Zoom!

Zoom!

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  347 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Now in paperback, here's another rollicking collaboration of Robert Munsch and Michael Martchenko. Young daredevil Lauretta puts her brand-new wheelchair to the ultimate test--and saves her brother!

Lauretta's mother takes her to buy a new wheelchair, but Lauretta isn't satisfied with a regular five-speed or ten-speed model. No, she insists on the 92-speed, black, silver, a...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Cartwheel (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Zoom!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zoom!

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
You don't often see a humorous children's book featuring someone in a wheelchair. Love it!
Books Ring Mah Bell
So Lauretta needs a new wheelchair, and the only one she wants is a super powerful monster-truck type chair. (who can blame her? It's awesome!)

Prepare to yell ZOOOOOOM lots of times. Loudly. Kids love that stuff.

An excellent story to introduce the concept of wheelchairs to children, as well as the idea that people are capable of great things, even if they are in a wheelchair!

This book makes up for that awful book of Munsch's - Love you forever. Way to redeem yourself, Robert!
Ariell
Aug 11, 2008 Ariell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ariell by: Tammy
We just got this book from my friend Tammy. She has Cerebral Paulsey and rides around in a wheelchair. Which of course makes this story very true. She is hilarious. Very intelligent, just does things a little differently than the average person. But physical differences are no hinderance to her capabilities.
This is a great book.
Liz
I like that they have a story about a person in a wheelchair. I also notice that the children in all of his books are named after someone the author knows, and I think that's a cute idea.
Nioniel
This book is the funnest book I've ever read aloud to little siblings. All the capital letters make for a lot of shouting.
Mason & Natalie
Another great Robert Munsch book...this one was funny (as usual) and the kids loved it!
Dustin Crazy little brown owl

I think any Robert Munsch book is a winner! You can't go wrong with Munsch! (well, ok, there are a few questionable/controversial stories he has written - I'll give you more info on those if you'd like to comment on my review). I recommend all the Munschworks collections (each volume contains 5 stories) and anything else by Robert Munsch; he is so smart, clever, witty, entertaining, funny, creative and just plain amazing! This book is particularly popular in our family because my wife uses a mot...more
Connie
So, our main character wants a new wheelchair. So they go to this WONDERFULLY awesome wheelchair store and she immediately chooses not the five speed chair, nor the seven speed chair with purple wheels, but the NINETY-THREE (or whatever) speed wheelchair.

And gets a ticket for speeding. But before her parents can take her chair away and get her a slower one, her brother pricks his finger just a little bit and she has to rush him to the hospital (all the time muttering that her family is insane, b...more
Daniel
In typical Munsch fashion, this book relies on outrageous ideas, repetition, and fun sounds. However, it adds one element that makes it a little more attractive ... it adds a main character that it unusual.

The primary character, Lauretta, is physically handicapped -- she rides a wheelchair.

