Start by marking “The Magic of Krynn (DragonLance: Tales I, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Magic of Krynn (DragonLance: Tales I, #1)

The Magic of Krynn (Dragonlance: Tales I #1)

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  6,450 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Is Raistlin truly dead?

The answer lies in the new Dragonlance novella by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, which gazes into the future of Caramon and his mage-son, and into the dark nether-past of Raistlin.

Untold tales of Krynn.

Tales of sea monsters, dark elves, ice bears, hideous hydra-headed serpents, and loathsome draconian troops.

Further adventures of the kender Tas; th
Published May 15th 2000 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Magic of Krynn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic of Krynn

East Bay J
Jan 05, 2016 East Bay J rated it liked it
"Is Rasitlin truly dead?"

If you have to ask, probably not...

I gotta' say, it has been a looooooooong time since I read me some Dragonlance. I loved the original trilogy as a kid because I was a full on, geeked out, D&D playin' lunatic! Then I discovered girls. And rock 'n' roll. Actually, there were several years of overlap. Thus my love for heavy metal. And swords. So it goes.

It was fun going back to Krynn and riding along with the characters from the Dragonlance books on other stories taki
Winston Crutchfield
Jun 15, 2016 Winston Crutchfield rated it it was amazing
The stories range from common adventures to really excellent storytelling. It's always a treat to go back to Krynn.
Robert
Dec 27, 2015 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Anthologies, always rough for me. This may be the first anthology I ever read (and maybe formed my initial opinions about the format). I really only wanted to read the stories by author's I recognized. When I first read this anthology, I only wanted to read the stories about characters I recognized. I remember feeling ho-hum about the stories because even though the characters were familiar, different authors wrote them in slightly different ways - they felt a little off to my 12 year-old mind. ...more
Jasmyn
Apr 16, 2010 Jasmyn rated it really liked it
The Magic of Krynn is the first in a series of books with short stories about the lives of the characters in the previous two trilogies of DragonLance. Some of the stories are about the main characters (the Majere twins) and some give background to some of the more popular side characters that we grew to love as we read the earlier books. This is a set of short stories that can be read as a stand alone, but having read the previous books does enhance all the tales. The short novella at the end w ...more
Samuel
Jun 23, 2012 Samuel rated it liked it
The poetic story at the beginning was very smooth, but I could not rellunderstand it. The second tale, "Th Blood Sea Monster", was rather enjoyable, and you may or may notlike the ending. The other stories, including the novella at the end, were okay, but the book was not that memorable, except for the description of a character who "looked to juggle cows for a living." Speaking of which, I am an amateur juggler, not only of objects such as juggling balls, rings and clubs, but I mentally juggle ...more
Rick
May 24, 2016 Rick rated it it was amazing
This is a good follow-up to the Twins Trilogy. It was well written and consisted of a series of short stories including answering the question about Raistlin. We find out if he was still alive or if he was indeed dead. This is a must read for those of us who don't want to let Krynn go quite yet.
Elrond24
3,5 en realidad. Sin embargo, le pongo las tres estrellas porque a veces se me hacía muy pesado. El mundo de Dragonlance me sigue fascinando, pero considero que en esta novela había cuentos que eran prescindibles ya que no hace referencia a ninguno de los personajes principales de la saga.
Brian
Oct 29, 2014 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
**Duplicate comment for Dragonlance Series 1-9**

Ah Raistlin Majere, how could you not like a guy with his own private library of leather-bound books?. . .oh yeah, there was that ruthless pursuit of power thing. Loved this series when I was a kid! My presiding memory of these was one of being encapsulated completely by them and the blanket I wrapped myself in, while on the couch, feigning fever, so I could skip school and read on bitter winter days.
J.C. Cauthon
Feb 10, 2016 J.C. Cauthon rated it liked it
Anthologies have never really been my cup of tea, but I do read them on occasion simply because I can fit a full story in within the few minutes that I can get to read. This was one of the first short story anthologies that I ever read, and I remember, even back then, not being very impressed with it.

