Three Young Pilgrims

Three Young Pilgrims

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When the Allerton family first steps from the Mayflower after 60 days at sea, they never dream that life in the New World will be so hard. Richly detailed paintings show how the Pilgrims lived through the dark winter and into the busy days of spring, summer, and fall, culminating with the excitement of the original Thanksgiving feast. Full color.
Hardcover
Published September 1st 1995 by Turtleback Books (first published September 30th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Three Young Pilgrims, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Young Pilgrims

Barbara
Nov 22, 2008 Barbara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any American with elementary age children.
The author and illustrator, Cheryl Harness, has created a panorama of paintings that captures the Pilgrim story from the time that three young children, Mary, Remember, and Bartholomew, find themselves in the middle of the ocean on the Mayflower, until Mary’s death in 1699. If your children are visual learners, you’ve got to get this book. The first major painting is a map of the Atlantic Ocean showing the sailing Mayflower with geographical notes tracing the adventures of the Pilgrims from the...more
Heather
This almost felt like two books. There was the story of the Three Young Pilgrims and then there was more detailed information about the Mayflower or the Indians or what have you. I felt like sometimes the story got lost by an interruption of "details". You don't really hear about why they left England until the end of the book, which was a bit odd. We all enjoyed it, however, and the illustrations are fantastic.

There isn't much here that we hadn't already read in another book. But it was a nice...more
NS - Cami Houston
A 3- 5th grade read, it is a very realistic account of a family coming aboard the Mayflower to find new land, hope, and opportunity fueled by the desire to escape religious dictation of England. They came among hundreds to this new place, cold, hungry and hopeful only to have many of them die from the Great Sickness. One family, a husband, wife and their two children, with one on the way, would be broken when the mother and new baby would be among the numbers to die of this unknown illness. Meet...more
Ebookwormy
Lively illustrations complement simple text that follows the Allerton family's pilgrim adventure from the Mayflower through the first few years. Detailed captioning and labeling makes for layouts that beg to be explored by young readers.

A solid work that forms a lovely contrast to "Three Ships Came Sailing", though this one is far more engaging.
Patricia
An annual November personal re-read (often aloud)! We all come from generations that made difficult choices that they thought were best for their family at some point. They took risks and in doing so changed the story or history of the future generations in their families. There is a ton of historical info packed into this well illustrated book. I find that sharing a little more of the info each year as children grow and mature allows them to enjoy this reading as they are able and interested.
This book is so full of information that it seems much more non-fiction then fiction. It is based on historical records, and in places seems just as clear and interesting as reading facts and figures. So and so died, so and so didn't make it through the winter, the boat trip took this many days. I didn't feel like it made the pilgrim experience come to life.
Amy Carr
I love this piece of historical fiction that takes a close, personal look at the Pilgrim's first year in Plymouth through the eyes of one of the families seeking for religious and political freedom. The whole book has a very "pilgrim" feel from the writing to the illustrations. It is very informative and interesting! Great piece of historical writing!
Ruth Hinds
This is a a beautiful book! Our favorite book about the pilgrims so far. The story is historically accurate and sweet. The paintings are what made us fall in love with it. We also loved the last 4 pages, which teach about Plymouth, the Saints, the Strangers, and the Indians. We really felt like we got to know the real life people better through this book.
Matthew
This covers what it was to be a pilgrim about as well as most kids are ready to handle. There are numerous asides that don''t lend well to a read aloud scenario, but might be interesting to a Magic School Bus book fan. Same idea. Good book for older elementary audiences.
Teri
Story told from point of view of the three young Allerton children who were on the Mayflower. Very good--I really appreciate the writing style. The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is all the extra writing in some of the illustrations makes the book appear much too busy.
Sarah Whitney
This one is for older, elementary-age children ... a little too old for my children right now. But it is wonderful; I enjoyed it tremendously. A worthwhile read even for the adults who want a beautifully illustrated abridged account of the pilgrims and their journey.
Tanya W
I really liked this book and the history. My kids weren't as keen on it as I was. I have to agree with Teri that the little written notes made some of the pages busy... I think some of that info would have been better in a more organized format in end notes.
Cheryl
I like this heavily illustrated history in a storybook form. The Allertons sailed to Plymouth on the Mayflower. Loaded with info on ship, Indians, names and info of "saints and strangers", heavily researched. non-fiction/fiction blend
Sally
I bought this book on my first trip to Washington, D.C. at the American History Museum Bookstore. Each page is filled with additional information other than the "story." One of my favorite Thanksgiving picture books.
Lindsey Feldpausch
There was a lot of information in this book with very expressive pictures. However, there was a lack of coherence to the story which left my kids somewhat confused on what the author was trying to share.
Tasha
Nov 08, 2012 Tasha rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6+ year olds
Younger children could enjoy the pictures in the book, but the amount of text and information make it seem to me to be geared towards slightly older children, maybe 6 or 7 plus.
In addition to the story, this book is filled with facts about the Pilgrims, such as some of their names, dates, events etc. Christmas is mentioned once in the book.
Andrea Adrian
I bought this for my children. It is the story of the Allerton children. Remember Allerton is their 11th great grandmother.
Danielle
A great book for an elementary age child, the pictures are so interesting
Monique
The story was lost in a sea of historical data.
Lee
Lee added it
Sep 11, 2014
Rachelle Byrd
Rachelle Byrd marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Just for You to Know Mary Walker Wears the Pants: The True Story of the Doctor, Reformer, and Civil War Hero The Revolutionary John Adams Remember the Ladies: 100 Great American Women The Amazing Impossible Erie Canal (Aladdin Picture Books)