Start by marking “One Bright Shining Hope” as Want to Read:
One Bright Shining Hope

One Bright Shining Hope

4.62 of 5 stars 4.62  ·  rating details  ·  992 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Great Mother's Day present.
Published January 1st 2006 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about One Bright Shining Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Bright Shining Hope

Nancy Beard
This book uplifts the women soul. He gives counsel and demonstrates the love Heavenly Fathers has for us . It's small, but what love was put into i.t
Melissa
President Hinckley just knows how to make women of the world feel special. I enjoy reading this because I know that I am worth something.
Teri
I have had this book for a long time and finally decided to read it. I should read it regularly. Hopeful, inspirational quotes from Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley that focus on women. A few favorites: "I have discovered that life is not a series of great heroic acts. Life at its best is a matter of consistent goodness and decency, doing without fanfare that which needed to be done when it needed to be done. I have observed that it is not geniuses that make the difference in this world. I have observed ...more
Nicole
Feb 09, 2008 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Women everywhere
Love these thoughts from Pres. Hinckley. Recently pulled it out again to remember how much he valued women and our role as mothers. I miss him.
"This is a season to be strong. It is a time to move forward without hesitation, knowing well the meaning, the breadth, and the importance of our mission. It is a time to do what is right regardless of the consequences that might follow. It is a time to be found keeping the commandments. It is a a season to reach out with kindness and love to those in di
Christina
This is a simple collection of quotes accompanied by absolutely beautiful photographs. It probably aught to be read slowly - a quote or two at a time - rather than devoured in one sitting the way I did it. I'm sure I would have gotten more out of the quotes if I took them slowly.

Some of my favorites:
"Rise to the great potential within you. I do not ask that you reach beyond your capacity. I hope you will not nag yourselves with thought of failure. I hope you will not try to set goals far beyond
Jeannie
I love this little book! I read through it twice this time before I considered it a complete read. Then I went through again to ponder the messages that I marked as particularly relevant for me. President Hinckley always had such an amazing way of teaching the women of the Church how important we are. This little book contains some of his best thoughts and messages concerning women. On pages 6 and 7, President Hinckley is talking about the creation and says,"Then as His final creation, the crown ...more
Tawny
Favorite lines:
1. "Life is not a series of great heroic acts. Life at its best is a matter of consistent goodness and decency, doing without fanfare that which needed to be done" (24).
2. "He who is our Eternal Father has blessed you with miraculous powers of mind and body. He never intended that you should be less than the crowning glory of His creations" (51).
3. "You need never feel inferior. You need never feel that you were born without talents or without opportunities to give them expression
Ashley
I love President Hinckley!

"Let us be happy people. The Lord's plan is a plan of happiness. The way will be lighter, the worries will be fewer, the confrontations will be less difficult if we cultivate a spirit of happiness."
Patience
Meh. I'm very seen much better quotes on the subject. It's just a novelty book.
Rebekah Quick
I really enjoyed it.
Reanna Tuft
This book brought me to tears. Hinkley was such a great man who really knew how love and respect women. I've been struggling with the challenges of being a LDS mother...I loved this book, the inspirational quotes from scripture and thoughts from Pres. Hinkley and the beautiful pictures just made me have a more positive outlook on life and better attitude towards my callings and many responsibilities. I would recommend this book to EVERY LDS woman.
Afton
I love President Hinckley. I think one of the legacies he left with me is all the encouragement he gave the women of the church. He always shared that he knew we were doing a great job as mothers, wives, and sisters, but asked if we could strive to be a little better. The quotes are taken from talks he has given over the years and are paired with beautiful photos on each page. A book that could be easily read over and over. A gem of a book!
Lisa
Feb 25, 2009 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Steve & Rachel
My brother and sister-in-law bought me this for Christmas. I just read it last night and it was wonderful. It is a short, quick read (about 1/2 hour) which is nice because I can re-read it just about any time I want to (which I plan to do). It has gorgeous pictures and the messages from President Hinckley and so uplifting for women!

