Start by marking “Chuck Dugan Is AWOL: A Novel - With Maps” as Want to Read:
Chuck Dugan Is AWOL: A Novel - With Maps

Chuck Dugan Is AWOL: A Novel - With Maps

On the day of his eighteenth birthday, midshipman cadet Chuck Dugan receives a startling letter, including a treasure map drawn by his late father and news that his mother is about to marry a rogue and scoundrel known as "the Admiral." When the Admiral warns Chuck away from his mother, and the Admiral's sons attack the young cadet, Chuck leaps into action, going AWOL from ...more
Published April 7th 2005 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Chuck Dugan Is AWOL, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chuck Dugan Is AWOL

Tyler
Oct 02, 2007 Tyler rated it really liked it
The plot is as delightfully corny as anything you'd find in a "boy's novel" from the first half of the 20th century. (I bought one at a resale store once called "Dave Darrin On The Asiatic Express," which I'm sure fits the bill. I don't know why I haven't read that book yet.) Eric's drawings will be familiar to anyone who owns the Criterion Collection editions of brother Wes Anderson's oeuvre. (Did I really just use 'oeuvre'? Suck it.) They are beyond charming; I wish you find them for sale, blo ...more
Jeff
Jul 28, 2013 Jeff rated it it was ok
Man, I haven't been here in awhile...

Okay, So I finally read something... I've actually read a bunch of stuff, but this is the first review I've written in awhile so, let's take it slow and see where it goes.

FIRST: as always and some people have complained, this is a tiny review of a book mixed in a giant story about my life- "great, but where's the review of the book?"

JUST WAIT PAMELA!

So I recently-ish moved into a new apartment, and with this new apartment I bought a new set of bookshelves.
lucy by the sea
Aug 25, 2010 lucy by the sea rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-fiction
Lucy Longstocking review http://www.wcl.govt.nz/blogs/kids/ind...

Do you like video games?

Would you sometimes rather play video games than read a book?

Yeah?

Oh well, I like books so I am going to wah on to you about them.

BUT, pull your eyes away from your games for just a minute because… this book is a lot like a video game. Not a very flash one mind, maybe one from the 90’s, but it’s fast paced, it’s adventurous and it’s addictive. You’ll want to keep reading and reading until you get to the next
Michael
Jul 06, 2007 Michael rated it liked it
The main draw to this book was that Eric Chase Anderson wrote it, but more importantly, illustrated it. Eric is the brother of Wes Anderson (The Life Aquatic, Rushmore, The Royal Tenebaums) and since Wes is one of my favorite directors and TLA is one of my favorite movies, I ran to the store to get this book. The illustrations are wonderfully childish and all are based on diagrams and maps and little notations. Unfortunately, the writing itself was also childish and very anti-climatic (not to me ...more
Amanda
Mar 12, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
Utterly delightful - not particularly deep but quirky and charming.
Julianna Helms
**STARRED REVIEW**

Quick Reaction: Thank you to Mrs. Lyn for letting us read this book. It's fantastic. Truly. If you're looking for a clever, witty, hilarious, insightful, resourceful, and engaging adventure on the high (and low) seas, Chuck Dugan is AWOL, with its detailed and beautifully-crafted maps is one journey ye don't wanna miss, matey.

**Actual, full reaction POSSIBLY to come**
Matthew Konkel
Feb 28, 2008 Matthew Konkel rated it liked it
Yeah, it's basically a junior high story. Any six grader would love it. But it fulfills my "Chuck" requirement. (Which I've been pretty lax on.) Anyway, this is written and drawn by Wes Anderson's bro so the artwork is familiar. Nothing too unexpected here, it's a fantasy story with an fantasy protagonist. Although I will allow the almost-drowning prose was written with some good tension.
Dec 17, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
I read this one quickly after my Thanksgiving viewing of The Fantastic Mr. Fox. Eric Chase Anderson is the voice of Kristopherson and my good friend Amie let me borrow it. The story is fine enough, but the real draw imo, are the illustrations and maps. If they look familiar, Anderson did the illustrations that were featured throughout his brother's film, The Royal Tennenbaums.
Erin Tuzuner
Sep 10, 2011 Erin Tuzuner rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, kidlit
I am a fan of Wes Anderson's movies. His younger brother, Eric, wrote this book. Or should I say, drew this book. A fun story told with the flair and intricate description of a precocious teenage boy, Chuck Dugan is a must read for any Anderson fan. The detailed maps, the simple story telling of a young sailor and the intrigues he discovers. Just fun.
Justwinter
The story was fine, if thin. But the illustrations are worth the price of admission. In fact, I think I like the book for what I imagine it could have been, more than what it was. Yet, I'm still happy to own it and have kept it long after I've given 'better' reads away. Wrap that up and do with it as you will. I'm a sucker for maps.
Kip
Apr 24, 2011 Kip rated it liked it
Not a great book in the traditional sense -- plot, character, pacing all wanting. But it is one of the coolest-looking and best-executed book ideas I've seen in a long time. Similar to Griffin and Sabine in that there is a lot to enjoy here design- and concept-wise even though it's not a particularly compelling story.
Alicia
Jan 11, 2014 Alicia rated it liked it
fairly weak story, but the package and art is very good.
Catherine
Jun 17, 2008 Catherine rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic. A wonderful read for the beach, not too thorough, not too deep, just fun and the drawings are great! If you enjoyed the graphic art on the packaging of The Royal Tennenbaums, you will at least enjoy the books' mighty array of 'maps'. Eric Chase Anderson is hilarious. :)
Matt
Mar 23, 2010 Matt rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how long it's been since I read something I wanted to call "charming."

