Start by marking “Elephantmen, Vol. 2: Fatal Diseases” as Want to Read:
Elephantmen, Vol. 2: Fatal Diseases

Elephantmen, Vol. 2: Fatal Diseases (Elephantmen #2)

Collecting issues #8-14 of Image Comics' hit Pulp Science Fiction series, Elephantmen: Fatal Diseases details the lives of Hip Flask, Ebony Hide, Obadiah Horn, and the rest of the survivors of MAPPO's genetic experiments in Los Angeles, 2259, as a meteor falls in Santa Monica Bay and a new epidemic must be contained!
Published October 1st 2008 by Image Comics (first published June 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Elephantmen, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elephantmen, Vol. 2

Pturingan
I felt that there was too little "main story" in favor of back stories, side stories, supporting character short stories and other extras. I would have thought that by now, 2 trade paperbacks or 14 issues or so into the series, we would be done setting the scene and introducing the world and the story would be moving forward.

Just the same, the art is still very, very nice and the overall book design is gorgeous, making it really stand out in my bookshelf. I'll probably buy one more volume before
Aildiin
Jul 27, 2016 Aildiin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This is growing on me!
The art is really good by the way.
Bryan
Jan 16, 2012 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This TPB of Elephantmen, collecting issues #8 to #15 plus the "pilot" issue, continues where the first volume left off and only gets better.

The world and characters are more fleshed out and the entire concept begins to really solidify into a coherent whole.

The art continues to be strong, though as in the other volumes, the computer generated nature of much of it is readily apparent. Again, this is not a bad thing, but I think the desire to apply the lush computer colours overshadows the need for
Erik
Aug 06, 2009 Erik rated it really liked it
This latest and second hardbound collection of Image Comics’ Elephantmen deepens the plot since the last time Starkings and Moritat took us into the world of Hip Flask and friends. Not only does an alien virus hit the earth, with potentially fatal consequences for one major player in our futuristic serial, but Sahara’s father ominously emerges out of the shadows as a powerful character whose motives are dubious at best, and malevolent at worst. Wheels within wheels and fires within fires.

Althou
Jacob
Not much more to report than in volume 1. Still an interesting, fun world with fun characters and an engaging story. Unlike volume 1, the book isn't physically falling apart, so I guess that may just have been my copy. Maybe...

The one new thing is the "Pilot" section, where a character has a few short comics based on the Elephantman Hip Flask. These are fun stories, fictional within the broader Epephantmen world and they have varying writing and artistic styles. They're all pretty fun (much bett
Jason
Apr 23, 2016 Jason rated it it was amazing
Assuming you know the basis for this story set out in Vol. 1, here are my thoughts from this wonderful continuation.

One thing that stood out for me not just in Vol. 1, but even more so in 2, was how excellent the characterization is. Even side characters, like Miki, have personality to the point where you care about them and want to see how they develop into the story. I have really enjoyed how layered the story has been as well, combining past flashbacks to fill in current relationship dynamic
Mel
Jun 28, 2014 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pulp, scifi, bought2014
I am so happy I discovered this series. It really is just one of the most beautiful things ever! I love the art and the stories and the characters and just everything. I read this slightly out of order because I borrowed number 3 from the library but think I will have to buy a copy so I have them all.

In this volume the humour got a bit meta with online elaphantmen comics in the story (which I found a bit disappointing as the art was old fashioned comic book style). There were some great moments
Andrew
Sep 21, 2014 Andrew rated it did not like it
I enjoyed volume 1 quite a bit, but after reading 14 issues of this series I feel like I haven't learnt a thing about the Elephantmen that I didn't know in the first couple issues, I don't know any of the characters, and the story is meandering and dull.

The artist is phoning it in - check out his work with Jodorowsky on the Final Incal for a comparison. I don't mind the artwork, but it's very loose and the digital coloring ruins everything. After Ladronn leaves the book, the art becomes very in
Andy
Jun 13, 2010 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
The second volume of Elephantmen collects 8-15 plus 'Pilot'. This book is huge. Heavy, dense, thick paper, beautiful design. Despite the individual nature of the series the ongoing story develops further with an intriguing development near the end relating to the past war and the mysterious virus that wiped out Europe. The hard boiled gritty language is entertaining and perfecxt for the genre but really it's all about the art which continues to be beautiful. The dark and grimy future world depic ...more
Craig
Nov 08, 2011 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the art in these books and the overall graphic design that goes into them, but continue to find the rather elliptical style of storytelling a bit frustrating. Though I did find, having read volume 2 after volumes 3 and 4, that it didn't really hurt my understanding of events, etc. The way things jump around in time and backtrack and so forth, you can pretty much read these in any order.
James Elkins
Richard Starkings and crew deliver again, as advertised, PULP! SCIENCE! FICTION!. I have to admit these are great stories and I was a fool for not picking up the individual issues when they first started.
Matt
Sep 11, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: elephantmen
Oh, man. Muuuuuch better than War Toys. Learning more about Serengheti was great; he's not just a thug anymore, he's got actual depth now, and there's a tie to other characters that make his hatred of the Elephantmen make more sense.

Plus, CHINA.
Christopher
Jun 14, 2013 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything I love about comics (great writing, gorgeous artwork, complex metaphors, a greater sociological commentary, humor, dynamic characters). I've found my series, and it maintains it's excellence throughout.
Timothy Pitkin
May 15, 2016 Timothy Pitkin rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, furry, dystopian
Good world building but kind of wished that it focused on the ongoing story instead of having a bunch of short stories in the middle but still great artwork and love Hip and all of the Elephant men.
Jordan
Aug 01, 2012 Jordan rated it liked it
A good continuation of the series. Doesn't have the same smack as the first collection, but still very interesting and intriguing.
Vladimir A Brik
Vladimir A Brik rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2014
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2013
Rubi
Rubi rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2012
James
James rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2013
Francisco Verduzco
Francisco Verduzco rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2015
Adrià
Adrià rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Chuck Messinger
Chuck Messinger rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2012
Jack Ostoja
Jack Ostoja rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2014
Jacob
Jacob rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2011
Devin Bruce
Devin Bruce rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2013
Meisuppose
Meisuppose rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2014
Mitchiv
Mitchiv rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Michael Lugo
Michael Lugo rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2013
Gavin Udall
Gavin Udall rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2012
  • Atomic Robo and the Dogs of War (Atomic Robo, #2)
  • Fear Agent, Volume 2: My War
  • Stray Bullets, Vol. 2: Somewhere Out West
  • Heart of Empire, or The Legacy of Luther Arkwright  (Luther Arkwright, #2)
  • The Fuse, Vol. 1: The Russia Shift
  • American Flagg!, Vol. 1
  • Aetheric Mechanics
  • Empowered, Volume 5 (Empowered, #5)
  • Sisters at War (Carbon Grey #1)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 9: 1946 (B.P.R.D., #9)
  • Pax Romana
  • Cowboy Ninja Viking Volume 1 (Cowboy Ninja Viking, #1)
  • Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 7