Start by marking “Thomas' Snowsuit” as Want to Read:
Thomas' Snowsuit

Thomas' Snowsuit

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,487 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Thomas refuses to wear his new snowsuit despite the pleas of his mother, his teacher, and even his principal.
Published June 1st 1985 by Annick Press (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Thomas' Snowsuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thomas' Snowsuit

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
498th out of 3,501 books — 5,202 voters
Love You Forever by Robert MunschThe Paper Bag Princess by Robert MunschMud Puddle by Robert MunschThomas' Snowsuit by Robert MunschStephanie's Ponytail by Robert Munsch
Best Robert Munsch Books
4th out of 31 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Katina
Apr 24, 2013 Katina rated it really liked it
I read this book as a child and thought it was hilarious. I just read a few of the other reviews of this book, and come on people! The ladies who rated this a 1 star because the child changes clothes with everyone and it looks unseemly to see the adults in their underwear....Lighten up!! Plus, have you ever tried to put clothes on a child who doesn't want to wear them? Get a sense of humor! This book is funny!! Your kids will think it is funny too! (and if you feel the need to sensor this book b ...more
Eva Leger
Sep 03, 2011 Eva Leger rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julias-books
I grabbed this off of the put back cart at the library the other day because I recognized the name of the author from Love You Forever. I have issues with that book so I wanted to see if this was along the same lines or not.
I've come to the conclusion that Munsch is/was a strange, strange man. I was somewhat startled when I got to the page with the teacher and child in their under clothes with the principal sticking his head in the door as if catching something in the act.
I've never considered m
Lara Vickers
Oct 27, 2012 Lara Vickers rated it liked it
Shelves: author-study
I read this book for our author study of Robert Munsch. This title is classic Munsch in that the children are more competent than the adults and craziness ensues! This one is easy for kids to relate to. Young children preK-2 can probably think of a time their parents made them wear something they didn't like and will also enjoy how Thomas shows the adults in the end, how easy it is to get him to wear the snowsuit.

The illustrations make the text come alive. Without the visuals to accompany the te
Kat Evans
Mar 14, 2014 Kat Evans rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Kat by: was mentioned in a facebook group.
It's absurd. I would not even read it to my kids. I read everything before they do to be sure it meets my standards and frankly, its far to out there for them. They would have a problem with people "picking up a kid and a snowsuit to stick them together" and then them having a huge fight that ends up with everyone in the wrong clothing. I'm afraid I also found it inappropriate that the teacher and the child were in their underwear together and the principal had no qualms about it. That tells kid ...more
La Coccinelle
Oct 08, 2014 La Coccinelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I'm a fan of Robert Munsch's books, and I have been since I was little. I giggled through The Paper Bag Princess, sang along with Mortimer, and even had a French edition of Murmel, Murmel, Murmel (which, apparently, does not translate very well). I can't recall reading Thomas' Snowsuit back then. If I had, I'm not sure what sort of reaction I would have had... but as an adult reading it in 2014, I'm not that impressed. In fact, it left me a little uneasy.

The premise of a willful child is fine...
Connie
Feb 08, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it
Munsch writes some really funny books. In this one, Thomas won't put on his snowsuit. It's UGLY, and he has no qualms about saying so whenever the grown-ups try to make him wear it. In the ensuing fights, his teacher ends up in his snowsuit, his principal and teacher end up swapping clothes by accident, everybody ends up in their underwear, and Thomas puts on his snowsuit when he decides it's important to go out in the snow.

Bunch of silly nonsense, no moral whatsoever. That's refreshing, isn't i
Teddie Trombley
Apr 30, 2014 Teddie Trombley rated it it was amazing
This book is about a little boy named Thomas and one winter day his mom comes home from shopping with the ugliest snowsuit that Thomas has ever seen in his life and he thinks his mom is crazy for thinking that he would ever wear that. The next day when it is time for Thomas to get dressed for school Thomas’s mom tells him to put on his snowsuit but Thomas says no. Then his mom chases Thomas around the whole house creating a giant mess all throughout the house but she finally gets the snowsuit on ...more
Celticoracle
Apr 14, 2014 Celticoracle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mini-me, canadian
Oh, how I can relate to this one... there's really nothing like trying to dress a toddler that doesn't want anything to do with the process. And Mini-Me can sure relate to Thomas in that regard. :)

