Start by marking “Viking Adventure” as Want to Read:
Viking Adventure

Viking Adventure

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  169 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Sigurd, a Viking boy, cannot see the value of learning to read and write. All he can think of is adventure. But then he has an adventure that he cannot help but tell. And to do that, he decides, he must learn to write. A fine story for young readers.
Published January 1st 2000 by Avyx (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Viking Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Viking Adventure

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienWraith by James R. HannibalThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanShadow Catcher by James R. Hannibal
Books for Boys
94th out of 113 books — 15 voters
The Merchant's Daughter by Melanie DickersonThe Fairest Beauty by Melanie DickersonThe Healer's Apprentice by Melanie DickersonWaterfall by Lisa Tawn BergrenThe Golden Braid by Melanie Dickerson
Christian Medieval Reads
168th out of 174 books — 125 voters

More lists with this book...

Hannah
Sigurd's brave Viking father has trained him since toddlerhood to be a strong, bold adventurer. Sigurd's one desire is to fulfill his father's dream and sail to Wineland, that beautiful country discovered by Lief Erikson a hundred years before - not to learn reading and writing from an old bard. But who will take a thirteen year old boy on such a voyage? What dangers lurk in the unknown seas? And what will he learn through it all?

An interesting story with nice pencil illustrations, this book is
Sam Wojtaszek
Adventure is right! There are some very serious morals in this tale along with death of well loved characters that made your eyes grow big with surprise. We also figured out that Wineland is North America, and found on the globe where Norway, Iceland and Greenland are and how far those are from the shores of North America. Great story with a heavy-hearted ending.
Simon Wojtaszek
Heather
I read this out loud to the boys (ages 13, 13, 10, and 7). We all enjoyed it and it was interesting. In retrospect I could have assigned this to the 3 older boys to read and they would have been done with it much faster. The oldest two said it was a little 'babyish' for them. It's a nice discovery of the New World type book, but perhaps not a 'must read'.
Lisa
Oct 12, 2015 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
A chapter book for young readers, this is the story of the Viking boy, Sigurd, who has heard of the legendary Leif the Lucky and his famous voyage to Vinland 100 years earlier, and wants to follow in his footsteps.
Kristine Hansen
I really enjoyed reading this one with my daughter. As advertised in the title, there was a great deal of adventure, with plenty of Vikings. :)

Seriously, it was a fun book, and never got boring. Lots of intrigue and some very interesting themes presented, deep characterization and a lot of intrigue. My daughter was very sad that it ended and immediately asked if there was more. Sadly there isn't and we'll have to get our Viking fix elsewhere.

I'll have to admit, I was a little sad when it was ov
Melanie
Aug 25, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We read this on a family road trip. Even daddy asked me to stop reading while he pumped gas so he wouldn't miss any of the story. It was a fun family read.
Joy
Jan 15, 2016 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've long loved Bulla's American history stories. This story started in Norway but, of course, led to America (Leif E).
Charsia
This was a really exciting book! so much adventure, so much excitement! My brother really liked this book two. I recommend reading this book if you are 8 or older!
Mike
May 19, 2011 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this aloud to Logan... it's got a child protagonist, and some interesting period detail- but also some howling anachronisms... sparsely but aptly illustrated... light on the violence. It was a good read-aloud for my kindergartener, the narrative was lengthy but not overly complex, so we could stop to summarize the plot and make predictions. We also looked at a world map and traced the Viking's route from Norway to Vinland, which Logan correctly deduced was "Canada" on the map. Definitely a ...more
Shannon Forsyth
It was meh. Not too in depth.
Darlene
Jun 07, 2011 Darlene rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I read this book aloud to my daughters.

We enjoyed this book. We have read other Bulla books, and we have not been disappointed yet.

This is a great historical fiction novel to read while studying the Vikings. Sigurd leaves his family behind to sail on a journey to Vineland (what the Vikings called North America).

This book has it all: friendship, treachery, danger, and survival. Tied all together, it is a great adventure!
Apr 24, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
This was a fun easy read aloud (or read to yourself Chapter book) that fit in really well with the unit on Vikings we just completed. The book was really intense, but it was a lot more interesting to my kids than the other viking stories we read because the main character was a child. I think my kids are going to remember this one!
Heather
Jan 10, 2016 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bit dated but there isn't much out there for fictional viking stories for 2-3rd grade.
Andy Craig
Aug 15, 2012 Andy Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the first books I can remember reading. The name escaped me for years but a couple of the scenes stayed with me, and finally, one day, I tracked it down online. Delighted to have it in my collection.
Trace
Luke's Review:

This is book about a young 13 year old Viking who went out on an adventure to a far away land. He learns a lesson from a cousin. It was really exciting to read.
Elaine
Aug 18, 2008 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book! The hero is a young boy, but my daughters loved it. It's set during the time of the Vikings and was a great read-along with our Leif Erickson study.
Jenifer
Sep 03, 2011 Jenifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We are doing a lapbook as we work through reading this. This book is about a young viking boy and daily life. It's opened up a few great conversations.
Rick Davis
My son has been loving Clyde Bulla's books. This is the first one I picked up to read myself, and I can see why he likes them so much.
Jennifer Dunne
This was not one of my daughter's favorites but I thought it was a good. Probably relates to boys more.
Joann10
Nov 08, 2009 Joann10 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The kids are really enjoying this book to go along with our unit on the Vikings.
Squishy
Aug 22, 2013 Squishy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't like reading about Viking stuff.
Tara
Dec 28, 2012 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Titus liked it.
Melissa
Oct 01, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it
Okay.
Cass Hopkin
Cass Hopkin marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Abigail Ford
Abigail Ford marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Ethan Crenshaw
Ethan Crenshaw rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Willow
Willow rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2016
Samantha Campbell
Samantha Campbell marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • Good Queen Bess: The Story of Elizabeth I of England
  • McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm: Three Tall Tales
  • Leif the Lucky
  • Prairie School
  • Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)
  • Clara and the Bookwagon
  • North American Indians
  • The Lewis & Clark Expedition
  • The Apprentice
Born to be a Writer
Almost as far back as he can remember, Clyde Robert Bulla wanted to write. Born on a farm in a small town in Missouri, Mr. Bulla's first school was a one-room country schoolhouse. One day his teacher asked each first grade student what he or she would do with a thousand dollars. Young Clyde answered that he would buy a table. His classmates laughed heartily, and his teacher was
More about Clyde Robert Bulla...