Start by marking “In the King's Service (The Childe Morgan #1)” as Want to Read:
In the King's Service (The Childe Morgan #1)

In the King's Service (The Childe Morgan #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  697 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In this first book of an all-new Deryni trilogy, New York Times bestselling author Katherine Kurtz takes readers back in time--before King Kelson's bride...before King Kelson's birth... when the magical Deryni blood was sought by the most powerful men and women in the kingdom of Gwynedd. Back when a man named Donal ruled over all. ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 370 pages
Published December 28th 2004 by Ace (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about In the King's Service, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the King's Service

Linda
I went back to read this first book in the series and though Kurtz still isn't shy about killing her characters off in creative ways, I can't quite connect with this series the way I used to. Though entertaining, it almost feels like she's going through the motions in filling in the history between the Camber books and Kelson. Worth reading for fans, but not as compelling as the earlier works were.
Fantasy Literature
In the King's Service is the beginning of a new trilogy which details the recent history of the kingdoms that led to the events of her original series focusing on King Kelson, Alaric, et. al. (beginning with Deryni Rising). Though I suppose it could be read independently, I certainly wouldn't recommend it and advise people new to this world to start with her first trilogy (or possibly go chronologically starting with the Camber series depending on taste).

For most of us long-time readers of Kathe
Margaret
Another book that was relatively unsuccessfully stuffed into the confines of an existing plotline. Also, I really wish that Kurtz would have just started with one book and kept writing about the same characters until she inevitably killed them off. What happened to all the characters in the last book in the series?
Kevin
I used to really enjoy this series, and I still do enjoy occasionally rereading the earlier works. However, the "Childe Morgan" trilogy is just dull. It reads like a poorly written history text, with only the slightest attempts at genuine plot or characterization. Very disappointing.
Deb Elliott
I am a long time fan of this world, but this book was by far my least favorite. Why? It was very slow and the characters less than compelling. Who wants to read a book where a major plot point is sending preteen girls to a convent for education? In places it read like a history text and relied far too heavily on lush description of rituals that rarely moved the story forward. Like a previous reviewer, I feel like this book's purpose was to fill in the history between a previous series and this n ...more
Sverre
This is the first novel in the Childe Morgan trilogy, published in 2003. The second novel, Childe Morgan, was published in 2006. The long awaited third (and probably the very last Deryni novel), titled The King’s Deryni, is due to be released in December, 2014. This is the seventh book in the sixteen-book Deryni saga orchestrated by Katherine Kurtz if read chronologically. Some of the books are out of print but readily available through used book sellers and via Amazon.

When compared to the previ
I was browsing the shelves of Half-Price Books, not looking for anything in particular, when I spotted a book by Katherine Kurtz which I hadn't read. Looking at the spine, I couldn't determine if it would be a Deryni book or, dare I hope, an addition to her murder series, maybe even a gargoyle book. It was a Deryni book!
In the King's Service isn't precisely a prequel since it takes place after the Camber series. It describes the birth of Prince Brion who will eventually become King Brion, father
Ronald
Aug 10, 2012 Ronald rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
I loved the early Deryni books but this one, no thanks. It reads like bad Deryni fan-fic.
(view spoiler)
Kerry
In the King's Service is the first in a long-promised trilogy that will tell us about the childhood and youth of my favourite Kelson-time characters, Alaric Morgan and Duncan McLain. Ostensibly, In the King's Service chronicles King Donal Haldane's attempts to ensure his young son, and therefore his kingdom, has a strong protector once he is gone. Around this central thread spin the parents and grandparents of many of the characters from Kelson's time.

This book does suffer the fate of nearly an
Caroline
Paul
It's been almost 15 years since I last visited the Deryni. I prefer to wait until a trilogy is all out before I start, rather than forgetting what happened in the book a couple of years before when the next one comes out.
Set about 30 years prior to the Kelson series, this covers the events that lead up to the birth of Alaric Morgan. The novel itself covers a 10 year timespan with various gaps in the narrative.
I really enjoyed this and it was a pleasure to revisit Gwynedd. This book was more even
Sharon Karpierz
Slow going to start with setting up all of the relationships and lines, but then the plot took off to a satisfying conclusion. It is so very hard to read asbout things that are so treatable today killing people...
Amy Garnica
I loved this world of Deryni twenty years ago. I'm happy to fall back in love with the magic rules, politics, prejudices, characters, and her details of the church.
Craig
This was a decent book, my first time back in the Deryni series in years. It had some long, dull stretches, then something almost inexplicable would happen. I enjoy this universe and have always liked this series, this particular book just seemed a little disjointed to me.
Michael
Disappointing. I've read 12 books in the Deryni Universe, this one makes 13, and is the least of them all. The author's previous books are great. This one feels like it was pulled from being tucked away in a drawer, polished a bit, and then sent to the publisher who did very little editing. I don't even know if it was good, or if it was good because I'm such a fan of the Deryni books. If you're a fan, you'll probably like it to some degree. I'm going to read the next one hoping the groundwork in ...more
Angie
Dec 02, 2014 Angie marked it as ready-to-read
J'aimais bien cette série ado donc voyons ce que cela donne avec le recul...
Rebecca Huston
To be honest, I love Katherine Kurtz's Deryni novels, but her more recent work has been less than satisfying to read. I don't know if she's lost interest, or what. But this one was a limp, palid shadow of her earlier work, telling the story of Alaric Morgan's parents, Kenneth and Richenda. And that's a pity too, as she can write very good novels.

For the complete review, please go here:
Tanya
A rich and well developed look into the personality and cares of Alaric Morgan's mother, Alyce. I love Katherine Kurtz's books and I was not disappointed in this one. As always her characters and settings and rich and well developed. She is not afraid to aproach difficult, contraversial topics.
Jessica
Kurtz takes on the generation before Morgan, Duncan, and then Kelson. I never latched onto these characters as tightly as I did those in her other Deryni books, but that's not to say this isn't a great book, and of course: a must for Deryni fans.
Trish
I get that Katherine Kurtz wanted to put some backstory into the Deryni series, but to me this was too much dynastic duty, death and overarch, but not enough actual story to really get to know the characters.
Candis
most dull boring thing ever. couldnt get into it at all. thankfully there was n.k. jemisin to make up for this uninteresting book.
Converse
A relaxing magical fantasy, set in a sort of alternative medieval Europe.
Eric Jennings
Eric Jennings marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
  • Prophecy (The Blending, #5)
  • The Throne of Scone (The Tales of Aeron, #3)
  • Fire Raiser (Spellbinder, #2)
  • Icefalcon's Quest (Darwath #5)
  • The Seat of Magic (The Golden City, #2)
  • Bastion (Valdemar: Collegium Chronicles, #5)
  • Blackmantle
  • The Night Bird (Lost Continent #5)
  • Silverlock
  • Merlin's Bones
  • Citadels of the Lost (The Annals of Drakis, #2)
  • The Hound and the Falcon
  • The Mislaid Magician: or Ten Years After (Cecelia and Kate, #3)
19475
Katherine Kurtz is American fantasy novel writer. She is most known for her Deryni series.
She currently lives in Virginia.
More about Katherine Kurtz...

The Childe Morgan (3 books)
  • Childe Morgan
  • The King's Deryni (The Childe Morgan, #3)
High Deryni (The Chronicles of the Deryni #3) Camber the Heretic (The Legends of the Camber of Culdi, #3) Deryni Rising (The Chronicles of the Deryni #1) Camber of Culdi (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #1) Saint Camber (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #2)