Start by marking “Alligator Baby” as Want to Read:
Alligator Baby

Alligator Baby

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,212 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
From Robert Munsch, storyteller extraordinaire and author of the runaway best-seller LOVE YOU FOREVER, comes this laugh-out-loud family tale!

Kristen's parents just can't seem to do anything right. First they have their baby at the zoo, not in a hospital. Then, they accidentally bring home an baby alligator instead! After it bites everyone on the nose, they return to the zo
Published April 1st 2002 by Cartwheel (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Alligator Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alligator Baby

Merrylinn
Sep 19, 2014 Merrylinn rated it really liked it
Level L guided reading
Mumof4
Jan 03, 2014 Mumof4 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any parent having another child
Upon looking to purchase a another copy of this book I saw some negative reviews and I had to make a case for it... I've purchased many copies of Alligator baby over the years, at least 10 copies, because it really is a good read, and adults, it's not meant for you - you need to understand this. That may be why you don't like it. It's a kid's book. Your daughter brings the book to you because she can relate to it. If you can think like a child, no matter how educated you have become, then you ...more
Theresa Womack
Alligator Baby by Robert Munch and illustrated by Michael Martchenko is a great book to read to children, when their parents are expecting another child. The pictures are in full bleed with most of the words on the opposite page and some of the words framed in the pages. With this book if the words weren't in the book you could tell the story just by looking at the pictures. The parents go to have a baby, but keep bringing the wrong baby back because instead of going to the hospital to have the ...more
Herbie Behm
Feb 20, 2012 Herbie Behm rated it it was ok
Alligator Baby by Robert Munsch was a comical book about a family who just had a new born baby and just can’t seem to do anything right. The pictures are symmetrical to the writing. It was drawn in a very comical way that enhanced the comical feel of the book. The font used contradicted the story. A basic Arial font was used which gave the book a serious feel. A colored border surrounded each text box, which added to the non-fiction feel the font was implying. However, the color used on each ...more
Victoria Hawkins
Aug 31, 2014 Victoria Hawkins rated it it was ok
In the book, Alligator Baby, by Robert Munsch, shows the love a little girl has for her new baby brother. One night her mother yelled, "I am having a baby," her father got her mother in the car and headed to the hospital. However they go lost and went to the zoo. After the baby was born they brought the baby back home to meet his big sister. But when they got to the house to show her, her little brother the little girl she realized that it was not her baby brother. Then her parents go back and ...more
Andrea
Feb 08, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alex-books
This is a fun book to read with your children, but it is a totally outrageous concept. As if you would deliver your baby at the zoo because you got lost on the way to the hospital (where's your GPS) and then brought home a baby animal instead of your newborn (humans and alligators are slightly different anatomically). I can't help but wonder where child services is during this situation. Who is taking care of the baby when he is alone at the zoo?

However, if this were to ever happen, I love that
Jacklyn
Oct 22, 2014 Jacklyn rated it it was amazing
Alligator Baby by Robert Munsch talks about how Kristen’s parents kept getting the wrong baby from the zoo! Kristen’s mother gave birth to a baby at the zoo. Her parents kept mixed up their baby with animals like alligator, seal, and monkey. Finally, Kristen decided she will go get the baby herself. This time, Kristen got it right. But they forgot to return the baby animals and the parent animals broke into their house in the end.
This is a really fun story to read and watch! I really like how t
Daniel
Sep 05, 2008 Daniel rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
We have a fairly extensive collection of Robert Munsch books. They're like literary candy to the kids (though those same youngsters are getting a little too old to enjoy most of these books now).

This particular book really is there only for humor purposes. Please don't misunderstand me ... I love humor just for the sake of humor! This is a fun, occassional read, but I do enjoy the Munsch books that have just a little more substance or message.

Here, the idiotic parents continue to bring the wrong
Winny Yang
Jan 03, 2013 Winny Yang rated it it was ok
Shelves: december, picture
This book was not as good as "Smelly Socks", but it was still enjoyable as well. This book was about Kristen's family mixing up their babies with a baby alligator. Why, you might ask ? Their family got lost on the way to the hospital so they had to deliver their baby at the zoo.

