Start by marking “Hunting Party (The Serrano Legacy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hunting Party (The Serrano Legacy, #1)

Hunting Party (The Serrano Legacy #1)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  4,403 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
Heris Serrano--formerly a commander in the Regular Space Service--must take whatever job she can get after her resignation under a cloud. What she can get is the captaincy of a rich old lady's space yacht...a rich old horsewoman, who has little liking for the military, and whose spoiled nephew Ronnie (and his equally spoiled friends) have been foisted on her after his ...more
Published 1993 by Baen Books

To ask other readers questions about Hunting Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunting Party

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I was re-reading the Esmay Suiza books from this series/setting (which start with Once a Hero), and suddenly I got the urge to read the first trilogy, which starts here. So. First, a cosmetic complaint: Heris is described as dark enough that it's not as obvious when she blushes. On the covers of the US editions, she's depicted as Caucasian; on this UK edition she's depicted as a very very very pale blonde. Paler than me, and when I was born I was so pale the doctor thought I must be anemic. (I'm ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Otherwise known as: Fox hunting and horseback riding in space
Another capture from a scout to a used bookstore, I discovered Elizabeth Moon and was intrigued by the woman wielding a weapon on the front cover.
Captain Heris Serrano used to be an officer in the Regular Space Service--that is until she was forced to resign. Now the captain of Sweet Delight, the private space yacht of Lady Cecelia, Heris must deal with things she never expected: a badly disorganized ship, a seedy crew, a very ignorant
Allan Caplan
Nov 28, 2011 Allan Caplan rated it liked it
Shelves: kobo
I feel like I'm walking backwards through Elizabeth Moon's universe. I started with the Vatta series, then read Suiza. I finally got my hands on the Serrano books and was left more than a little underwhelmed.

I think if it was an author other than Moon I may have given less stars.

Hunting Party starts rather raggedly. I kept looking to see if I missed a book about Serrano. The way she is dumped into the book felt like there was already a book about her past with the R.S.S.. But, alas there isn't.
Celia Powell
Nov 25, 2007 Celia Powell rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Elizabeth Moon writes such fun books. Tightly plotted, exciting, excellent characters - I loved Heris Serrano, the middle-aged heroine of Shooting Party (fox hunting in space! No examination of the ethics behind fox hunting, which I found disappointing). Heris has a lot of history, and we're gradually introduced to it as we get to know her. Resigned from the military, she takes a position as captain of a rich woman's "yacht" (spaceship), and we go from there, covering smuggling, horse riding, hu ...more
Dan
Jan 01, 2016 Dan rated it it was amazing
Reread, good series!
Katie Bee
Aug 21, 2015 Katie Bee rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-books-read
I really enjoyed this book. I'm not sure if everyone would (for reasons I'll explain below), but for me it was a great read, and I'm looking forward to the other books in the series.

Things to bear in mind

Characters: 1) The two primary characters are a 40-something ex-military captain named Heris, and an extremely wealthy "old maiden aunt" called Cecelia, in her early eighties. (But in this time period, Cecelia is still extremely in shape, athletic, and rides in foxhunts.)

* If you love these two
Jeffery E Doherty
Aug 11, 2013 Jeffery E Doherty rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Moon has to be one of my all time favourite science fiction writers. The Serrano books are epic military sci-fi stories but Moon throws in unexpected characters in lead roles. For example having a stubborn old lady who's passion in life is show jumping horses as a lead is strange for the genre but it works. The Serrano books deal with a government ruled by a bunch of uber rich families who are utilising life extending drug treatments. The stories delve into the politics of the ...more
Lorena
Oct 28, 2012 Lorena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
The good: a quick, fun read. If you like Space Opera you're going to already have an idea of what happens.... a disgraced officer on the outs with the military gets a new job yet still winds up solving mysteries involving her beloved military unit. If you like quirky secondary and tertiary characters, grumpy old ladies who are more than what they seem, and well-plotted mysteries, you'll love it.

