19, 2015 Deborah Purdon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucky for me Mary Wesley wrote a stack of novels. I discovered her fiction last year, and while packing for five days on a Maine Windjammer I added this one to the pile. Even though The Vacillations of Poppy Carew was written about 30 years ago it held my attention and kept me entertained.
Julia Tracey
I liked this. The dad was enigmatic but seemed lovable and I felt for Poppy trying to get to know him, too late. Sad but in a good way. The bunch of lovers and the fun funeral were great additions. I like when couples end happily.
Emi
Feb 08, 2014 Emi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked it. Love how it ended with two characters I liked on first read.
Jewels
Jul 08, 2015 Jewels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read after a long time, still as good.
Feb 11, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just what I needed! A cleverly written, delightfully bouncy and bubbly story.
Blaire
Sep 03, 2007 Blaire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was the 2nd time I read this book, but didn't remember it well and didn't think I'd done it justice the first time. I was right. It has Wesley's usual strong and quirky female characters and a plot this is nicely crafted and neatly resolved. I'm always suprised by Westley because for some reason I expect her books to be quaint (maybe it's the covers), and they're very contemporary.
ice
Apr 15, 2008 ice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was 1999, and I didn't know what chicklit was. I even didn't know wether 'chicklit' word did exist at that time. But today, I consider The Vacillations of Poppy Carew is a pretty chicklit.
At least, it entertained me and made me feel relaxed. I love how the story flows, and surprises me ..
Mary Wesley, the author, makes me keep reading ..
Sunny
Feb 02, 2013 Sunny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I had expected something with more charm I guess. It's ok, but did not sweep me off my feet. Most annoying was how everyone knew each other or of each other... I know the uk is small, but hardly so small that strangers meeting each other invariably have tons of friends or parents friends in common. Made London feel like too cozy a village.
Paula
Jun 16, 2016 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Brilliant! Not your run of the mill romances. I love the characters, the twists and turns. Poppy Carew is in search of something after a rotten relationship and the death of her father. A nice easy read that keep you turning the pages. I'm definitely will be seeking out more of Mary Wesley's books
Vanessa
I found this book at the post office. Someone had put it there as a traveling book. At the time I was vacilating on a decision so I thought it was worth reading. It was a pretty good read and became a nice distraction from my indecisiveness. I left it at the same post office after reading to keep it traveling. :)
J
Jan 01, 2008 J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mary Wesley's stories are populated by quirky personalities. Some you'll like and some you won't, but all of them you'll believe. I read Poppy Carew in a weekend maybe fifteen years ago and it's still a favorite of mine. Why? Because it made me laugh.
Nancy
May 05, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012

I enjoyed this a lot. Funny and charming. A romance with brains. My only quibble would be the heroine who drifts along with whatever happens and constantly gets dragged off by the men in her life. She's not exactly a feminist role model.
Celia Powell
I generally like Mary Wesley's books - they're my snuggly, comfort reads. I think is probably my least favourite - so many of the characters were intensely irritating rather than the endearingly quirky that Wesley usually evokes. Disappointing.
Joelle Anthony
Jun 26, 2013 Joelle Anthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wesley was an incredibly good writer, and always surprises. I loved so much about this book, but was a bit tired of it by the end. Just the last thirty pages or so. Still, amazing writer. I love some of her other books more, though.
sherdnerdess
A brilliant and quirky novel despite the early tragedy and constant peril. I'm slightly ashamed not to have read it before now especially as it has been on my physical shelf for well over a year.
carl  theaker
Jun 28, 2010 carl theaker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fancy-fiction

Good read, author was first published at age 70, mmm don't give up!
Read this for a Jung society book class on the knots of relationships,
so that's the subject matter.
Patricia
I'm stuck on Mary Wesley at the moment. Easy read but there are some worrying views about relationships between men and women.
Catherine Robertson
Mary Wesley is most certainly not all sweetness and light. That's what makes her wonderful
Maha
Jul 01, 2010 Maha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Odd. There's no other way to describe this book. I couldn't find a point to it.
Angela
Nov 06, 2015 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely light reading, witty and comical. Recommend!
Corinne.Galletlygmail.Com
Corinne.Galletlygmail.Com rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Sarah added it
Jul 16, 2016
Daisy Steel
Daisy Steel rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2016
O Babs
O Babs rated it liked it
Robert Tujlly
Robert Tujlly rated it it was ok
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Louise Brown
Louise Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
  • For Once in My Life: A Novel
  • Harriet
  • The Cat Who Came in from the Cold
  • Wicked Women
  • Cold Shoulder Road (The Wolves Chronicles, #9)
  • Cast a Yellow Shadow (Mac McCorkle, #2)
  • Mrs Eckdorf in O'Neill's Hotel
  • Good Girls Do Swallow: The Darkly Comic True Story of How One Woman Stopped Hating Her Body
  • Testament of Experience
  • The Blue-Eyed Salaryman: From World Traveller to Lifer at Mitsubishi
Mary Wesley, CBE (24 June 1912 – 30 December 2002) was a English novelist. She reportedly worked in MI5 during World War II.[citation needed]During her career, she became one of Britain's most successful novelists, selling three million copies of her books, including 10 best-sellers in the last 20 years of her life.

She wrote three children's books, Speaking Terms and The Sixth Seal (both 1969) and
More about Mary Wesley...