I decided to pick this book up because i was at the library with my brother and since we just borrowed "Smelly Socks", we decided to borrow other books from Robert Munsch. This was the only other book left in the library.
Dan Fleming
Apr 25, 2011 Dan Fleming rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was hilarious! After I read it I looked up Robert Munsch and found other similar books that would be great for young children. Vibrant pictures and easy to read text makes these great for ELL and ESE students. The book Alligator Baby is about a young girl who takes it upon herself to find her sibling when her parents accidentally bring home the wrong newborn. Though Kristen realizes that the strange creature who now shares her house is not human, she cannot get her dizzy ...more
Courtney Gregory
Apr 07, 2014 Courtney Gregory rated it really liked it
Alligator Baby is written by Robert Munsch. This magnificent story is about a little girl whose mom has her new baby brother and brings him home. The baby slaps, kicks, bites and does a list of other things to her. For every action the baby does, the little girl gives her baby brother a new animal identity. Because she identifies her baby brother as an animal, she claims he is NOT her baby brother. The text in the book is great and full of descriptive language. Munsch uses several onomatopoeias ...more
Connie
Jul 26, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it
Another weird book by Munsch.

Kristen's clueless parents drive to the zoo instead of the hospital when her mom is in labor. Three times, they ignore their daughter's warnings that their son is another's, and three times they get whapped in the face by the not-a-people-baby.

Finally, Kristen has to save the day, which she does in a quick and admirable way (the illustrations in the zoo are funny in and of themselves, by the way). Everybody gets their own baby back, and we're told that everything is
Amie Anderson
Sep 18, 2013 Amie Anderson rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng261
Alligator Baby is a humorous story that kids in grades K-2 would enjoy having read to them. It is a picture book that tells the story of a girl named Kristen whose parents are about to have a baby, but instead of going to the hospital, they accidentally go to the zoo to deliver the baby. Instead of bringing back a human baby, they bring back an alligator baby, and when they go to return it, they come back with a different animal, and chaos ensues! Children will enjoy the repetition and ...more
Madison
Jun 06, 2016 Madison rated it it was ok
Shelves: robert-munsch
This young couple is having their second baby- unfortunately they take a wrong turn and end up having the baby at the zoo instead. From there they accidentally take the wrong baby home! This happens numerous times until the animals from the zoo come to the house to get their babies back.

Much like the other Robert Munsch picturebooks, the illustrations are striking and very fun to look at. The text and the illustrations go hand in hand and play off of each other to make the story that much more i
Jen
Jul 03, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
Kristen's parents are due to have a baby any minute and when that time comes, they get lost on the way and end up at the zoo! They end up bringing home an alligator baby instead! After the parents go back to the zoo numerous times to retrieve their son and still come back with another animal baby, Kristen volunteers to go bring her brother back.

I normally like Munsch books as they are so funny, but this one didn't strike a chord with me like others have. I absolutely love Stephanie's Ponytail by
Jan
Dec 05, 2009 Jan rated it really liked it
Kristen's mother is having a baby. She and father hurry to the hospital, but they end up at the zoo instead. Somehow the babies got mixed up, and the one Kristen's mother brought home had a long green tail, a green claw, and a long green face with lots of teeth. That's not a people face!
Two more trips back to the zoo to find Kristen's baby brother are equally unsuccessful. Finally Kristen makes the trip herself, and rescues her baby brother.

A silly story for toddlers who laugh at the various ani
Kristin
Mar 30, 2008 Kristin rated it really liked it
It has been a long time since I last read this...my children used to love Munsch's silly book. I pulled it out tonight to read to my three year old. I didn't really think this would hold his attention, as he is autistic and I often lose him halfway through the longer picture books. Surprisingly, he listened to the end and even laughed in some appropriate spots. My eleven year old heard me reading this and immediately said, "I remember this - I love this one!." Then he climbed on the bed and the ...more
Kate
Mar 06, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
I think this may be one of those books that adults just don't "get." Robert Munsch has such a tremendous gift for storytelling and his books tend to avoid blanket morals; they don't talk down to kids. A lot of books have humour that is hilarious to adults but that kids won't necessarily "get." I feel like Robert Munsch is writing for the kids not the parents or teachers. Most of his books read well to a group. However, they need to be read to older groups rather than younger. The majority of his ...more
Jack
Dec 29, 2015 Jack rated it liked it
Shelves: k-g-4
By Robert Munsch author of Love You Forever (one of my all time favorite books). Illustrated in watercolors by Michael Martchenko. This should lead to a fun read and a fun discussion about babies.
Age Range: 4 - 8 years
Jennie
Mar 05, 2008 Jennie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Yes
Shelves: for-the-kids
This is one of our newest books and the kids just love it! So far in the past few weeks that we have had it they have had several people read it to them. I think they like it more right now because we are about to have a new baby too. In the book the parents aren't too smart because they accidentally go to the zoo instead of the hospital to have their baby and bring home an alligator baby instead. They try a couple times to get the right baby, but finally the big sister has to go find her baby ...more
Jessica Freeman
Kristen's mother is having a baby! However, much to her dismay, Kristen's parents returned with a baby that was NOT a human baby. I love this story and think it would be great for children who are expecting a younger sibling, through natural birth or adoption. This book touches on a life changing moment many children go through, but with a funny and entertaining twist.

