Start by marking “Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia ” as Want to Read:
Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia

Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia (Amelia Bedelia #5)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  2,220 ratings  ·  70 reviews
The lovable, hilarious Amelia Bedelia is back, filling in for a sick player on the Grizzlies baseball team. Watch out! Because nobody plays ball like Amerila Bedelia. Grade 1 - Grade 3
Published January 18th 1996 by HarperCollins (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyDog Days by Jeff KinneyJunie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business by Barbara ParkJunie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren by Barbara ParkJunie B. Jones Is a Graduation Girl by Barbara Park
Good Books For Anyone
52nd out of 62 books — 64 voters
Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinYertle the Turtle and Other Stories by Dr. SeussThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperOh, the Thinks You Can Think! by Dr. Seuss
Story Book Leadership
43rd out of 76 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

HeavyReader
Nov 14, 2008 HeavyReader rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Amelia Bedelia
My boss met Peggy Parish when she (my boss) was a kid! How cool is that! Now she (Peggy Parish) is dead. That makes me a bit sad. Circle of life and all of that, I know, but I wish Peggy were still writing books. (I guess her nephew has taken over the Amelia Bedelia franchise.)

Anyway, this is not my favorite Amelia Bedelia book (that would be the one where she dusts the furniture and draws the drapes), but this one is good. It's pretty hilarious when Amelia Bedelia steals those bases!
Esther
No children's book collection could be complete without Amelia Bedelia! As a kid I was always trying to figure out how Amelia Bedelia would twist the words around or how she would take it literally before I turned the page. She is so funny and lovable. In this book my favorite has always been when Ameila steals the bases and runs home. :)
Casey Trump
Amelia Bedelia takes on playing ball! Oh what will she do now? As always, she keeps young readers gussing as to what she'll get into this time. Predictable in the sense that she's going to do something wrong, bad wrong, but keeps readers interested to find out what.
Seth
I read these books when I was a child, and still have memories of the stupid tales that make me smile. These books are great if you have a child in the family--even more so if you are a child at heart.
Marie
Jul 30, 2008 Marie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 8-14 yrs
Recommended to Marie by: I found it.
Some quirky, silly humor for kids elementary age. I always liked her books and her clueless manner.
Charlie
I've only read this book out of the series, but I can tell Amelia is not just funny in this book.

Do you consider this book for a girl? Well, maybe not exactly. I liked this book and I definitely summarized the book easily. I not going to share on the review because

1. I can't remember it or where it is.

2. It would take forever to type.

I also can't go onto to Word and do copy and paste because I wrote it by hand. Anyways, this is a really good book.
An Odd1
Amelia Bedelia does her best to play baseball for the Grizzlies when Donnie has measles. In the attic, she finds a fancy admiral uniform, then starts cookies to bake. Against the Tornados, she tags Jack, puts Dick out, then grabs and holds second base tight safe against stealing. When everyone yells to run home, she scoops up all the bases and home plate to ensure a win, then speeds all the way to her kitchen for fresh cookies when her team mates arrive to celebrate.

A daisy bedecked hat tops fir
Julie Decker
Amelia Bedelia is back with her tendency to take everything literally! In this book, she actually steals bases and runs home when she's told to. You can imagine how that goes!

I didn't understand some of the baseball terminology as a child, and I was confused as to why children would want an adult who didn't know how to play on their team at all, but it's still amusing--probably more so for kids who know baseball.
Mark Baker
Baseball gets the Amelia Bedelia treatment as she agrees to help out some neighborhood boys with a game against their cross town rivals. Another funny look at how words can mean multiple things that kids and parents will enjoy.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Mmouse
I loved the Amelia Bedilia books. I've never laughed so hard while reading a book to my daughter.

You know how when you read aloud and your eyes read ahead of what is actually coming out of your mouth, well half the time I was laughing so hard about something before I managed to read it out loud to my daughter. She kept giving me weird looks until I finally managed to read it to her.

It's been quite a few years since I've read the books but I loved every Amelia Bedilia book and plan on getting ah
Rosa Cline
This wasn't as good as the other Amelia Bedelia books. But was still a good one, the boys help teach Amelia Bedelia to play baseball... and as always she gets things switched and turned around. But she has fun doing it and the children reading-listening will giggle along.
Kristine
Ellie's vocabulary is reaching the sweet spot of being able to read most of these on her own and get most if the jokes. I think you can't progress through reading development without reading Amelia Bedelia. Imagine being 8 years old and having to use context to draw meaning out of words with five definitions, I imagine it's pretty frustrating, and Amelia provides a way to turn the frustration into humor and absurdity.

If you haven't seen, there is an online contest every year for kids to produce
Cindi

That lovable and easily-confused maid, Amelia Bedelia is back for another adventure in a Level 2 I Can Read Book. Level 2 books are for children who are beginning to read on their own, but may still need help now and then.

