Start by marking “Ottoline Goes to School” as Want to Read:
Ottoline Goes to School

Ottoline Goes to School (Ottoline #2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  510 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Meet Ottoline and her hairy, helpful friend Mr Munroe. No secret is ever too scary for the two of them to discover together. Ottoline is off to the Alice B. Smith School for the Differently Gifted. She is rather worried that she doesn't have a special gift.
Published February 1st 2008 by MacMillan Children's Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ottoline Goes to School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ottoline Goes to School

Anna
I wasn't crazy about this book. It's not great and it's not bad either. Ottoline's parents are travelers who are often away but she doesn't seem to mind as she has her best friend Mr. Munroe and lots of grown-ups to look after her. One day she meets Cecily Forbes-Lawerence III in the park by her apartment and they quickly become friends. Cecily goes to Alice B. Smith School for the Differently Gifted and Ottoline soon decides that she would like to attend too. Once Ottoline reaches the boarding...more
Grace
I actually like this sequel better than 'Ottoline and the Yellow Cat'.
Both are very charming, with a distinct style.
It reminds me a little of the 'Eloise' books by Kay Thompson, and other classic books too.
I see that most reviewers on here prefer the first book, but I actually liked this one better.
I liked that I felt it focused more on Ottoline's character.
The first book focused a lot on the mystery of the Yellow Cat.
This book focused more on Ottoline as a character.
It was an entertaining and c...more
Clearwater Public Library Staff Picks
If possible, I loved this book more than the first one. Our fearless heroine Ottoline, and her faithful companion Mr. Munroe set off for the Alice B. Smith School for the Differently Gifted with Ottoline’s new friend Cecily. Strange occurrences are happening at the school and Ottoline has to come up with another of her clever plans to deduce what is really going on. All of the children at the school have names that reference famous people, and they each have such cool and unique gifts. In the en...more
Shelli
Another cute addition to the Ottoline series. These are fun reads for young readers who are not quite ready for larger chapter books or just want a quick entertaining read. My favorite part is the illustrations, which are brilliant. In this adventure Ottoline begins attending Alice B. Smith's School for the Differently Gifted so she can spend more time with her lonely moody friend Cecily. Cecily was not the most likeable character though and annoyed me greatly. Hopefully, she isn't in the third...more
Barb Middleton
This book has 170 pages but took me 30 minutes to read because about half of it is filled with gorgeous illustrations. Good for grades 2-4, the story is about Ottoline Brown whose rich parents gallivant across continents as Collectors. We don't know what they are collecting but they correspond with Ottoline through letters while servants take care of her and she spends time with her best friend, Munroe, a hairy creature that looks like a cross between "The Lorax" and "Cousin It." When Ottoline m...more
Glimmerfee
In diesem Band macht sich Ottoline zusammen mit Mr. Munroe und ihrer neuen Freundin Cäcillia auf in die Alice-B.-Sanders Schule für Kinder mit ganz besonderen Begabungen. Dort trifft Ottoline auf Kinder mit den unterschiedlichsten Begabungen wie z.B. Luft-Floristik oder Vorhang-Origami.
Doch seltsame Dinge geschehen im Internat. Der Geist eines Pferdes geht im alten Gemäuer umher und die Kinder wollen nach Hause geschickt werden, doch wer wäre Ottoline, wenn sie den merkwürdigen Dingen nicht auf...more
Eva Mitnick
Poor Mr. Munroe. His status in Ottoline's life is rather unique - and rather unclear to outsiders. In fact, most folks can't quite tell what manner of creature he is, and so when he accompanies Ottoline to boarding school (the Alice B. Smith School for the Differently Gifted), he is labeled a dog and sent to stay in the east wing with the other assorted pets and companions (all of whom are at least as eccentric as Mr. Munroe).

This isn't Mr. Munroe's only dilemma. He is also suffering pangs of je...more
Sarah Sammis
Ottoline returns in Ottoline Goes to School by Chris Riddell. In keeping with my accidental trend of reading sequels first, I read this book before Ottoline and the Yellow Cat.

The book pretty much stands alone although I was left wondering why Ottoline has a bear for a friend. In this book Ottoline decides she needs to go to school because that's what children do.

