Start by marking “Last Breath (Last #3)” as Want to Read:
Last Breath (Last #3)

Last Breath (Last #3)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  989 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
As renowned archaeologist Dr. Daria McGowan readies the most important project of her career—a university museum exhibit showcasing the priceless artifacts her great-grandfather unearthed a century earlier in the Middle East—she makes a shocking discovery: Many of the most significant pieces have vanished. Panicked, Daria turns to the FBI.

Solving the mystery is an assignme
Audio CD
Published July 31st 2007 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Last Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Breath

Jim
Mar 05, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If someone told me this was really authored by someone else, I'd be inclined to believe them. It had a different beginning, and a different feel throughout. I've read a lot of Stewart and know she has the talent to do this, so I'll not claim it was someone else.

This balanced just about everything well. The archaeology, the characters, the murders, and the "romance" (every one of her FBI books has to have romance, whether you want it or not. One place I really did not like it--too much detail, bu
Gerry Bartlett
Feb 12, 2015 Gerry Bartlett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, contemporary
I picked this old book up at a used book store. I won't deny Stewart is a master storyteller. She really knows how to construct a mystery too. The only reason I took away a star here is the romance. It was such an afterthought that I got irritated. Yes, there was an attraction. The FBI agent, who for some inexplicable reason goes all over the world, falls for the renowned archaeologist who is at the local college to put her late great grandfather's finds on display. When gruesome murders start t ...more
Mojca
Jan 18, 2009 Mojca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE!!!
Recommended to Mojca by: I brought this upon myself at the Mexico City airport
As a renowned archaeologist, Dr. Daria McGowan is invited to prepare an exhibit of priceless artifacts unearthed a century ago by her great-grandfather.

As she starts cataloging the artifacts, she makes a shocking discovery. Some are missing. With her back against the wall, she calls the FBI, actually an FBI agent, Special Agent Connor Shields, she's met a few months back in Morocco...And he is more than happy to accept, since she's been "haunting" his dreams ever since their (one and only) encou
Danella Virtue
Sep 13, 2015 Danella Virtue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable book about an archaeology family with suspense and love and murder! Not my usual genre but a fun read!
Katy
Jan 02, 2015 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Stewart's writings! I read my first one a couple of years ago as a First Reads on this site. I was hooked.

An archeologist is asked to come to Howe College to catalogue her grandfather's collection from a long ago, mystical near mythical civilization from ancient Turkey. It will be displayed at the college in a state-of-the art museum so that the college can received continued beneficiaries and funding. She does, only to discover that many very important pieces have disappeared. She
Ayu Wirdha
Daria seorang arkeolog mendapat pekerjaan utk mempersiapkan benda2 bersejarah utk pembukaan museum di sebuah universitas milik keluarganya. Saat menginventaris baru ketahuan bahwa ada barang2 yg hilang yg seharusnya ada di daftar yg dibuat kakek buyutnya dgn barang fisiknya. Dgn dibantu Connor, agen FBI yg dikenalnya di Maroko, Daria menemukan bbrp kolektor pribadi yg menyimpan benda2 tsb baru2 ini tewas dgn tangan & lidah terpotong & benda2 itupun jg hilang. Di novel seblmnya, Connor di ...more
Ma. Julie Bee Unlayao
First of all, i think that the title and the cover of this book doesn't seem to relate to the story,(hehehe) but i still liked it. It's a real page turner and absolutely interesting! A quick easy read and thrilling plot. If you love history and archeology, well this BOOK is a good pick! !

First character is Daria McGowan, a professor of archeology/archeologist (his great grandfather is Alistair McGowan a well-known archeologist who discovered a lost civilization, the Shandihar)....(Shandihar is
Maura
Dotti Elrick
We first heard about FBI agent Conner Shields in the first book of the FBI series, Dead Wrong. He's been in and out of several other books, but this is his story.
Conner first met archaeologist Daria McGowin in a small Moroccan villa where he was enjoying some rare down time. Before he could get to know her better, he was called away on another one of his "super secret missions". But he leaves her his card and tells her to call him anytime.
While working on a dig in Northwestern Iran, Daria gets
Louise
Apr 10, 2009 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I love Mariah Stewart's novels and this newly released, was no disappointment!! Can hardly wait for the next novel, 'MERCY STREET' to hit store shelves. I've read all her books to date.

From back cover:

