Start by marking “The Runaway Pumpkin” as Want to Read:
The Runaway Pumpkin

The Runaway Pumpkin

When Buck, Billy, and their little sister Lil spy the biggest pumpkin they've ever seen, they can't resist. Buck and Billy try to roll the pumpkin down the hill to show everyone, but it's too big! Before they know it, it's bumping and thumping and rolling out of control down the hillside. It busts through Momma Baxter's sty and makes her think of pumpkin pie. It knocks ove ...more
Published April 2005 by Scholastic (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Runaway Pumpkin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Runaway Pumpkin

Caroline
Oct 09, 2016 Caroline rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A giant pumpkin rolls gets set free and rolls around town.

This one might be in fun in a family story time.
Britt Kitko
Summary: When Buck, Billy, and their little sister Lil spy the biggest pumpkin they've ever seen, they can't resist. Buck and Billy try to roll the pumpkin down the hill to show everyone, but it's too big! Before they know it, it's bumping and thumping and rolling out of control down the hillside. It busts through Momma Baxter's sty and makes her think of pumpkin pie. It knocks over Grandpa Baxter and makes him think of pumpkin soup. And when Poppa Baxter finally stops it in a pumpkin bed, all h ...more
Sophie Riggsby / allthingsequilateral
*Review published on Mundie Kids on 10/26/2011*

This is a book that I bought at a Scholastic Book Fair many years ago and it serves as a reminder to me to remember the wonderful fairs that are upcoming at our local schools. I know that Mundie Moms and Mundie Kids check those out faithfully and if you're like me you spend way too much money there. But consider the quality of books you purchase like this one.

A pumpkin that runs away from two little boys and t
Tory Haberman
Nov 15, 2014 Tory Haberman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Runaway Pumpkin by Kevin Lewis is about three kids, Buck, Billy, and Lil who find a humongous pumpkin on the top of a hill. Buck and Bill want to show everyone this great big pumpkin and try to roll it down the hill. However, it is so big that they lose control of the pumpkin and it goes rolling and bumping and thumping down the hillside! As it rolls through Momma Baxter’s sty, knocking over Grandpa Baxter, and hurdling towards Poppa Baxter on his tractor, all they could think of is pumpkin ...more
Alyssa Frank
Nov 13, 2014 Alyssa Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Runaway Pumpkin is about the Baxter children, Buck, Billy and Lil, who stumble upon the biggest pumpkin they had ever seen. The boys pluck the stem and begin to roll the ginormous pumpkin until they lose control and it topples down the hill, through Mommas sty while she is thinking of Granny's pumpkin pie, through Granpa's coop while he is thinking of Granny's pumpkin soup, and towards Poppa, where he cleverly devised a plan. How will Poppa stop the large pumpkin and save the day.

This rhymin
Alex Austin
Lewis, Kevin. "The Runaway Pumpkin". Illus. S. D. Schindler. New York: Orchard Books, 2003. Print. This book was about some kids who climbed a hill and found a giant pumpkin which they cut loose and the pumpkin went rolling down and plowing down and destroying everything that was in its path. The towns people finally got the pumpkin to stop and then they made it into a giant jack o lantern. This book used a lot of words on each page. It started to lose my interest in the story because of so many ...more
Mariamawit Habtamu
Preschool and older
This is an awesome book to read especially during fall when children are able to see pumpkins around. It’s about Buck, Billy and their baby sister, Lil who spotted a big pumpkin. When Baxter’s family saw the big pumpkin they thought of Granny’s delicious meal, and at the end they all got to enjoy soup, bread and pie.

Learning Experience
After reading this book, I will have different types of pumpkins for children to see. We will look at things that are round, flat, huge, medium
Lauren Marotta
The runaway pumpkin is a story of Buck, Billy and Lil Baxter who find a pumpkin that’s the largest in the patch. It rolls all through town and runs over millions of things. Each time someone in the family thinks of something grandma will make like pumpkin soup, or pumpkin bread as the pumpkin comes rolling through town. The end of the story concludes with the pumpkin finally stopping somewhere, and you wonder where it will stop!

The way Runaway Pumpkin fits in with this genre is definitely its rh
Jan
Sep 27, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One Halloween morning, the three Baxter kids climbed the hill near their town.

"And there, upon that hillside,
growing orange, fat and fine,
the budding Baxters found a pumpkin
on a twisty, twirly vine."

While their sister watched, the Baxter boys snapped off that monster pumpkin from the vine at the top of the hill. But they didn't expect what happened next. Oh, no! It's a runaway pumpkin!

S. D. Schindler's illustrations are hilarious as the pumpkin bounces and bumps its way through the pigsty an
Stephanie Skolmoski
When little Lil watched her “bumbling, big-head brothers” cut the gigantic pumpkin from its vine, disaster is sure to follow. It rolls down the hill through the pig pen, the chicken coop past the cows leaving a mess behind. But all the Baxters can think about are the many things Granny can cook up with that huge pumpkin. Poppa Baxter’s great idea to stop the pumpkin was perfect and so was the Halloween party, once Granny finished cooking!

