Start by marking “Zoom!” as Want to Read:
Zoom!

Zoom!

Now in paperback, here's another rollicking collaboration of Robert Munsch and Michael Martchenko. Young daredevil Lauretta puts her brand-new wheelchair to the ultimate test--and saves her brother!

Lauretta's mother takes her to buy a new wheelchair, but Lauretta isn't satisfied with a regular five-speed or ten-speed model. No, she insists on the 92-speed, black, silver, a
Published April 1st 2004 by Cartwheel (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Zoom!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zoom!

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
You don't often see a humorous children's book featuring someone in a wheelchair. Love it!
Books Ring Mah Bell
Oct 31, 2008 Books Ring Mah Bell rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidsbooks, work
So Lauretta needs a new wheelchair, and the only one she wants is a super powerful monster-truck type chair. (who can blame her? It's awesome!)

Prepare to yell ZOOOOOOM lots of times. Loudly. Kids love that stuff.

An excellent story to introduce the concept of wheelchairs to children, as well as the idea that people are capable of great things, even if they are in a wheelchair!

This book makes up for that awful book of Munsch's - Love you forever. Way to redeem yourself, Robert!
Ariell
Aug 11, 2008 Ariell rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ariell by: Tammy
We just got this book from my friend Tammy. She has Cerebral Paulsey and rides around in a wheelchair. Which of course makes this story very true. She is hilarious. Very intelligent, just does things a little differently than the average person. But physical differences are no hinderance to her capabilities.
This is a great book.
Nioniel
Mar 11, 2009 Nioniel rated it it was amazing
This book is the funnest book I've ever read aloud to little siblings. All the capital letters make for a lot of shouting.
Liz
Oct 31, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
I like that they have a story about a person in a wheelchair. I also notice that the children in all of his books are named after someone the author knows, and I think that's a cute idea.
Mason, Natalie & Oliver
Another great Robert Munsch book...this one was funny (as usual) and the kids loved it!
Dustin Crazy little brown owl

I think any Robert Munsch book is a winner! You can't go wrong with Munsch! (well, ok, there are a few questionable/controversial stories he has written - I'll give you more info on those if you'd like to comment on my review). I recommend all the Munschworks collections (each volume contains 5 stories) and anything else by Robert Munsch; he is so smart, clever, witty, entertaining, funny, creative and just plain amazing! This book is particularly popular in our family because my wife uses a mot
Connie
Oct 18, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it
So, our main character wants a new wheelchair. So they go to this WONDERFULLY awesome wheelchair store and she immediately chooses not the five speed chair, nor the seven speed chair with purple wheels, but the NINETY-THREE (or whatever) speed wheelchair.

And gets a ticket for speeding. But before her parents can take her chair away and get her a slower one, her brother pricks his finger just a little bit and she has to rush him to the hospital (all the time muttering that her family is insane, b
Susan Huddleston
Jan 19, 2017 Susan Huddleston rated it it was amazing
Shelves: educ-378-spring
Text to Self

I chose text to self because it reminds me of myself when I was young. I didn't need a wheelchair but living in the country, you needed transportation to get around. I wasn't satisfied with my bike. My older brother had a motor cycle and I wanted one. He pulled out his mini-bike for me to learn on. He was trying to give me instructions on how to change the gears and brake, you know, the important stuff. But I didn't need his help, I could figure it out on my own. I hop on and am doin
Madison
Jun 06, 2016 Madison rated it it was ok
Shelves: robert-munsch
Lauretta is a young girl who is about to get a new wheelchair- but is she satisfied with a normal 5 speed or 10 speed one? Not at all, instead Lauretta insists on the fastest, biggest one there is. At first her parents complain and wish for her to take it back, but when Lauretta is the only one who can save her brother and take him to the hospital their opinions shift.

The illustrations in this picturebook are remarkable- much like all of the other books that Michael Martchenko illustrates. They
Audrey's Picture Books
Apr 16, 2016 Audrey's Picture Books rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This is one of those children's books that was written with a specific educational purpose. In this case, the educational purpose was to create a fun book starring a handicapped person, presumably to expose kids to the idea that handicapped people can be a lot of fun. Those kinds of message books rarely work well on a purely artistic level, and neither does this one. Its utterly ridiculous plot was presumably meant to be the sort of ridiculous plot that can make a children's book a lot of fun to ...more
Daniel
Feb 12, 2008 Daniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
In typical Munsch fashion, this book relies on outrageous ideas, repetition, and fun sounds. However, it adds one element that makes it a little more attractive ... it adds a main character that it unusual.

The primary character, Lauretta, is physically handicapped -- she rides a wheelchair.