"A renowned archaeologist Dr. Daria McGowan readies the most important project of her career - a university museum exhibit showcasing the priceless artifacts her great-grandfather unearthed a century earlier in the Middle East - she makes a shocking discovery: many of the most significant pieces ha
Sharon
Sep 29, 2012 Sharon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
BORING. Internationally renowned archaeologist Daria McGowan is called away from a dig in some desert to look over a collection of her artifacts acquired by her great grandfather. The artifacts are from a lost matriarchal culture and stored in the basement of a museum at a second-rate college. She delightedly goes to the college, finds some of the artifacts are missing, enlists the help of an FBI agent, Conner, whom she has met only once. Conner comes running, and they find out that collectors w ...more
Marilyn Groves
Lighter suspense with some romance. Enjoyed the archeological 'bit's. Quick synopsis - Asked to organize a museum exhibition of her grandfather's discovery in Turkey over a hundred years ago, archeologist Doria finda a number of pieces missing. With the aid of handsome FBI agent Conner, they track down the pieces... and more.
Kathryn
Jul 05, 2008 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An archaeologist, Dr. Daria McGowan, is preparing an exhibit of her late great-grandfather's artifacts. She finds that some of the pieces are missing. Daria works with FBI agent Connor Shields to track them down. What they find is that the owners of the items have been gruesomely murdered in a ritualistic way. They have to race to prevent the murders of the remaining owners, recover the remaining artifacts, and uncover a killer. The cover of this book says it is a suspense but my library has a r ...more
Judith
Aug 18, 2015 Judith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stewart-mariah
I loved the Archaeological influence in this book. It is a change of pace from the other John Mancini series books. (Check out Mariah's Good Reads website for a complete list). This final book, features the elusive Connor and Mariah pairs him up the with archaeologist Daria for a suspense mystery relating to the artifacts of an Ancient City. Called home from a dig to catalogue artifacts found by her Great Grandfather for a museum opening, Daria discovers that some of the rare artifacts are missi ...more
Kristin
This book was a very hard read for me, I was so surprised because I have loved all the other books in this series. I was excited to finally meet Conner after hearing bout the mysterious man in all the other books.
Joyce
Oct 06, 2014 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I expected this to be pure chick lit and was most pleasantly surprised by how well plotted it was and how well the characters were developed. Fun reading.
Rylie
Feb 18, 2015 Rylie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all Mariah Stewart books it was awesome but I'm so not into archeology! I'm just not interested in reading about it.
Alisha
Apr 16, 2016 Alisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.85 Will we learn more about Jack?
Meaghan
Marlene
Apr 14, 2010 Marlene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Easy read mystery/romance. Daria prepares to set up a museum display of her great grandfather's archeological diggings, only to find that some are missing. She contacts Connor, the eventual love interest and member of the FBI, and, in their search for the stolen artifacts, they begin to find that people who had one of the artifacts in their private collections were being murdered. And so they set out to solve the murders. They do, and live happily ever after.
Nicole
Aug 10, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. The history and archeology were awesome to read, and I liked that the romance went at a fairly slow pace, not whirlwind- it was more realisitc that way. I also loved that the romance (at least for the characters) took a back seat to the whole solve-the-mruders plot. It was nice to see them put the serious issues frist (doesn't happen often in books with romance).
Marion
Nov 26, 2008 Marion rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this book was such a bore i only got 3/4 of the way through before giving up. the characters were 2 dimensional and not in the least engaging. they were stuck up and stuffy and made the poorest choices known to man. situations and reactions were totally unbelievable. the 2 stars are only because the book might not be as bad as i think, maybe i was just having an off day.
Debra
Sep 20, 2008 Debra rated it did not like it
Sigh. On the surface this is an enjoyable romantic suspense novel by an author who has turned out several excellent ones. But, the main charactes made so many incredibly stupid decisions and/or professional no-nos that suspending disbelief became impossible. I finished it, but it left an unpleasant taste in my mouth.
Andrea
Jun 14, 2010 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Connor Shields FBI agent and world traveler. Viewed Daria McGowan, professor of archeology,in Morocco, joined her for dinner but got called away. Now they are both back in the United States where Daria has taken a position with the university which houses a collection of antiquities gathered by her great-grandfather.
Barbara ★
Not as good as the others in the series. Honestly I was more bored than anything. I liked Daria and I liked Connor but together they were lame (and not together at all really). The mystery didn't intrigue me and neither did the investigation. Just blah.
Jeannie
I loved the archeological reference in this book, right up my alley! I liked the book overall, found it a bit predictable, but a good way to pass the time. If I was looking for suspense, I would have been disappointed. I would read this author again.
Biba
Aug 31, 2013 Biba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I loved Daria, especially Connor. There were some things left unfinished, so I hope we come back to it in another book. I would love to see how Daria and Connor are doing. Oh, I loved Sweet Thing too.
Mary
May 07, 2008 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
romantic suspense. I liked the college atmosphere & archeological info. I will read more by this author when I run out of new books to read.... Just happened to pick this one off the new shelf or a display, I forget which.
Alexina
You have to read about half way into the book before it finally gets really interesting. The first half drags a bit.
Len Romano
Not as good as the last book In this series. It was a quick read, however. The villains are revealed to late in the book. Action could have been a little better as well. An average read.
  • Fear No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #3)
  • The Assassin (Selena McCaffrey, #1)
  • Watch Me (The Last Stand, #3)
  • Deep Disclosure (A-Tac, #4)
  • Crossfire (High Risk #2)
  • Deadly Dreams (Mindhunters, #5)
  • Cold Pursuit (Black Falls, #1)
  • White Heat (T-FLAC, #11)
  • Last Whisper
Mariah Stewart is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of twenty-six novels and three novellas and has been featured in the Wall Street Journal. She is a RITA finalist in romantic suspense and the recipient of the Award of Excellence for contemporary romance, a RIO Award for excellence in women's fiction, and a Reviewers Choice Award from Romantic Times Magazine. A three-time winner ...more
More about Mariah Stewart...

Last (3 books)
  • Last Look (Last #1; John Mancini #11)
  • Last Words (Last #2; John Mancini #12)