Start by marking “The Bounce Back Book: How to Thrive in the Face of Adversity, Setbacks, and Losses” as Want to Read:

"Salmansohn's writing is bold, playful, insightful—with powerful metaphors that provoke and inspire. Her kinetic images amplify her message and take the book to a new level of literary experience." - Deepak Chopra, author of Seven Laws of Spiritual Success

A bad breakup. A serious illness. The loss of a job. Life has a habit of throwing people curveballs. To which Karen
Published May 14th 2008 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Bounce Back Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bounce Back Book

Becca
Dec 06, 2008 Becca rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
I am a big fan of Karen Salmansohn. I found this book, however, to be a little more situation specific than her other books I've read - meaning, it will be more impactful to you if you're actually recovering from some sort of big event or trauma, than if you're not. That being said, I still tagged half a dozen pages of useful quotations, activities, and stories, and I know I'll be referencing this book next time I'm dealing with something "big" in life.
Brenda
Sep 11, 2011 Brenda rated it really liked it
Everything about about this book screams "FUN!" From the red rubber cover to the thick colorful pages, it's a pleasure to read. Every left page contains a tip on how to "get going when the going gets tough" and every right page illuminates the tip and offers a small assignment. It's whimsical, yet practical and packs lots of big advice into a small package. Using quotes and cliches in a clever way, Salmansohn reminds us not to settle into our misery, but to bounce back from it in a playful way.
Liisa
Quite simply, I adored The Bounce Back Book by Karen Salmansohn. In fact I don’t think words exist for how I feel about this book. It’s a hug in book form.

I’m all for self-improvement and making the most of our time here but I’m not overly-keen on “self-help” books: pages and pages AND PAGES of dreary and mind-numbing research. No thank you. I’d rather stay in an emotional mire!

So why did I then pick up The Bounce Back Book? Thanks to a mistaken Google search, I ended up on Salmansohn’s website
Laurence
Dec 30, 2016 Laurence rated it it was amazing
What a nice opus! I really loved it and it was a refreshing book to browse every day. While very simple, each and every tip made good sense, and each day's "assignment" could become a list of life saving exercises when my moods tank.

This is a book that has a good spot on your "recipe books" shelf in a prominent place in your home, in my very humble opinion!
Suzanne
Jun 23, 2008 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
This is a very nice book - I checked it out from the library but think I will have to purchase it. It has all kinds of neat quotes, tips, and exercises. This is probably something I will pick up again and again.
Desiree
Aug 29, 2013 Desiree rated it liked it
Not bad. Clever, cute, nice font(s) and design. Some good nuggets of wisdom in here, most Buddhist-influenced. Liked it, didn't love it.
Gina
Aug 15, 2016 Gina rated it really liked it
Quick, easy self help read- lots of tips to get through life in one piece.
Laura Ostermeyer
Mar 01, 2017 Laura Ostermeyer rated it it was amazing
Awesome! Helpful and inspiring!
Hope
May 30, 2015 Hope rated it really liked it
Sometimes you feel yourself spiraling downward, and you don't know what to do next. Recommended to me by a good friend, I picked up this book.

Bounce Back is packed with nuggets of uplifting, empowering wisdom. Salmansohn's book uses a conversational tone and plenty of humor to share her 75 tips for bouncing back from one (or a multitude — what she calls "The Vortex") of life's challenges: life and death, career pitfalls, assault and personal violations, relationship troubles, financial struggles
Tami
May 24, 2009 Tami rated it it was amazing
This is a clever little book that grabbed me from first glance with it's red, rubbery cover to complement the title. It is full of useful, bite-sized affirmations and assignments for overcoming life's little (and big) setbacks. You don't need to be going through a major crisis to benefit from the "75 Tips grounded in happiness research, medical studies, positive psychology, Eastern meditation, and even Greek philosophy."