This book is charming!

Also quite clever and well-written.

You could enjoy it yourself, then hand it to any kid with a literary bent and you'll both be better off.

Cheers.
Christopher
Sep 20, 2011 Christopher rated it liked it
Fun, light-hearted adventure read. I had hoped to snag Noah's attentions with the frequent illustrations, but 2 & 1/2 might be too young still. I will probably hold on to it with the hopes of reading it to my children in the future.
Kristina
Aug 28, 2007 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Life Aquatic lovers
Shelves: adultish
If you like the artwork on the Life Aquatic DVD, then here you go. Anderson's novel is like reading a film by those very talented Anderson/Wilson boys. Could be in the blood.

Costumes, water, danger, etc.
Mason
May 20, 2011 Mason rated it liked it
Though simple in terms of plot, Anderson is at his best when pairing humorous maps and illustrations with distinctive, perky prose. A quick, light read perfect for a day at the beach.
Elizabeth
Sep 14, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
An adventure story! With maps! Fun, quick to read, and engaging.

It's also printed on nice, thick paper. And the maps are witty.

I wish Chuck Dugan was my friend.
Aug 09, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
you can buy it for $0.87 on amazon if anyone needs to buy me a present.

more books should incorporate maps into the narrative. i'd be a happier chickadee.
Ted
Jul 09, 2013 Ted rated it liked it
A unique reading experience, if not a literary masterwork. The drawings and maps lend an atmospheric lightness and occasionally joyful riff to the simple adventure.
Megan
Jun 26, 2007 Megan rated it liked it
A birthday gift that's been lingering on my shelf - It seemed like the perfect book to kick off summer, and it didn't disappoint. A sweetly innocent adventure story.
James
Mar 04, 2014 James rated it liked it
A charming and quick adventure tale that's both helped and hindered by its drawings, pace and Anderson-ian-ness. Enjoyable but not great.
K8e
Nov 10, 2008 K8e rated it really liked it
Super cute story with hilarious maps! It's an adventure for all ages. Very creative, easy to read. I think I finished it in a few hours!
Daniel Nguyen
Jul 03, 2007 Daniel Nguyen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Wes Anderson fans
Read this book over a couple lunches in late 2005. A children's book for grow's'ed up nerdish hipsters. I really loved the illustrations.
Brooke
Oct 16, 2011 Brooke rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction, 2011
Cute adventure story that's short enough to read in one sitting. The drawings were the highlight, with little notations that were amusing.
Jen
Jun 12, 2011 Jen rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
It moves along at a good pace and the maps are excellent, but it is very simplistic. Probably good for much younger children.
Betty
Aug 03, 2012 Betty rated it really liked it
It is what it is. If you love deceptively simple illustrated stories, this is the pinnacle of the genre.
Ambur
May 17, 2007 Ambur rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: You!
Who enjoys a modern adult fairy tale??? I DO!

AND

There are maps.

DETAILED MAPS.
Dec 12, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I have enjoyed the liner notes for Wes Anderson films - this book was like that.
Anna
Mar 26, 2011 Anna rated it liked it
fun read. i think this would be even more fun if i were in a casual reading mood.
  • Humiliation
  • The Legend of Luther Strode
  • Grantland Quarterly, Vol. 2
  • Por favor, rebobinar
  • In and Out the Garbage Pail
  • Voices from the Storm: The People of New Orleans on Hurricane Katrina and Its Aftermath
  • Out of Isak Dinesen in Africa: Karen Blixen's Untold Story
  • Viking's Dawn (Viking Saga, #1)
  • Lout Rampage!
  • Class and Schools: Using Social, Economic, and Educational Reform to Close the Black-White Achievement Gap
  • Avengers Origins: Quicksilver & The Scarlet Witch
Eric Chase Anderson (born 1973) is an American writer & illustrator. Eric was born in Houston, Texas, and is the brother of filmmaker Wes Anderson.

Anderson's first novel, Chuck Dugan Is AWOL, "a novel with maps", was published in 2004 by Narnia Books. His illustrations have also appeared in Time magazine and The New York Observer. He illustrated all of the maps, covers, and other packaging of
More about Eric Chase Anderson...