What is nice about the way Munsch handles this is that nothing special is made of this -- Lauretta is like any other child except she rides a wheelchair. This helps, I think, the young reader accept some of th...more
Audrey
This is one of those children's books that was written with a specific educational purpose. In this case, the educational purpose was to create a fun book starring a handicapped person, presumably to expose kids to the idea that handicapped people can be a lot of fun. Those kinds of message books rarely work well on a purely artistic level, and neither does this one. Its utterly ridiculous plot was presumably meant to be the sort of ridiculous plot that can make a children's book a lot of fun to...more
Carol
I came to this Munsch book pretty late in life, but have to say again that appreciate the Munsch/Martchenko combination. What struck me most of the demonic/excited/crazed face of the little speed-driven kid who has to have the fastest wheelchair out there. The text's play with the words "ZOOOOOOOOOOOM" to demonstrate the increasing speeds demanded by Lauretta are in a nice, bit font that tempts readers to elongate the sound oooo and even count "o's". I loved the illustration of the police car ra...more
Mary
This is a great story about a little girl who gets a new wheelchair. She only wants one that is super fast, so she tries one out. She gets a speeding ticket and gets in trouble, but her brother ends up getting hurt and her parents’ car won’t start. So, her wheelchair saves the day! But, at the end of the story, she decides that even that wheelchair is too slow, and she finds an even faster one.
The story is a little bit dated, but it’s entertaining. It’s a little bit of a longer book, and good fo...more
Robbie
I DIDNT READ YET
Ashley
A story about a girl in a wheelchair, who just can't go fast enough in any high-speed wheelchair! Not even the cops pulling her over can stop her! Very cute story. Also, a nice way to build character traits for little kids as the protagonist demonstrates helpfulness by saving her brother and self-confidence in that even though she uses a wheel chair, it does not in any way slow her down in life!
Diana
A funny story about a girl who wants a new wheelchair. Of course like any child she wants one with speed so she picks the fastest one. The wheelchair is the most expensive but her parents decide to let her try it out. After a day full of events including getting a $100 speeding ticket she decides she no longer wants it... because she thinks it's too slow. My 4 year old loved this book.
Rebecca Snodgrass
This book is absolutely hilarious. It teaches kids that everyone is different whether they have a disability or they are of a different race and they all have dreams. I laughed the whole time at the fantasy wheel chairs the girl wanted and how she got a ticket. I also thought it was funny they all yelled "BLOOD!" when the brother got hurt at dinner. It was a great read.
Kate
A cute story (although not one of my favourites when it comes to Munsch) with the bonus of featuring a little girl in a wheelchair as the main character. It's nice to see a book that depicts a child in a wheelchair as brave and looking for adventure and, while the actual wheelchair is the focus of the book, Munsch makes the story about so much more than a disability.
Darrin Cayatineto
I read this book before and when reading this book I thought it throws so many ideas out for assigning the students something to do they can either have independent projects or group projects. when reading this book I thought the student can make their own box car that way the student can love reading and do what they love to do on the project.
Josiah
This is a somewhat humorous tale of a wheelchair-bound girl who is obsessed with speed, and who very much desires a wheelchair that will reflect this NASCAR complex. The idea of a 92-speed wheelchair is certainly unique, and how often can one say that a story about a girl in a wheelchair is comical?
Cindy Torres
when you see the name Robert Munsch you cant go wrong. if you want a book that teaches your kids about many things that help them live their life this man is the way to go.
Stephanie
This was a cute book. The main character, Lauretta, is handicapped but is very adventurous, funny and has a love for speed!
Cheryl
I can understand why used copies of this book sell for $60. Really. I think it's time to print a few thousand more copies.
Lorna
Super fun story about a disabled girl in the hunt for the perfect wheel chair replacement. Great fun as a read aloud.
Kapra McMichael
-A story about a girl who wants a new wheelchairs
-A funny way to talk about disabilities
Crista
Nov 09, 2011 Crista rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: mc
*Disabilities

I really enjoyed the illustrations, but found the text a little lacking.
Sarah Shaw
With working with special needs children, this is a big fave in my mind.
Erica Hendrickson
A story about a girl uses a wheelchair; told in typical Robert Munsch fashion.
Tracy Morton
Nice to introduce children to people with wheelchairs.
Shannon
Not as bad as Smelly Socks, but still not great.
Regina Smoot
great book on teaching differences in others
  • The Wonderful Pigs of Jillian Jiggs
  • The Animal Boogie PB w CD (Sing Along With Fred Penner)
  • Stella, Queen of the Snow
  • Red Is Best
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • The Pinkish, Purplish, Bluish Egg
  • Have I Got a Book for You!
  • The Little Bit Scary People
  • Alphabet Mystery
  • Franklin Is Lost
  • The Rain Came Down
  • The Magic School Bus Hops Home: A Book About Animal Habitats
  • The Runaway Mummy: A Petrifying Parody
  • The Lotus Seed
  • It's Mine!
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil...more
More about Robert Munsch...
Love You Forever The Paper Bag Princess Stephanie's Ponytail Thomas' Snowsuit Purple, Green and Yellow