Start by marking “How to Hug a Teenage Porcupine” as Want to Read:
How to Hug a Teenage Porcupine

How to Hug a Teenage Porcupine

4.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Dr. John Lund likes to remind people that they either married their biggest test in life or they gave birth to it! This all-new, three-part seminar is designed to help parents get past the test of raising teenagers. Dr. Lund draws on his extensive background as a marriage and family mediator, as well as his experience of surviving his own eight teenagers, to deliver practi ...more
Audio CD
Published 2004 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about How to Hug a Teenage Porcupine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Hug a Teenage Porcupine

Keith Kendall
Jan 20, 2012 Keith Kendall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marriage
A delightful series of several talks integrated onto 4 CDs

1. The Art of Parenting
2. Five Governing Values of Teens
3. Dealing with Noncompliant Teens

The author not only has broad experience with, but understands how teens think, and how to interact with them. I have only captured a few of his points, but he was kind enough to say what he was going to say, say it, and then summarize, so here are a few things that I learned.

Teens and parents have different values. Teen values: Fun, Friends, Freedo
Melanie
Sep 29, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: motherhood, audio
This is a gem of an audio book, full of great parenting advice patterned after the gospel of Jesus Christ. I felt the information was applicable for any stage of parenting. Useful insights for the whole range of childhood personalities- from compliant to rebellious. A great reminder to keep perspective and to use encouragement, invitations and enticement to develop good decision-making in our children, while avoiding force, which is Satan's tactic.
Emily
May 06, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing
I can never get enough of this book on cd. I try every day to be a good mom and this book is helpful to me. I need to remember to have an I love you program that is separate from an I trust you program. Although this is geared toward teenagers, there are so many applicable things to my minis.
Jennifer Hughes
This isn't a book on CD but rather a set of three talks. I wish it were a book also so I could go through and highlight it and make notes! I also think every parent should listen to this.

I first read How to Hug a Porcupine: Dealing With Toxic & Difficult to Love Personalities, hoping it would have information about teenagers, but it doesn't have much. These CDs were exactly what they claim to be, plus many more ideas and parenting concepts than just getting along with teenagers.

The principl
Marcy
Sep 16, 2009 Marcy rated it it was amazing
I listened to this cd at least twice already, but some it 4 times & I look forward to listening to it again! I think it should be required reading for every parent! I sure wish I had heard it back years ago. It's really right on target as it discusses how to deal with children, even young ones that just don't WANT to do what's "right". It puts agency into a lot better light so that as parents we can not take that agency away from our little ones...& then later as they become bigger ones. ...more
Patty
May 14, 2009 Patty rated it really liked it
I love this CD. Though it is given to an LDS audience there is not a whole lot of LDS ideas in it so people of all faiths or no faith can get something out of it. I've starting using some of the ideas from it and found they are helping a LOT.