The author's tone is casual and insightful, like getting a dose of much-nee
April
I really did enjoy this quick, short read full of 75 tips for bouncing back from adversity. I reserve 1 star for Salmansohn's pop lit style, with cutesy humor and shtick, because I realize that's her gimmick. But the tips are solid and presented well, and you walk away feeling like you've been empowered not simply to "get over it," but to - shall I use the word? - thrive.

I gave my copy of the book to 2 women I met in a vegan cafe in Woodstock, NY because they showed great interest. They said per
Melissa Hedges- Rankin
Jul 27, 2016 Melissa Hedges- Rankin rated it really liked it
This was a second read for me. Clear writing, finished in one day.
The first time I read it, was in the middle of a personal crisis, however the book's helpful instructions and various motivational 'calls to action' techniques offers the readers varied ways to take you out of victimhood as well as a path to healing. The author herself experienced a personal and professional life crisis and could testify the effectiveness of the various methods.
I was glad I read the book a second time in that I
Crystal
Feb 06, 2014 Crystal rated it really liked it
I am a HUGE reader and typically have anywhere from 2-5 books on my nightstand at a time.

Each time I read a book that I believe has a great message to share or I just really enjoyed it, I am going to share it here on “Book Joy” and write a few favorite quotes or things I liked from the book.

I recently read this book, Bounce Back, I really enjoyed it because it was a short book that had a lot of great points in it.

To read my complete review you can view it on my website:

Laurie Garcia
Dec 21, 2011 Laurie Garcia rated it liked it
This is a really great, fun and thought provoking book offering tips, advice and antidotes for those going through loss, disappointment, and hardship. She uses her own experiences to relate to readers and utilizes information from psychologists, self help gurus, and world religions to emphasize her points. The book is full of color, illustrations, and funny stories making it a very fun and easy read. I found myself highlighting away and marking several pages that really spoke it me. I highly rec ...more
Luci
Jan 06, 2013 Luci rated it liked it
Pretty good self-help book subtitled "How to thrive in the face of adversity, setbacks, and losses."

The author cites lots of credible sources in a friendly, non-academic way, and turns phrases memorably. I liked "Feeling means you're dealing means you're healing," and "If you ask depressing questions, you will 100% get depressing answers."

That said, there wasn't a lot of new information to me, so this is a book best for people seeking support who want newsbite-sized suggestions, who haven't alre
Josie Derhammer
Nov 10, 2012 Josie Derhammer rated it it was amazing
I originally bought this book over a year ago because I loved the title and texture of the cover, yes, I really do buy books just for that reason sometimes. After recently moving from Wisconsin to Florida I found myself in a mini funk and feeling kind of lost, so I picked up the book; it made me immediately smile and reconsider a lot of my feeling and reactions to things since I moved. The book is short and set up in a list format that makes it feel like you are barely reading, but it certainly ...more
Janice
This is not your typical self-help book. It is full of tips, exercises, and advise, but written in language that is neither too academic or too judgmental. Written after this author endured a violent attack, this book has real life remedies for anyone who is struggling with depression, or has undergone a trauma in their own life. I borrowed this from the library, but think I will have to purchase it--it is something to go back to, time after time.
Melissa
May 21, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
And this is why I don't read self-help books.

So, full of cliche advice. I did like the fact that it pulled from a lot of different sources....However, as a result of doing so a lot of it didn't come off as original.

Here are 75 one line tips and some stuff from other folks to flesh it out. Tada.....book.

