Start by marking “Growing Up Fast” as Want to Read:
Growing Up Fast

Growing Up Fast

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  126 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Growing Up Fast tells the life stories of Shayla, Jessica, Amy, Colleen, Liz, and Sheri--six teen mothers whom Joanna Lipper first met in 1999 when they were enrolled at the Teen Parent Program in Pittsfield, Massachusetts. Less than a decade older than these teen parents, she was able to blend into the fabric of their lives and make a short documentary film about them. Ov ...more
Published November 1st 2004 by Picador (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Growing Up Fast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Up Fast

Kirsten
May 26, 2015 Kirsten rated it really liked it
About teen pregnancy, in beautiful Pittsfield MA. I've been meaning to read this book *forever*, based on the subject material and proximity to places I know. Now that I live here, it seemed like time to do it. Um. Highly depressing. She basically tells the stories of 6 teen moms, mostly in their own words. Abuse, drugs, lack of opportunities, missed opportunities, dysfunction, dysfunction, dysfunction..... A good depiction of what it's like to be stuck in a town that's going nowhere, and going ...more
Megan
Jan 19, 2016 Megan rated it it was amazing
This was a really interesting and enlightening account of teenage mothers. It shed some light on how these bright women get into the situation and how they cope with the enormous challenges. It taught me a lot.
Holly
May 26, 2014 Holly rated it really liked it
At times really hard to read, but an eye opening book.
Elina Bravve
May 28, 2009 Elina Bravve rated it it was amazing
Basically about teen motherhood. However, I enjoyed it because it was about economic opportunity (or lack thereof) in a former industrial city that was the victim of changing tides, globalization and so forth. After GE left, the workforce couldn't adjust, drugs entered into the picture as soon as poverty did...and a working class community became increasingly chaotic. The author offered few solutions, though she did capture the sense of hopelessness quite well. It captures a moment in American h ...more
Erika
Oct 01, 2011 Erika rated it really liked it
A compilation of teenagers who became parents. At times overwhelmingly depressing, the book is full of wisdom and courage that the young women share. Their struggles are so incredibly hard, and they exhibit strength well beyond their tender years. This is a book that all of us need to read, so that we meet teenage mothers with the compassion and respect they deserve.
Jeanna Mastrodicasa
I found this to be a really fascinating book mostly because it is set in my hometown of Pittsfield, Mass. I recognized many of the places and even some of the service providers. It also included a pretty good description of the community and the levels of despair and pessimism related to the economy there. A quick and slightly depressing book but very fascinating.
Raylene Roberts
Nov 11, 2012 Raylene Roberts rated it it was amazing
Since i grew up in Pittsfield, I thought this would be an interesting read. I was right. The stories of these 6 young girls at times made me feel sympathetic at times for them but also anger at their sometimes lack of taking responsibility for their lives. It made me realize how an environment can play such a large part in shaping the lives of all of us.
Heather Lauren
Apr 26, 2012 Heather Lauren rated it it was ok
I had to read this for my sociology class and it was way better than I thought it would be. I enjoyed the stories of each girl and seeing how they are getting their life together. I think for a school reading assignment it could have been much worse and for the book itself, each girls story could have been more depressing.
Monica
Dec 28, 2010 Monica rated it really liked it
read this for my work PLC group...very interesting book looking into the lives of teen mothers and the struggles of the families...very work related..very well written...would recommend to others who work with teenagers, other social workers.
Rhonda
Sep 20, 2010 Rhonda rated it really liked it
I found this book to be very interesting. It gives a pretty depressing picture of what can happen in economically depressed areas. It also gave some insight into the girls' and their families' thoughts.
Tammy
Mar 13, 2008 Tammy rated it liked it
Not exactly cutting edge, but a very interesting profile of girls in difficult situations. If you like sociology and memoirs like me, this is a good read.
Katie
Nov 28, 2011 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Not a type of book I typically read, was basically about teen motherhood in Pittsfield, MA. A real life grittier version of Teen Mom.
Lisa
Jun 02, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
A sad but honest portrayal of teen pregnancy in Pittsfield, MA. Lipper seems to really understand the reasons for the city's issue.
Elizabeth Lund
Loved the stories. Tough teen moms making it in a hard world. Most were luckier than some--graduated, not on drugs
Elizabeth Michael
Feb 03, 2008 Elizabeth Michael rated it really liked it
Another must if you teach or in any way work with or interact with young people on a regular basis.
Lee
Nov 28, 2009 Lee marked it as to-read
still trying to read it - started but got distracted and read something else
Kim
Apr 14, 2007 Kim rated it really liked it
Teenage mothers in Pittsfield, MA - after GE abandoned the town.
Carrie Pirmann
sociology
Perettiamanda
Perettiamanda marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Taylor Conroyd
Taylor Conroyd marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Lisa CJ
Lisa CJ rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
LB Klein
LB Klein marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Hattie
Hattie rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Jennifer Lewis
Jennifer Lewis marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
C
C marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Jessie Szmanda
Jessie Szmanda is currently reading it
Mar 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Without a Net: Middle Class and Homeless (with Kids) in America
  • Ghettonation: A Journey Into the Land of Bling and the Home of the Shameless
  • Hating Women: America's Hostile Campaign Against the Fairer Sex
  • Teenage Wasteland: Suburbia's Dead End Kids
  • An Intimate History of Killing: Face-to-Face Killing in Twentieth Century Warfare
  • American Dream: Three Women, Ten Kids, and a Nation's Drive to End Welfare
  • Fixing Broken Windows: Restoring Order And Reducing Crime In Our Communities
  • Sex, Drugs and DNA: Science's Taboos Confronted
  • Lost Boys: Why Our Sons Turn Violent and How We Can Save Them
  • Bad Girls & Wicked Women: The Most Powerful, Shocking, Amazing, Thrilling and Dangerous Women of All Time
  • Is Bill Cosby Right?: Or Has the Black Middle Class Lost Its Mind?
  • The Bad Mother