Start by marking “Elephantmen, Vol. 2: Fatal Diseases” as Want to Read:
Elephantmen, Vol. 2: Fatal Diseases

Elephantmen, Vol. 2: Fatal Diseases (Elephantmen #2)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Collecting issues #8-14 of Image Comics' hit Pulp Science Fiction series, Elephantmen: Fatal Diseases details the lives of Hip Flask, Ebony Hide, Obadiah Horn, and the rest of the survivors of MAPPO's genetic experiments in Los Angeles, 2259, as a meteor falls in Santa Monica Bay and a new epidemic must be contained!
Published October 1st 2008 by Image Comics (first published June 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Elephantmen, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elephantmen, Vol. 2

Pturingan
I felt that there was too little "main story" in favor of back stories, side stories, supporting character short stories and other extras. I would have thought that by now, 2 trade paperbacks or 14 issues or so into the series, we would be done setting the scene and introducing the world and the story would be moving forward.

Just the same, the art is still very, very nice and the overall book design is gorgeous, making it really stand out in my bookshelf. I'll probably buy one more volume before
Mel
I am so happy I discovered this series. It really is just one of the most beautiful things ever! I love the art and the stories and the characters and just everything. I read this slightly out of order because I borrowed number 3 from the library but think I will have to buy a copy so I have them all.

In this volume the humour got a bit meta with online elaphantmen comics in the story (which I found a bit disappointing as the art was old fashioned comic book style). There were some great moments
Bryan
This TPB of Elephantmen, collecting issues #8 to #15 plus the "pilot" issue, continues where the first volume left off and only gets better.

The world and characters are more fleshed out and the entire concept begins to really solidify into a coherent whole.

The art continues to be strong, though as in the other volumes, the computer generated nature of much of it is readily apparent. Again, this is not a bad thing, but I think the desire to apply the lush computer colours overshadows the need for
Erik
This latest and second hardbound collection of Image Comics’ Elephantmen deepens the plot since the last time Starkings and Moritat took us into the world of Hip Flask and friends. Not only does an alien virus hit the earth, with potentially fatal consequences for one major player in our futuristic serial, but Sahara’s father ominously emerges out of the shadows as a powerful character whose motives are dubious at best, and malevolent at worst. Wheels within wheels and fires within fires.

Althou
Andrew
Dec 02, 2014 Andrew rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I enjoyed volume 1 quite a bit, but after reading 14 issues of this series I feel like I haven't learnt a thing about the Elephantmen that I didn't know in the first couple issues, I don't know any of the characters, and the story is meandering and dull.

The artist is phoning it in - check out his work with Jodorowsky on the Final Incal for a comparison. I don't mind the artwork, but it's very loose and the digital coloring ruins everything. After Ladronn leaves the book, the art becomes very in
Andy
The second volume of Elephantmen collects 8-15 plus 'Pilot'. This book is huge. Heavy, dense, thick paper, beautiful design. Despite the individual nature of the series the ongoing story develops further with an intriguing development near the end relating to the past war and the mysterious virus that wiped out Europe. The hard boiled gritty language is entertaining and perfecxt for the genre but really it's all about the art which continues to be beautiful. The dark and grimy future world depic ...more
Craig
I love the art in these books and the overall graphic design that goes into them, but continue to find the rather elliptical style of storytelling a bit frustrating. Though I did find, having read volume 2 after volumes 3 and 4, that it didn't really hurt my understanding of events, etc. The way things jump around in time and backtrack and so forth, you can pretty much read these in any order.
Matt
Oh, man. Muuuuuch better than War Toys. Learning more about Serengheti was great; he's not just a thug anymore, he's got actual depth now, and there's a tie to other characters that make his hatred of the Elephantmen make more sense.

Plus, CHINA.
Christopher
Everything I love about comics (great writing, gorgeous artwork, complex metaphors, a greater sociological commentary, humor, dynamic characters). I've found my series, and it maintains it's excellence throughout.
James Elkins
Richard Starkings and crew deliver again, as advertised, PULP! SCIENCE! FICTION!. I have to admit these are great stories and I was a fool for not picking up the individual issues when they first started.
Jordan
A good continuation of the series. Doesn't have the same smack as the first collection, but still very interesting and intriguing.
Jack Hope III
Not 100% sure where the story is going, but the artwork is beautiful. I plan to finish the series.
Andre
The visuals are there. The story gets teased out a bit at a time.
Josh Carpenter
Josh Carpenter marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Kendall
Kendall marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Marc Jones
Marc Jones marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Martin
Martin added it
Nov 16, 2014
Dustin Biggs
Dustin Biggs marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Alyska
Alyska added it
Aug 27, 2014
Mattheus Locatelli
Mattheus Locatelli marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Atomic Robo and the Dogs of War (Atomic Robo, #2)
  • Fear Agent, Volume 1: Re-Ignition
  • American Flagg!, Vol. 1
  • Hellboy, Vol. 11: The Bride of Hell and Others (Hellboy, #11)
  • Concrete Volume 2: Heights
  • Akira, Vol. 2 (Akira, #2)
  • Kamandi, the Last Boy on Earth Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Heart of Empire, or The Legacy of Luther Arkwright
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 5
  • Revival, Vol. 2: Live Like You Mean It
  • Haunt of Horror: Lovecraft
Elephantmen, Vol. 1: Wounded Animals Elephantmen, Vol. 3: Dangerous Liaisons Elephantmen, Vol. 4: Questionable Things Elephantmen, Vol. 0: Armed Forces Elephantmen Volume 5: Devilish Functions