Start by marking “Riot, Risings and Revolution: Governance and Violence in Eighteenth-century England” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Riot, Risings and Revo...
Ian Gilmour

Britain in the eighteenth century was deeply divided; riots over politics, food and religion were endemic. Despite the relative liberty of English institutions; the penal code was the harshest in Europe - stealing a hankerchief was a capital offence. In this brilliant history of the hidden side of the eighteenth century, Ian Gilmour argues that violence usually stemmed fro ...more
Published October 27th 1992 by Hutchinson (first published April 2nd 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Riot, Risings and Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riot, Risings and Revolution

Aug 09, 2016 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I've tended to think of eighteenth century England being relatively peaceful but there's plenty of evidence here to the contrary. Also, of course, we were quite often at war: in Europe and then with our American colony.

The Hanoverians were unpopular after “good” Queen Anne and if the young Pretender and his followers had not been so inept they could well have carried the country with them.

Lots of riots and rebellions – election riots, food riots, industrial riots. Riots against the Establishment
Jen Pattison
Jun 14, 2016 Jen Pattison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
This book helped me enormously whilst I was studying for History A Level. It gave me a flavour of English society in the 18th century, it is well written and interesting to read.
Richard Thomas
Jun 02, 2015 Richard Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-history
A good and very well written account of the instability of 18th century Britain.
Kadie marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
Arjun rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
David Emery McKown
David Emery McKown marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Andrew marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Noel Hourican
Noel Hourican rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2015
John R
John R marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Diana Kevorkian
Diana Kevorkian rated it liked it
May 26, 2014
Kadie Gray
Kadie Gray rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Shelley marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
David Lewis
David Lewis rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2010