Start by marking “The Dune Collection” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Dune Collection

Frank Herbert

The Dune Collection (Dune #1-3)

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  47,727 Ratings  ·  135 Reviews
Herbert's evocative, epic tales are set on the desert planet Arrakis, the focus for a complex political and military struggle with galaxy-wide repercussions. Arrakis is the source of spice, a mind enhancing drug which makes interstellar travel possible; it is the most valuable substance in the galaxy. When Duke Atreides and his family take up court there, they fall into a ...more
Published November 15th 1988 by Ace Books (first published October 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Dune Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dune Collection

Sebastian
To the uninitiated the Dune universe and its characters, plots and intrigues might seem inaccessible. And perhaps that is fair comment. The continuously shifting allegiances, uncovering of secrets and see-sawing fulcrum of power can be intimidating. Accompanied by Herbert's rather staid prose, Dune is not recommended as a primer for the novice or the curious, however, those willing to persist will be rewarded many-fold. That is not to say that Dune is difficult to read - it isn't. Dune is the re ...more
Apatt
Oct 10, 2015 Apatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-80s-sf
A lot of people only read the first book, including people who seldom read sci-fi and people who only read just this one sci-fi book. The other two books are definitely worthwhile, especially the third volume (I have not read anything subsequent to the third book). If you are interested these are my reviews:

1. Dune
2. Dune Messiah
3. Children of Dune
Troy
Jul 27, 2012 Troy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK - let's cut through the BS.

This is - quite simply - the most magnificent Sci-Fi epic ever written.

The scope of Asimov's Foundation, the attention to detail and context of Tolkien's LotR, coupled with an unmatched visionary socio-ecological messianic narrative that is scarily relevant today.

Anyone who likes Sci-Fi and who hasn't read this needs to get a copy. And read it. Now.
Jan-Maat
Frank Herbert's Dune was in part inspired by his experience working in a research centre in California studying desertification. The realisation of the interrelationship of environment, people and culture coming out of that experience is a key feature of the series. At the centre of the first novel is a desert planet, Arrakis, and the secret desire of its inhabitants to transform it's ecology. It is a great science-fiction novel about systems of power and the role of ecology, although admittedly ...more
Jenny Stanfield
I don't know why I was so determined to finish this trilogy - but I just had to know how it was going to end. If the trilogy was like the last 50 pages of the last book, fast-paced, full of action and startling twists and turns, I would have loved it. Sadly, most of the 3 books are focused on political debate, prophecies of the future, and spice-beer, spice-coffee, spice-clothes, spice everything.

The books felt a lot like Game of Thrones to me, but more inter-galactic and scheming rather than th
Freya Roberts
The 'Lord Of The Rings' of science fiction, I started reading my aunt's battered old copies while stuck in America in the spring and found it absolutely wonderful. Intensely gripping, I enjoyed it so much I went out and bought my own copy of the trilogy. Incredibly dense and rich with detail, these books are totally unputdownable, and the intrigue will keep you turning pages for hours. Loved them so much I named one of my cuddly toys Gurney Halleck :)
Mike
Apr 04, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dune series by Frank, not the son, form one of the pillars of my dreams over the decades since I read the first book. Somehow the imagery plays out in my mind far better than the attempts made by Hollywood.
Unfortunately, I donated my original set, with the original covers, when I moved a few years ago - the new books don't smell the same and don't have the familiar paper feel I grew accustomed to while reading them during finals week year after year.
The blend of science-aversion, exploitatio
Tatiana
This remains, for the time being, my favourite series. The story is intricate and well developed and perfectly balanced so that you do not lose sight of the other points of view in the book while focusing on a specific character's story. I found this book to be the well of clear water that I needed so badly in a rather dry existence. I remember having read the trilogy as well as the other books in under 2 weeks time, therefore this represents a personal epiphany and these books shall forever be ...more
Shimon de Valencia
The mythos the late Mr Herbert Has bequeathed to us either enraptures or bores the reader. I am of the former, this is mature, intellectual, dramatic science fiction that still resonates as a warning about power and its dangers. I seem to read rhis every few years and never tire, nor fail to gain a new insight. Simply put, glorious.
Joshua Tintner
Oct 10, 2015 Joshua Tintner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James
Apr 21, 2013 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, sci-fi
Dune is a masterful piece of writing, with a beautifully realised world - the politics, Arrakis itself, the people - all well thought out and plausible. I think what Herbert does well, is although the world and the people are alien, the reader can relate to them. I find too many sci-fi authors are so interested in creating exotic worlds and peoples that they forgo characters readers can relate to and as result, the stories miss that emotional hook.