Ottoline is picked up in a bus where she rides with other extraordinary children (the son of the invisible man, for instance) and thei...more
Alyssa
Jun 18, 2013 Alyssa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alyssa by: Sarah
Shelves: read-to-quinn
Quinn really enjoys the Ottoline books! She says they are fun and that she enjoys the pictures and story. This one follows Ottoline as she befriends a girl named Cecily and her pet horse, Mumbles, over school break. When Cecily sadly shares that she must return to school, the Alice B. Smith School for the Differently Gifted, Ottoline decides to go with her. We follow Ottoline on her journey to discover her different gift and so happen upon a mystery that has a very homesick little girl missing h...more
Heather Collins
Ottoline goes to school is another great book in the Ottoline collection. We hope the author writes more! My seven year old daughter loves these books and so do I. The author includes so many fun details and illustrations. Ottoline and Mr. Munroe are a perfect match and we love following them on their adventures.
Donna
Ottoline Goes to School combines the intrigue of an accessible mystery with an original plot and idiosyncratic characters. Chris Riddell guides the reader through his highly imaginative world with finely detailed pen and ink illustrations present on every page, each with a strategic touch of color. These illustrations do not just portray the action in the narrative, but also offer the reader hints of developments to come. Within this imaginative world, Riddell maintains the steady, calm presence...more
Charlyn  Trussell
I am a Chris Riddell fan and can't figure out why I don't already have a review here for Ottoline and the Yellow Cat since that book is the reason I bought this one. Ottoline (not a common name for girl characters, huh?) meets Cicely at the park and instantly becomes intrigued by Cicely and her stories. When Ottoline learns that Cicely attends a private school for gifted children, she writes her ever-absent parents and receives permission to enroll there, too. The story is accompanied by illus...more
Gillian
C. B.
Ottoline and her best hairy friend, Mr. Monroe (is he really a dog?) join new friend Cecily and her pony, Mumbles, at the Alice B. Smith School for the Differently Gifted. The students seek out and practice their gifts (whether or not, it is plate spinning, aerial flower arranging, curtain origami, carriage croquet, painting, etc.) At the end, Ottoline realizes that her great gift is sleuthing, as she finds out the culprits behind the curse of the Horse of Hammersteins and haunting of the school...more
Cynthia
I love, love, love these books. They're quirky and fun and don't talk down to kids, but they aren't as disastrous and anxiety provoking as Lemony Snicket series.
Jess
An excellent choice for readers just moving to chapter books, reluctant readers, or anyone looking for something quick and entertaining. Told through both text and pictures, this sequel to Ottoline and the Yellow Cat has all the same charms - quirky characters and situations, pictures that form part of the story and beg to be examined in detail, and an excellent sense of the absurd. This one features a boarding school plot that pokes nice fun at the genre.
Nic
Just randomly read it again today and still love it!!!
Aoife
Beautiful illustrations .
Sue
This was a very cute story, we liked it.
Carmen
Apr 05, 2014 Carmen added it
Hello
Yi
I loved Riddell's marvellous illustrations in this book, the story so so. A cute sequel.
Christiane
I wish I lived in Ottoline's house with her best friend Mr. Munroe (a shaggy creature that is NOT a dog) and her cook Jean-Pierre and Big Doug from Door-Handle Shiners Inc. and the other's who look after her while her parents are away collecting things. In this book Ottoline and Mr. Munroe meet a new friend and decide to start school. One of the best parts of the book are the numerous black, white (and sometimes blue) illustrations. A quick, fun read.
Abby Johnson
When Ottoline meets and befriends the wealthy Cecily Forbes-Lawrence III, she decides that she should go away to boarding school just like Cecily does, so she and her cohort Mr. Munroe set off for the Alice B. Smith School for the Differently Gifted. Is it possible the school is actually haunted?

This is a quirky tale with lots of quirky illustrations and kids who are into the quirky will delight in it. Me? It's not really my thing.
Yara
Micaela and I think these books are delightfully clever and funny. We love Mr. Munro, her hairy companion, and look forward to reading the next one, Ottoline at Sea. This is a fun book for children who are graduating to chapter books since it is very heavy on illustrations. In fact, the illustrations tell much of the story. It's also a fun book for people who enjoy a quirky sense of humor, whatever their age.
Kell
The second Ottoline adventure is just as wonderful as the first. Such a sensible little girl in an unusual situation (absent parents who travel the world while she stays home with Mr Munroe, a small, hairy fellow from the bogs of Norway) trying to find some kind of normality but remaining extraordinary. This series has enough charm to appeal to readers of all ages!
Arantxa A
I found this book very good too, although not as good as the first one because it is less thrilling and less funny than the first book. But I really like the part when the book shows the timetable for the Alice B. Smith school, Wednesday's don't exist! This is because Alice B. Smith doesn't believe in Wednesday's. Besides, the lessons are funny.
Tara
A good substitute for a girl looking for Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Part Addams Family, and part Madeline - Ottoline has a furry best friend who is not a dog but makes a new friend who makes her want to go to school. With lots of fun illustrations with hidden jokes and an imaginative storyline this is a quick read with a lot of laughs packed in.
Jane
I really enjoyed this quirky little book. Part novel, part graphic novel it was just fun, packed with visual detail that was most enjoyable. Really a little bit of a fluffy confection without being horrible cloying. This should get a bit of action at the check out desk in the library...
Kristen Gurri
Lots of fun. Not too many vocabulary issues. Even the names are pretty easy to figure out. Fun graphics. Half early chapter book and half comic book. Dry humor but not as arcane as Lemony Snicket. Kate and I read this in a day and Colin couldn't help but join us.
Becky
Charming... my whole family adored it! Can't wait to read the next, and hoping that at some point more will be added to the collection as the pictures and stories are so imaginative and fun! Fantastic read, especially to my inquisitive little girl!
  • The Wyverns’ Treasure (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #3)
  • Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen, Will Travel
  • Hugo Pepper (Far-Flung Adventures, #3)
  • Clementine and the Family Meeting (Clementine, #5)
  • The Dunderheads
  • Amazing Greek Myths of Wonder and Blunders
  • Alvin Ho: Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho, #2)
  • Four Tales
  • Phineas L. MacGuire . . . Erupts!: The First Experiment
  • There's a Wolf at the Door
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • Tumtum and Nutmeg: Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall
  • The Escape of the Deadly Dinosaur: USA (Secret Agent Jack Stalwart, #1)
  • Hollywood, Dead Ahead (43 Old Cemetery Road, #5)
  • Ivy and Bean: What's the Big Idea? (Ivy and Bean, #7)
  • Cornelia and the Audacious Escapades of the Somerset Sisters
  • Cool Zone with the Pain and the Great One
  • Flawed Dogs: The Shocking Raid on Westminster
Chris Riddell was born in Cape Town, South Africa, where his father was an Anglican priest and a member of the ANC. The family moved to England in 1963, when Riddell was one year old, and he spent his childhood in a number of different locations, as his father moved between parishes. Both of Riddell's parents continued to be active in the anti-apartheid movement.

Chris Riddell is an internationally...more
More about Chris Riddell...
Ottoline and the Yellow Cat Goth Girl and the Ghost of a Mouse Ottoline at Sea. Chris Riddell The Emperor of Absurdia Wendel's Workshop