Start by marking “Nanny by Chance” as Want to Read:
Nanny by Chance

Nanny by Chance

Araminta Pomfrey is finally about to pursue her dream to train as a nurse when she finds herself looking after the twin nephews of Dr. Marcus van der Breugh! Marcus is so handsome and kind that Mintie knows she's fallen in love. But does Marcus want a wife?
Paperback, Best of Betty Neels Collection, 219 pages
Published September 2007 by Harlequin Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Nanny by Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nanny by Chance

Aayesha Khatri
Nanny by Chance by Betty Neels

Oh. Dear. God. *wails* Oh my God. This book was just so…oh God. I love Betty Neels so much, and dear GOD, how much I missed her!!! *wails some more* The food, the breath-taking description of the scenery, the unflappable calm of her heroes, the sensibility of her heroines… *sigh* She is one of the most talented authors I’ve ever read. I am so glad that I found her. Reading her books is one of the simple pleasures of life.

Now this book, while very much the
Emily Corse
Aug 01, 2011 Emily Corse rated it it was ok
Well, if you're a fan of Betty Neels, you know exactly what this is. She rarely disappoints on any element: the poor but plucky nurse, the rich and powerful older Dutch doctor, some excellent meals, a tiny soupçon of adventure (in this case, young boy with mumps, heroine in empty house at Christmas). On the other hand, you really have to be in the mood for such a light concoction and I could barely force my eyes to keep trudging through this time. But it's a classic Betty.
This was good, but I felt no chemistry between the two main characters. They spent very little time together and while we were able to be inside each of the characters heads when they realized that they loved the other, I didn't believe either of them.
Dewi Read
Jun 29, 2010 Dewi Read rated it did not like it
OMG...dunno what to say... :(
Pamela Shropshire
Jun 04, 2015 Pamela Shropshire rated it liked it
Shelves: tgb
Araminta Pomfrey - goes by Mintie - has elderly, scholarly parents who specialize in Celtic history and ignoring Mintie. Mintie has spent the past few years working at a children's convalescent home and running the house. But now an elderly cousin is coming to run the house and Mintie has decided to train as a nurse. But first, the local doctor has recommended Araminta as a temp nanny for a couple of archaeologists with twin boys while they are away. The boys are to go to a maternal uncle, who t ...more
Tonya Warner
Araminta Pomfrey is finally able to start her own life. Having older parents that are more intellectual than practical, Mintie has always taken care of the home. An older cousin willing to move in and help has given her the opportunity to go to scgool to become a nurse. Her parents though have accepted a position for her to act as a nanny for a doctor's twin nephews over in Holland and effectually halt her plans.

Dr. Marcus van der Breugh needs a nanny to care for his nephews while their parents
Mirella Grace
Jul 24, 2008 Mirella Grace rated it it was amazing
The third time I read this book, I should put 5 stars for this book. Well, really love Marcus van der Breugh and his Mintie..

I remembered the first time I read this novel, it was in 2000. I brought and read this while visiting my cousin and her husband, a Dutch dentist in their hotel. The dentist asked what was the book I read and explained him the synopsis of the novel.

From my cousin's hubby, I know that Utrecht (the city which become the setting of this novel) was spelled "U-Trecht" instead of
Alexandra Brovco
Romance is romance. My Mother loves Betty Neels books, and I pick my Mum's romance recommendations (as I am not usually into this genre that much) whenever I need a quick step-away from whatever it is that I'm reading at that moment. Betty Neels's books are all sweet, slow-paced, and... nice -- but a little too old-fashioned for me, I suppose.

The two-star rating is not so much a two-star as it is the "itsokay" note that GR assigns to it. I rec this book to folks who love romance genre. Betty Nee
Marybelle
Jan 21, 2015 Marybelle rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story very much, and loved how Marcus comes to realize his feelings for Ariminta's, but was disappointed that there was no epilogue or hint of what happens next. It feels like the story just stops.
Kobie
Apr 16, 2014 Kobie rated it really liked it
oh so quaint
Allison
Aug 26, 2013 Allison rated it liked it
A fine read, true to the Betty Neels style. I don't love how the doctor shows up right after she gets made redundant. She should have at least made it home!
Mandy Hemmings
Jun 01, 2013 Mandy Hemmings rated it really liked it
This was the usual Betty Neels fare - strong, self-contained Dutch doctor, underrated and put-upon heroine, no hanky-panky and lots of delicious-sounding food! Great - a literary comfort blanket! :-)
M
M rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Sue
Sue rated it did not like it
Aug 14, 2013
Gordon Mitchell
Gordon Mitchell rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Carol Hach
Carol Hach rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2016
Merry
Merry rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2014
Mary Deakin
Mary Deakin rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2017
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
May 07, 2015
Odile Feria
Odile Feria rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Indigo
Indigo rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2009
Janani Srinivasan
Janani Srinivasan rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Regina
Regina rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2014
Pamela Kource
Pamela Kource rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Lydia
Lydia rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Leah
Leah rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2008
Anneted920
Anneted920 rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2008
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2012
Deborah Chester
Deborah Chester rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • House of Mirrors
  • Sheikh's Desert Duty (The Chatsfield, #9)
  • Temporary Wife
  • Substitute Bride
  • Playing The Royal Game (The Santina Crown #8)
  • Shameful Secret, Shotgun Wedding
  • Rake with a Frozen Heart
  • The Fiorenza Forced Marriage (Harlequin Presents #2807)
  • Maggie's Dad (Bighorn, Wyoming #1)
  • Lost to the Desert Warrior (The Private Lives of Public Playboys #3)
  • The Greek's Christmas Baby (Kouros Brothers Duo, #2; Greek Tycoons, #3)
  • The Spaniard's Marriage Bargain (The Marriage Bargain, #1)
  • The Sheriff and the Innocent Housekeeper
  • Love's Legacy
  • Falling for Trouble
  • Land of Dreams
  • Gallant Waif
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years.(This stood her in good stead later for the tribulations to come with the Second World War). She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and Stat ...more
More about Betty Neels...