This is a cute story and great illustrations. Children wil
Samangie
Oct 10, 2013 Samangie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fall book for kids. My one year old Nd two year old want me to read this to them at least twice a day. We got it from the library initially but they loved it so much I went ahead and bought a copy for our own home-library. I gave it four starts because it has a rhyming scheme to it that works lovely, but in some instances just doesn't make sense. At those points we inserted our own words to make the rhyming work. Overall, a fun fall read for all ages!
Khinna
Mar 13, 2008 Khinna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschool to Grade 2
Shelves: children
My sister-in-law (age 10) left this in my car. Of course, I picked it up and read it. It's a funny Halloween story of three Baxter children who find a huge pumpkin and the boy Baxters promptly try to remove the pumpkin from its perch. It rolls down the hill, and members from his family has designs on things they would like to do or make with a pumpkin (pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin soup).

The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three children come across a truly enormous pumpkin on Halloween evening. The boys set the pumpkin loose and down the hill to their farm it rolls, unabated. Everyone who comes in contact with the great, rolling pumpkin thinks of a different pumpkin treat that Granny can make with it. Luckily, Poppa figures out a way to stop the runaway pumpkin and all those treats become a reality.

Fun illustrations.
Laura J
Sep 17, 2015 Laura J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book I have to say is one of our very favorites! It has the best rhythm and wording that makes us want to read it all year around! I find myself many times reading parts of it as we go through our day! Its about a huge pumpkin that two brothers cut from the stem...and it rolls out of control down a big hill! Our favorite is when it says the thumpety, bumpety, thumpin' bumpin' round and roll-y RUNAWAY PUMPKIN!!! A MUST read!
Julianne
This is a cute children's picture book that is perfect for Halloween read-alouds! The pumpkin at the top of the hill is too big, and is rolling toward disaster! Can anyone stop it? And can Granny Baxter cook up some yummy pumpkin treats? And don't you just love everyone's Halloween costume? Great family fun!

Christina
Nov 04, 2012 Christina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Very fun story to read around Halloween. It discusses a huge pumpkin that is rolling away. The pumpkin crashes through different buildings on the farm, and heads towards the farmers home! Can be used for talking about order of events, or retelling of stories. I used this with my first graders around halloween, and they loved it.
Chris
Jan 11, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love how all ages of kids get hooked on this one. A very large pumpkin rolls down the hill because the kids uprooted and the father finally plows a whole for it to get caught in. Everyone squeezes it into Grandmas house and she makes everything pumpkin for the whole family while still leaving the shell of the jack-o-lantern to enjoy!
Monique Williams
This is a rhyming book that can be used for teaching rhyme and seasons, harvest and science. The activities could be things that are done in the fall. They mention making pumpkin pie and a cooking activity for science would be lots of fun after reading this silly book. It does mention Halloween but you could easily remove that word and just use it as a fall book.
Vivian
Apr 14, 2014 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
What might happen when an over-large pumpkin rolls down the hill (with a little nudge from three costumed siblings)?

Great for performing -- be sure to roll arms while repeating the refrain "round and 'round across the ground makin' a thumpin' bumpin' sound came that thumpety bumpety thumpin' bumpin' round and roll-y runaway pumpkin".
Jessica
Nov 27, 2010 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fall, rhyming
It is Halloween and a family has food on their mind. When the children knock a enormous pumpkin down a hill it takes the wits of the whole family to stop that runaway pumpkin and turn it into a Halloween meal.
Rachel
Oct 12, 2010 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literacy-class
This book is a rhyming book that is full of alliterations, adjectives, creative wording and descriptive words. Great book for fun reading but also to teach about creative writing (especially in October).
Rosa Cline
Nov 03, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, halloween
What a cute rhyming storybook! Text and illustrations both grab you and hold your attention until the end. My 2 year old granddaughter enjoyed the book as I read it to her and from time to time giggled at the antics going on. And in the end Granny saves the day!
Patricia
We read the French translation of this book, "Citrouille en vadrouille" as one of our autumn bedtime stories. It was a quick, happy read that had my kids laughing at the silliness of the giant, rolling pumpkin.
Jessica Bennett
This book has animated words that brings the story to life when you read it. It is great for read alouds because it shows a writing craft with repetitive and rhyming words throughout the whole story.
Drew Paige
Apr 22, 2011 Drew Paige rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would be a great book to read around Halloween time. It also helps children learn more about rhyming. There are a lot of ideas from this book for children to relate to such as costumes, pumpkin pie, etc. I enjoyed the story and the illustrations.
Jami
Jan 24, 2009 Jami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents with young children, grade school teachers
Shelves: childrens
A fun book for Halloween time for kids. A rhyming story about 2 brothers and a little sister and what happens when they let loose a giant pumpkin they find on Halloween. It has to be in the top 5 requested books to be read AGAIN by my children. Good fun!
Cayla Lile
The Runaway Pumpkin is such a cute read aloud children's book! It is perfect to read to a class around Halloween. The word use and writing style is great for reading aloud. I would recommend this to any teacher wanting a fun holiday themed read.
Storm
I do a huge pumpkin/fall unit with my students and this is a PERFECT read aloud to have in my teacher collection.

It's repetitive enough for Kindergartners and I love that the book mentions all of the different things you can cook/bake with pumpkin.

My students will love this.
Bonnie
This is a fun, non-scary Halloween book. The kids discover a giant pumpkin at the top of the hill, and it rolls down, taking out half the farm. Then Granny bakes a whole bunch of yummy pumpkin dishes and the family dresses up for Halloween and has their dinner. It's cute, and the rhyme is fun.
  • Big Pumpkin