Start by marking “Dragon Blood (Hurog, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Blood (Hurog, #2)

Dragon Blood (Hurog #2)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  7,076 Ratings  ·  255 Reviews
Irresistible fantasy from the #1 New York Times bestselling author.

As the rebellion grows against High King Jakoven, Ward, ruler of Hurog, realizes he must join with the rebels. However, Jakoven can crush his enemies with dragon's blood -- the very blood that courses through Ward's veins.
Mass Market Paperback, 275 pages
Published January 28th 2003 by Berkley Publishing Group (first published December 31st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Blood

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,049 books — 2,045 voters
Dragon Bound by Thea HarrisonDragon Actually by G.A. AikenAbout a Dragon by G.A. AikenWhat a Dragon Should Know by G.A. AikenLast Dragon Standing by G.A. Aiken
Dragon Shifters
367 books — 738 voters

More lists with this book...

Rob
Executive Summary: Not nearly as enjoyable as the first book.

Audio book: Joe Manganiello once again does a fine job without really adding or subtracting from the story.

Full Review
After finishing Dragon Bones I was left with some lingering questions and looking forward to this book. For some reason this story wasn't as much fun. It's hard to put my finger on exactly why.

My best guess is the pacing. For such a short book, it felt like the plot meandered too much on unimportant details. The begi
KatieV
Definitely darker than the first book. There are some disturbing elements alluded to, including rape, sexual assault, child abuse, and torture. As is her usual style, Briggs does not go into a lot of detail, but there is no doubt what occurred.

The sequel takes place 4 years after the first book. Ward is now 23-24 and seems like a man rather than the teen he was. His peaceful existence rebuilding his keep is disturbed by the evil High King who has decided to take Hurog and cement his power.

There
Martin
Oct 02, 2010 Martin rated it really liked it
My view on Dragon Blood is that the narrative is more suited for epic fantasy, but appears to have been reduced (like a fine sauce) making it chock-full of history, legacy, prophecy, religion to the degree that I, as a reader, questions if it all really is necessary or if it could have been rewritten to simplify the world in which the story unfolds. As in The Hob’s Bargain there is a lot more meat in the story, than what Ms Briggs puts to use in the story.
It’s a good story, although a bit harshe
ShoSho
Feb 10, 2015 ShoSho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great narration and great story and plot.
Ren
Sep 17, 2016 Ren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

After I read Dragon Bones (you can read my review here), I decide to continue Ward's journey in Dragon Blood. The book is not standalone, and reader must read first book first to understand the world of Hurog. I devour Dragon Blood, not care that I read this past my bed time and when I reach "The End", it's already 5 a.m. Oh, well, the day was Sunday, so I'm not feeling guilty to not sleep ;).

Is Dragon Blood deserved my sleepless night? I very much said, yes.

I already state in my review o
Kristalia
Final rating: 5/5 stars

This was awesome and worthy sequel of Dragon Bones. I loved it, but i noticed that this one was a lot more darker than the previous book. But it was great conclusion to the series and i love both of the books. Story was as usually, good and interesting but the book was more dedicated to characters like the previous one. But it concluded well. it also happens 4 years after the end of the first book.

____________________________________________

Characters :
_______________
Anne
May 02, 2010 Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2010
Really, it's more like 3 1/2 stars. I found it a much easier read than Dragon Bones, but that my have been because dragons and dwarfs are not really my thing, so it took me a little while to get into that setting. I haven't read much fantasy like this, so I don't really know how Brigg's story rates compared to other books in this genre, but I thought it was a quick and enjoyable read.
Miki
Jul 10, 2015 Miki rated it liked it
Much, MUCH better than Dragon Bones....less talk and a lot more action, with plausible characters.
Pauline
Sep 20, 2011 Pauline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is the second of a two-book story and it did not disappoint! Patricia Briggs did what I feel was an excellent capability stretch with this story about mages and their relationships with dragons, whom they believe to be extinct. Briggs does powerful character studies and digs deeply into the workings of how people deal with conditions in life they have no control over and how to cope with or surmount them. I heartily recommend this pair of books, Dragon Bones and Dragon Blood if you like dra ...more
Vorbis
Mar 16, 2015 Vorbis rated it really liked it
I never expected to actually find a copy of this to read. I started off with no memories of the story and managed to pick it up once we met Ward again. The whole thing is lovely fantasy. It has politics and dragons and it's in a fairly classical style.