In my opinion, Dune is the strongest of the boo
Adon Coya
Aug 30, 2015 Adon Coya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read, not only by scifi fans, but also for its literature, its philosophy, ... - it's an ageless book for everyone.
Nooilforpacifists
First book (loosely based on story of Mohammed) is second best SF ever written. Books two and three, inevitably, fall off.
Derek
Oct 22, 2015 Derek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah, Dune. Dune has given the world so much. Desert planets, giant sandworms, intergalactic drugs, and tons of sci-fi ecology. It also, briefly, vaulted the genre into the literary mainstream, paving the way for Star Wars which paved the way for pretty much everything else.
As a reading experience, Dune is both fun and frustrating in equal measure. There's plenty of times you'll go "Wow, this is amazing!" and then there's equal amounts of time where you'll go "What the frick is going on?" It's als
Ravi Singh
Jul 20, 2015 Ravi Singh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Donna Riley-lein
Dec 07, 2012 Donna Riley-lein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dune is a planet of limits and possibilities. It is a place waiting for the people bred for its promise.

But it goes wrong. Or right. It depends on your perspective. Perspective, like the sands of Dune change with the wind.

Dune is a treatise on power, ecology and hubris. It is one of the books any science fiction fan should read at least once.
Rob
Jul 06, 2010 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic science fiction/fantasy novels. Once started you are soon under Frank Herbert's spell and you are addicted to it's worlds as if you are dependant on melange. Not convinced that the films ever quite lived up to my imagination of Herbert's dramatic story telling. Maybe a 3D version with "smell-O-vision" could come closer......
Nathan Trevivian
Mar 11, 2010 Nathan Trevivian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun-sci-fi
This is definitely one of those sets-of-books that they should remake the films for! Frank Herbert injects so much detail into a complex emotional story line you can't help but be sucked in by it all. The ending is sort of sad, but then I haven't read the additional #4 or above yet! I'm a purist...
Stephen Pearl
Jul 06, 2010 Stephen Pearl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant examination of human politicks and potential. Also an exploration of the dichotomy of destiny and free will as Paul struggles to stem the inevitable tide of events that will rip human society apart. One of the best books ever written.

Ru Chung
Amazing exploration of society and the norms that have been established. Heavy read in the lane of Asimov foundation or Butler in the wildseed series.
I'd say one of the greatest books ever written.
Sharon
Jun 12, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These were really fun. As soon as I finished one I grabbed the next. I was sorry to see them end. Unlike most incredibly detailed books it didn't take me long to "get into" the story.
Cyberpope
Aug 12, 2014 Cyberpope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been more than ten years since I read the series, so I just reread it -- a bit slower to begin than I recalled, but definitely worth the [re]read!

The story follows the life of the Duke's son, as he develops from a lad who feels torturted by indoctrination into his mom's weird religion, but who eventually grows into the Promised One of the Arrakis(a nearly utterly arid planet with city block-sized deadly worms under the sand) legends.

Much interplay with an Emporer's ambition to own all of
S.C. Gregory
Nov 30, 2015 S.C. Gregory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been meaning to read this series for quite some time. I wasn't dissapointed.

I've watched both the film and the T.V series and while the latter followed close to the format of the first book, the trilogy provided a greater insight into the traps laid out within politics.

The story was well detailed and the characters all had their own ambitions and flaws, which made them more human and believable.

There was action, humour and sadness. All well-written and helping to create a well-balanced st
Dann
Apr 16, 2016 Dann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Where do I start with this? To read Dune is to be consumed; to be immersed in a fully fleshed world, no universe, with a quasi-medieval vibe glossed in dense, but poetic SF. The characters are mesmerising. The ecology is barren, but teeming with a majesty like none other. Herbert has awakened a long dormant sense of inspiration I thought to be long forgotten, buried by the copious amounts of SF garbage I've read over the years.

