Start by marking “The Journey of the One and Only Declaration of Independence” as Want to Read:
The Journey of the One and Only Declaration of Independence

The Journey of the One and Only Declaration of Independence

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Everyone would agree the one and only Declaration of Independence deservesthe best. After all, it's at the heart of our country. But since it was signed in 1776, the Declaration has had as many ups and downs as the United States itself. It has been rolled up, copied, hidden away and traveled by horseback, sailing vessel, mail truck, railroad car and military tank. After be ...more
Published May 19th 2005 by Philomel Books

Be the first to ask a question about The Journey of the One and Only Declaration of Independence

Anna Dipprey
The Journey of the One and Only Declaration of Independence was a charming book about Americas past. This book had cute illustrations and lots of information. One thing I particularly appreciated was the date at the top of each page. This would allow students to understand the time things are happening in our past.
This book would be a Great intro to American History. I think it would be best read aloud to students as a prelude to a unit. This book is most likely suited for first to third grade,
Amanda
I absolutely loved this book! I love history and reading about our countries history. One thing I really liked about this book was the organization. Each paragraph started out with the date in bold so the reader is taking through the story's in sequential order. This would be a great information text for the students and a great guide to how they could organize their stories or research.
Angie
Fantastic!!! Jeffrey and I loved reading this book. He was not only excited to find the bald eagle/declaration on every page, but also found he knew a lot of the people and places mentioned. Just enough information on each page not to overwhlem a second grader, but enough to keep it interesting we both enjoyed the read and the wonderful illustrations.

I was surprisingly moved by the time I came to the end of the book. I love the Declaration, but to be moved to tears by a children's historical pi
Pauline
This book would have scored much higher for me, personally, if there was a more diverse representation of the American citizens throughout the book. I suppose I was expecting a different tale since there was a young man of color on the front of the book...then, you don't see a woman or a person of color until almost the very end of the book.
I realize that in actuality it was the 'white men' who were getting things done, but women and minorities were there too. See "Independent Dames" by Laurie H
Alison Durbin
I loved this book and all of the information it presented in a kid friendly way. I read about information I had already learned, as well as information I had not even heard of. I think that kids would really enjoy this book, because the text is comprehensible for young readers and is somewhat interactive. I can definitely see myself using this book in a history unit.
Andrea Campbell
Although I felt this to be a little wordy at times, it would be a great informational piece to learn about the foundation of the United States.
Jun 18, 2014 Laura added it
Delightful story of one of our nations important documents. Love this book.
Kelly
This is a great book to read around the 4th of July.
Hollee Young
I liked this book! I thought it was too long for a quick read aloud for students. However, I would like to have it in my classroom. It has good information in the text.
Carrie Carlson
Great read aloud for U.S. Government unit of study.
Shelli
Wow! The amount of times that the Declaration of Independence has been moved and the ways it has been cared for over the years is nothing short of shocking. This historical document was intended to endure - that is for sure. This book was very interesting but a bit of a longer read for most single "story-times," that grade school teachers or librarians can have. Two story-times would be just about perfect though and worth the read.
Datoria
(I) The is a informative picture book. I would use it for 1st-5th. I think that this book is just right for that age group. This book tells the importance of and the process of the declaration of independence. This book would be great to integrate social studies with writing. I think that the students could create the own declaration of independence based on the original.
Jessica Benson
Kristen
An interesting (surface) overview of American history (from 1776 to the present) tied together by the travels of the "one and only" Declaration of Independence as it is moved around the country for safe keeping. The kids loved shouting "wrong!" and "we won!" as it was repeated throughout the story. Interesting and age appropriate for my kids. 5 stars.
Amy
This is one of our favorite Revolutionary books. Such an interesting angle - following the document around. It also goes beyond the revolution, to the war of 1812 and to present time. My daughter knew a lot (A LOT) about the revolutionary characters before reading this and was REALLY into it. So that might have colored our view...
What's not to like about a book that at one point pits Mr. Librarian versus Mr. Archivist in a high stakes yet eminently polite battle over a sacred bit of parchment?
Also, the kids get to find both the Declaration and an omnipresent Bald Eagle on each page.

A good non-fiction read for us all.
Christie
A good read with endearing illustrations which takes you through the history of the Declaration of Independence, from its creation to its home today in the National Archives Building. Great for use with 4th grade American Revolution and Declaration of Independence units.
Audrey Harlan
This book is great to use when teaching the Declaration of Independence. The book gives the reader a brief history of the historical document. This book has great illustrations. It discusses the importance of the document and what it means to our country.
Brittney
This book is a very informative book. I would love to use this book in a classroom for a project. It takes the reader on the journey throughout the years up to the day the Declaration of Independence was born.
Rebecca Snodgrass
This book is very interesting and teaches us new things. Who knew the Declaration has been to so many places?!? Making a time line for this would be the most ideal thing to do!!
Kelly
Jul 01, 2007 Kelly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Social Studies Teachers
Shelves: picturebooks
Tells the journey of the Declaration of Independence throughout history. Chosen as a 2006 Notable Social Studies Trade Book for Young People by NCSS and CBC.
Julie
My son most enjoyed the illustration of the eagle guarding Fort Knox.
Sheila
Good info in this book, but a bit on the dry, boring side.
Shilo
Shilo marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
So You Want to Be President? The Ghost, the White House and Me So You Want To Be An Inventor? Stand Tall, Abe Lincoln The Duel: The Parallel Lives of Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr