Start by marking “The Dune Collection” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Dune Collection

Frank Herbert

The Dune Collection (Dune Chronicles #1-3)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  43,270 ratings  ·  102 reviews
Herbert's evocative, epic tales are set on the desert planet Arrakis, the focus for a complex political and military struggle with galaxy-wide repercussions. Arrakis is the source of spice, a mind enhancing drug which makes interstellar travel possible; it is the most valuable substance in the galaxy. When Duke Atreides and his family take up court there, they fall into a ...more
Published November 15th 1988 by Ace Books (first published October 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Dune Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dune Collection

Sebastian
To the uninitiated the Dune universe and its characters, plots and intrigues might seem inaccessible. And perhaps that is fair comment. The continuously shifting allegiances, uncovering of secrets and see-sawing fulcrum of power can be intimidating. Accompanied by Herbert's rather staid prose, Dune is not recommended as a primer for the novice or the curious, however, those willing to persist will be rewarded many-fold. That is not to say that Dune is difficult to read - it isn't. Dune is the re ...more
Jan-Maat
Frank Herbert's Dune was in part inspired by his experience working in a research centre in California studying desertification. The realisation of the interrelationship of environment, people and culture coming out of that experience is a key feature of the series. At the centre of the first novel is a desert planet, Arrakis, and the secret desire of its inhabitants to transform it's ecology. It is a great science-fiction novel about systems of power and the role of ecology, although admittedly ...more
Troy
OK - let's cut through the BS.

This is - quite simply - the most magnificent Sci-Fi epic ever written.

The scope of Asimov's Foundation, the attention to detail and context of Tolkien's LotR, coupled with an unmatched visionary socio-ecological messianic narrative that is scarily relevant today.

Anyone who likes Sci-Fi and who hasn't read this needs to get a copy. And read it. Now.
Jenny Stanfield
I don't know why I was so determined to finish this trilogy - but I just had to know how it was going to end. If the trilogy was like the last 50 pages of the last book, fast-paced, full of action and startling twists and turns, I would have loved it. Sadly, most of the 3 books are focused on political debate, prophecies of the future, and spice-beer, spice-coffee, spice-clothes, spice everything.

The books felt a lot like Game of Thrones to me, but more inter-galactic and scheming rather than th
Freya Roberts
The 'Lord Of The Rings' of science fiction, I started reading my aunt's battered old copies while stuck in America in the spring and found it absolutely wonderful. Intensely gripping, I enjoyed it so much I went out and bought my own copy of the trilogy. Incredibly dense and rich with detail, these books are totally unputdownable, and the intrigue will keep you turning pages for hours. Loved them so much I named one of my cuddly toys Gurney Halleck :)
Mike
The Dune series by Frank, not the son, form one of the pillars of my dreams over the decades since I read the first book. Somehow the imagery plays out in my mind far better than the attempts made by Hollywood.
Unfortunately, I donated my original set, with the original covers, when I moved a few years ago - the new books don't smell the same and don't have the familiar paper feel I grew accustomed to while reading them during finals week year after year.
The blend of science-aversion, exploitatio
Tatiana
This remains, for the time being, my favourite series. The story is intricate and well developed and perfectly balanced so that you do not lose sight of the other points of view in the book while focusing on a specific character's story. I found this book to be the well of clear water that I needed so badly in a rather dry existence. I remember having read the trilogy as well as the other books in under 2 weeks time, therefore this represents a personal epiphany and these books shall forever be ...more
Shimon de Valencia
The mythos the late Mr Herbert Has bequeathed to us either enraptures or bores the reader. I am of the former, this is mature, intellectual, dramatic science fiction that still resonates as a warning about power and its dangers. I seem to read rhis every few years and never tire, nor fail to gain a new insight. Simply put, glorious.
James
Dune is a masterful piece of writing, with a beautifully realised world - the politics, Arrakis itself, the people - all well thought out and plausible. I think what Herbert does well, is although the world and the people are alien, the reader can relate to them. I find too many sci-fi authors are so interested in creating exotic worlds and peoples that they forgo characters readers can relate to and as result, the stories miss that emotional hook.

In my opinion, Dune is the strongest of the boo
Donna Riley-lein
Dune is a planet of limits and possibilities. It is a place waiting for the people bred for its promise.

But it goes wrong. Or right. It depends on your perspective. Perspective, like the sands of Dune change with the wind.

Dune is a treatise on power, ecology and hubris. It is one of the books any science fiction fan should read at least once.
Rob
Classic science fiction/fantasy novels. Once started you are soon under Frank Herbert's spell and you are addicted to it's worlds as if you are dependant on melange. Not convinced that the films ever quite lived up to my imagination of Herbert's dramatic story telling. Maybe a 3D version with "smell-O-vision" could come closer......
Nathan Trevivian
This is definitely one of those sets-of-books that they should remake the films for! Frank Herbert injects so much detail into a complex emotional story line you can't help but be sucked in by it all. The ending is sort of sad, but then I haven't read the additional #4 or above yet! I'm a purist...
Stephen Pearl
A brilliant examination of human politicks and potential. Also an exploration of the dichotomy of destiny and free will as Paul struggles to stem the inevitable tide of events that will rip human society apart. One of the best books ever written.

Sharon
These were really fun. As soon as I finished one I grabbed the next. I was sorry to see them end. Unlike most incredibly detailed books it didn't take me long to "get into" the story.
Cyberpope
It has been more than ten years since I read the series, so I just reread it -- a bit slower to begin than I recalled, but definitely worth the [re]read!

The story follows the life of the Duke's son, as he develops from a lad who feels torturted by indoctrination into his mom's weird religion, but who eventually grows into the Promised One of the Arrakis(a nearly utterly arid planet with city block-sized deadly worms under the sand) legends.

Much interplay with an Emporer's ambition to own all of
Jay
The latter novels did not have the clarity of vision and meaning that the first does
Abe
This book inspires some people as real and authentic, some websites have been given to me as references to its vivid contents like:
1- http://www.volokh.com/2007/09/22/radi...
2- http://baheyeldin.com/literature/arab...
hence, I decided to shelve it and categorize it under my book list so that I have a glimpse on the from-reality-into-fiction trajectories and paths some people take!

There is even a movie made on it:
Delia Binder
Another classic of SF - though I will warn you, you might be a bit lost at first with all the interlocking conspiracies of the Imperial Powers, and why everybody seems to have it in for Paul Atredies. Basically, the DUNE Trilogy is a SF version of the Story of Mohammed - simplified a bit and with the serial numbers filed off well enough that nobody's declared a fatwah on Frank Herbert!

Some of the attitudes are seriously dated - like with House Harkonnen's sign of Ultimate Villainy being...they
Наташа
Ну что я могу сказать. Дюна и Мессия Дюны выдержаны в одном духе, в меру мудреные, наполненные событиями, интригами, отношениями и все как положено. Читать их было интересно и затягивающие. Явление гхолы там конечно выглядело дивом-дивным, но в сюжет истории вполне вписалось. Уход Пола в пустыню это вообще именно та концовка, все красиво и со вкусом. Король погиб, да здравствует король! Две первые книги читать нужно и читать стоит вне всякого сомнения!

Но вот дальше тот самый гаденький червячок
Luka Vlacic
It's one of the best books I've read. It's very realistically written and draws great parallels to the modern situation with the Middle East, petrol, islam,... But it can also be read without thinking about analogies, and as a standalone science-fiction story it's very compelling. It's also not too heavy on the science-fiction elements, so it's suitable for non-sci-fi fans as well. I still often read it, even though I've already read it many times. I thoroughly recommend it
Artemisa
Shawn Hart
This is very very good. After the Children of Dune it gets a bit too much like quoting christian gospel for me to take seriously anymore.

Its not that the story is bad its that he repeats himself. He cannot let go of the transformation into Godhood aspect of the character.
Chetan Kalyan
The style of writing is slow, and it takes effort to get through the first book and a half. But once the main characters are set up properly, the story gets interesting. It reads like a nice essay on the mingling of religion and politics in life.
Mandy
Dune. The books were incredible. Especially for the time. I read them 30 years ago (?) and was so fascinated by Herbert's created world. Slightly visionary... Predicting what could become of us (minus the big worm!)
Ru Chung
Amazing exploration of society and the norms that have been established. Heavy read in the lane of Asimov foundation or Butler in the wildseed series.
I'd say one of the greatest books ever written.
Yolandi Allen
I really enjoyed the first novel, but I had to slog through the sequels. Dune had purpose, power and adventure, but Dune Messiah and Children of Dune were boring and left me disappointed in the end.
Marten Hoyle
I don't see this as "Science fiction's supreme masterpiece" but it was still a good book, a very quick read. I enjoyed Pauls' adventure. Wish there were more of the worms in the story.
Edgars Labans
Excellent book with original storyline and environmental set-up. Besides crazy action scenes, philosophical contemplations of the profit Muadib is also enjoyable to read.
Sonstepaul
Forget best Sci-Fi series. Dune stands as a good contender for the the greatest novel ever, and the rest of the series screams that Herbert be proclaimed one of the most brilliant literary talents.
Damon Lewis
I quite Liked this one. The most interesting part of this story is the constant mention of coffee. People in the book drink coffee made from melange because of the lack of water on Arakis; however if you read the book mindfully, you will realize that at every mention on coffee being served in the story, you will have just made yourself a coffee and be in the process of drinking it.
How good is this book? 9 35 Jan 25, 2015 03:21PM
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Four Parts
  • The Hyperion Omnibus: Hyperion / The Fall of Hyperion
  • The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)
  • The Winds of Dune (Heroes of Dune, #2)
  • The Dune Encyclopedia
  • Foundation and Chaos (Second Foundation Trilogy, #2)
  • Methuselah's Children
  • Seven Novels
  • Jezebel's Ladder (Jezebel's Ladder, #1)
  • The City and the Stars
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2A
  • Foundation's Fear (Second Foundation Trilogy, #1)
  • A Snowball in Hell
  • The Ender Quartet Box Set (The Ender Quintet, #1-4)
  • Jade
Frank Herbert was a critically acclaimed and commercially successful American science fiction author.

He is best known for the novel Dune and its five sequels. The Dune saga, set in the distant future and taking place over millennia, dealt with themes such as human survival and evolution, ecology, and the intersection of religion, politics, and power, and is widely considered to be among the classi
More about Frank Herbert...

Dune Chronicles (6 books)
  • Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1)
  • Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)
  • Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3)
  • God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #4)
  • Heretics of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #5)
  • Chapterhouse: Dune (Dune Chronicles, #6)
Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2) Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3) God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #4) Heretics of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #5)