I now love Dune like I love Orwell's 1984. Dune is a special text th
Jay
May 01, 2013 Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The latter novels did not have the clarity of vision and meaning that the first does
Alex James
*Review: Dune (#1) by Frank Herbert*

Classic epic science-fiction spy saga about two feuding houses embroiled in a war of subterfuge! Duke Leto Atreides of House Atreides has learnt of the Emperor’s corruption. The Emperor subsequently decides to order House Atreides to take residency on the harsh desert world of Arrakis, former seat of the enemy House Harkonnen. Leto suspects treachery when he lands on Arrakis with his Swordmasters, Master of Assassins, Doctor, Bene Gesserit concubine, and son
LOL_BOOKS
IS DUNE EVEN GOOD?

NOT RLY.

THERE'S A RLY INTERESTING WORLDBUILDING AND STORY UNDERNEATH ALL THAT FRANK HERBERT WEIRD PROSE, BUT IT'S NOT WORTH READING. IT COULD BE A COOL SHOW, THOUGH.

THE FIRST ONE WASN'T BAD.

IT'S ENJOYABLE, AND HAS A LOT OF NEAT SCI-FI IDEAS IN IT. THE REAL DANGER IS THAT YOU'LL BE TEMPTED TO READ FURTHER IN THE SERIES, AND THEY STEADILY GET WORSE AND WORSE.

YEAH, THERE'S ONLY SO MANY BOOKS YOU CAN READ IN A SERIES WHERE EVERY BOOK IS 'AND NOW, SEVERAL THOUSAND YEARS LATER.."

IL'D
Delia Binder
Feb 16, 2015 Delia Binder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, reviewed
Another classic of SF - though I will warn you, you might be a bit lost at first with all the interlocking conspiracies of the Imperial Powers, and why everybody seems to have it in for Paul Atredies. Basically, the DUNE Trilogy is a SF version of the Story of Mohammed - simplified a bit and with the serial numbers filed off well enough that nobody's declared a fatwah on Frank Herbert!

Some of the attitudes are seriously dated - like with House Harkonnen's sign of Ultimate Villainy being...they
Наташа
Ну что я могу сказать. Дюна и Мессия Дюны выдержаны в одном духе, в меру мудреные, наполненные событиями, интригами, отношениями и все как положено. Читать их было интересно и затягивающие. Явление гхолы там конечно выглядело дивом-дивным, но в сюжет истории вполне вписалось. Уход Пола в пустыню это вообще именно та концовка, все красиво и со вкусом. Король погиб, да здравствует король! Две первые книги читать нужно и читать стоит вне всякого сомнения!

Но вот дальше тот самый гаденький червячок
Chico
Dec 28, 2015 Chico rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci fi fans
I will rank the series:

1. Dune: 10 stars!!! Best sci fi book and best book of all time! It was the masterpiece of sci fi.

2. Dune messiah: 3.5 stars. Not quite as good and a little disappointing. But in the end still a good book and recommend it.

3. Children of Dune: 4.5 stars A very well written and good twists. Leto was a really cool character.

Overall it was really good. I enjoyed each book. Frank Herbert is a genius of writing. I will now move on to the 2nd trilogy.
How good is this book? 10 41 Apr 04, 2015 06:06AM
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Four Parts
  • The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)
  • The Winds of Dune (Heroes of Dune, #2)
  • The Hyperion Omnibus: Hyperion / The Fall of Hyperion
  • Methuselah's Children
  • Foundation and Chaos (Second Foundation Trilogy, #2)
  • The Dune Encyclopedia
  • The Complete Fiction
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2A
  • Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy, #3)
  • Peace and War (The Forever War Omnibus, #1-3)
  • The Ender Quartet Box Set (The Ender Quintet, #1-4)
  • Chained to the Barbarian (Palace Brides #2)
  • The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke
  • The Ringworld Engineers (Ringworld, #2)
  • H.G. Wells: Seven Novels
  • Jezebel's Ladder (Jezebel's Ladder, #1)
Frank Herbert was a critically acclaimed and commercially successful American science fiction author.

He is best known for the novel Dune and its five sequels. The Dune saga, set in the distant future and taking place over millennia, dealt with themes such as human survival and evolution, ecology, and the intersection of religion, politics, and power, and is widely considered to be among the classi
More about Frank Herbert...

Dune (8 books)
  • Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1)
  • Dune Messiah (Dune Chronicles, #2)
  • Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3)
  • God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #4)
  • Heretics of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #5)
  • Chapterhouse: Dune (Dune Chronicles, #6)
  • Hunters of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #7)
  • Sandworms of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #8)