ali
Jun 03, 2014 ali rated it it was ok
While this is a cute little book, it fails to deliver with the exception of three or four nuggets. It tends to be overly simplistic. I'm a therapist and read this to see if it would be appropriate to refer to clients and wouldn't recommend especially to those who have experienced complex trauma(s) or deep depression. It seems to be better suited for the "worried well".
Kim
Sep 10, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
I really liked the advice given in this book for fighting negativity and getting over adversity, great or small. Lots of bite-sized concepts that you can work on one day at a time, lots of humor, and a pretty format help the reader feel less like this is a self-help book and more like it's a devotional aimed at feeling better. Just a few minutes a day can make a big difference.
Janet
Nov 24, 2009 Janet rated it really liked it
This book, with it's red rubber (bouncable)cover, is already a lifesaver and I just started reading it this morning. The author is kind of like Viktor Frankl with a smile, offering mood-lifting exercises designed to increase self-awareness and enhance resilience. Whew! Just what I needed--a` sobering, lighthearted push to Move Me Forward. ...more
Kirsten
Dec 29, 2009 Kirsten rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to have around. If you try to do one of the tips daily, or work on some of them every couple of days, it really does help you to enhance your life's happiness. I think that it also helps you to be more aware of others and give them the benefit of the doubt. Most of the time we have no idea that a close friend or relative is struggleing. Love it!
Kate Schultz
Aug 23, 2012 Kate Schultz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs a little pick-me up
A fun book about sadness. Simple to read, fun graphics that take the reader step-by-step through exercises that can help anyone bounce back from any set-back. The book isn't full of platitudes and "that doesn't apply to me" or "that's not realistic" type idea. It's easy to pick up and read a little bit, or just open to a random page for a little pick-me-up.
Kathryn
My psychologist friend gave this to me. As far as self-help books go-and I don't have much experience with them-it's pretty insightful and offers some good suggestions for getting through the rough patches in life.
Atena Oyadi
So far, this is better than I expected. I think the author's greatest strength is keeping things pretty short and simple. But there is quite a bit of very smart, practical advice that you can take at face value and make good use of. Thanks Anita!
Stephanie Smith
Aug 26, 2011 Stephanie Smith rated it it was amazing
Karen Salmansohn helped me bounce back from a very difficult time in my life. She offers great tips (in a perfectly appropriate humorous way) on how to heal yourself when it feels as though the world is against you.
Erin
Jul 07, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
I love this book!!! It's filled with many helpful tips and Karen Salmansohn's writing style is fun & quirky. Everyone should have a copy of this book handy to refer to when life gets challenging or difficult.
Oridisi
Nov 14, 2014 Oridisi rated it it was amazing
This book was great it was just what I needed to help me thru the rough times I've been going thru, I learned how to be patient, how to not take things for granted and to move forward and not live in the past, great book.
Xanadelpozzo
Jun 09, 2010 Xanadelpozzo rated it really liked it
The first time I read it, it made me smile a bit everyday. After realizing I had to deal with pain, I'm not liking it anymore. It's on the back of the shelf for now... I read it all... I just can't follow it right now
Robin
Jan 23, 2013 Robin rated it it was amazing
This book is a staple in my bookshelf. The principles in this book have helped me through some of the toughest times of my life. I have recommended it to several people and purchased countless copies for friends through the years. Read it read it read it!!!
  • Creating Your Best Life: The Ultimate Life List Guide
  • Tiny Buddha: Simple Wisdom for Life's Hard Questions
  • Against All Odds: My Life of Hardship, Fast Breaks, and Second Chances
  • Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways to Regain Peace and Nourish Your Soul
  • What It Takes to Pull Me Through: Why Teenagers Get in Trouble and How Four of Them Got Out
  • The Hungry Spirit
  • Happy at Last: The Thinking Person's Guide to Finding Joy
  • How to Be Happy (Or at Least Less Sad): A Creative Workbook
  • Reinvention: How to Make the Rest of Your Life the Best of Your Life
  • Yarn Bombing: The Art of Crochet and Knit Graffiti
  • Overcoming Borderline Personality Disorder: A Family Guide for Healing and Change
  • The EFT Manual
  • Thoughts & Feelings

“View your life with KINDSIGHT. Stop beating yourself up about things from your past. Instead of slapping your forehead and asking, “What was I thinking,” breathe and ask yourself the kinder question, “What was I learning?” 43 likes
“The hardest thing about "everything happens for a reason" is waiting for that reason to show up.” 13 likes