Start by marking “The Scrambled States of America Talent Show” as Want to Read:
The Scrambled States of America Talent Show

The Scrambled States of America Talent Show

Those wacky scrambled states are back. This time they’ve come together for a spectacular show featuring their many goofball talents. But just when Indiana (the director) is about to call SHOWTIME!, Georgia gets a bad case of stage fright and can’t perform in her juggling act. Will the show go on, or will it be curtains?

In this winning companion to The Scrambled States of
Published August 5th 2008 by Henry Holt (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Scrambled States of America Talent Show, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scrambled States of America Talent Show

Jul 09, 2012 K.C. rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Keller, Laurie. (2008). The scrambled states of America: talent show. New York: Henry Holt.

Category: picture book

The states have a talent show emceed by Washington, D.C. The story's a little goofy, but manages to get a some tidbits of information about the states into the text, and even more through the illustrations (ex: Pennsylvania plays a tune on the Liberty Bell, Idaho is juggling potatoes, Georgia - peaches, and California - oranges). I found a couple of things really funny: Washington, D.
Jan 02, 2009 Scope rated it really liked it
When the original “Scrambled States of America” was published in 2002, it really caught on. Attaining a crossover appeal that is rare for any book, it wasn’t long before you could put together the “Scrambled States” puzzle, or play the “Scrambled States” game. All this happened for good reason: Laurie Keller combined humor, quirky illustrations, and some certified geography learnin’ to create a riot of a book that kids will be reading for a long time. It also worked on two levels - the story was ...more
Sarah Sammis
Mar 09, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it liked it
The Scrambled States of America Talent Show by Laurie Keller was one of Harriet's picks to read over the summer. She was learning geography at the time in school and recognized some of the states from her classwork.

The book is a follow up to The Scrambled States of America. We have not read the first book. Nor were we aware of the original's popularity when it was first published in 2002. Some of the reviews I've read suggest that this book is best read as a sequel and not as a stand alone.

At th
Feb 17, 2010 Aimee added it
Shelves: pbgs-1-choice
This colorful information book tells details about the fifty states though humor. The fifty states are putting on a talent show jokes and geography.

This stimulating book of information combined with jokes will engage children of all ages. This is a great social studies book to help students learn about the location of the states. Using humor this book will be delightful for all that read it. In the front cover of the book is state information such as when each state became a state and what the a
Sara K.
Laurie Keller is coming to our school next month and we are SOOOOO excited. She is a genius and humerous writer. This is the equal to the Scrambled States of America (where the go traveling and trade places). This time the states put on a great talent show. Of course in this one Idaho is in the juggling crew and what does she juggle...yep, you guessed it, POTATOES!!!! :) The states all have personalities, little asides, and other fun things. She does all of the illustrations and they are just as ...more
Beatrice A
Feb 28, 2014 Beatrice A rated it it was amazing
I think this book is really good because it teaches kids about some of the things or monuments that some states represent, such as Iowa corn and Pennsylvania's Liberty Bell. If you like this book, please read the other one in this "series" that this one is the sequel to. It is called The Scrambled States of America. It is good because it teaches geography and is also tremendously fun. I have a review for that too, just type in "The Scrambled States of America" and you should get two books, this ...more
This was a very entertaining book! There were several comedic moments, however Debbie mentioned that the book feeds on stereotypes and I will agree. With that being said, this book presents a good opportunity to not only learn about the states, but to also delve deeper into the stereotypes: why do we associate certain things with certain states? how do the citizens of each state feel about those stereotypes? what stereotypes are there about our state of Georgia? how can we figure out the truth b ...more
Dec 13, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun follow-up story to The Scrambled States of America, also by Laurie Keller. The states are getting together this time to have a talent show and craziness ensues. Our favorite were the state impersonators - hilarious! This is a silly book, but informative, too, as we learned more about each state's shape and we also discussed the statehood dates and abbreviations that are listed on the endpages. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Gaffes, guffaws and gargantuan grins explode from page after page of frantic action as fifty fervent American states peel themselves from cartographical slumber and paint the town.

