Start by marking “Smelly Socks” as Want to Read:
Smelly Socks

Smelly Socks

Bestselling team Robert Munsch and Michael Martchenko create another funny adventure about a girl named Tina, who loves her brand-new socks so much that she's never ever going to take them off!

Tina loves her brand-new socks so much that she's never ever going to take them off! But when her wonderful socks start to get smelly, her friends have to take action!
Published January 1st 2005 by Cartwheel (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Smelly Socks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smelly Socks

Love You Forever by Robert MunschThe Paper Bag Princess by Robert MunschMud Puddle by Robert MunschStephanie's Ponytail by Robert MunschThomas' Snowsuit by Robert Munsch
Best Robert Munsch Books
10th out of 31 books — 28 voters
Love You Forever by Robert MunschThe Paper Bag Princess by Robert MunschSomething Good by Robert MunschMortimer by Robert MunschDavid's Father by Robert Munsch
Best of Robert Munsch
44th out of 100 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Behemoth
Nov 06, 2016 Behemoth rated it it was amazing
If there's a better book centered on smelly socks, I'm unaware of it.
Taylor Miller
Oct 09, 2016 Taylor Miller rated it really liked it
Munsch gives kids a funny story, while implying they need to remember to wash their clothes. For younger kids, they'll love the humor he writes and how Tina's friends take care of the problem. For upper elementary kids, you can remind them to take care of their bodies and remind them that they will smell if they don't wash up. It's a great book for read aloud and a good silly story for kids to read.
Ethan Olson
Oct 05, 2016 Ethan Olson rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Connie
Jan 03, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it
Gosh, I love his books. Inexpensive, short, and they make no pretense of "moralizing" or "educating" at all - no Aesops, no phonics, none of that, just good old-fashioned storytelling.

Tina needs new socks. (Note - given that this book is dedicated to a Tina who lives on Hay River Dene Reserve, I'm going to assume that, like that Tina, the Tina in this book is probably First Nations as well, and in this world of picture books it's always nice to see some diversity.) And not boring black socks -
Kim
Jul 08, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 6-10
Recommended to Kim by: My daughter picked it out
Robert Munsch writes a funny story about a girl named Tina who works very hard to find a way to get to the store across the river to buy a pair of socks. When she finally makes it there and she chooses a pair of new socks, she loves them so much that she refuses to take them off, even when they begin to smell. Friends finally intervene and do what must be be done to resolve the issue.

I found this story to be okay. My kids like it. I think there are some clever twists in the story and the artwork
Winny Yang
Jan 03, 2013 Winny Yang rated it really liked it
Shelves: december, picture
I think that this book is really funny. I've read it before when i was young, but i still enjoy reading it. Smelly Socks is about a girl who loves her socks so much that she vows to never ever take them off! When her socks get too smelly, her friends and family have to do something about it.

I decided to pick this book up because my brother wanted me to read this to him. Since i personally like Robert Munsch books as well, i decided to read it to him. I relived my child memories.

I decided to fini
Keani Meier
Dec 08, 2014 Keani Meier rated it liked it
Shelves: 307, children-books
Smelly Socks by Robert Munsch
Tina wanted new socks but she had to finds a way to get to the city. She was able to convince her Grandpa to take her. At the city she got the perfect pair of socks. She loved her socks very much and never ever wanted to take them off. She had thoughts socks on for 30 days. Tina smelled really bad and no one wanted to sit or stand next to her. One day, her socks smelled so bad that her classmates throw her into the river and wash her socks for her.
We can use this b
Jeff
May 30, 2010 Jeff rated it really liked it
Smelly socks is a picture book about a girl named Tina who once she gets new socks refuses to take them off. She wears them for such a long time that they begin to smell. They eventually smell so bad birds fall from the sky and animals fall over; even a skunk falls over from the smell. Ultimately, her friends hold her down and wash her socks. This is a funny and interesting story that you can use to teach children about good personal hygene habits. This story is unique in that the characters all ...more
Jasmine Bowman
Nov 22, 2015 Jasmine Bowman rated it it was amazing
This story was about a girl who went on a quest to buy something with her grandfather when she came across a colorful pair of socks that she fell in love with. Her grandfather purchased the socks for her, and she wore them everyday... without washing them. After a while her friends and family tried to convince her to wash the socks, and she would not agree. One day her friends took her to the late and washed them for her. She was happy that her socks were restored!

In the classroom, I would have
Madison
Jun 06, 2016 Madison rated it liked it
Shelves: robert-munsch
Tina is a young girl who does not want to wear plain boring colored socks- she would rather wear brightly colored rainbow socks. In order to get these socks she has to go across a river to the store there. Once she gets these socks Tina does not want to take them off- so she doesn't and ends up stinking up the entire area.

Once again the illustrations in this book are absolutely beautiful. They go so well together and compliment each other, making the book that much more appealing to read.

