The White Hart (Book of the Isle, #1)

The White Hart (The Book of Isle #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  268 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Welcome to Isle, a land of fantasy that existed long before there were such things. Surrounded by vast oceans and dotted with thick forests, Isle was a land in which all beings lived together. There were gods and ghosts dwelling with the Old Ones, the wise ancient ancestors. During this period, The Book of Suns began its life, though little was known about its contents. Th...more
Published (first published 1979)

Ann
Mar 25, 2011 Ann rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ann by: I'm guessing this is the one X meant
What this book made me realize, is that while I usually read fantasy books, they typically are either Middle Grade or YA. Therefore, I was in for a slight learning curve when I delved into "White Hart" which is more adult. So, for my review, bare in mind that I'm not so used to this specific fantasy genre - neither the style of language nor the flow - and that the closet thing I've come to it is probably the incredible Lord of the Rings trilogy, which is a lot to compare any book to!

"White Hart"...more
Cera
This was Springer's first novel, and a far cry from the odd magical-realism that she was writing in the mid-90s. It is really quite a competent book, very tonally reminiscent of Evangeline Walton's work with Welsh myth except in a world that's (somewhat) Springer's own creation. There's a kidnapped noblewoman and a guy who talks to mythical animals and a love triangle and all that good stuff, in a Welsh-ish setting with gods and elves.

Unfortunately, the novel suffers from the passage of time. In...more
Rambles On
Nancy Springer's The White Hart and The Silver Sun are the first two volumes in a loose series that relates the history of Isle, a land of deep forest and petty barons for whom, in the days of The White Hart, raids and brush-fire wars are a way of life.

The story opens with the rescue of Ellid, daughter of Pryce Dacaerin, from captivity by a strange youth, dark of hair and eye, pale of skin, a slight young man of amazing strength and strange habits. He is Bevan, son of Byve, the last High King of...more
SuperHeroQwimm
The story starts with the daughter of a high lord, Ellid, trapped in a tower of one of her fathers enemies being rescued by an odd stranger by the name of Bevan. During the short journey back to her father they fall in love. This is quite the problem for Ellids cousin, Cuin, who is heir to her fathers lands and also her, and has a deep love for her. But soon Cuin also develops a strong loving friendship with Bevan, and throughout the story we feel so much of his pain from wanting to be with Elli...more
Ryan
I liked the strong-willed Ellid, that she knew her mind and heart even if it wasn't what her father wanted. I liked the friendship that grew between Cuin and Bevan, rivals for Ellid who got to the point where they needed one another more than they needed Ellid. The story has an Arthurian legend feel - high king bringing the rival factions together, fighting the darkness, etc.
Sarah Maroney
This is a great book for fantasy lovers. It has been quite a few years since I read this, but I still remember a lot of it. It starts out with Bevan rescuing Ellid. There is an evil that plagues the land and they along with Cuin fight it so that Isle can be saved.

I have read this many times, although the 2nd book in the series is my favorite.
Mike (the Paladin)
I read this book long ago and as far as I know it's long out of print. It is an example of pure and even classic fantasy. I sup[pose you would call it a romance but I mean that in the old fashioned sense and not in the modern sense. if you can find it it's worth the read.
John
Solid book. It started out a bit slow and odd and I was worried, but after about 30-40 pages the story really kicked in and the characters began to develop nicely. Nice tale with a bittersweet ending.
Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Lynda
I almost never start a book and put it down with no intention of finishing it. I started to read this when it was first published--a long time ago and still remember it as a stand-out....so trite it made my teeth hurt.
Edward Sargisson
The register is Tolkienesque but in a much simpler, smaller world. It is basically the story of a Demi-god, the women who loves him and the man who loves her.
Sarah Pierce
I have read this book several times. It’s very romantic and “Lord of the Rings”-ish. Dragons are called wyverns, that sort of thing. Lyrical writing.
Kendra
Cute little read, gave off a child's fairy tale, LOTR feel to it. 1st in a 5 book series.
Jessa Slade
In 3 words:
Poetic, argent (I love this word!), perfect.
Bruce
Unabashed fantasy tale for adults. Good airplane book.
Shane Findlay
Shane Findlay marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Zachry R.
Zachry R. marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Sirona
Sirona added it
Jul 11, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Ester
Ester marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
  • The Silver Call
  • The Blackgod (Children of the Changeling, #2)
  • Jinian Footseer (Jinian, #1)
  • New Moon (The Oran Trilogy #1)
  • Hawk of May
  • The Elves and the Otterskin (World of the Alfar, #2)
  • The Chick is in the Mail (Chicks in Chainmail, #4)
  • The Isle of Glass (The Hound and the Falcon, #1)
  • Tsubasa: Those with Wings, Volume 1
  • The Quartered Sea (Quarters #4)
  • Track of the White Wolf (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #4)
  • Oh My Goddess! Volume 5: Sympathy for the Devil
  • The Fellowship of the Talisman
  • The Unexpected Dragon (Pigs Don't Fly, #2-4)

BIO -- NANCY SPRINGER

Nancy Springer has passed the fifty-book milestone, having written that many novels for adults, young adults and children, in genres including mythic fantasy, contemporary fiction, magical realism, horror, and mystery -- although she did not realize she wrote mystery until she won the Edgar Allan Poe Award from the Mystery Writers of America two years in succession. DARK LIE...more
More about Nancy Springer...
The Case of the Missing Marquess (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #1) The Case of the Left-Handed Lady (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #2) I Am Morgan le Fay The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #4) The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #3)