Good guys fight bad guys and there's a lot of strategizing and a bit of torture and magic and it all ties off neatly at the end which is nice. I'm sure there's a lot of fallout left to happen, but the important loose ends are tied up from my pov an
Jamie Collins
Jun 20, 2009 Jamie Collins rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3.5 stars, not quite as good as the first book, but still a good read. When I finished, I was sorry that there wasn't more written about these characters.

This one is a little heavy with torture and anguish, and I was not much interested in the Newly Awakened Evil Magic Thing that was introduced; I felt like we already had enough Evil Magic going on for such a short book. The final magical battle was also a bit too abstract for my taste. I was more interested in the physical fighting that accompa
Tammie
Dragon Blood is the sequel to Dragon bones. I really enjoyed this book and I thought it was one those rare times when the sequel is even better than the first book. There is more action in this book and some added romance that was just the right amount, not too much, and I liked Tisala, the love interest. She was a very strong capable character. I also loved Oreg in this book. Over all this was a nice fantasy duology. Not my favorite, but I'm glad I read it.
Jojo
Oct 10, 2016 Jojo rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet endorsement: I finished this book in a day because I just couldn't put it down for long. Didn't do great for my plans for studying but well worth it!
LiteratureIsLife
Jan 22, 2017 LiteratureIsLife rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Read this review (and others) at: https://literatureislife.com/2017/01/...

Note: This review will contain spoilers regarding Dragon Bones, the first half of the duology.

Dragon Blood picks up not too far from where Dragon Bones left off, with Ward and his kingdom rebuilding from the aftermath of the battle at Castle Hurog. While this book was still plenty entertaining, it did not quite hold the up to its predecessor. It is still a good book, just not quite as good. We get some lingering questions
Kathy
Feb 26, 2013 Kathy rated it liked it
Setting: fortress at Hurog; High King’s palace and asylum; fortress of Orstonia; Hurog’s temple grounds;

Theme: Honor; freedom; love; right over wrong

Characters:
Ward, ruler of Hurog: first book he apparently defeated the 5 Kingdom’s enemy by freeing the Hurog dragon (who had been enslaved to the Hurog’s for generations), and by pulling on Hurog’s magic and destroying the fortress; his father abused him, and bound his magic – he was able to draw on Orag/dragon’s magic, and started to unbind the ma
Joy
May 05, 2017 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
This is a great series! Joe Manganiello does a great job reading this book. I'm just sad it is only a two book series. I would highly recommend it if you enjoy fantasy adventure books. But if you are not a fan of violence then this may not be a series for you.

I would love to see these two books made into movies!
NancyHelen
May 29, 2017 NancyHelen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
I think I enjoyed this second book more than the first, although it felt a little long. But because I knew the characters and the world, I found myself more immersed in it. What a pity this was just a two book series!
Stasybg
May 11, 2017 Stasybg rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I am now certain that I will read everything Patricia Briggs cares to write!
Kerry
Jul 03, 2016 Kerry rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, fantasy, 8, 2008
It's been a long time since I read the first book in this series, Dragon Bones, and sadly (as is often the case with me) I didn't remember a lot of the details. Fortunately, the absolute basics were there. Ward, who has been pretending to be a simpleton to protect himself from his father's wrath, must prove his sanity and capabilities when he inherits. He also has to save a dragon, break a curse and defeat invaders.

Equally fortunately, Briggs makes a point to remind the reader of all the importa
Ashley
Mar 13, 2017 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Love everything by Briggs. This duology was a great series. The characters were interesting and real. Was caught by the first page
Argus
May 16, 2013 Argus rated it liked it
Do you like odd ramblings that are only tangentially related to a book review? Good. Come with me on this journey.

