Start by marking “Dagger Magic (Adept #4)” as Want to Read:
Dagger Magic (Adept #4)

Dagger Magic (Adept #4)

Adam Sinclair, the Adept, faces mankind's most dire threat--a cult older than Christianity, with the power to resurrect a new, demonic Third Reich.
Published February 1st 1996 by Ace (first published 1995)

Josh
Dec 07, 2007 Josh rated it liked it
The re-read continues, as I got sucked into this series again.

There's some fun stuff here, with the introduction of some Eastern esoteric traditions and Buddhist thurbas. Nazis, of course, always make the perfect villains, so those ties certainly ramp up the threat, even if what we're actually seeing has more to do with historical Nazis ties to occultism rather than anything to do with a modern ideological affinity.

There's a secondary plot thread that resonates nicely as a counter-point to the p
Christy Ford
Dec 09, 2009 Christy Ford rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who like the earlier books, and want to stop.
The previous books in this series certainly aren't literature, but they're passable enough as light reading.

This one? Well, this one's a mess.

The general feeling of the book is that the author(s) are just phoning it in. It really doesn't introduce any new ideas or character points from the previous ones, and just feels like the characters are going through the same old motions once again. What few new concepts are invented seem tangential to the plot, hastily thought out, and often internally in
Lianne Burwell
Mar 31, 2013 Lianne Burwell rated it it was ok
Shelves: reread, urban-fantasy
After the previous book being a stand-alone break, this one returns to Francis Raeburn, the lead villain of the first two books. And the plot?

Evil Nazi Buddhist monks. Seriously.

Okay, and there was a b-plot that was completely unrelated and seemed to come from the need to take a story of more novella length and make it novel length. Really, this book is more a novella and a short story smashed together, and they didn't really fit. Enjoyable, but not much more.

So, one more book in my reread of th
Nicholas Whyte
Apr 08, 2009 Nicholas Whyte rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012, sf, set, in, ireland, xh, 1209, books, i, won-t, finish
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/2001339.html[return][return]Starts with Irish coastguards discovering a long-wrecked Nazi submarine and being promptly murdered by sinister Asian monks. Then we shift across the water to Scotland where the police are aided by a psychic order of nobility linked to the Templars (and white so therefore not sinister). The first line of page 72 is, "At the heart of the Inner Planes lay the Akashic Records" - and at that point I decided I could read no further. Sorry, lif ...more
Julia
Jan 26, 2012 Julia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the previous books in the Adept series. They combined the right blend of history/occult for my tastes. This one, unfortunately, was marred by bad copyediting with typos and dropped words. I enjoyed the scenes between Peregrine and Julia; she finally came alive in this book, rather than the angelic cypher of the earlier books. But it was a slog to get through.
Gail
Jan 26, 2013 Gail rated it liked it
Really enjoy this story, but not as much as the previous books. It tends to drag a bit as it crosses previously covered territory. The characters remain interesting and their continuing development does assure that I will read the next book in the series.
Devi
Feb 08, 2014 Devi rated it liked it
This is the fourth volume of the series. While a descent read I don't feel it is as good as the previous volumes

Katharine Ott
Jan 18, 2016 Katharine Ott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"Dagger Magic" - written by Katherine Kurtz and published in 1995 by Penguin Group. An enjoyable continuation of the Adept series.
Michele Bariani
Carino se vi piacciono i gialli esoterici, ma la trama è un po' deboluccia e molte scene sembrano un incrocio tra Harry Potter e Holly & Benj. Non credo leggerò altro di questa autrice.
Maggie
Dec 09, 2015 Maggie rated it liked it
I don't remember this book in particular but I know I liked it because I'm continuing to read more of Katherine Kurtz
Kelly
Nov 11, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it
Fighting evil and magic in Scotland. Tons of fun and excitement.
P. Hightower
P. Hightower rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2017
Jinx
Jinx rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2009
Walt Rees
Walt Rees rated it really liked it
May 16, 2011
Tracey Nash
Tracey Nash rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2013
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Lisa H.
Lisa H. rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2011
Natalia Corres
Natalia Corres rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Stephanie Leong
Stephanie Leong rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2009
Jim Mellen
Jim Mellen rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
May 13, 2011
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2011
John Magna
John Magna rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2007
Kiri
Kiri rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2008
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2011
April
April rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2011
Gail
Gail rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2013
  • Demon Lover
  • Ars Magica
  • Jinx High (Diana Tregarde, #3)
  • Photographing Fairies
  • Brisingamen
  • Guardians of the Tall Stones
  • Thorn (Dracula Series, #4)
  • Homecoming: Earth (Omnibus) (Homecoming Saga, #4-5)
  • Carthage Ascendant (Book of Ash, #2)
  • Dog Wizard (Windrose Chronicles, #3)
  • Today We Choose Faces
  • The Final Planet
  • The Serpent Came to Gloucester
  • Flight of the Raven (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #7)
  • Return to Paradise
19475
Katherine Kurtz is American fantasy novel writer. She is best known for her Deryni series. She currently lives in Virginia.
More about Katherine Kurtz...

Adept (5 books)
  • The Adept  (Adept #1)
  • The Lodge of the Lynx (Adept #2)
  • The Templar Treasure (Adept #3)
  • Death of an Adept (Adept, #5)