This is
Kate
Mar 01, 2013 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Cute and great for storytime. I like that it relates to a child living in an area away from stores, etc. since many children will be unfamiliar with isolated reserve living. This story exemplifies one of the things I love about Robert Munsch, the story isn't just about teaching children one basic lesson. I feel that Munsch's books are more interesting and morally complex than your average children's book which has a facile moral, etc.
Rebecca Tew
A girl named Tina goes to great lengths to buy a new pair of socks, and then refuses to ever take them off. The smell of the socks gets to be so bad that her friends have to take action.

The illustrations in this book were painted in watercolor on Arches paper.

I liked this book because it would be fun to read to early elementary schoolers. It is a silly book that I think young children would love.
Seher Patka
Oct 26, 2010 Seher Patka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-alouds
This book is about a girl named Tina who wants to buy new socks. Her grandpa takes her to buy them, and she loves them SO much, that she decides to never take them off. The socks get this "killer" smell and knocks out all the animals. It becomes a big problem for her friends, so her friends hold her down and wash her socks. It is a funny, silly book that children will love if read aloud. This book could be used for downtime or to teach hygiene.
Holly
Nov 05, 2014 Holly rated it it was amazing
I've read this to my 4 year old nephew a few times this year. He loves this book so much. The last time I read it to him he was feeling really sad about being babysat while his parents were out, and this book made him forget he was bummed. I want to buy him socks that are red and yellow and green now.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
The illustrations were the best part this story of a girl who loves her new socks so much that she won't take them off to wash them. I love the expressions on the animals' faces. My favorite picture is at the end, when the girl has the skunk on a leash and he's wearing the same socks she is.
Nikol Gordon
Oct 16, 2012 Nikol Gordon rated it liked it
I have been reading books out loud to 3rd graders during their lunch time. This, along with Robert Munsch book "The Paperbag Princess" have to be some of my favorites. Very entertaining and fun for kids!!
Indira
Sep 29, 2014 Indira rated it liked it
We found this in our bookshelf recently, and I'm not sure that I'm a fan. It is an odd story about wearing socks so long, well, see the title. Weird and the humor might be out of Luxmi's realm of understanding at the moment; mine, too I suppose.
Jason
Feb 07, 2008 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Typical Robert Munsch where the adults have little to no influence over the children. Smelly Socks is full of bright colors and Canadian scenery. This is a book my daughter occasionally enjoys picking before bed time.
Laila
Jul 08, 2013 Laila rated it it was amazing
This book was so funny! The girl wore the socks and never took them off and her friends came and threw her in the river and washed her because she was so stinky.
Jillian
Feb 19, 2011 Jillian rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
The story it kinda funny and the pictures are SUPER fun! I love it when you have to study each picture to really see all the hidden animals and things. Fun book.
May
Jan 08, 2014 May rated it really liked it
Got this for the kids for Christmas and decided to read it myself. Very cute, short book, beautifully illustrated and humorous to boot.
Johanna Sawer
Cute story of a girl who will not wash her socks , until her friends take matters into thier own hands. Gr 2-3
Shannan
Jan 23, 2008 Shannan rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Super cute book about a girl who loves her wonderful socks, and WILL NEVER NEVER take them off...thus the smelly part :o)
Jenny
Oct 19, 2009 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
The illustrations in this are so funny. My favorite is where the girl with stinky socks walks to school and woodland animals swoon behind her because of the odor. :)
Richelle
Dec 06, 2015 Richelle rated it liked it
I liked this one! never heard it before! I loved all the animals in it! made me giggle when I seen all the animals pass out because of the smell of her socks! lol
Christie Tulloch
Apr 01, 2016 Christie Tulloch rated it it was amazing
Smelly Socks is a fun story about a girl who gets awesome socks and never rakes them off. Her classmates and family finally have enough, even the animals do! Will she ever take her socks off?
Hollie Hancock
May 24, 2010 Hollie Hancock rated it really liked it
Oh this is a fun book! My nephews love it! It's fun to read to them and tease them about their smelly socks!
Joey Fong
This is appropriate for Kindergarten to 2nd graders. A humorous book about personal hygiene. It could be used to teach a lesson on onomatopoeia.
Carrie
Apr 14, 2015 Carrie rated it it was ok
This one was also a miss. The story is OK, but none of us got a real laugh out of it. I did like that it takes place in the North, but that detail is irrelevant to my kids.
Madison
Oct 02, 2012 Madison rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, funny
A book you could use to show students about personal hygiene and how important it is to wash things. I also think that you could use
This book to explain different character voices.
  • Follow the Dream: The Story of Christopher Columbus
  • The Underpants Zoo
  • Confessions of a Former Bully
  • Chester's Masterpiece (Chester)
  •  تسع عشرة بنتًا.. وأنا
  • Something From Nothing
  • Curious George Goes to School
  • الفيلسوف الصغير : الحياة معا ما معناها
  • Mrs. Watson Wants Your Teeth
  • Christmas in the Barn
  • Froggy's Sleepover
  • Splat Says Thank You!
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • What! Cried Granny
  • Troll Swap
  • Stella, Queen of the Snow
  • This is the House that Jack Built
  • In the Haunted House
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil
More about Robert Munsch...