Start by marking “Sweet Dream Pie” as Want to Read:
Sweet Dream Pie

Sweet Dream Pie

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  36 reviews
From two of today's most talented creators of children's books comes an outrageously delicious tale about an irresistible pie.

Imagine a pie made of chocolate, gumdrops, licorice -- and every sweet ingredient you love. Bestselling author Audrey Wood teams up with popular illustrator Mark Teague to concoct a tale about a pie so irresistible it can't be forgotten -- and the s
Published July 1st 2002 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Dream Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Dream Pie

Rip Van Winkle by Washington IrvingSleeping Murder by Agatha ChristieThe Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerThe Odyssey by HomerPolitically Correct Bedtime Stories by James Finn Garner
Zeds 'n' beds
126th out of 139 books — 20 voters
Pancakes for Breakfast by Tomie dePaolaIf You Give a Cat a Cupcake by Laura Joffe NumeroffBunny Cakes by Rosemary WellsThunder Cake by Patricia PolaccoLittle Mouse and the Big Cupcake by Thomas Taylor
Picture Books About Cakes
55th out of 66 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

English 212
The pictures in this book were amazing. The whole page from top to bottom and both sides were full of color and life. The pictures to me made the story. I think the message in this is very subtle or may be very different for someone else, but to me this book was about how not always getting something you want may be for the best. Everyone wants to eat Ma's pie and everyone is told not to eat too much or else, except for Amy. Amy really wants to eat the pie, but is not allowed because it makes he ...more
Connie
This is a marvelous, detailed fantasy.

All day, Ma and Pa Brindle make an enormous "Sweet Dream Pie". The pie is clearly magical - every move the Brindles make to bake this pie is echoed on the street. When they roll out the dough, everybody falls off their bed onto the floor. When the oven is on, the street is hot. When they blow on the pie to cool it off, a breeze picks up in the neighborhood.

All the neighbors (except the little allergic girl) are invited to have a single slice of pie - but the
Amy
Just before dawn, Ma and Pa Brindle go up to the attic to get the fixings for making sweet dream pie- a mysterious dessert that's sure to get everyone talking. The culinary confection takes a day to make and while its cooking (on a special setting on the oven) the neighborhood fills with irresistible scents. The people are lured in, and when the pie is ready, Pa brings out the enormous treat. Ma warns, "just one slice!" But hardly a soul can refrain and thirds and fourths are gulped down. As peo ...more
Elissa
This is one of my favorite children's books. Beautifully illustrated and a wonderful story about a giant candy pie and fantastical dream characters that take over the town. My kids LOVED this book.
Rosa Cline
This book is for BIG IMAGINATIONS (similar to Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs) it also teaches kids about what it's like to eat to much sweets even after they have been warned not to eat as much.
Dana Pressnell
3.5 stars. Felt a bit like cloudy with a chance of meatballs. Loved the whole story line except ending was just okay. Audrey wood author. Mark Teague illustrator
Jane G Meyer
My son loved this book. It is wild and wacky and filled with sweets. I'm not so taken by it because now he wants to make a pie filled with every sweet thing in our kitchen! And... he talks about bad dreams more than I would like. He hasn't had any yet, but I'm not sure how smart it is to bring that subject up with little ones, even though it's all done in fun.