The only reason I haven't given it a 5 is that I would like a little more practical ideas on how to set boundaries when dealing with a child who is not compliant and how to talk with a teen when negotiating those boundaries.
Molly
Nov 14, 2014 Molly rated it it was amazing
Dr. Lund does a great job of explaining what the values of teenagers are in contrast to those of parents and gives many examples and ideas for how to deal with these differences! He is easy to listen to, but I just wish this was in book form, so I could go back for reference!
Kerrie Rodgerson
Sep 16, 2011 Kerrie Rodgerson rated it it was amazing
I love, love, love this cd collection. It is a parenting guide that will change your life if you have teenagers. This is my 3rd time listening to it (hmmm...I have 3 teenagers....). The way John Lund conveys ideas and thoughts is insightful and hilarious. I routinely remember his recommendations and try to put them into action in our lives. Definitely a must-listen (it is a series of talks) if you have a teenager from mouthy to one who is in serious trouble. Love it.
Jeff Thompson
Feb 17, 2013 Jeff Thompson rated it it was amazing
Why didn't I listen to this audiobook a couple of years ago? John Lund's principles, derived from his years working with troubled youth, gave me as much comfort as instruction. He has helped me to replace worry with faith, and to recognize the need to let go of the idea that a parent is responsible for everything. This book was a huge blessing to me at this particular point in my life, but I do wish I had encountered it earlier.
Meggen
Jan 09, 2011 Meggen rated it it was amazing
This 3-part seminar is excellent for parents with all kinds of teens. I found Dr. Lund's insights to be both humorous and helpful. I have added some of his suggestions to my parenting strategies and found them to be valuable. A recommended listen for any LDS parent who wants to have a better relationship with their teen, as well as more effective, meaningful communication and discipline.
Clyn
Oct 18, 2013 Clyn rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was interesting in the sense that it helped identify the different values held by parents and teens, and how the conflict between them is the root of many relationship issues. I felt the first part of the book was great, then it got a little repetitive, and then it focused on the really bad kids and their issues which didn't really apply to me--thank goodness! A worthwhile read!
Michelle
Jan 14, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing
A FABULOUS CD! I have been taking copious notes from this series of lectures by Dr. Lund during my latest listening. I am grateful to hear from someone whose children have already been through the teen years as I enter this new stage of life. I should probably purchase my own copy rather than hogging the library's! :) I absolutely recommend it to anyone interested in this topic.
Darleen
May 11, 2009 Darleen rated it liked it
I learned what it is to be an "emotionally healthy parent" and what "emotionally healthy teens" are. I also find it humorous that teens and grandparents do have a lot in common; friends, fun, and freedom! They also like to live in the present, and enjoy their privacy. = ] I am so glad Dr. Lund chose to share his knowledge and experiences in this enlightening book!
Maribel
Jun 23, 2008 Maribel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents
You don't have to have rotten teenagers to thoroughly benefit from listening to these lectures. They contain great information and advise on parenting (or other kinds of relationships). I also enjoyed the fact that his approach is centered on gospel principles and doctrines. No need to go looking for any other parenting book when teachings are based on eternal truth.
Tanya
Sep 23, 2013 Tanya rated it liked it
This is actually a series of spiritual yet humorous lectures given by John Lund. Thankfully, I do not have toxic teenagers in my home, so much of what he talked about didn't apply, but I still learned a lot. I especially gained from the second lecture, which talks about core teen and parental motivations being in opposition to each other. 3.5 stars.
Pam
Aug 21, 2010 Pam rated it really liked it
I thought I was getting an entirely different author as there is the same title written by a woman. I was very bored in the first disc and almost took it back to the library. But it got so good after that! I always love inspiration. And when it comes to kids, I need it as reminders.
Rachel Meyers
Jul 17, 2013 Rachel Meyers rated it really liked it
This book was so wonderful. I listened to the audio version in the car and it has inspired me to be a better parent gently and without feeling guilty. I even took lots of notes in the car (safely of course!), so that tells you how many good things were included in the book :)
Olea
Jun 06, 2010 Olea rated it it was amazing
Lund has such a great and positive way of helping you do your best as a parent without squashing your child's spirit, even though sometimes it feels like that might be the easier way to deal with it. :)
Debbie
Jun 30, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Loved this audio. The stories and memories that the author shares are so very heartwarming and very often comical, yet easy enough to put to use in my own life.
Mary Ann
Jun 11, 2009 Mary Ann rated it really liked it
Good talk with some really encouraging thoughts. I would recommend it to anyone who is LDS and has teenagers - especially those who have difficult teenagers.
Kim Cook
Sep 26, 2013 Kim Cook rated it it was amazing
I got so much out of these Cd's. I have listened them several times. Entertaining and such good advice!
Sally
Dec 01, 2012 Sally added it
Shelves: theology, parenting
Oh, how I wish this were in print, and not only audio! I am not an audio learner! Fabulous, by the way.
Inspired Kathy
Feb 24, 2009 Inspired Kathy rated it it was amazing
This is a great talk series. Maybe because I've got a teenager I found if full of great advise and ideas.
E. Williams
Apr 10, 2009 E. Williams rated it it was amazing
Lund has a great sense of humor and a wonderful way of teaching us how to love even teen-agers
Tina
Mar 26, 2009 Tina rated it it was amazing
Great listen/read. The tips he has actually work very well on teens. Loved every minute.
Autumn
Nov 15, 2010 Autumn rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Great insight into the prickly world of teenagers.
Jeanette Sunderland
Sep 26, 2012 Jeanette Sunderland rated it it was amazing
Every parent needs listen to this wonderful audio!
Tadd
Nov 05, 2013 Tadd rated it it was amazing
Best book ever if you have teenagers or kids of any age!!
Kristin
Feb 15, 2013 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Great book on CD!! Loved it. Extremely helpful.
Cheri
Mar 27, 2013 Cheri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
Now if I can just apply it to my life!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: Fortifying Our Youth and Healing Our Prodigals
  • Christlike Parenting: Taking the Pain Out of Parenting
  • What Are You Carrying in Your Backpack?
  • Covenant Motherhood
  • He Did Deliver Me From Bondage
  • The Book of Mormon Made Easier Part 1: 1 Nephi Through Words of Mormon
  • A Mother's Book of Secrets
  • Change Your Questions, Change Your Life
  • Raising Up a Family to the Lord
  • Teach the Children: An Agency Approach to Education
  • The Parenting Breakthrough: Real-Life Plan to Teach Your Kids to Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Mothering with Spiritual Power: Book of Mormon Inspirations for Raising a Righteous Family
  • The Other Eminent Men of Wilford Woodruff
  • Love is a Choice:  Making Your Marriage and Family Stronger
  • The Believing Heart: Nourishing The Seed Of Faith
  • The Entitlement Trap: How to Rescue Your Child with a New Family System of Choosing, Earning, and Ownership
  • How to Hug a Porcupine: Negotiating the Prickly Points of the Tween Years
Dr John L. Lund is a great writer and his CD's on human interaction are fun, informative, and entertaining. He has taught in major universities in Utah, Idaho, and California, hosts trips to Israel and Mesoamerica and is a fantastic archeologist too. Check out his books in both fields and you will find a great writer to follow here on Goodreads.com.

More about John Lewis Lund...