Start by marking “Mountain Pose” as Want to Read:
Mountain Pose

Mountain Pose

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A story about family and forgiveness

Ellie Dunklee lost her mother when she was five, and hasn't seen her estranged grandmother since the funeral. Now the grandmother, Aurelia, dies, and Ellie is surprised to learn that she has inherited her home and most of her possessions, including a host of family diaries which Aurelia, in her will, requests that Ellie read. All that Au
Published April 26th 2001 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Mountain Pose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mountain Pose

Laura Verret
Leese may be comfortable flopping into all of these strange yoga positions, but Ellie’s a little out of her element. Still, when her dad calls her out of class, Ellie’s a bit upset. She had planned to spend the rest of the day at Leese’s house. This better be something big….

It sorta is. If anybody else’s grandmother had died it would be really sad and a big deal and something to cry about. But nobody’s ever loved or even liked Aurelia, and Ellie barely knew her – just enough to be scared of her.
Portia P.
Fantastic coming of age story narrated by main character, Ellie Dunklee. Mountain Pose details the struggles of a modern family with many life changing circumstances fast approaching on the heels of the death of Ellie's maternal grand-mother, Aurelia.

At first the loss is merely an inconvenience lacking the typical emotions associated with a family member's death. This is due to the estrangement endured over the years not only between Aurelia and her grand-daughter (whom she only met once at the
A girl named Ellie Dunklee lost her mother. So she lives with her father who has no sympathy at all. You can say he doesn't really watch over Ellie. She has to learn things on her own and she goes on a journey to find out who her mother was. She meets with aunts and uncles to see if they cab help. Ellie has it hard because she is alone in the world and has no one to lean on for help. I liked this book because it talks about how a young girl's mind expands while she goes on a journey trying to fi ...more
Twelve-year-old Ellie is an heiress. Her hard-hearted, cruel grandmother has left an old Vermont farm in trust and a set of diaries for Ellie. This grandmother almost ruined Ellie’s mother’s life. Ellie’s father wants nothing to do with the farm but Ellie is interested in the diaries. She hopes to learn more about her mother who died when Ellie was only five. Some of the diaries are in code or shorthand.

Ellie is exploring the farm, reading the diaries and is beginning to piece together the horr
May 30, 2009 Ms. added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls who like adventure,mystery, and love
Recommended to Ms. by: my sister
Shelves: anna-c
this book is a story about a girl named Ellie and her mom has died and her grandma Aurelia who never saw them and was extremely mean. Aurelia dies and in her will she gives Ellie the hart farm which has bean past down from generation to generation. Aurelia also requested that Ellie reads a suitcase of journals. Ellie learns a family dark secret from the journals and learns to forgive Aurelia for not being a grandma.
Amanda Hendsbee
I really wanted to love this book because it had so much potential. There were really interesting, richly developed characters, and so many possible plot twists... and none of them ever happened. There are so many loose ends and so many plotlines that just fizzle and die. I was pretty disappointed at the ending, or lack thereof. But until the last chapter or two, I enjoyed this pretty well.
Back when our book club began we had a few school teachers in there and some of them would pick their favorite young adult books that they liked to recommend to their students. This was one such book. Since I can't remember that much of it I will only give it two stars.
Sweet without being saccharine. Good way to deal with the concept of family secrets without being too dark for young readers.
This book was so touching....also because i read it at a crucial point in my life i think.
A really nice story about family and friends. I really liked it!
Jan 17, 2008 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chicks
great book that is fun to read and makes u want to keep reading
Yuliya Lindt
Yuliya Lindt marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Bernadette marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Santusa is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2015
TheLibraryOfSarah is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Brian marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Tori added it
Feb 22, 2015
Andra marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Tim marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Bargle marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015