As a Canadian, I’m not embarrassed to admit that I learned more about U.S. geography (and statehood history) from these forty pages of tumult, tables and talent than I ever learned in school.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.
Jul 14, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
We'd kind of forgotten about Laurie Keller. But Tash is feeling the love of picture books, and this was always one of her favorites. It's amusing with lots of corny jokes, there are little details to the pictures to discover (Washington DC is riding on NC, SC sleeps with a teddy bear), and there's the opportunity to actually learns some things such as the date of entry as a state and the official two-letter abbreviation. Fun, informative, and rewarding to re-read. Definitely a favorite.

Library c
Phil Mitchell
Dec 12, 2009 Phil Mitchell rated it liked it
This is a silly book that contains information about the states but does it in a way that is a bit unconventional. Instead of being a straight book that contains dry info, this book conveys the info about the states through a talent show where the states, which were shaped like each one, competed against each other. I would say that there is so much going on in this story that it is hard to follow. Its more or less to enjoy page by page. I would have liked to have read the preceding book before ...more
Taleda Crafter
Nov 17, 2010 Taleda Crafter rated it it was amazing
This sequel to the Scrambled States of America includes the fifty states putting on a talent show. Some of the states performed by themselves and others performed in groups. A few states, one being Georgia, had to get over stage fright in order to perform. With much help from her friends, she conquered her fears and went on to do wonderfully in the show. This book can be integrated into social studies because it can reinforce the names and shapes of the fifty states which will make it easier for ...more
Nov 30, 2010 Tara rated it it was amazing
I read this to the class with my peers for the first time outloud and it was so funny. I loved it. It introduced the states and each of there talents correlated to their states image. It is a really good book to teach the states of america and it is engaging because it uses a talent show as the story line to tie you in. It has colorful pictures and includes little word bubbles so that you keep discovering more and more everytime you read. Great for kindergarten and first grade.
Aug 16, 2008 Joenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindergarten, 1st-2nd
Too cute! All the states decide to put on a talent show. Some sing, dance, juggle, and try the pogo stick! A great way to learn the states. Has some sarcastic humor, great for the parents reading it with their child. Georgia has a bit of stage fright though, and at the end, Georgia imagines all the states with only their underwear on. On the cover jackets is one list of the statehood dates from oldest to youngest, and then lists all the state abbrieviations.
Julia Jasztal
Jan 10, 2013 Julia Jasztal rated it liked it
(Mommy's review)

The book showed "x-ray's" of Georgia, more up close and in depth than any other state, and Julia and I were actually able to find Putnam County on one and the town of Eatonton on the other.
We both thought that was pretty cool because not only were we there for awhile this past fall but that's where I lived when I got pregnant with her and where her Nanny and uncles still live.
Another funny scrambled states book. This one delves a bit more into things like state abbreviations and statehood dates (which is something else I didn't memorize either). I loved Georgia's X-rays, but I think it would have been neat to do a bit more of that with some of the other states to add a few more educational factors into it. Delaware would have been easy! :-) Still a great book with some intelligent humor that is fun to sit and look at everything going on.
Lisa Vegan
Dec 11, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: independent readers, as a fun way to learn facts about the U.S. states
I’d start with the first book The Scrambled States of America if reading this is partially to help with geography lessons. This book also gives a nod to those with stage fright and might be helpful for that too.

The author is very funny, down to her official author photos and notes.