What is nice about the way Munsch handles this is that nothing special is made of this -- Lauretta is like any other child except she rides a wheelchair. This helps, I think, the young reader accept some of th
Jessica Freeman
Lauretta is a young girl who goes to get a brand new wheelchair- the only thing is she does not just want any chair, she wants the fastest one there is. Throughout this picturebook we follow Lauretta and her adventure with the chair and how it works out for her and her family. Munsch takes on a difficult subject for children by providing children in wheelchairs with a mirror, or children who are around or know people in wheelchairs with a window. I think it is really important to bring this up w ...more
Carol
I came to this Munsch book pretty late in life, but have to say again that appreciate the Munsch/Martchenko combination. What struck me most of the demonic/excited/crazed face of the little speed-driven kid who has to have the fastest wheelchair out there. The text's play with the words "ZOOOOOOOOOOOM" to demonstrate the increasing speeds demanded by Lauretta are in a nice, bit font that tempts readers to elongate the sound oooo and even count "o's". I loved the illustration of the police car ra ...more
Mary
This is a great story about a little girl who gets a new wheelchair. She only wants one that is super fast, so she tries one out. She gets a speeding ticket and gets in trouble, but her brother ends up getting hurt and her parents’ car won’t start. So, her wheelchair saves the day! But, at the end of the story, she decides that even that wheelchair is too slow, and she finds an even faster one.
The story is a little bit dated, but it’s entertaining. It’s a little bit of a longer book, and good fo
Josiah
May 13, 2009 Josiah rated it did not like it
This is a somewhat humorous tale of a wheelchair-bound girl who is obsessed with speed, and who very much desires a wheelchair that will reflect this NASCAR complex. The idea of a 92-speed wheelchair is certainly unique, and how often can one say that a story about a girl in a wheelchair is comical?
Diana
Mar 02, 2010 Diana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
A funny story about a girl who wants a new wheelchair. Of course like any child she wants one with speed so she picks the fastest one. The wheelchair is the most expensive but her parents decide to let her try it out. After a day full of events including getting a $100 speeding ticket she decides she no longer wants it... because she thinks it's too slow. My 4 year old loved this book.
Stephanie Croaning
I like the fact that this book features a main character who uses a wheelchair. Unfortunately, I didn't love the plot of the story, and I felt the brother's accident just seemed forced and too over-the-top. I think young children would love to participate in this book as a read aloud where they could yell ZOOM in all the places it appears.
Kate
Feb 20, 2013 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
A cute story (although not one of my favourites when it comes to Munsch) with the bonus of featuring a little girl in a wheelchair as the main character. It's nice to see a book that depicts a child in a wheelchair as brave and looking for adventure and, while the actual wheelchair is the focus of the book, Munsch makes the story about so much more than a disability.
Ashley
Apr 20, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A story about a girl in a wheelchair, who just can't go fast enough in any high-speed wheelchair! Not even the cops pulling her over can stop her! Very cute story. Also, a nice way to build character traits for little kids as the protagonist demonstrates helpfulness by saving her brother and self-confidence in that even though she uses a wheel chair, it does not in any way slow her down in life!
Darrin Cayatineto
I read this book before and when reading this book I thought it throws so many ideas out for assigning the students something to do they can either have independent projects or group projects. when reading this book I thought the student can make their own box car that way the student can love reading and do what they love to do on the project.
Rebecca Snodgrass
Sep 11, 2012 Rebecca Snodgrass rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely hilarious. It teaches kids that everyone is different whether they have a disability or they are of a different race and they all have dreams. I laughed the whole time at the fantasy wheel chairs the girl wanted and how she got a ticket. I also thought it was funny they all yelled "BLOOD!" when the brother got hurt at dinner. It was a great read.
Kara
Jan 12, 2015 Kara rated it really liked it
I love that this book attaches no stigma to a young girl who happens to use a wheelchair. It is fun and adventurous and funny. A great addition to any classroom bookshelf because of its main character who has an exceptionality, which we don't see often in children's literature.
Stephanie
Jul 04, 2013 Stephanie rated it liked it
This was a cute book. The main character, Lauretta, is handicapped but is very adventurous, funny and has a love for speed!
Cindy Torres
when you see the name Robert Munsch you cant go wrong. if you want a book that teaches your kids about many things that help them live their life this man is the way to go.
Sarah Shaw
Sep 16, 2013 Sarah Shaw rated it it was amazing
With working with special needs children, this is a big fave in my mind.
Robbie
Feb 05, 2014 Robbie rated it liked it
I DIDNT READ YET
Tracy Morton
Oct 10, 2012 Tracy Morton rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Nice to introduce children to people with wheelchairs.
Regina Smoot
Dec 10, 2013 Regina Smoot rated it really liked it
great book on teaching differences in others
Erica Hendrickson
A story about a girl uses a wheelchair; told in typical Robert Munsch fashion.
  • The Wonderful Pigs of Jillian Jiggs
  • Chester's Back! (Chester)
  • Franklin Fibs
  • Pinduli
  • You Think It's Easy Being the Tooth Fairy?
  • Red Is Best
  • The Animal Boogie
  • Sadie and the Snowman
  • Curious George Goes to an Ice Cream Shop
  • Big Bear Hug
  • The Girl Who Hated Books
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • The Very Itchy Bear
  • Cinderella Penguin, or, The Little Glass Flipper
  • The Magic School Bus Meets The Rot Squad: A Book About Decomposition
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil
More about Robert Munsch...