For those of you with experience playing D&D, or any other tabletop RPG, you may know how a long running campaign will usually work out. You and your party all start out ready to kick in the door to the dragon's lair and kill him for possession of that one artifact you really need for some quest-related reason. But along the way, you go through a village that needs saving. One of
Jacey
Mar 10, 2012 Jacey rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
This is the follow up to Dragon Bones, set four years later. Ward is now twenty-three and rebuilding Hurog keep after the devastation caused in the final confrontation with the invading Vorsag in Dragon Bones. He’s seeking the quiet life after his brief spell as a hero and he’s comfortable in his lordship. All the family suspicions from the previous book have been ironed out and his uncle and cousins support him wholeheartedly. But Ward’s position as ‘Hurogmeten’ still has not been officially ra ...more
Hellread
Jul 21, 2015 Hellread rated it liked it
The book continues pretty much the same way the first one did. It's missing something. There are missed opportunities. The plot just comes across as mundane. The writing is occasionally subpar. It just doesn't hold the attention and is easy to put down.

The book should have stayed and focused on the main plot and devices or it should have properly expanded on the world. Otherwise it feels like an incomplete attempt -- too much going on in too little space.

Again, too many things are spelled out to
Nadir
Jul 06, 2008 Nadir rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
The second of the Hurog duology, this novel follows four years after Dragon Bones, covering the political fallout of what happened in the first novel. The King’s writ was never rescinded so Ward gets carted off to an insane asylum and civil war looms.

Again, Mrs Briggs takes a cliché of the fantasy genre and writes it well. Her characters are skilfully portrayed, each with their own personality, strengths and weaknesses.

The story’s POV is mainly focused on Ward but occasionally jumps to Tisala,
Sbuchler
Mar 22, 2010 Sbuchler rated it really liked it
Genre: High Fantasy

This was much more addictive then _Dragon Bones_ (the previous novel of the duology). I’m not quite sure why… it may be that relationships are much more central to the story. The relationship between Oreg and Ward is not nearly so one-sided; in _Dragon Bones_ it was entirely Ward protecting Oreg. In _Dragon Blood_ that tendency on Ward’s part sparks conflict between them, making theirs is a more believable (if more conflicted) relationship. Also, the focus on Tisala and the ro
Miss Clark
Lokke
Jun 07, 2013 Lokke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I think that I loved the first book more, and there were things that I was hoping for from this book that didn't happen. But still, I think that it was very good.

I love all the characters and wish there were more books about them. I don't know if there are any planned, I'm assuming there aren't, but I would pick them up in an instant if there were!

This book picks up a few years after the events in the first book. All of the characters have changed slightly, but it makes sense
Steven Allen
Dec 11, 2016 Steven Allen rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-to-go, not-kept
Jennifer Provost
May 03, 2009 Jennifer Provost rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent. It picks up about four years after the events in Dragon Bones, and we find Ward, now the Hurogmeten, in the midst of rebuilding his keep. His day is consumed with masonry and ironwork until Tisala, the warrior maiden with whom he had been enamored since they fought side-by-side against the Vorsag, shows up on his land. Ward is horrified to learn that she's been brutally tortured, and intrigued that she's involved in a plot to free the high king's brother from the Asylum. ...more
Grace
Sep 26, 2013 Grace rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Would really like to give this 4.5 stars, it was good but not quite as good as the previous book. Still 100% worth reading though, especially if you enjoyed 'Dragon Bones'.
It has more of a focus on romance than the previous book, although it is not the primary focus, and it certainly wasn't intrusive. It's also quite a bit darker in many aspects, and includes torture and rape, although the latter is never explicitly detailed, only mentioned.
As always, the characters were great, and very distin
  • Song of the Beast
  • The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2)
  • Lost Truth (Truth, #4)
  • Cast In Courtlight (Chronicles of Elantra #2)
  • The Hero Strikes Back (Hero, #2)
  • Penric's Demon (Penric and Desdemona, #1)
  • Devlin's Luck (Sword of Change, #1)
  • Fortune and Fate (Twelve Houses, #5)
  • Covenants (Borderlands, #1)
  • The Serpent Sea (Books of the Raksura #2)

Patricia Briggs was born in Butte, Montana to a children’s librarian who passed on to her kids a love of reading and books. Patricia grew up reading fairy tales and books about horses, and later developed an interest in folklore and history. When she decided to write a book of her own, a fantasy book seemed a na
More about Patricia Briggs...

Hurog (2 books)
  • Dragon Bones (Hurog, #1)

“A man says a lot of things in summer he doesn't mean in winter.” 457 likes