This extremely busy and silly book is a good way for independent readers to learn some facts about the states of the U.S. It wouldn’t make a particularly good read aloud book though.
Apr 02, 2012 Alice rated it liked it
This is a strange book. It is about how all of the United States have a talent show. I think they are trying to be humorous and at the same time stating some facts about some of the states. I love state facts so I thought this book would be amazing, instead it is just a little too strange. Maybe a 5th grader might appreciate it but I thought it was more silly than informative.
Sydney Hunter
I think the scrambled states of America books are great because they do an awesome job of teaching students about the states in a fun way. These books are so enjoyable that students don't often think of them as educational, they just read them for fun. This would be a great book for a read aloud to introduce state units or something else social studies related.
Nov 30, 2010 Amber rated it it was amazing
This book was a very cute book! I enjoyed reading it in class. I look forward to possibly having it on my bookshelf one day. When introducing the states to the children in geography and talking about the different states, this would be a great way to talk about and have the children become more aware of what the states are like and where they are.
Katie Williams
I absolutely loved this book. It was very entertaining for me to read as an adult. It's filled with plenty of witty humor that both children and adults can understand and enjoy. It also provides plenty of facts about U.S. states that can be both educational and entertaining. I would use this book when learning about different states in the U.S., their capitols, and any other facts about them.
This is a fun sequel to The Scrambled States of America. One night, New York woke all the other states and suggested they get together and have a talent show. Everyone was all excited, but then Georgia got a case of stage fright. This is a silly story, but the illustrations with all of the sidebar captions and jokes are so much fun to enjoy.
Denise Choate
Dec 16, 2009 Denise Choate rated it really liked it
2009 Informational
The Scrambled States of America Talent Show was a fun book to read. I enjoyed reading about the information about the states that was previewed in a much different way then I had ever read before. With this sort of content it is hard to not get boring at times, but overall Laurie Keller did a great job keeping it entertaining and visually stimulating.
This is another book about the Scrambled states that will leave you smiling! I really enjoyed this book because not only is it entertaining but you learn a lot about each state's unique qualities. This great for teachers in Georgia because it gets the spotlight in this book. Good way to teach geography and state facts.
Nov 24, 2009 Joan rated it really liked it
Another winner by Laurie Keller. Keller really knows how to grab her young audience and keep them with her through all the twists and turns. This is a great sequel to Scrambled States of America. Kids are learning without realizing it. I wish she would write a sequel to Arnie the Doughnut. So creative!
Sep 17, 2008 babyhippoface rated it liked it
More fun from Laurie Keller as the states put on a talent show! Some of the "talents" are related to the culture of the respective state (Oklahoma is roping), and some aren't (Texas is roller-skating). My favorite part is when some of the states get together to do impersonations of other states. Gotta see that page.
Debbie Mcclure
story that could teach about the states that make up the US- not geographically oriented- poor visualization about where the states are located- continues some stereotypes about qualities of different states or the people that populate them. The story is written for kids to laugh about it, but poor choice for teaching anything relevant about geography.
Sep 02, 2009 Dayna rated it it was amazing
I am biased - I LOVE all books by Laurie Keller!! They are just so much fun to read. All the little side bar conversations make for fun family jokes around here.

This is a great introduction to the quirky funny states that make up the U.S.A.
This book would be great to help children learn about the states and geography. It is a fun book that will make them laugh but also teach them something. It would also be entertaining for children in Indiana because in the book, it is the director of the talent show.
I loved this book! It would be a great tool to use when teaching students about the different states. I like how the book provides a list of statehood in the front and back of the book. I also loved the humorous approach the author took when writing this book.
  • Mapping Penny's World
  • Traction Man Meets Turbo Dog
  • Those Rebels, John and Tom
  • Me, All Alone, at the End of the World
  • Monkey with a Tool Belt
  • My Brother Martin: A Sister Remembers Growing Up with the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Mail Harry to the Moon!
  • There's Nothing to Do on Mars
  • A Book
Laurie Keller grew up in Muskegon, Michigan. She always loved to draw, paint and write stories. She spent much of her time performing in a local dance tour company and dancing in and choreographing some civic theatre shows.
She graduated several years later with a BFA in Illustration. She also got a job as a greeting card illustrator at Hallmark Cards in Kansas City, Missouri. She is the author and
More about Laurie Keller...