The bad: do publishers ever read the books? Is there some law against making the character on the cov
Nov 02, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-actually-own
Elizabeth Moon is one of my favorite authors, and at first this was not one of my favorite books. I actually read the books about Esmay Suiza first and I was hoping there would be more of her in these books... there's not. Hunting Party has much more to do with politics, socialites, and an intriguing interweaving of conspiracy. At first I was disappointed, as I was hoping for more Space Fleet Action, but the more I got into the book the more fascinated I was by the complexities of the characters ...more
Carien
Jul 23, 2011 Carien rated it it was ok
I picked this book up as it sounded like it could be an interesting read, but I found it rather boring.

The actual action only starts in the second half of the book and is over much too soon, after which there's still a lot of the book left where there's lots of non-action again. There's also a sudden love interest thrown in after everything is solved to give the book a happy end, while so easily this love interest could have been mentioned earlier in the book. As for lead character Heris: there
Tani
Feb 21, 2016 Tani rated it really liked it
This book started really well for me. I like all the details of space travel, and Moon does a good job with them. It did lose me for a bit, when we got to the fox-hunting. There was a lot of focus on horses, and they're just not my thing. It was still well-written, but the interest just wasn't there for me, you know? But then things picked back up with the final half of the book. I won't say what happens, but it livened things right back up, and I inhaled the final third of the book.

One of the
Joshua
May 11, 2013 Joshua rated it did not like it
It just seems as if the author was trying to write two books at the same time here--one a space opera along the lines of David Weber's On Basilisk Station, the other a book about [I]grand dames[/I] and high-class amusements. As a consequence, neither succeeded very well. Elizabeth Moon needed to pick a single plot type and stick with it. Jane Austen and David Weber just don't blend all that well, in my opinion.
G33z3r
One of Moon's earlier scifi novels. Not her best, but populated with a lot of well-drawn characters in a somewhat forced mix of spaceships with fox hunts. Moon's gift for focusing on details is on full display. The storytelling occasionally lets the story down: the initial exposition and character introductions are choppy, and it took way too long for me to properly visualize all the supporting character; and the point-of-view wanders sloppily in a few scenes.
This is a rather amusing space opera (sans romance) that manages to mix spaceships and family politics with ..... fox hunting. And it works. (As long as you don't mind there being the Good Guys/Gals and the Bad Guys/Gals. Although there are some people who get redeemed and nobody is portrayed as perfect.) I've read this book several times, so clearly I enjoy this formula.
Jon
Mar 24, 2014 Jon rated it liked it
I recall liking this whole series, and that it maintained a very even quality level the whole time. It's quick, almost "bubblegum" scifi, but I liked it. I can't recall anything special about this entry. It was ages ago I read this, but if you like previous entries, this is sure to be "more of the same". Good or bad, that's up to you.
Billie
Aug 01, 2016 Billie rated it liked it
I like to think of Elizabeth Moons Sci-Fi as the Conservative Rich people in space. It's pretty good fun, but shockingly weak on the pushing the boundaries type stuff. Last time it was polygamy, this time it's homosexual relationships - while they're not handled badly, it's not exactly ground breaking stuff.

Anyway, plenty of bang zap aimlessly running round to keep me entertained.
Jet
Apr 13, 2010 Jet rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, scifi, female-author, 2010
This was such fun. Space opera fun! With horses! And it is full of awesome, well drawn, strong female characters. It passes the Bechdel test, well and truly.

