Start by marking “Viking Adventure” as Want to Read:
Viking Adventure

Viking Adventure

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Sigurd, a Viking boy, cannot see the value of learning to read and write. All he can think of is adventure. But then he has an adventure that he cannot help but tell. And to do that, he decides, he must learn to write. A fine story for young readers.
Published January 1st 2000 by Avyx (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Viking Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Viking Adventure

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienWraith by James R. HannibalThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanShadow Catcher by James R. Hannibal
Books for Boys
91st out of 110 books — 14 voters
The Merchant's Daughter by Melanie DickersonHope and the Knight of the Black Lion by Mary C. FindleyKingdom's Dawn by Chuck BlackThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisKingdom's Hope by Chuck Black
Christian Medieval Reads
98th out of 99 books — 71 voters

More lists with this book...

Hannah
Sigurd's brave Viking father has trained him since toddlerhood to be a strong, bold adventurer. Sigurd's one desire is to fulfill his father's dream and sail to Wineland, that beautiful country discovered by Lief Erikson a hundred years before - not to learn reading and writing from an old bard. But who will take a thirteen year old boy on such a voyage? What dangers lurk in the unknown seas? And what will he learn through it all?

An interesting story with nice pencil illustrations, this book is
Heather
I read this out loud to the boys (ages 13, 13, 10, and 7). We all enjoyed it and it was interesting. In retrospect I could have assigned this to the 3 older boys to read and they would have been done with it much faster. The oldest two said it was a little 'babyish' for them. It's a nice discovery of the New World type book, but perhaps not a 'must read'.
Kristine Pratt
I really enjoyed reading this one with my daughter. As advertised in the title, there was a great deal of adventure, with plenty of Vikings. :)

Seriously, it was a fun book, and never got boring. Lots of intrigue and some very interesting themes presented, deep characterization and a lot of intrigue. My daughter was very sad that it ended and immediately asked if there was more. Sadly there isn't and we'll have to get our Viking fix elsewhere.

I'll have to admit, I was a little sad when it was ov
Melanie
We read this on a family road trip. Even daddy asked me to stop reading while he pumped gas so he wouldn't miss any of the story. It was a fun family read.
Mike
Read this aloud to Logan... it's got a child protagonist, and some interesting period detail- but also some howling anachronisms... sparsely but aptly illustrated... light on the violence. It was a good read-aloud for my kindergartener, the narrative was lengthy but not overly complex, so we could stop to summarize the plot and make predictions. We also looked at a world map and traced the Viking's route from Norway to Vinland, which Logan correctly deduced was "Canada" on the map. Definitely a ...more
Shannon Forsyth
It was meh. Not too in depth.
Darlene
I read this book aloud to my daughters.

We enjoyed this book. We have read other Bulla books, and we have not been disappointed yet.

This is a great historical fiction novel to read while studying the Vikings. Sigurd leaves his family behind to sail on a journey to Vineland (what the Vikings called North America).

This book has it all: friendship, treachery, danger, and survival. Tied all together, it is a great adventure!
This was a fun easy read aloud (or read to yourself Chapter book) that fit in really well with the unit on Vikings we just completed. The book was really intense, but it was a lot more interesting to my kids than the other viking stories we read because the main character was a child. I think my kids are going to remember this one!
Andy Craig
One of the first books I can remember reading. The name escaped me for years but a couple of the scenes stayed with me, and finally, one day, I tracked it down online. Delighted to have it in my collection.
Trace
Luke's Review:

This is book about a young 13 year old Viking who went out on an adventure to a far away land. He learns a lesson from a cousin. It was really exciting to read.
Elaine
This is a wonderful book! The hero is a young boy, but my daughters loved it. It's set during the time of the Vikings and was a great read-along with our Leif Erickson study.
Jenifer
We are doing a lapbook as we work through reading this. This book is about a young viking boy and daily life. It's opened up a few great conversations.
Rick Davis
My son has been loving Clyde Bulla's books. This is the first one I picked up to read myself, and I can see why he likes them so much.
Jennifer Dunne
This was not one of my daughter's favorites but I thought it was a good. Probably relates to boys more.
Joann10
The kids are really enjoying this book to go along with our unit on the Vikings.
Squishy
I don't like reading about Viking stuff.
Julie
Julie added it
Jan 30, 2015
Zeke Foster
Zeke Foster marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Jenn Rogers
Jenn Rogers marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Kbo
Kbo marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Julia
Julia added it
Jan 02, 2015
Anna
Anna added it
Jan 01, 2015
Bookworm
Bookworm marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
  • The Journeyman
  • Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess
  • The Little Riders
  • Leif the Lucky
  • Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • Leading Little Ones to God: A Child's Book of Bible Teachings
  • Greek Myths for Young Children
  • Favorite Poems of Childhood
Born to be a Writer
Almost as far back as he can remember, Clyde Robert Bulla wanted to write. Born on a farm in a small town in Missouri, Mr. Bulla's first school was a one-room country schoolhouse. One day his teacher asked each first grade student what he or she would do with a thousand dollars. Young Clyde answered that he would buy a table. His classmates laughed heartily, and his teacher was
More about Clyde Robert Bulla...
Squanto, Friend Of The Pilgrims The Sword in the Tree A Lion to Guard Us Pocahontas And The Strangers The Chalk Box Kid (Stepping Stone Books)