Start by marking “I Have Not Been Able to Get Through to Everyone” as Want to Read:
I Have Not Been Able to Get Through to Everyone

I Have Not Been Able to Get Through to Everyone

“A trailblazing work.”—Lewis Warsh

“An auspicious debut. . . . Stripped of artifice and the mere effects of formal pyrotechnics, these poems move by ear and intellect, pushing and pulling at the real with precision and mystery.”—Ammiel Alcalay

“Poetry reinvents itself in Plato’s cave, where nothing can be seen but the mind’s agile resources climbing the walls of our presen
Published September 1st 2006 by Turtle Point Press

To ask other readers questions about I Have Not Been Able to Get Through to Everyone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Have Not Been Able to Get Through to Everyone

Matthew M.
Feb 27, 2008 Matthew M. rated it it was amazing
A. “I can’t remember what it is I’m supposed to be doing,” declares Moschovakis’ speaker from the poem, Untitled, which begins her collection of poems. What’s rather spooky about this declaration: it doesn’t seem to erupt from the margins of self, but is articulated as the crux of our new century’s vocalized dilemma. Words are mere plastic, and perhaps, we follow Yeats to where “things fall apart; the center cannot hold;/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world.” The ironically speaking subject, fi ...more
Anya Yankelevich
Mar 23, 2008 Anya Yankelevich rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lisa, Tina
This collection of poetry keeps drawing me back. It seems that Ms. Moschovakis wants to get through to me! Every time I return, I get something more - humor that I missed the last time, insights that I couldn't quite get my head around the first time. I look forward to bending back the cover, as if anew, each time. I would love to hear your thoughts!
Fred
Dec 28, 2007 Fred rated it it was amazing
I recently got stuck in the waiting room of a doctor's office for about three hours. Even the staff had left for the day. I was alone. All alone. I had Anna's book with me. Thank god, because I don't read German Elle (typically). The book is made up of several long poems in sections: "Dependence Day Parade" and "Preparations" stand out for me, but the whole thing is great. Check it.
Andrew Maxwell
Aug 30, 2008 Andrew Maxwell rated it it was amazing
The poem is the garden of the propositional; the result of this work, in its variance, disguised as poetry–– it's the garden news.
Mark
Jan 09, 2008 Mark rated it it was amazing
Anna's poems are like a bright, beautiful machine.
Craig
Jun 29, 2009 Craig rated it liked it
Read that as 3.5 stars. A collection that I was more 'interested in' than 'liked' if that makes a sort of sense.

It is a collection very interested in the workings (and non-workings, you could say) of language. In that, it definitely works.

Thought provoking. Funny at points. Interesting.

Doesn't grab you by the heart, though. And that's refreshing from time to time.

The tiny poem I liked the most (when many in the collection are quite long) doesn't really exemplify the rest, but regardless...

(A
Colin Moon
Mar 22, 2014 Colin Moon rated it liked it
Plenty of good lines, but the cohesiveness of the work slants away; this may be because I prefer a more narrative form of poetry, but I often got lost waiting for delight rather than having it delivered--the language is fantastic, but the fireworks aren't as spectacular as I would have hoped.
Ivan
Ivan rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2007
Bonnie Jean Michalski
Bonnie Jean Michalski rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2008
John
John rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2007
Raechel
Raechel rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2008
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2007
Kristen Case
Kristen Case rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2008
Filip Marinovich
Filip Marinovich rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2009
Tori
Tori rated it it was ok
May 26, 2015
Ana
Ana rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2008
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2007
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2008
David
David rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2007
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2007
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2014
donna
donna rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2007
Lanny
Lanny rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2008
Kent
Kent rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2013
Jake Adam
Jake Adam rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2007
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2008
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2012
françois
françois rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2007
Trey Sager
Trey Sager rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

“not since I sacrificed
the word love for the thing

have I fought such a mind in my war.”
2 likes