Interesting characters, intriguing female friendships, and very well paced. I'm looking forward to rest of this series.
Kellyann
Jan 11, 2010 Kellyann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This was the most fun I've had reading a book in a long time! Going Postal was fun, and funny, but Hunting Party, while not as comical, was a great adventure with decent writing and interesting, likable characters. Total mind candy.
Anna
Apr 19, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Lots of fun. I liked all of the characters, especially the protagonist, and they had depth and grew. The story line was a bit choppy, but I didn't really care.
Catriona
Aug 01, 2012 Catriona rated it did not like it
It was lucky I didn't read this one first... bit of a mish mash plot wise, but introduces the characters that grow through the rest of the series. Not a patch on Paksenarrion though.
Mark
Jul 27, 2012 Mark rated it liked it
Fun and entertaining book. Not generally the sci-fi I like, but as an adventure story (with horse riding, fox hunting and space-yachting).
Brittany jerger
Jul 19, 2012 Brittany jerger rated it really liked it
This was a good read. I always like reading about strong female characters, and Elizabeth Moon's writing always keeps me interested.
Maria Longley
Nov 30, 2016 Maria Longley rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy, fa, 2016
Fox (equivalent) hunting in space...! Well, not in space, on a planet that you get to in a spaceship. Heris Serrano takes a job to pilot a ship and discovers she might have a bit more pirate in her then expected.
Matt
Nov 29, 2016 Matt rated it liked it
Just your standard pulp science fiction novel. But Elizabeth Moon wrote it, so you can at least be sure that there's one or two interedting twists in there, for those that enjoy her work.
Jenevive Desroches
Well developed characters with rich backgrounds from the very first page. For more thoughts: http://winsomegates.jenevivedesroches...
Linnea
Sep 22, 2015 Linnea rated it it was amazing
Hunting Party by Elizabeth Moon was one of the first books I ever read in (my second language) English. I was a teenager at the time and of a less critical disposition, hence the five star rating. Re-reading it today as an adult (and more experienced reader) changes some things but not others. This is not a perfect book, in fact it has several flaws, but the things I love about Elizabeth Moon’s writing are very much present. Even while recognizing the problems in the story, the experience ...more
Bertrand
Apr 26, 2010 Bertrand rated it liked it
Elizabeth Moon nous est présentée par l’éditeur comme une auteure à la vie passionnante et aventureuse : conseillère municipale, diplômée en Biologie et en Histoire, s’engage dans les Marines en pleine guerre du Vietnâm : on s’attend donc à une romancière désireuse de partager ses diverses expériences de vie. Elizabeth Moon officie principalement dans la science-fiction et les grandes épopées spatiales, elle a notamment gagné le prestigieux prix Nebula en 2003.
Heris Serrano, issue d’une lignée d
Clare O'Beara
May 02, 2015 Clare O'Beara rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
A space captain leaves the navy and signs on as captain of an luxury yacht. I was wondering about her age, because the cover misleadingly depicts someone about twenty; we later learn that Heris is forty. Presumably these are Earth standard years. (This refers to the excellent Orbit original paperback, not the awful American covers on Amazon.) The story is in three parts.

All is not ship shape aboard the yacht, as the crew have been rooking the elderly lady owner for money in services not carried
Amy
Sep 23, 2016 Amy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Bored, so bored.
Alex
I think I read "The Hunting Party" a long time ago but just forgot. As I read this time, I kept seeing in my mind what would come next, as if I already knew. It was still a good read and I enjoyed it. A lot of the book is dialogue and interactions between the characters which the author does well. I didn't get bored.

The story: Captain Heris Serrano has resigned her commission in the space navy in disgrace and has taken on a job captaining a yacht for a rich old lady, but this old lady, Lady Cece
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page numbers 2 6 Feb 28, 2013 09:53AM
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • The Planet Pirates Omnibus
  • Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8)
  • Torch of Freedom (Honorverse: Wages of Sin, #2)
  • The Price of the Stars (Mageworlds, #1)
  • With the Lightnings (Lt. Leary, #1)
Elizabeth Moon was born March 7, 1945, and grew up in McAllen, Texas, graduating from McAllen High School in 1963. She has a B.A. in History from Rice University (1968) and another in Biology from the University of Texas at Austin (1975) with graduate work in Biology at the University of Texas, San Antonio.

She served in the USMC from 1968 to 1971, first at MCB Quantico and then at HQMC. She marrie
More about Elizabeth Moon...

The Serrano Legacy (7 books)
  • Sporting Chance (The Serrano Legacy, #2)
  • Winning Colors (The Serrano Legacy, #3)
  • Once a Hero (The Serrano Legacy, #4)
  • Rules of Engagement (The Serrano Legacy, #5)
  • Change of Command (The Serrano Legacy, #6)
  • Against the Odds (The Serrano Legacy, #7)

“But what about the horses? Have they always had horses here?"

"Probably. Colonial words usually have horses; they're cheap local transportation,self-replicating.”
2 likes