Start by marking “The Bounce Back Book: How to Thrive in the Face of Adversity, Setbacks, and Losses” as Want to Read:

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  50 reviews
"Salmansohn's writing is bold, playful, insightful—with powerful metaphors that provoke and inspire. Her kinetic images amplify her message and take the book to a new level of literary experience." - Deepak Chopra, author of Seven Laws of Spiritual Success

A bad breakup. A serious illness. The loss of a job. Life has a habit of throwing people curveballs. To which Karen Sa
Published May 14th 2008 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Bounce Back Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bounce Back Book

Becca
I am a big fan of Karen Salmansohn. I found this book, however, to be a little more situation specific than her other books I've read - meaning, it will be more impactful to you if you're actually recovering from some sort of big event or trauma, than if you're not. That being said, I still tagged half a dozen pages of useful quotations, activities, and stories, and I know I'll be referencing this book next time I'm dealing with something "big" in life.
Liisa
Quite simply, I adored The Bounce Back Book by Karen Salmansohn. In fact I don’t think words exist for how I feel about this book. It’s a hug in book form.

I’m all for self-improvement and making the most of our time here but I’m not overly-keen on “self-help” books: pages and pages AND PAGES of dreary and mind-numbing research. No thank you. I’d rather stay in an emotional mire!

So why did I then pick up The Bounce Back Book? Thanks to a mistaken Google search, I ended up on Salmansohn’s website
Brenda Moffitt
Everything about about this book screams "FUN!" From the red rubber cover to the thick colorful pages, it's a pleasure to read. Every left page contains a tip on how to "get going when the going gets tough" and every right page illuminates the tip and offers a small assignment. It's whimsical, yet practical and packs lots of big advice into a small package. Using quotes and cliches in a clever way, Salmansohn reminds us not to settle into our misery, but to bounce back from it in a playful way.
Suzanne
This is a very nice book - I checked it out from the library but think I will have to purchase it. It has all kinds of neat quotes, tips, and exercises. This is probably something I will pick up again and again.
Desiree
Not bad. Clever, cute, nice font(s) and design. Some good nuggets of wisdom in here, most Buddhist-influenced. Liked it, didn't love it.
Hope
Sometimes you feel yourself spiraling downward, and you don't know what to do next. Recommended to me by a good friend, I picked up this book.

Bounce Back is packed with nuggets of uplifting, empowering wisdom. Salmansohn's book uses a conversational tone and plenty of humor to share her 75 tips for bouncing back from one (or a multitude — what she calls "The Vortex") of life's challenges: life and death, career pitfalls, assault and personal violations, relationship troubles, financial struggles
Tami
This is a clever little book that grabbed me from first glance with it's red, rubbery cover to complement the title. It is full of useful, bite-sized affirmations and assignments for overcoming life's little (and big) setbacks. You don't need to be going through a major crisis to benefit from the "75 Tips grounded in happiness research, medical studies, positive psychology, Eastern meditation, and even Greek philosophy."

The author's tone is casual and insightful, like getting a dose of much-nee
ali
While this is a cute little book, it fails to deliver with the exception of three or four nuggets. It tends to be overly simplistic. I'm a therapist and read this to see if it would be appropriate to refer to clients and wouldn't recommend especially to those who have experienced complex trauma(s) or deep depression. It seems to be better suited for the "worried well".
Melissa
And this is why I don't read self-help books.

So, full of cliche advice. I did like the fact that it pulled from a lot of different sources....However, as a result of doing so a lot of it didn't come off as original.

Here are 75 one line tips and some stuff from other folks to flesh it out. Tada.....book.

Helen
I like how the book is set up. She has each point numbered and it gives the reader ways they can bounce back/and change their thinking. You don't have to read through pages to find out 1 point but rather each point is given at the most around 2 pages.
Oridisi
This book was great it was just what I needed to help me thru the rough times I've been going thru, I learned how to be patient, how to not take things for granted and to move forward and not live in the past, great book.
April
I really did enjoy this quick, short read full of 75 tips for bouncing back from adversity. I reserve 1 star for Salmansohn's pop lit style, with cutesy humor and shtick, because I realize that's her gimmick. But the tips are solid and presented well, and you walk away feeling like you've been empowered not simply to "get over it," but to - shall I use the word? - thrive.

I gave my copy of the book to 2 women I met in a vegan cafe in Woodstock, NY because they showed great interest. They said per
Laurie Garcia
This is a really great, fun and thought provoking book offering tips, advice and antidotes for those going through loss, disappointment, and hardship. She uses her own experiences to relate to readers and utilizes information from psychologists, self help gurus, and world religions to emphasize her points. The book is full of color, illustrations, and funny stories making it a very fun and easy read. I found myself highlighting away and marking several pages that really spoke it me. I highly rec ...more
Josie Derhammer
I originally bought this book over a year ago because I loved the title and texture of the cover, yes, I really do buy books just for that reason sometimes. After recently moving from Wisconsin to Florida I found myself in a mini funk and feeling kind of lost, so I picked up the book; it made me immediately smile and reconsider a lot of my feeling and reactions to things since I moved. The book is short and set up in a list format that makes it feel like you are barely reading, but it certainly ...more
Crystal
I am a HUGE reader and typically have anywhere from 2-5 books on my nightstand at a time.

Each time I read a book that I believe has a great message to share or I just really enjoyed it, I am going to share it here on “Book Joy” and write a few favorite quotes or things I liked from the book.