If you do tumble upon this book, read it with a Southern accent. So fun! The language flows so beautifully and you can become a Georgia gi
Nicole
One of my friends who is expecting her first baby asked for some children's books recommendations so I have started adding them. Audrey Wood is one of my very favorite children's authors and this is the book that introduced me to her. I love it! It feeds the imagination and the illustrations are cute. What I really love about Audrey Wood is the attention she pays to the rhythm of her words. They roll off your tongue and are a lot of fun to read out loud.
Francesca
This book was, by far, one of the most prevalent and beloved picture books of my childhood. I loved the vibrant colors of the whimsical illustrations, and the concept (a pie made entirely of candy), while appalling to most adults, was entrancing to my sister and me. To this day, I still remember Inky King, and the fact that he looked like he'd "swallowed a bowling ball" after he had eaten a few to many slices of pie.
Natalie Cottam
this is most certainly one of my favorite kids' books EVER! it is so descriptively written, and the plot is so wacky and fun. every single one of my kids was completely captivated by it. it is out of print, so now i am on a mission to find a copy of this in hardcover for our collection. mark teague never disappoints, and audrey wood's words have never been better.
Tricia
Audrey Wood's writing is always magical and this tale is no exception. Ma's baking of a sweet dream pie sets the whole neighborhood into overindulgence resulting in Ma's sweeping up of monsterish creatures throughout the night until the effect wears off. Could be interpreted as a warning against overindulgence in sugary sweets!
Heidi
Interesting and odd story. But very colorful pictures. I wouldn't have even touched that pie knowing what went into it. Serves all those greedy people right to have the dreams they did. Too bad--I mean, lucky for them that Ma Brindle is so nice to take care of it all.
Nicole
Nov 20, 2008 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 7 and 8 year olds who are hip enough to get it
A cool idea. I loved how making the pie affected the town (ie- open the trunk and cats open an eye) but that it was never explained outright. Having the dreams come to life was also entertaining.

Not your average PB, which automatically makes it cool in my book.
Tiffany Tilton
I absolutely loved this book! The plot line is very different than anything i have ever read before. This book is good for storytime, or possibly a book report; this book gives kids opportunity to really explore their imaginations.
Karen L.
My kids also loved this one and insisted I add it to goodreads. We made our own sweet dream pie with fruity rice cereal (real colorful)and marshmallows following a rice crispy treat recipe. We added a little regular rice crispies too.
Amanda Goodman
It was strange. The dreams that sugar induces were really weird. I couldn't decide if they were trying to get the message across that to much sugar does strange things or if the author just thought it was a fun story line.
Ellen Brandt
Winning Combination: Audrey Wood (author) and Mark Teague (illustrator). I always start with a discussion of favorite pies. (and then later we think of favorite sweets that we'd add to this magic pie)
Greta
I'm not so fond of the type of illustrations in this book, but this is a great book. My students grades 1-3 absolutely loved this book. It provides rampant opportunities for children to make connections.
Chrystie Sargent
My boys find this one at the library a lot! From the amount of times we have read or I think it's a good investment. Kept my preschool class entertained as well.
Rozalyn
My kids love this one, I think it's all the candy. I think the ending is a little anti-climactic, but that's just me. Mark Teague is one of our favorite illustrators.
Mikiele Luce
I love everything about this book! The story is unique and captivating and the illustrations make me wish that I had a slice of that pie.
Page
Cute story-I wasn't sure if my three year old would be able to follow it, but he did and he loved it. He thought it was so silly.
Teressa
Jun 16, 2007 Teressa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Fantastic book. I wish I'd heard this when I was little. Amazing pictures, amazing story, equally amazing via audio tape.
Rebekah
This book is actually based on Jake's Great Aunt and Uncle, who were neighbors of Audrey Wood and is dedicated to them.
Meredith Martin
Oct 05, 2008 Meredith Martin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Meredith by: Melinda
This is an inredibly goofy book that I wish were true. It would be AWESOME to make a pie like the one in this book!
Ashanti
Apr 28, 2009 Ashanti rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Alexis gilbert
Shelves: silly-books
I was funny when ma and pa was throwing in all different kinds of candy without wrappers and with wrappers
Amy Carr
I love Mark Teague's illustrations! The story was cute while also being very bizarre. Loved the beginning...
Rida
I had a lot of fun reading this book it was funny and I wanted some of the pie too
Lindsey
Jun 27, 2012 Lindsey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bedtime story
Such a cute book! The kids loved the pictures of the "sweet dreams".
Theresa
creative story about pie and dreams and over doing it on something
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?!
  • Whopper Cake
  • Cat and Fish
  • The Best Book to Read
  • Pete & Pickles
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
Audrey Wood studied art and drama at the Arkansas Art Center in Little Rock, Arkansas. She has owned an operated a book and import store, taught chldren's drama and art, and traveled throughout Mexico and Guatemala studying Indian folk art. She now lives in Hawaii with her talented family (husband Don and son Bruce, who have both collaborated with Audrey by illustrating some of her books).
More about Audrey Wood...
The Napping House King Bidgood's in the Bathtub Silly Sally Quick as a Cricket Heckedy Peg