The Flying Dragon Room

The Flying Dragon Room

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  39 reviews
With the help of Mrs. Jenkins' magical tools, Patrick creates an imaginary place all his own that's filled with adventure, fantastical animals, and objects.
Published October 1st 2000 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1996)

Kathryn
May 06, 2009 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Chandra--thanks!
Thoroughly enjoyed this story!!! I probably would have given it four stars, except I hear my childhood self saying "I love it! I love it!" When the little boy builds his imaginary world, he creates so many of the "rooms" that children would love to visit--dinosaur rooms, friendly wild animal rooms, dessert rooms, bouncing rooms, bubble rooms, high seas adventure rooms... The best part is that he gets to bring his family and the lady who lent him the tool set (which he used to build the rooms!) a...more
Gundula
Jan 09, 2012 Gundula rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of tour-like escapades, with busy and involved illustrations
Although I appreciate the concept (and the illustrations are certainly lush and imaginative), I am not all that impressed with and by The Flying Dragon Room. I find both the text, but especially the illustrations rather too busy, frenetic and overly involved (as my GR friend Cheryl already has pointed out in her own review, the book feels more like a rushed tour, and not a tour I would ever really enjoy taking, there being much too much action, and not enough peace and quiet). Just reading the t...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Jan 04, 2012 Cheryl in CC NV rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Amy
Here's me being contrary again. I can definitely see the appeal but it didn't do anything special for me. It felt like a tour. Maybe I'm just too old - my special rooms would be serene, not stimulating.

I did like playing 'spot the baby' though. And if I shared this with children I would absolutely love to hear what rooms they'd create! (If you read it with their children, maybe you can share what they say in your review. :)
(NS) Lauren
Grade/Interest Level: 1-3

This low-fantasy tale is certain to spark the imaginations of young readers. Mrs. Jenkins is the mysterious old woman whom Patrick's parents have hired to paint their house. Patrick feels left out of the painting job, but soon discovers some magical abilities of his own when Mrs. Jenkins lets him borrow her special tool box. Readers get to explore an imaginary world with Patrick, full of personified animals, time slips, and adventures. The illustrations are whimsical, an...more
Dolly
Jan 22, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a highly imaginative and fantastic story that takes the reader on a journey through rooms that a little boy creates. The different rooms are all so wildly different and strange, but fun, too. And we loved watching his little baby sister Sarah as she joins the group on their exploration of the various rooms. The illustrations are terrific and complement the story very nicely. We really enjoyed reading this story together.

This story was selected as one of the books for the January 2012 -...more
Randie
I really enjoyed this one. Wood is a genius and I adore Teague’s illustrations. Mrs. Jenkins loans her magic tool set to Patrick, and he creates a magical world full of rooms in his backyard. Patrick shares his rooms with Mrs. Jenkins, his parents, and baby sister. Each room is an adventure. The bubble room and the Jolly Mermaid were my favorites. Mrs. Jenkins’ surprise at the end was bittersweet because it’s awesome but the readers do not get to see it. However, children can certainly keep the...more
Jessica Navarrete

This book requires a lot of imagination to read. It is mainly about Patrick and his house being remodeled by Mrs. Jenkins. The family has many different rooms like a creature garden, bubble room, friendly, wild animal room, etc. The family had a great adventure seeing what Mrs. Jenkins did to their home. They were not even scared of the alligators or by the jolly mermaid that sailed away.

This is a great book for little kids to read because it’ll get their imagination going. I know I enjoyed thi...more
M.J.
The concept is intriguing and I love the idea of magic toolboxes and invisible buttons opening doors to secret places. The problem is… there is no problem. I do, however, love the circular ending that lets the reader’s imagination explore what happens next and extend the story beyond the story.
Rachel
Flat and anticlimatic. I miss the brilliance of the Audrey/Don duo.
David
The Flying Dragon Room by Audrey Wood, illustrated by Mark Teague is a boy's adventure powered by imagination with the help of magical tools.

Patrick, a bored boy is given magical tools by Mrs. Jenkins to make something special, which he does. After a week he shows his family and Mrs. Jenkins a cavern with a Subterranean room, small creature garden, Bubble room, Food room, Jumping room, Jolly Mermaid room, and Friendly Wild Animal room. A tour of Mrs. Jenkin's Flying Dragon Room is promised, but...more
Nicole
The Flying Dragon Room is a story that unleashes the imagination of a young boy, named Patrick, as he creates his own underground world during one dull summer. With the help of the unique and unconventional character Mrs. Jenkins, an elderly Mrs. Fix-It who has come to help paint Patrick’s house, the young boy learns how he can create his own fun with an old tool box and some ingenuity. Audrey Wood and Mark Teague’s collaboration is a feast for the eyes and the imagination. The illustrations are...more
“The Flying Dragon Room” by Audrey Wood is a great read for any child that loves fantasy books. I thought the concept of the room was a neat idea because children love imaging play in the comfort of their own room. I loved that Mrs. Jenkins was the one who gave Patrick the ability to create his own world. In the dragron room there were able to explore Patrick’s imagination through different worlds just in one room.