For anyone on my friends list (or in the ward), you are more than welcome to borrow my copy :)
Liz
Jan 14, 2008 Liz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all women
This is a WONDERFUL book to read. It's just a compilation of quotes from Gordon Hinckley. He's such an inspiration to so many (including me). And there's gorgeous photography with each quote on every page! Every woman needs to have her own copy or read it at least once in her life. It's especially great to read on "hard days" because it's edifying and uplifting! He speaks truthfully of the positive role of womanhood. Enjoy!
Jessica
I love this book. I received it as a gift. I would pick it up and read a few quotes a day. There were many difficult days at that point in my life and many nights, the words in this book brought peace and comfort to my heart. I loved President Hinckley. The pictures on each page are beautiful.
Cheryl
Shocking for an LDS person to not rate highly a book by a former President of their Church, but I do not like these kind of books which string together some pretty thoughts but really do not take you anywhere new. It feels exploitive, to me. Lovely pictures, but not a strong message that will change me because I have picked up this book.
Brenda
I read this in just a few minutes one afternoon. It was uplifting. There were some quotes in here that really made me want to be a better woman. After reading it, I thought that this was a book i should read on occasion to inspire myself and help me rememeber the kind of person I can be.
Vicki
I love this book. It has the smallest simplest comments, that seem to hit the spot just when i need it to. I keep it in my car and frequently flip through it when I have some wait time. This is a book you will refer to again and again. I would highly recommend having your own copy.
Jessica

I love President Hinckley! This book is filled with quotes from President Hinckley's ministry, specifically geared toward women. It has been beautifully done, with lovely photographs to accompany the quotations, and the quotes are inspirational and uplifting. I love this book!
Danni
Like a voice from the dust President Hickley is still counseling and helping. I love that man he meant so much to me. I was so sad when he died. I love President Monson as well but not in the same way. For years President Hinckley was the church to me.
Stacey
This is an inspiring book for women. I read this and truly believed every word that President Hinckley said. We are blessed as women to know of our divinity and importance in the kingdom of God....all we have to do is believe it and live it!
Lauren
Okay, this is one of my all time favorites. It is simple and sweet. President Hinckley has such a love and understanding of women as a whole. His words in this little book remind me just how awesome it is to be a daughter of God.
Gayla
Don't you just love those books that make you feel good about yourself and remind you of what your potential is. Short and sweet. I put this one next to my cozy chair and occasionally review my favorite quotes when I need a dose of hope.
Christine
I come to this book time after time. When I feel discouraged or simply bereft of all strength. We make life more complex and needlessly difficult then need be; It's really so simple. Great little book for any women of any faith.
Keli Wright
Jun 12, 2008 Keli Wright rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone, I told Kathy to read it on the airplane, she said she would read the BOM instead:)
Recommended to Keli by: just saw it in the store
This book came in one day when I was volenteering at the thrift store and I said I WANT THAT BOOK!!!!!!!!!!! It was a really good inspirational read. It would also make a great gift
Marie
I was given this book as a Christmas gift from the girls in my ward while on my mission. I couldn't have asked for a better gift. Very uplifting, would recommend it to ANYONE!
Jana (That Artsy Reader Girl)
Dec 26, 2014 Jana (That Artsy Reader Girl) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any lovely ladies out there.
Shelves: lds, own-hardback
I love Gordon B. Hinckley, so I knew I would love this before I even began. He was always so good at making you feel special. His sweet words make me smile inside.
Jodi
Nov 11, 2012 Jodi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
This is a beautiful book of quotes by President Hinckley. I loved the positive, inspirational messages that give encouragement to work harder to be a better person.
Connie
Great quotes for women from President Gordon B. Hinckley. Makes you feel good about being a woman, and helps you know that doing your best is good enough.
Sharon
A beautiful book full of wonderful quotes. I wish I owned this one. Very much like Sister Hinckley's book, "Small and Simple Things." I loved that one too.
  • Small and Simple Things
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • Not My Will, but Thine
  • 21 Days Closer to Christ
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • Modesty, Makeovers, and the Pursuit of Physical Beauty: What Mothers and Daughters Need to Know
  • Hearing the Voice of the Lord: Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation
  • Our Latter-Day Hymns: The Stories and the Messages
President Hinckley was known, even at the age of 95, as a tireless leader who always put in a full day at the office and traveled extensively around the world to mix with Church members, now numbering nearly 13 million in 171 nations.

His quick wit and humor, combined with an eloquent style at the pulpit, made him one of the most loved of modern Church leaders. A profoundly spiritual man, he had a
More about Gordon B. Hinckley...
Standing for Something: 10 Neglected Virtues That Will Heal Our Hearts and Homes Way to Be!: 9 Rules For Living the Good Life Stand a Little Taller Truth Restored Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley

“Never lose faith in your opportunity to lift those who are in need, to give strength to those who are weak, to give encouragement to those who falter by the way.” 2 likes
“It is so tremendously important that the women of the Church stand strong and immovable for that which is correct and proper under the plan of the Lord. They must begin in their own homes. They can teach it in their classes. They can voice it in their communities. They must be the teachers and the guardians of their daughters. When you save a girl, you save generations. I see this as one bright shining hope in a world that is marching toward moral self-destruction.” 0 likes