Start by marking “Digital Culture, Play, and Identity: A World of Warcraft Reader” as Want to Read:
Digital Culture, Play, and Identity: A World of Warcraft Reader

Digital Culture, Play, and Identity: A World of Warcraft Reader

Exploring 'World of Warcraft' as both cultural phenomenon and game, with contributions from writers and researchers who have immersed themselves in the WoW gameworld, this study examines such things as how WoW reflects the real world, its construction of gender and its treatment of death.
Published May 1st 2008 by MIT Press (MA) (first published April 18th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Digital Culture, Play, and Identity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digital Culture, Play, and Identity

Michael Scott
A World of Warcraft Reader is a collection of academic analyses of World of Warcraft (WoW), one of the most popular Massively Multiplayer Online Games and Virtual Worlds of the 2000s. Each analysis is the result of an academic person combining hands-on, long-term experience in playing WoW with personal research focus; thus, the book comprises several (mostly unrelated) studies on textual analysis, gender, space and architecture, interactive narrative, (post-)colonialism (why, oh, why?!), quest s ...more
Nyssa
Apr 06, 2013 Nyssa rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, gaming
I do appreciate that the authors in this volume took time to actually play the game they study. I felt that rather than just reading about it, their experiences in this world would lead to a greater understanding the complexity of the game, and the awesome fun too. I did find, however, that while quite a few essays are well written but out of date (as is likely to happen, especially in such an expanding field as gaming), some others got on my nerves as I didn’t feel any belief in what the author ...more
Shannon
Sep 20, 2012 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A few of the articles in this book are thought provoking and interesting. Unfortunately there were a few that didn't really impress me. I felt that a couple articles didn't make that much of an outstanding point. Another downside to this book is the fact that it is out-of-date. That, of course, can't be helped as it was published just after the release of Burning Crusade. However, the fact that it's now dated tends to impact the reading of this book.
Diane Krawczak
Mar 25, 2009 Diane Krawczak rated it really liked it
Written by academics that play WoW. They made some observations that were quite interesting-Almost legitimizes wow, made it relevant in real life.

Note: This was a library book that I had to skim through the last chapters because it was due and I could not renew it because another had requested it. I plan on getting it from the library again or buying my own copy.
Trevor
Aug 29, 2008 Trevor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: games
An excellent resource for anyone interested in how World of Warcraft is both reflecting and directing the culture(s) that produced it. Shane Hinton and I recorded a full review of the book for our games podcast First Wall Rebate (firstwallrebate.com); look for the review episode to appear there within the next couple of weeks.
Timothy
Jan 11, 2012 Timothy rated it liked it
Most of these essays seem a little shallow, but nearly each of them make an interesting point or two. While this book isn't amazing, most of the work contained is better than is the norm for this sort of literature.
Jonathan Cassie
Apr 08, 2012 Jonathan Cassie rated it really liked it
Interesting ethnographic articles about various aspects of how players and programmers create and maintain identity, play and a sense of verisimilitude in World of Warcraft. A good read for people interested in culture, digital culture, world-building and MMOs.
Mikayla
Mikayla rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2017
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Pewter
Pewter rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Joy..Zhuang
Joy..Zhuang rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2011
Leah Comiskey
Leah Comiskey rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Gemma Thomson
Gemma Thomson rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2009
Michael J
Michael J rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it did not like it
Mar 02, 2013
Rasmus K.K.
Rasmus K.K. rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
Erica M
Erica M rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2010
Jam
Jam rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2008
Derek Zoetewey
Derek Zoetewey rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2012
Marc
Marc rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2012
Cameron Kyle
Cameron Kyle rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Cat
Cat rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2011
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2013
Peter Beaumont
Peter Beaumont rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2012
Andrew Fallows
Andrew Fallows rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2015