Ill: painted in watercolor on Crescent Illustration Board
Luz
Feb 20, 2012 Luz rated it it was amazing
I really love this book it is very funny and have bright colors. The faces of the animal and the people went they see they have the wrong babie. The best part is that I can make different voices for each animal and my kids love it. Sometimes I ask them to help with the story and they are the one making the voices for the animals.

Extension:
Make a matching game with pictures of babies and their mothers.Have the kids find what baby belongs to what mother.
Slayermel
Jan 28, 2015 Slayermel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents with young children who have a sense of humour and Preschool Teachers
This is a really funny story. Kristen’s parents end up having their baby at the zoo and accidentally take home the wrong baby; you think they would notice it looks like an alligator. They figure out it’s the wrong baby after the alligator baby bites them all on the nose. They go back to the zoo and come home with yet another wrong baby. (Seriously what’s wrong with these parents?) Kristen is forced to take matters in her own hands and she goes off to the zoo to collect her baby brother.
Alto2
Oct 28, 2007 Alto2 rated it it was amazing
I remember laughing hysterically when we first got this book. My youngest (born 2002) loves reading it today.

Alligator Baby is the story of 2 very frazzled parents trying to bring home their son's new sibling. They rush back and forth and bring home every kind of animal baby but their own. Great illustrations and fast-moving prose.
Christie Tulloch
Apr 01, 2016 Christie Tulloch rated it it was amazing
Alligator Baby was another book I very much enjoyed when I was younger. Robert Munsch has very good books that I still remember reading. Alligator Baby is about a family that happens to find out that they brought home an alligator baby. The big brother couldn't believe it. In the end, the big brother met his human sibling, after they took the alligator baby to the zoo.
Heather
Dec 03, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
This book was one of favorites growing up. It is about parents who bring home their new baby but by surprise they bring home the wrong baby because the baby they brought home is an alligator. They soon find out that their real baby is at the zoo and they have to go get it. This is a really cute family read for children. It is cute and funny.
Julie Gerrish
"Alligator Baby" humorously illustrates the story of a family coming home with a new baby...except the real baby is at the zoo! Kristen's parents cycle through many different animal babies before Kristen goes to the zoo to retrieve her real baby brother. This book could be fun for a child that is about to become a new sibling, or any child, really. It very funny, and definitely a good read.
Melissa Housholder
Book about a family who just had a new baby. They can't seem to figure out who their baby is though. They keep coming home from the zoo with different animal babies. Finally the big sister has to save the day. Not much to this book other than it being fun. Could be fun to try to figure out the different animals before it is announced with kids.
Josiah
Jun 01, 2009 Josiah rated it did not like it
This book is amusing; more so, in fact, than most of Robert Munsch's books, I would say. The story is unbelievable, of course (as are almost all of Robert Munsch's volumes), but this factor must be taken into consideration when one reads this book.
Shiralea Woodhouse
Mar 11, 2011 Shiralea Woodhouse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
If you have never read any Robert Munsch books (besides "I Love You Forever" ...which is just creepy if you ask me) go directly to the kids section of the nearest library. Most of his books are wonderfully wacky and a fun read for you and your child. We get this one all the time!
  • Something From Nothing
  • Leon the Chameleon
  • The Dumb Bunnies (The Dumb Bunnies, #1)
  • Franklin Is Lost
  • Just Lost! (Little Critter)
  • The Daddy Book
  • Zomo the Rabbit: A Trickster Tale from West Africa
  • Red Is Best
  • George and Martha One Fine Day
  • Arthur's Baby (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Hugless Douglas
  • Green Wilma
  • Henry and Mudge Take the Big Test (Henry and Mudge, #10)
  • Pinduli
  • Just a Daydream (Look-Look)
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil
More about Robert Munsch...