Yes, many of my favorite characters returned to star in these short stories, but because the stories were not written by the authors who originally created the characters, the characters themselves
Kathryn
May 27, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
This book was my first exposure to the Dragonlance series. (Two of my best friends thought they were getting me the first two books in the series, but they missed the fact that they were getting me book 1 of Tales and book 2 of Legends). since just about every main character in "Chronicles" has a story here, I think it's the best introduction I could have gotten. I've read the stories so many times I think I could recite them from memory, so it's hard to choose the "best" story. For my favorite ...more
Brandi
Feb 21, 2016 Brandi rated it liked it
Some of the short stories were great but others were not that great.
Chris
Mar 24, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
fun!
Don
Apr 10, 2012 Don rated it it was amazing
Some excellent short stories in this book. Love and Ale especially I enjoyed. It was nice to read some stories that were related to the epic saga, but didn't need to devote as much time. All in all it was fun and I really liked it. Highly recommend if you've read the first six dragonlance books. Just be sure to read it BEFORE any of the later ones like Dragons of Summer Flame. Good story about Palin Majere was the last story in the book.
Jeff
Jan 26, 2010 Jeff rated it liked it
I read this book when it first came out. I was in junior high and had a friend who was reading the Dragonlance books. It was my introduction to the series and it really got me into fantasy. I was disappointed to learn that I picked up short stories at first, but after the first story I was hooked. The Dragonlance books and Gary Gygax's Gord the Rogue books were my favorite books for the next couple of years.
Katy
Mar 27, 2016 Katy rated it liked it
entertaining, although the poem didn't do much for me.
David
This is a really good collection of short stories set in the Dragonlance setting. Most of the short stories provide additional background or stories to the main characters of the Chronicles. They range from being ok to being pretty good short reads. The last multi-chapter story from Weis and Hickman was nothing short of a wonderful aftermath story.
Helen
Aug 09, 2012 Helen rated it really liked it
This was a loan from a friend and my first foray into the Dragonlance works, about which I knew absolutely nothing. I found many of the stories quite well-written, with the exemption of The Blood Sea Monster. Does that tie into the main series or is itjust arandom and rather
Noah
Jun 04, 2016 Noah rated it liked it
Love and Ale remains one of my favorite short stories to this day. May we all learn a lesson from the classy way that Otik handles the situation.
Lana
Feb 02, 2016 Lana rated it really liked it
was surprised on starting the Tales trilogy to see that these are in the form of short stories and a bit disappointed but on the whole some of the stories where fun to read but others I felt I had read before in some of the other trilogies!!
Ms. Nikki
Legacy was the best story with Caramon and his son who has inherited magical abilities that may or may not be used for good. Over all the selections were interesting to say the least. This is my first sojourn in the Dragonlance world.
Tim
All in all reasonable. Nothing outstanding, but the better tales are in the second half. Still, nothing super, suits as a book to be read in-between. Mainly the tales with Tas, Tanis, Caramon, ... were the more interesting ones.
Alexander Faria
Apr 12, 2014 Alexander Faria rated it liked it
Las historias no son tan interesantes. Para mi gusto solo se salva "la proxima generacion " y "el legado". Las demas me parecieron aburridas. La trilogia anterior fue mucho mejor. Veamos el segundo libro a ver que tal.
Sara
May 23, 2008 Sara rated it it was ok
Shelves: dragonlance
I was not impressed by this series of short stories from the world of Dragonlance, although their might be one redeeming tale the rest make it not worth the value to buy. If you want to read them try your local library.
Honeybadger
Oct 20, 2014 Honeybadger rated it really liked it
Draagonlance was my first fantasy series in the typical Tolkien style, so I devoured all the core books and loved the short stories that fleshed out the characters, places & races of Krynn.
Angela
Sep 04, 2010 Angela rated it liked it
A collection of short stories set in the Dragonlance world. I read this a long time ago and remember enjoying several of the stories (there are a few from Weis & Hickman)
Edward
Oct 04, 2009 Edward rated it really liked it
Mixed bag, but worth it for The Legacy if nothing else (definitely read the Chronicles and the Twins trilogies first).
Tara Calaby
I was never a reader of epic fantasy... and then I discovered the Dragonlance books and never looked back.
Philana Walker
Mar 05, 2009 Philana Walker rated it really liked it
Shelves: adolescent-bliss
Short stories to feed your need for dragonlance. Little bits to give meaning and to explain future events.
2bnallegory
Dec 12, 2007 2bnallegory rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Lesser stories if you wanted to continue on but not of the same caliber as the original.
Mertan
Jan 17, 2013 Mertan rated it liked it
Meh, some fun stories, but you really have to know about the world to really enjoy them.
Dragonlance series 12 38 Apr 22, 2013 04:17AM
  • Flint the King (Dragonlance: Preludes, #5; Preludes II, #2)
  • Weasel's Luck (Dragonlance: Heroes, #3)
  • Stormblade (Dragonlance: Heroes, #2)
  • Hammer and Axe (Dragonlance: Dwarven Nations, #2)
  • Emperor of Ansalon (Dragonlance: Villains, #3)
  • Dark Heart (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #3)
  • The Qualinesti (Dragonlance: Elven Nations, #3)
  • Lord Toede (Dragonlance: Villains, #5)
  • Knights of the Rose (Dragonlance: The Warriors, #5)
  • The Day of the Tempest (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #2)
  • Hederick the Theocrat (Dragonlance: Villains, #4)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...

Dragonlance: Tales I (3 books)
  • Kender, Gully Dwarves, and Gnomes (Dragonlance: Tales I, #2)
  • Love and War (Dragonlance: Tales I, #3)