Although not as much of a rib-tickler as some of the Amelia Bedelia books, Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia, is still a fun book for children. It is a great book for a read-aloud or for children to read on their own.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia; book revi
Kaitlyn
I usually find Amelia Badelia books fun and entertaining to read, but this particular one was not as enjoyable as I imagined it to me. The humor was pretty dry and the book did not explain the jokes and instead just moved the story right along, which I think would be confusing for younger students. The story is pretty fast paced and moves right along. The illustrations are very simple and only use a few colors. I think that the pictures could be more text enriched and colorful to interest childr ...more
Hazel
My preschoolers really loved this one--the story was engaging and paced just right for them. My 3rd grader was a bit bored, though.
Abby
I can remember reading this book and looking at the pictures and really, seriously wanting to be one of the kids on the Grizzlies!
Sara
Nobody in an Amelia Bedelia book should ever be named "Dick".
Margaret
This Level 2 early reader featuring the literal Amelia Bedelia is illustrated by Wallace Tripp. These are different than the Amelia Bedelia images I am used to, but still fun and quirky just as is she. The short Amelia Bedelia adventure is good on community and great for a boy reader. This is another of the three books included in the Amelia Bedelia 50th Anniversary Collection.

*Thanks to HarperCollins for providing a copy for review.*
Kaylan Nurse
I really enjoyed this one. Amelia is minding her own business and comes across boys playing baseball. She steps in to play with the team and they give her different positions. Because of her being so literal, she takes everything the boys tell her and does totally wrong! This story could be used in class on a topic of teamwork and working collaboratively with one another.
Shannon Rickert
Her books are the cutest!!
Melissa Gregory
I love all of the Amelia Bedelia books and have ever since i first started reading them when i was younger. This one is one of my top picks because of its classic humor throughout the story. I always love how Amelia takes everything so literally and in this book, when she does it is just pure comedy. This book is easy for the reader to relate to and stay engaged because it is about baseball and that iterests this age group. This is a good read for 1-4th grade.
Swankivy
Oh, Amelia, you and your hijinks. I had a little trouble with this as a kid because I wasn't a baseball fan and I didn't know what the words meant any more than Amelia did in some cases, and I also didn't know why a bunch of kids would really want her to be on their team, but watching her misinterpret "stealing" a base and "running home" was pretty funny. These books do a good job highlighting what a bizarre language we have.
carissa
Recommended Ages: grades 1-2

I Can Read level 2: High-interest stories for developing readers.

The Grizzlies are one player short for their big game when who steps in but everyone's favorite house-keeper, Amelia Bedelia. Always cheerful, always literal-minded, Amelia Bedelia brings new meanings to tagging a player out and stealing bases, but her unorthodox plays may just save the day.
Sharon
Ideal for grades 1-3, this book uses simple language and yet another hilarious Amelia Bedelia story that takes place on the baseball field. Amelia stands and plays for a sick player and oh the interesting things that occur! When Amelia is told to run home, she literally runs home! Nobody plays ball like Amelia Bedelia but can she save the day and help the Grizzlies win their game??
Nivi Krishnakumar
This is an awesome book to do an activity on predicting. This can also be used to teach students how to do text-to-text connections, etc. The students will love this book because it is both engaging and also funny. This book will make them want to listen to the book and also make connections between Amelia Bedelia and themselves.
Erika Conley
Baseball has been revolutionized by Amelia Bedelia, and readers will be quite entertained! This story tells us that even if confused or unsure of something, keeping a positive attitude and trying your best will pay off in the end. Any Amelia Bedelia book is a great one, and this one will keep the audience laughing.
Andd Becker
High-interest book for young readers, with illustrations by Wallace Tripp, can be used in the classroom to teach the concept of taking something literally.
AB looks much older than she appears in earlier AB books. Different illustrator. Students can compare and contrast the artistic renderings.
Theresa
a hilarious story of miss understandings
a great series of mixed up directions and literal meanings, this is a great silly series to show children that mistakes and mix ups are possible if not probable, and that innocence may be more of the reason then meaning to do something wrong/
Emily B
I read this book to my brother and he laughed so hard. When Amelia was supposed to tag Jack she put a name tag on Jack. Also when the team said to meet the ball to bat she ran to the ball and got hit. I think this book is real funny and Amelia can never do anything right!
  • Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia
  • Henry and Mudge and Annie's Perfect Pet (Henry and Mudge, #20)
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Julius
  • Harry and the Lady Next Door
  • Biscuit
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • Little Miss Shy
Peggy Parish was the author of the children's story series Amelia Bedelia. The series was continued, after her sudden death from an aneurysm, by her nephew Herman Parish. Peggy attended the University of South Carolina and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English.

Herman honored Peggy's life in his book, Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia, by writing in its dedication: "For Peggy Parish, the real Am
More about Peggy Parish...
Amelia Bedelia Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower Come Back, Amelia Bedelia Amelia Bedelia Helps Out Good Work, Amelia Bedelia