Start by marking “Once Upon a Summer Day (Faery Series, #2)” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Summer Day (Faery Series, #2)

Once Upon a Summer Day (Faery Series #2)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  589 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Borel, Prince of the Winterwood, has been dreaming of a beautiful, golden-haired maiden night after night. He believes that she truly exists-and that she is in terrible danger. To save her, Borel must journey through the land of Faery-and face the dark forces that await him...
Published April 4th 2006 by Roc (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Summer Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Summer Day

Johnny
Oct 13, 2015 Johnny rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Once Upon a Summer Day is a continuation of an epic story arc where four royal siblings are responsible for enchanted forests reflective of each major season. In spite of the title, Once Upon a Summer Day is the story of the “winter lord,” Lord Borel. In a reasonably interesting alchemy of fairy tale references with the author’s own rather minor twists, the “winter lord” treks off to rescue a princess. The story has more meat than the Mario/Zelda storyline I just typed, but the bulk of it is rel ...more
David
Feb 09, 2015 David rated it liked it
Shelves: completed
This is a delightful book, once it finally gets going. The beginning was a bit disappointing and I am a bit annoyed that very little of the actions takes place in the Summerswood... In fact, the hero of this one is Borel, the prince of the Winterwood.

However, McKiernan writes a wonderful quest for his hero involving Sleeping Beauty-- He makes the tale interesting-- full of romance and love-- as well as adventures. Along the way he tosses in some odd creatures (A sprite and a bee) who give the n
Ann
Dec 07, 2013 Ann rated it liked it
Had read Once Upon a Winter's Night because the fairy tale is my FAVORITE and I loved the unique background he creates to explain the "theory" or evolution of fairy tales- their source, their oral corruption to being written. This is a continuation of the Faery world and examines Borel and Michelle aka Chelle aka Sleeping Beauty. I could have done without the... more adult content- it kind of ruined it for me.
Teresa Gonzales
This is actually the second book I have read in this series. The first "Once Upon a Winter's Night" was lent to me by my son last year. In the Once Upon series, McKiernan writes of classic Fairy Tales as he feels they were told in the beginning. He feels that stories were passed from generation to generation by bards who told and re-told the stories. With each passing down of the tale, the original story became smaller and smaller until we have the tales as we now know them, short and to the poi ...more
Jan
Apr 27, 2009 Jan rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, magic
Grand retelling of sleeping beauty tale. As the author claims, he this is the rest of the story. Prince Borel of the Winterwood demense dreams of beautiful golden haired maiden trapped but where is the question. This tale is the quest to rescue her with unlikely companions. All cautionary tales of the faery are made real.
Carrie
Apr 10, 2016 Carrie rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
This was an unimpressive read. It took the author nearly 100 pages to get to the point, and even then it never actually got there. I tried really hard to finish this book. Considering I have two more books after this, I suspect it will be many years before I try again. I am a big fan of this authors work, and I am incredibly disappointed. I think I will stick to his Mithgar series from now on.
Lacy Stovall
Aug 22, 2010 Lacy Stovall rated it really liked it
Shelves: books
I really enjoyed this book. Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorite fairy tales and the way McKiernan takes the tale and makes it his own is well done. I also love how this story connects with 'Once Upon a Winter Night', his re-telling of 'East of the Sun, West of the Moon'- another favorite tale of mine.

I really look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Kipahni
Nov 06, 2007 Kipahni rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those who want to kill time reading mindless yet somewhat amusing fantasy
Shelves: 2007-books
pretty much everything I didn't like about the first in this series I don't like in this book. There are ridiculous dialogue, corny love parts and the only saving grace in the book is the fact that it's an interesting story (Sleeping beauty).
Michelle
Oct 23, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this book! It might have a little to do with my copy being signed by the author and that the main female character is named Michelle. I found the concept of this world very fun and it kept my interest.
Ziona
Jul 08, 2008 Ziona rated it liked it
I really like the way he re-spins this fairytale. I really like the French elements that are encorporated and that his female heroine isn't a cake. Loverly.
thom
Sep 01, 2014 thom rated it liked it
I'm finding McKiernan's "once upon a..." books to be a fair bit more pulpy than his Mithgar novels. Still, I have enjoyed two I've read so far.
Sarah Insomnia
Jul 29, 2011 Sarah Insomnia rated it did not like it
This looked a lot better than what it was. Everything kind of drowned in the excessive descriptiveness of the writing...
Isabelle Arné
Aug 08, 2014 Isabelle Arné rated it liked it
Good but not extraodinary I'm hoping more adventure for the next books. The romace is really beautiful !
Doris
Mar 02, 2010 Doris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book! So far it has put me to sleep 3 times. I don't need a sleeping pill!
Dana Caplinger
Jan 02, 2016 Dana Caplinger rated it really liked it
Re-reading this favorite series from a decade ago. It's a bit hokey, but I still love it!
Danae
Oct 17, 2013 Danae added it
Shelves: fairy-tales
cleaner then the first one but it still could've done without the sex.
The Fairy Godmother
Second book of the series. Retelling of Sleeping Beauty.
Lbd
Aug 02, 2008 Lbd rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
book three of the season royals. fun fairytales revisited.
Amberle
Sep 28, 2010 Amberle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great grown up version of sleeping beauty
Ashley
Jan 27, 2012 Ashley rated it really liked it
Good book, couldn't put it down.
Erika
Not bad
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Rhea
Rhea rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
LibraryDanielle
LibraryDanielle rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
  • The Gates of Sleep (Elemental Masters, #3)
  • Waking Rose (A Fairy Tale Retold #3)
  • The Rose: Once Upon a Dream; Based on Beauty and the Beast: Based on Beauty and the Beast
  • One Million A.D.
  • Red's Tale / Lobo's Tale (The Faery Taile Project, #1)
  • When Rose Wakes
  • The Dragon Prince: A Chinese Beauty & the Beast Tale
  • Twice Upon a Time
  • The Last Grimm: Red's Hood
  • Garrett, P.I. (Old Tin Sorrows/ Dread Brass Shadows/ Red Iron Nights)
McKiernan was born in Moberly, Missouri, where he lived until he served the U.S. Air Force for four years, stationed within US territory during the Korean War. After military service, he attended the University of Missouri and received a B.S. in electrical engineering in 1958 and an M.S. in the same field from Duke University in 1964. He worked as an engineer at AT&T, initially at Western Elec ...more
More about Dennis L. McKiernan...

Faery Series (5 books)
  • Once Upon a Winter's Night (Faery Series, #1)
  • Once Upon an Autumn Eve (Faery Series, #3)
  • Once Upon a Spring Morn (Faery Series, #4)
  • Once Upon a Dreadful Time (Faery Series, #5)