I thought the pictures were colorful and very bright. I enjoyed the detailing of...more
Julia Jasztal
(Mommy's review from 3/11)

Julia and I both thoroughly enjoyed reading this. She likes it so much she read it with her Oma and then had me read it with her again. She always has so many books around that, like me, she rarely rereads anything.
The story starts with Patrick wanting to help an older woman paint his parents house. Mrs. Jenkins hands Patrick some tools he can use and after the painting is finished he invites his parents and Mrs. Jenkins to see his "work".
Room after room after room that...more
Rachel Perry
Age Level - Nursery to Primary

The Flying Dragon Room brings us into a world where imagination can be real. Patrick wanted to help paint the house with his parents, but they thought he would get in the way. Mrs. Jenkin's who had been hired to paint the house gave Patrick a set of special tools. After a week of working with the tools Patrick showed his family what he had created. From a Small Creature Garden to the Food Room, to steering the Jolly Mermaid on through to the Friendly Animal Room, Pa...more
Emily
We gave this book to Rees for his 6th birthday, and I purchased it 9 months in advance, if that says how excited I was for him to have it.

If you happen to like some of Mark Teague's other stuff, you'll eat this up, be it a bit unorthodox. Caveat: I don't appreciate some of Mark's work like the series about the dog detective named LaRue (or of some such name) but I adore his One Halloween Night, The Baby Tamer, Pigsty, Frog Medicine, and the How Do Dinosaurs...series.

Anyway, this one is so creat...more
Megan Moore
The Flying Dragon is another good fantasy children's book because of its creativity and great illustrations. This book has large, detailed, and colorful pictures that is really eye catching. The book has pictures that relate to children, such as bugs and bubbles, so children reading the book can relate to the images and know what they are reading. It is an easy to read kids book that allows children to be creative and use their imagination to imagine this room that the young boy in the story has...more
Christy Brown
This is another imaginative story that would be a great part of a classroom. Ir shows that you can turn any situation into something magical. The characters are also very identifiable to students, the grandmother image in the fixer upper handyperson, the parents who support the child in his quest and are a part of the story. The pictures again are very bright in images, using different colors and different spacial features.
Shyam Rahim
A little boy is underfoot. He's handed a box of special tools by an old woman (gotta love that!) who is helping to paint his new house for him. She tells the little boy to do some special building while the adults are busy. He "builds" a fantastic world under the ground - filled with mini creatures, a jumping room, and more. When the painting is all done, he takes his family on an incredible tour.
Brooke
Not my favorite, but they all cannot be. The book does put an imagination to good work though. It starts out with Patrick, a child pouting because his parents will not let him give them a hand. A helper hands him their special tools and he gets to work creating special places that can be opened with a special button. A good one for kids I suppose.
June
Feb 25, 2012 June rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: imagination requests
Recommended to June by: picture book club - January 2012
I enjoyed the imaginative aspect of the story, but felt depth was lacking. A boy is given a box of special tools to keep him busy while the house is painted. He creates 7 rooms, which he takes his family and Mrs. Jenkins to visit. I did enjoy the ending where Mrs. Jenkins takes off on her flying dragon inviting eveyone to visit her rooms tomorrow.
Jenny
Great book for making predictions and would be a great book to lead to children creating their own magical rooms (as an art or writing project.) I love the ending. My kids and I all loved seeing what rooms he'd created and sharing what rooms we would create. Great story and great illustrations!
Ruth
Loved the illustrations and the imagination of the child. Kids would really get into this book and what their room would be like. I love how the parents love the child's imagination and enjoy the boy's adventures with him. Finding the baby was cute too. Definitely a book to stir up imagination in anyone.
Anne
I think this is my favorite kids book right now - Weslandia is a close second.
Gorgeous illustrations and a fantastic story about how a young person creates and shares a magical realm with his family.
Hard to find sometimes; a large format hardback if available is a great one to get.
Alaina Sloo
A wonderful read-aloud book for preschool and kindergarten, full of imagination. What kid wouldn't want to invent a bouncing room?! Large illustrations full of quirky details that even kids in a group setting can see pick out from a storytime circle. Closer up they're even better.
Eagle Heights2
If you like dragon books, I highly recommend The Flying Dragon Room/ It is right for you. It is about a boy who builds a flying dragon room. It probably will inspire you like it did me. He built bubble room. You should check it out at the public library. Azzy
Mary Train
Cute story...great illustrations. I couldn't help thinking about which came first...this story or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Really, it's the same concept, minus the chocolate, if that makes sense? Read it and see what you think.
Camille
I loved this book and boys want to create their own rooms so we built a magical tool box and were are going to undergo construction this week and create rooms from our imaginations onto paper and make up our own story. Great book!
Ronda
Another winner from Audrey Wood. Great story, especially for any time when a child is feeling left out of "grown-up" work.
Heidi Petterson
This was a fun book but it reminded me a tiny bit of A Day with Wilbur Robinson so not sure it's real original.
Erin
we kept waiting to see the flying dragon room and it was never there. My kids didn't care for it too much.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Audrey Wood studied art and drama at the Arkansas Art Center in Little Rock, Arkansas. She has owned an operated a book and import store, taught chldren's drama and art, and traveled throughout Mexico and Guatemala studying Indian folk art. She now lives in Hawaii with her talented family (husband Don and son Bruce, who have both collaborated with Audrey by illustrating some of her books).
More about Audrey Wood...
The Napping House King Bidgood's in the Bathtub Silly Sally Quick as a Cricket Heckedy Peg