Start by marking “The Shape of Content” as Want to Read:
The Shape of Content

The Shape of Content

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A modern painter discusses meaning and form in contemporary painting and offers advice to aspiring artists.
Published January 1st 1992 by Harvard University Press (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Shape of Content, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shape of Content

Joe
I just finished this book last week on the recommendation of a friend. It's a book that I really enjoyed reading. I have a soft-spot for essays, which I consider one of the purest literary forms. Having a book full of essays by someone so likable and immediate as Ben Shahn makes this an easy read. Hearing someone accomplished talk about their craft with love and conviction is always enjoyable, especially when they can do so with a compelling narrative style (as Shahn does). His thoughts are wide ...more
Andrew Martin
As much love as I have for Ben Shahn

Farewell to New York

Handball.

Shape of Content does not have 1.0 books worth of ideas, length adjusted. The last essay, "Education of an Artist," has some choice excerpts destined to be reborn as rebloggable tumblr directives
Go to an art school, or two, or three, or take art courses at night if necessary. And paint and paint and draw and draw. Know all that you can, both curricular and noncurricular – mathematics and physics and economics, logic, and particula
Stephanie
I read some of it years ago but never finished it until today. I keep seeing the word Renaissance community everywhere. "Our values are prsumably those things which we hold most dear. They are those matters which call fourth our most enthusiastic participation, or towards which we are most compassionate about. Beliefs that light the way we behave.

Bringing Emotional Intelligence to the Workplace: A Technical Report Issued
Chris
I first read "The Shape of Content" as an undergraduate painting student when I was reading everything about art and artmaking that I could get my hands on, trying to figure out what (and why, and how) I was doing. At that time I found it inspiring, especially the last essay on "The Education of the Artist".

Re-reading the book 22 years later, I am struck by what a deeply thoughtful person Shahn was, how articulately he described what goes into the making of art in “Biography of a Painting”, and
kimberly
If nonartists read only one book by or about art, this should be it. It's short and elegant and Shahn makes an irrefutable case that all artists have an unavoidable responsibility to society, and gets in enough fundamentals to give those uninitiated in arts a solid vocabulary to start from. Good for artists, too, of course.

Ruzz
I have only the slightest memory of the first reading, though i do recall it being rife with complex ideas that required further thought. It's on my reread list for sometime later this year or early next and I will give a proper review at that time.
Charlie
Books of essays are tricky to rate. Sometimes it got a bit dull, other times it was very passionate and star- or underline-worthy. I did enjoy it, though, and am pleased to have just stumbled across it. I ought to read more books about art.
Brian
Intended for art students, this is a book that everyone can benefit from reading as an instructional on how to "see" the world and maximize every experience, even those that initially seem irrelevant or boring.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
Worth finding, worth reading, and most of all worth reading the last essay "the education of the artist" several times to catch different things at different times. I forsee rereading this whole book again this year.
Pete
worth acquisition for the drawings alone but also a pretty great, thoughtful, immediate essay about the nature of art and its relationship to wider life by Ben Shahn, who knew some things re those topics.
Widgets &
A good set of lectures from the fine artist Ben Shahn (whose work I was never very impressed with) but his thoughts on creativity and work struck me as pretty insightful.
Leah
Jul 19, 2011 Leah added it
Found this on my bookshelf and am interested to take another look. I read this years ago in college for a comm. studies class. I certainly do like the title.
Katie
This book was very much into the painting aspect and less about writing. It was very interesting how form and content were expressed in regard to painting.
Tiffany
Just more proof that writers should write about art and artists should not.
James Payne
Surprisingly boring!
Wired
Jul 13, 2009 Wired is currently reading it
Dates back to the 50s, but some of the bizarre attitudes it describes still have currency.
Dina
Dina marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Shannon Thacker
Shannon Thacker marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Dillon Ashcroft
Dillon Ashcroft marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Hoyadaisy
Hoyadaisy marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Joshua Mira
Joshua Mira marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Sharon Wildwind
Sharon Wildwind is currently reading it
Nov 24, 2014
Arielle
Arielle marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Connie Weng
Connie Weng marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
  • Art Objects: Essays on Ecstasy and Effrontery
  • The Sexuality of Christ in Renaissance Art and in Modern Oblivion
  • Modernism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Magic Hours: Essays on Creators and Creation
  • The Voices of Silence: Man and His Art. (Abridged from the Psychology of Art)
  • Joseph Cornell: Navigating the Imagination
  • Painting and Experience in Fifteenth-Century Italy: A Primer in the Social History of Pictorial Style
  • The Zen of Creativity: Cultivating Your Artistic Life
  • The Artist's Reality: Philosophies of Art
  • A Smile in the Mind
  • Nothing If Not Critical: Selected Essays on Art and Artists
  • The Lives of the Muses: Nine Women and the Artists They Inspired
  • Boundaries
  • What Light Can Do: Essays on Art, Imagination, and the Natural World
Alphabet of Creation Homage to Mistress Bradstreet: Drawings by Ben Shahn For the Sake of a Single Verse ...: From the Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge The Photographic Eye of Ben Shahn Ben Shahn

“If what any artist has to say is fundamentally human and profound the public will ultimately take his work unto itself. But if his own conceptions are limited and narrow in their human meaning it seems likely that time will erase his work.” 0 likes