Start by marking “Second Stage Lensman (Classic Lensman)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Second Stage Lensman

E.E. "Doc" Smith

Second Stage Lensman (Lensman #5)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,218 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Galactic Undercover Agent

Published May 15th 1997 by Ripping Publishing (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Second Stage Lensman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Stage Lensman

Wanda
"Kim Kinnison, Number One man of his time, had faced challenges before - but rarely one as daunting as this. To him fell the perilous task of infiltrating the inner circle of Boskone, stronghold of galactic civilization's most deadly foe. Kinnison had to become a local Boskonian in every gesture, deed - and thought. He had to work his way up through the ranks of an alien enemy organization, right into the highest echelons of power. Then it would be he who issued the orders - orders that would de ...more
Gar
May 12, 2010 Gar rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a slog. Like most of the Lensman stuff, it's hard to rate as a whole, since each book was originally serial, and some bits are a lot less sloggy than others.

Refresher on the landfill metaphor: being 1940s sci-fi pulp serial, reading it is an archaeological dig into a landfill. There are layers of quaintness, which any science fiction turns into with time enough. There are layers of rollicking awesome, where action moves along at a good clip. And then there are layers of painful awkwardn
Thomas
Sep 01, 2010 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of aventure tales, star wars and green lantern fans
Though not the finest of the Lensman novels, it's close. And the first one I ever read. While outrageous and big in every sense, it still manages to channel a sense of amazement on its every purple exposition. Bold adventure! Ray Guns! Space axes! Horrifically alien sadists! A planet of naked ladies! And all wrapped up in the charming argot of long long ago. All Space Opera since owes a considerable debt to these bigger-than-life adventures. Great, garish fun!
William Rood
Oct 05, 2015 William Rood rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space-opera
This one lacked the page turning cadence of the first four, as the repetitive nature of the plot, simply expanding upon the previously established story elements. By the end, Civilization controls both galaxies, the evil threat has been extinguished, and the Red and Grey lensmen settle down for a new life. All the while, the Arisians manipulating the chess pieces of the Civilization to achieve the ultimate goal.

There are very cool elements, the ever present increasing technology (they are now us
Michael
Aug 18, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
The Lensman series simply keeps getting better with each volume. This one is just relentless.
Roddy Williams
The Fza
This is it, the penultimate book in the Lensman series, a series almost as famous for being the first Epic Space Oprea as it is for how marvelously exciting and inventive it was.

First published in the pages of Astounding magazine back in 1941, this book mainly focuses upon the exploits of the "Second Stage" Lensmen: those who have gone through the advanced Arisian training in Galactic Patrol. These four superior Lensmen - Kinnison, Worsel, Tregonsee, and Nadreck - are armed with mental powers fa
Jesse
Mar 06, 2016 Jesse rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was terribly obvious that this was from the paid-by-the-word era of writing. Every sentence was plumped up with extraneous phrases. Frequently, entire sentences, paragraphs, and even pages could have -- should have! -- been removed, with no detriment to the story. The whole thing could have been 40% shorter and still told the same tale. On top of that, it wasn't a great tale. Weakest of the series so far.
Daniel Haire
Nov 09, 2014 Daniel Haire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me five years and searching over 100 used book stores to find this story. It was the endpoint of E.E. "Doc" Smith's Sci-Fi Epic and it did not disappoint in its plot lines, new characters mixing with old characters, and action. If you love Space Opera, then this is a book and a series to try.
Karl Kindt
Aug 15, 2015 Karl Kindt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This is the first of the series that lags a bit. The plot repeats much of what has been done in previous books. There are a few stunning twists and surprises, a few chapters I had no idea what was going to happen, but not as reliably as previous volumes. Still fun, rip roaring, bare knuckled space opera!
Erik Wennstrom
May 06, 2015 Erik Wennstrom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
E.E. "Doc" Smith probably thought he was a feminist, and I guess for the late 1940's and early 1950's, the Lensmen series isn't too bad, and I can kind of look past it in most of the series. But in this one, which features the first (and only) female lensman, his whole "different but equal" shtick kind of gets a bit more in your face. There's also a lot less other interesting stuff going on to balance it out.
Mark Austin
- Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
- Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
- Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
- Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
- Amazing.
Jim Riggs
Jun 04, 2015 Jim Riggs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A few Lensman reach what is called the second stage and advance their power and the fight against the space pirates, learning there is more to them than they thought.
Dan Cohen
Sep 14, 2014 Dan Cohen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi

Read 35+ years ago - too long ago to recall much about the quality, but I enjoyed the series as an adolescent.
Mark Loughe
Aug 26, 2015 Mark Loughe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good science fiction material with the good guys going from planet to planet saving civilisation.
Mark
Jul 15, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i real enjoyed this book
Blair
Aug 23, 2011 Blair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kimball Kinnison has finally met his match: a fiery red-headed nurse! But before they can get married, Kinnison is called away on a mission: to begin the invasion of the home galaxy of the Boskonians! Teaming up with the three other Second-Stage lensmen: Worsel, Nadreck and Tregonsee, they must tackle two planets defended to the hilt.
Zac Wood
Apr 28, 2011 Zac Wood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One big question here (SPOILER ALERT!)...
Why did Mac get to be a Lensman? Is it because the Samms and Kinnisons are finally coming together? Feels like a... dunno, maybe a reaction to increased woman's rights movement?

Besides that, I loved the book, of course. The basic plot always works!
Lynne
Jan 20, 2015 Lynne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fifth in the series.
Ed
Feb 24, 2012 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually about the whole Lensman series. I found the books to be greatly engaging. I read them first as a child, then read them again in my 30's, then my 40's. Sure some (a lot) of the science is out to lunch now, but it is still a good action read.
Timothy Boyd
Mar 10, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Lensman saga has always been the "Lord Of The Rings" of space to me. Grand sweeping space opera story. Excellent plot and characters. Very good read. My highest recommendation
Jim
Jun 23, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This 5th book in the series continues the saga. It is still simple fun...written in the 1930s and well before I was born. Easy reading, simple plot, space opera all the way.
Rob
Jan 23, 2008 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book developed a few more storylines but now that the patrol controls both galaxies the only thing left is to confront the big baddies. Hmmm I guess that must come next.
Brock
Dec 30, 2013 Brock rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The last book of the year 2013. An overly sexist contradictory work yet full of grand science fiction battles of truly huge scope. A product of its time before its time.
Kiersten
Mar 10, 2008 Kiersten rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Possibly I didn't like this because it was the fifth in a series, and I hadn't read the first four. Or possibly it was just boring. Hmm. I shall have to ponder that.
Philip Chaston
Apr 28, 2013 Philip Chaston rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Superscience and good vs. evil, though the 'good' does seem to (reluctantly) engage in torture, murder, assassination etc. all in the name of peace and democracy
Ctowler
Oct 03, 2013 Ctowler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of the 'Lensman' series. Classic pulp science fiction. Space opera on a scale that makes Star Wars look like a fight between a couple of local gangs.
Peter
This is one of the classic Space Opera series written by the doyen of space opera writes - style and content a bit dated now but still an exciting read
Mark Kinney
May 02, 2008 Mark Kinney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although close to annoying with a few examples of deus ex machina, it's still an effective, enjoyable installment of the Lensman series.
Michael
Sep 04, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Don't trust my rating for this book. See this
review for why.
  • The Dragon Lensman (Second Stage Lensman Trilogy, #1)
  • The Dark Light Years
  • Roderick
  • Search the Sky
  • Wolfling
  • Red Planet
  • The Daleth Effect
  • Brain Wave
  • The Anome (Durdane, #1)
  • Special Deliverance
  • Needle (Needle, #1)
  • The Legion of Space
  • The Patchwork Girl (Known Space)
  • Ballroom of the Skies
  • Kalin (Dumarest of Terra #4)
  • The Fabulous Riverboat (Riverworld, #2)
  • Brother Assassin (Berserker, #2)
  • Major Operation (Sector General, #3)
Edward Elmer Smith (also E. E. Smith, E. E. Smith, Ph.D., E. E. "Doc" Smith, Doc Smith, "Skylark" Smith, or—to his family—Ted), was an American food engineer (specializing in doughnut and pastry mixes) and an early science fiction author, best known for the Lensman and Skylark series. He is sometimes called the father of space opera.
More about E.E. "Doc" Smith...

Lensman (7 books)
  • Triplanetary (Lensman, #1)
  • First Lensman (Lensman, #2)
  • Galactic Patrol (Lensman, #3)
  • Gray Lensman (Lensman, #4)
  • Children of the Lens (Lensman, #6)
  • Masters of the Vortex (Lensman, #7)