Apparently, this is an abridged version of the original - something that seems to be a norm with board books nowadays. I find it frustrating, because I love the original in many cases. Guess I'll have to track down the original of this one to see how it compares.
Shannon
There are no words that can truly capture the love I feel for the brilliance of Robert Munsch! Adults love his writings just as much as children do! This book is no exception! What makes this one of his best - is that it is so true! I have a younger sister and have experienced this very situation (not the exact situation mind you but definitely along the spirit of the story)!
Shannon
Jun 01, 2010 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: moira-recommends
Thomas hates his snowsuit and resists putting it on when adults try to force him. Moira loves it because she gets to help read it, saying "Nnnnnnnno!" at the right times. I cannot recommend books by Robert Munsch enough. His stories are always fun and silly. He also does a good job of commiserating with kids about the silly things that adults do, like trying to force someone to put on clothing they hate rather then just wait until they are ready. He's a Canadian childhood institution who isn't w ...more
Megan
Jan 31, 2015 Megan rated it did not like it
This book teaches two inappropriate things. First that it okay and funny to tell adults no. More frightening is that it teaches that children and their teachers and principals in their underwear together and switching clothes is normal or acceptable.
Kate
Oct 27, 2014 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-hobbit
I purchased the board book version of this story not realizing how abridged it was. I loved this story as a kid but I am very disappointed with this version of it and don't even want to share it with my little one.
Aug 06, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All children
Shelves: reviewed
This book is so hilarious. I recommended it to every parent and while your at it you might as well read it to your child. Its another memory filled childhood classic for me. Gotta luv the Munsch!
Megan
Oct 08, 2012 Megan rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Munsch book! I'm not quite sure why, but I just think it is the most funny of his books to read. Thomas, like any kid in his position, doesn't want to wear his ugly brown snowsuit around. The adults around him try and get Thomas in his snowsuit and in order to get Thomas in he suit, the adults around him end up swapping clothes until everyone is in their underwear (which will cause a big laugh with children) and Thomas decides to put on his suit by himself because he wanted t ...more
Brady Pullman
Feb 14, 2014 Brady Pullman rated it really liked it
This is a fun book that could be used to introduce class rules and talk about listening to the teacher. I could also talk about how sometimes teachers can learn from students.
Nealam
Copyright date: June 1, 1989
-Thomas does not want to wear his snowsuit.
-Kindergarten students could relate to this story.
-Very funny.
-Predictable text so students can follow along.
Kim
Nov 13, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
As a kid, Ithink this book was one of my favourite Robert Munsch books. I have no clue why. It is intresting to read children's books as you grow up.
Rebecca
Jan 28, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
one of the best silly books i read as a kid. every time i see a little kid in a snowsuit, i think of the illustration of the teacher in thomas' snowsuit.
Redfox5
Can't say I was that keen on this book. Didn't like the drawing style and the story wasn't that great. I think kids will like it though.
Cat.
Aug 31, 2014 Cat. rated it it was amazing
I love this book! We read it endlessly to the kid when he was little, and the situation and drawings are stellar.
Jim
Mar 15, 2014 Jim rated it liked it
Max's review:

The weirdest book I ever read!

It was weird. Munsch seems to like underwear.
Tiffany
Feb 16, 2014 Tiffany rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious! The story is funny for kids and adults, and the pictures make it even funnier.
george
Jul 15, 2008 george rated it really liked it
Thomas' mother has bought him a brand new snowsuit. Unfortunately for Thomas, he thinks that it is hideously ugly and refuses to wear it. His mother yells at him to put it on, but Thomas is adament. With a huge struggle, mom wins and Thomas is off to school in his ugly snowsuit. But when it's time for recess, Thomas once again refuses to put on the snowsuit and no one can make him. The teacher tries, but it ends up in chaos.

Fun, silly book about a willful little child. Funny and amusing, the ill
Angela Foley
Dec 04, 2014 Angela Foley rated it it was amazing
Munsch is such a funny author and I really would love to have more of his work in the future!
Andrea
Nov 15, 2008 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is a great way to relay the idea that sometimes you just can't make a kid do something until they are ready to do it themselves. Oh, did I say kid? I mean ANYONE! :)

It is silly. Most of his books are, but its fun.

Sometimes I have people tell me they don't like Robert Munsch because his books model bad behavior. In my opinion, it is done so extremely that I believe our kids (who are pretty intelligent people) understand the extremity and know it is bad behavior. They aren't going to act
Bree
Notes:
lots of laughter from the kids when the clothes start changing the wrong way; adults who hate this book need to read it to a kid; my kids both realize this boy is a "brat" and needs discipline (and I didn't have to tell them that)
Natalie
Shelves: picture
Munschworks collection
Denisse
Apr 21, 2014 Denisse rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book! I may be biased because Robert Munsch is one of my favorite authors but I really think this book has meaning and should have been a classic. It tells the story of how you can't really MAKE a child do something until they're ready to. This applies to everyone, but I think anyone who works with kids can especially relate to this story of the adult's rising anxiety and sense of defeat when Thomas refuses to wear his new snowsuit, and then that immediate sense of triumph when the c ...more
David
Feb 09, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Thomas' Snowsuit by Robert N. Munsch, illustrated by Michael Martchenko, features another determined boy. Thonas HATES his ugly new snowsuit & severely resists wearing it when adults try to force him. The trouble starts when he says "Nnnnnnnno!" and goes straight into a fight and chaos. The illustrations are quite hillarious. The action is so exaggerated it's hysterical. A good read-aloud, but not necessarily in school situations.

For Ages 3 to 7, humorous storyies and fans of Robert N. Munsc
  • The Wonderful Pigs of Jillian Jiggs
  • Red Is Best
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • The Secret World of Og
  • The Principal's New Clothes
  • AlphaOops!: The Day Z Went First
  • The Subway Mouse
  • Mouse Count
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil
More about Robert Munsch...