Show and Tell

Show and Tell

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  361 ratings  ·  17 reviews
When Ben decides to take his baby sister for show and tell, she simply won't stop crying. Soon the whole school is in chaos as teachers, the principal and even a doctor try to cheer her up.

About the Classic Munch series: Robert Munsch's award-winning books have become a staple on the bookshelves of families worldwide. His stories reflect the joys and challenges of everyday...more
Published August 1st 1991 by Annick Press

Connie
Another winner from Munsch!

Like all Munsch books, this book starts with an absurd premise - a boy brings his baby sister to school for show-and-tell - some over-the-top adult goofiness - the teacher makes the baby cry by rocking her too quickly, the nurse decides to give the baby a shot for crying and pulls out a HUGE needle bigger than the baby! - and a cheerfully silly happy ending - afterwards everybody brings something silly and special for show-and-tell. (This is a great scene, because you...more
Slayermel
Nov 05, 2010 Slayermel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of young children and preschool teachers
This story is hilarious.
Ben decides he's going to take his baby sister in his back pack for show and tell, but he didn't seem to count on the fact that when she woke up she would scream and cry.
The noise frustrates his teacher who tries to sooth the child and goes about it all wrong. The principal comes down to see what the matter is and can't get the child to stop screaming so they call in a doctor.
Mean while Ben's mum can't find the baby.

The children in my class love to read along with me, so...more
Teddy
Today is show-and-tell at school and Benjamin decides to bring something unique, his baby sister. He puts her in his back pack and goes off to school.

Then Ben sits down for class his sister wakes up crying. The teacher is horrified but takes the baby in her arms to sooth her but she can't get her to quite down. The principal comes in and tells the baby, "Hey, you! Be Quiet!" The baby keeps crying. The principal decides the baby is sick and calls the doctor in. Of course that only makes her cry m...more
Amber Lynch
Ben decides to take a unique object to school for show and tell, however, the unique objects happens to be his baby sister that he puts inside his backpack! The baby causes quite a commotion when she realizes that her mother is not around to comfort her!

This book would be good to use for predictions prior to reading. Read the story and see if any of the students predicted that he would bring his baby sister in! Students can then write about an object that they would love to bring to school but k...more
Jackie
Ben decides to take his baby sister for show and tell...but all she does is WAAA, WAAAA, WAAAAA! The teacher can't make her quiet, the principal can't make her quiet, and the doctor with her GREAT BIG needle can't make her quiet either. Robert Munsch's Show and Tell is a silly story with a sillier ending.

Used for "Show & Tell" Storytime- October, 2010.
Jake
Jun 30, 2008 Jake added it
Bro took his baby sister to school for show & tell IN HIS BACKPACK? REALLY? gah. And when the teacher and principal couldn't get her to stop crying, they called a DOCTOR? REALLY? Not her mom?

As you can tell . . . we didn't like this book much. Mommy has trouble suspending belief for stories that are in all other ways supposed to be realistic.
Kate
Again, good, but not the best Munsch. I can't give him a bad review (except for "A promise is a promise", that book was terrifying) but I didn't love this the way I love the best of Munsch. He's a reliable author though and perfect for any elementary school storytime.
Daniel
Another, rather typical Robert Munsch book. Fun to read. Kids get a kick out of it. But for the most part not particularly memorable.

A good read for that bed-time book when you're looking for something light and different.
Cindy Torres
like all of Robert Munsch book this is a good familly and class room style book.

in this book ben takes his baby sister to show and tell let the fun readings beginning!

a must read
Gretchen
I really like Robert Munsch but have only included my absolute favorites--Kate would have taken her baby sister for show and tell if she could have gotten away with it.
Amber
We first started reading this when Annaka was first born and all the kids would giggle and tell me that they now "knew" what to take for show and tell that week.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I love this book about how everyone panics when a little boy brings his crying baby sister in to school for show and tell. Great story!
Melissa McAlvey
The K-3rd graders I read this to howled with laughter and cried right along with the baby in the book. :)
Art
Also referred to as "Bring and Brag". It always provoked discussion and problem-solving with my classes.
Stacy Vance
LOVED this book. My students really got into the story.
Tracy Morton
Great for the kindergarten years.
Karen
Karen added it
Jul 12, 2014
Alex(andra) O.
Alex(andra) O. marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Noelle
Noelle added it
Yoshimi
Yoshimi marked it as to-read
Erin
Karen
Karen added it
Jun 11, 2014
  • The Balloon Tree
  • Chester's Back! (Chester)
  • Franklin Is Lost
  • Come Over to My House
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Double Dare
  • Betsy Who Cried Wolf
  • Just Lost! (Little Critter)
  • Curious George and the Pizza
  • Fletcher and the Springtime Blossoms
  • Stella, Queen of the Snow
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil...more
More about Robert Munsch...
Love You Forever The Paper Bag Princess Stephanie's Ponytail Thomas' Snowsuit Purple, Green and Yellow