I recently read this book, Bounce Back, I really enjoyed it because it was a short book that had a lot of great points in it.

To read my complete review you can view it on my website:

Luci
Pretty good self-help book subtitled "How to thrive in the face of adversity, setbacks, and losses."

The author cites lots of credible sources in a friendly, non-academic way, and turns phrases memorably. I liked "Feeling means you're dealing means you're healing," and "If you ask depressing questions, you will 100% get depressing answers."

That said, there wasn't a lot of new information to me, so this is a book best for people seeking support who want newsbite-sized suggestions, who haven't alre
Janice
This is not your typical self-help book. It is full of tips, exercises, and advise, but written in language that is neither too academic or too judgmental. Written after this author endured a violent attack, this book has real life remedies for anyone who is struggling with depression, or has undergone a trauma in their own life. I borrowed this from the library, but think I will have to purchase it--it is something to go back to, time after time.
Kim
I really liked the advice given in this book for fighting negativity and getting over adversity, great or small. Lots of bite-sized concepts that you can work on one day at a time, lots of humor, and a pretty format help the reader feel less like this is a self-help book and more like it's a devotional aimed at feeling better. Just a few minutes a day can make a big difference.
Kate Schultz
Aug 23, 2012 Kate Schultz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs a little pick-me up
A fun book about sadness. Simple to read, fun graphics that take the reader step-by-step through exercises that can help anyone bounce back from any set-back. The book isn't full of platitudes and "that doesn't apply to me" or "that's not realistic" type idea. It's easy to pick up and read a little bit, or just open to a random page for a little pick-me-up.
Kirsten
This is a great book to have around. If you try to do one of the tips daily, or work on some of them every couple of days, it really does help you to enhance your life's happiness. I think that it also helps you to be more aware of others and give them the benefit of the doubt. Most of the time we have no idea that a close friend or relative is struggleing. Love it!
Janet
This book, with it's red rubber (bouncable)cover, is already a lifesaver and I just started reading it this morning. The author is kind of like Viktor Frankl with a smile, offering mood-lifting exercises designed to increase self-awareness and enhance resilience. Whew! Just what I needed--a` sobering, lighthearted push to Move Me Forward.
Maggie
Jun 28, 2009 Maggie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
What a great little book. It is filled with real and positive strategies from western and easter traditions in a funny, positive way. It is small so it doesn't feel overwhelming. I would highly recommend this book as a fun but very real set of information.

Molly
So lovely for little bits of happiness for those who don't wanna churn through 100 pages of a self-help book until you get to the better advice, but rather want to pick up a book, flip through it, and get happy thoughts and coping strategies right there on the page
Robin
This book is a staple in my bookshelf. The principles in this book have helped me through some of the toughest times of my life. I have recommended it to several people and purchased countless copies for friends through the years. Read it read it read it!!!
Pis4Piglet
A dear friend gave me this book to read because of some things going on in my life and I am really enjoying it getting me to a positive perspective again. Many very good ideas for getting on the right track again. Thank you will read over and over I am sure.
Justine
A perfect book for getting through the tough times in life. My best friend gave me this book after I shut the door to one chapter in my life and started a new one. This book helped me out tremendously. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone!
Atena Oyadi
So far, this is better than I expected. I think the author's greatest strength is keeping things pretty short and simple. But there is quite a bit of very smart, practical advice that you can take at face value and make good use of. Thanks Anita!
Suzan Pinciotti
tried to read this. if you're searching for "something" to believe in, this is a potluck of concepts from different religions. Once I figured this out, I put the book down. A la carte beliefs just aren't my thing.
Kathryn
My psychologist friend gave this to me. As far as self-help books go-and I don't have much experience with them-it's pretty insightful and offers some good suggestions for getting through the rough patches in life.
Stephanie Smith
Karen Salmansohn helped me bounce back from a very difficult time in my life. She offers great tips (in a perfectly appropriate humorous way) on how to heal yourself when it feels as though the world is against you.
  • Creating Your Best Life: The Ultimate Life List Guide
  • Against All Odds: My Life of Hardship, Fast Breaks, and Second Chances
  • Why Sh*t Happens: The Science of a Really Bad Day
  • Tiny Buddha: Simple Wisdom for Life's Hard Questions
  • Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways to Regain Peace and Nourish Your Soul
  • Happy at Last: The Thinking Person's Guide to Finding Joy
  • My So-Called Freelance Life: How to Survive and Thrive as a Creative Professional for Hire
  • Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear, and Worry
  • Reinvention: How to Make the Rest of Your Life the Best of Your Life
  • Blade Runner
  • The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
  • Thoughts & Feelings
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • Overcoming Borderline Personality Disorder: A Family Guide for Healing and Change
How to Be Happy, Dammit: A Cynic's Guide to Spiritual Happiness Instant Happy: 10-Second Attitude Makeovers Enough, Dammit: A Cynic's Guide to Finally Getting What You Want out of Life Even God is Single: (So Stop Giving Me a Hard Time) Prince Harming Syndrome: Break Bad Relationship Patterns for Good -- 5 Essentials for Finding True Love (and they're not what you think)

“View your life with KINDSIGHT. Stop beating yourself up about things from your past. Instead of slapping your forehead and asking, “What was I thinking,” breathe and ask yourself the kinder question, “What was I learning?” 39 likes
“The hardest thing about "everything happens for a reason" is waiting for that reason to show up.” 3 likes