Start by marking “Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (Forgotten Realms)” as Want to Read:
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (Forgotten Realms)

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (Forgotten Realms)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,306 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Dark perils and great deeds await.

Welcome to Faerûn, a land of high magic, terrifying monsters, ancient ruins, and hidden wonders. From the forbidding forests of the Silver Marches to the teeming cities of the Inner Sea, Faerûn encompasses shining kingdoms, monster-infested wastes, endless caverns, and sinister citadels. The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting presents the m
Published May 29th 2001 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting

[Name Redacted]
I don't even like the Forgotten Realms setting, but this book was amazing. Beautiful, well-organized and engaging.
James Bowman
A surprisingly strong guidebook for gamers who want to play in the Forgotten Realms. From the setting's reputation, I'd expected something overcrowded with established canon, where players couldn't find anywhere to carve out adventures of their own. Instead I found a vibrant setting packed with interesting people and places, and many many adventure hooks. Comparing it to the D&D 3rd Edition take on the Greyhawk setting, I think I finally understand why the Realms overtook it as the primary s ...more
David
The Forgotten Realms has always been my favourite of all TSR/WotC settings. One of the reasons is probably because of the wealth of history and lore built for the world. I know people who don't like that so much of the world is filled in and known, but that's what draws me to the setting - it's like a living world.

This FR setting's book is for D&D 3rd Edition. There's a separate Player's Guide that updates it to 3.5 Edition.

A wealth of lore and information on Faerun lies within these pages -
Skut L
My first foray into rpgs was AD&D over 18 years ago when my friend's father invited us to check it out after learning we'd already started reading books like Lord of the Rings. I quickly ensconced myself in the imaginative realm and for an awkward but creative preteen (who became an awkward but creative teen more interested in THAC0 than was probably good for him) it was the very best sort of game. In the early 90s I discovered Dragonlance and, more importantly, Forgotten Realms novels and s ...more
Nick
May 01, 2011 Nick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: rpgs
I've always been a fan of the forgotten realms as a setting. To my mind it is one of the most detailed, well-thought out fictional worlds specifically designed for gaming.

The 3rd edition D&D version of the campaign setting updates the overarching meta-plot and is absolutely packed full of flavour and added rules material for 3.0e, and so it has a little bit for everyone. For players there are new prestige classes, special rules for creating characters with additional forgotten realms specifi
Dustin
I have to admit that the Forgotten Realms is my least favorite campaign setting only because I don't have an opinion about Greyhawk. Now, my experience may be colored by the people who I gamed with at the time I was playing in the Realms, but I did not enjoy the excruciating level of detail that the setting has accumulated over the years. My first foray into Dungeons and Dragons was Game Mastering, and I hadn't yet developed the GM chops to shut down the irritating players in my group. Having to ...more
Francisco Becerra
One of the most beautiful, comprehensive, complete and engaging books for D&D. It is worth just for the wondrous descriptions of the Realms and the endless adventures it offers. A must-have in any RPG library.
For some reason, I find game books really relaxing to read, and this is one of my favorites--covers a lot of ground, leaves a lot up to the imagination.
Chuck
Gorgeous. Couldn't decide between 4 and 5 but it is one of the finest RPG campaign setting books I have seen. Finest period.
G L Meisner
An alright book bringing the popular setting to the D20 system.
Terence
Perhaps it's a measure of my geekhood but I take great pleasure in just reading volumes like this. For me, the attraction of RPGs has always been the "back story."

Like MAR Barker (see my Tekumel entry), however, Ed Greenwood is better at imagining fantasy settings than writing about them -- I've tried reading some of his novels and just couldn't finish them (as a rule I avoid serial novels like the Forgotten Realms, Star Wars or Star Trek -- even I have better things to do than waste time on the
Michele
Legnoso, per quanto uno dei piu decenti tra gli ultimi di Salvatore. Quello precedente l'avevo letto in lingua Inglese e mi aveva annoiato a morte, questo invece riesce a diventare interessante verso la fine del libro. Personaggi approfonditi ma largamente stereotipati, un po' spiccio nelle descrizioni.
Damien Anderson
It was a good role playing book.
Lady Belinda
I have only read one book in the Forgotten Realms series, so playing D&D in the Forgotten Realms is a little challenging for me...but my first time went pretty well and I really enjoy playing. So exciting!
Nicolas Castro
Una de las mejores guias de campaña que se publicaron en 3ra Edicion; los libros de la segunda son muy superiores pero esta guia supo encontrar su camino. Buenos momentos!!
Librivore
The 2nd edition rulebook came in a sweet box with maps and other paraphernalia. It also had superior art. Meh!
Andrew
Mostly this is a geography book for the popular places of Toril.
Michael Butturini
One of the greatest roleplaying books ever written.
Rick
My favorite setting of all in D&D.
Robert Morris
Awesome. But he created it!
Dylan
Rating based on usefulness.
  • Player's Guide to Faerûn (Forgotten Realms) (Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5)
  • Races of Faerûn (Forgotten Realms) (Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition)
  • Magic of Faerûn (Forgotten Realms) (Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition)
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Monster Manual (3.5 Edition)
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Dungeon Master's Guide (3.5 Edition)
  • Underdark (Dungeons & Dragons d20 Fantasy Roleplaying, Forgotten Realms Accessory)
  • Dungeons & Dragons Supplement: Complete Adventurer (3.5 Edition)
  • Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition)
  • Complete Warrior (Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5)
  • Forgotten Realms: Adventures (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Stock #2106)
  • Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerun (Dungeon & Dragons d20 3.5 Fantasy Roleplaying)
  • Monster Manual II (Dungeons & Dragons d20 3.0 Fantasy Roleplaying Supplement)
  • Spell Compendium (Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5)
  • Eberron Campaign Setting (D&D: Eberron)
  • Player's Handbook II
20513
Ed Greenwood is the creator of the Forgotten Realms fantasy world, which became the setting for his home D&D game in 1975. Play still continues in this long-running campaign, and Ed also keeps busy producing Realmslore for various TSR publications.

Ed has published over two hundred articles in Dragon magazine and Polyhedron newszine, is a lifetime charter member of the Role Playing Game Associa
More about Ed Greenwood...
Elminster: The Making of a Mage (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #1) Elminster in Myth Drannor (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #2) Spellfire (Shandril's Saga #1) The Temptation of Elminster (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #3) Crown of Fire (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #9; Shandril's Saga, #2)