Start by marking “MacKenzie's Mission” as Want to Read:
MacKenzie's Mission

MacKenzie's Mission (Mackenzie Family #2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  4,324 ratings  ·  121 reviews
Like his father before him, Joe "Breed" Mackenzie is as wild as the wind...and not about to settle down. Yet one equally stubborn blonde -- bent on reversing Mackenzie's mission -- will stop at nothing to make Joe her own!
Hardcover, Large Print, 317 pages
Published February 1st 2006 by Wheeler Publishing (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about MacKenzie's Mission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MacKenzie's Mission

Dee
Another great story from LH and it even had an epilogue yay! In this Joe was 35 so set around 20 years on from Mackenzie's Mountain. In adulthood Joe is still that mesmerising person that everyone seemed to be slightly in awe of, but then he was known and respected as the best pilot in the country, and advanced through the ranks very quickly and at his extraordinarily young age had made the rank of Colonel. Joe was in charge of the top secret project involving a new all singing all dancing fight ...more
Susan
That was fun. I'm glad she kicked him before HEA. Now I'm almost reluctant to return to a romance with emotional substance, Judith Ivory's Sleeping Beauty. That one is making me yearn for things; I don't much enjoy yearning...
Karla
Love this series and really liked Joe's book! Caroline was funny and it was very HOT when Joe showed her what to do on a "date"! Exciting ending and I enjoyed going back to visit with Wolf and Mary, I adore those two!

Bark's Book Nonsense
3 1/2

Mackenzie’s Mission is the sequel to the fabulously romantic and just about perfect Mackenzie’s Mountain and it had a lot to live up to and it didn’t quite do it. Yeah, I know it’s not fair to rate a book comparing it to its prequel but I read them back to back and I never claimed to be fair anyway. “Mission” is a perfectly serviceable category romance if you like the uber-alpha male and the virginal heroine and can stomach the dated-ness when it comes to women in a “man’s” place of work. I
Ladiibbug
Mar 21, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ladiibbug by: Author Larissa Ione
*Loan from a Friend*

My first Linda Howard book.

Author Larissa Ione, a big favorite of mine with her Demonica series, talked about this 1992 book in her visit to the Desert Island Keepers blog (3/2/09), so I was tempted to read it (see link below).

First published in 1992. Air Force uber-alpha test pilot Joe Mackenzie meets physics PhD Caroline Evans on the super-secret Nevada test site while they're both working on a revolutionary military plane.

Joe is sigh-worthy and highly manly. Very well writ
Janet
I'm not exactly reading it -- I'm re-reading it for the umpteenth time. I can't recommend this to anyone who isn't prepared to be swept away by gloriously over-the-top prose and emotion. This is a shame-free goodreads account. Fair warning: you take your chances when you enter into the world of Old Skool!

Overwrought prose is so typical of books like this -- all susceptible to mockery for lines like the ones that follow. Joe and Caroline are about to make love for the first time and altho she has
Serban Georgiana
Singurul meu regret legat de aceasta carte,este numarul mic de pagini.
Mi-ar fi placut ca ea sa fie mai "stufoasa".
In rest totul a fost perfect,pot spune o adevarata surpriza din parte autoarei Linda Howard.Nu ma asteptam la asa ceva.
Cred cu sinceritate ca am o slabiciune pentru cartile bine sctise unde aventura si tehnologia militara se intrepun.A fost o tentativa destul de reusita din partea autoarei,si verau sa o felicit .
Personajele sunt minunate,pe Joe l-am indragit inca de cand ere un adole
Susan
This book was about Joe Mackenzie, who we met in Mackenzie's Mountain. It's no surprise to see that he has gone as far and as fast as he has. He is highly respected by his men. He is still very intense and very private with his emotions. When he meets Caroline he is instantly attracted to her. He uses the idea of protecting her from other men to stake a claim on her. Caroline is very smart, but inexperienced when it came to men. She also tended to be very direct, and told Joe that she was attrac ...more
Anita Fleming
Fantastic, hot early romance by Linda Howard.

Note to Self: Start on page 206
Sheila Melo
MACKENZIE'S MISSION is the second book in the Mackenzie Family Series. It is the story of Joe Mackenzie, who was sixteen in the first book and is now in his mid-thirties and is now a Colonel in the Air Force. He is in charge of a secret military project. One of the workers on that project is Caroline Evans. Caroline is super smart and because she was always ahead in school, she did not learn to have normal relationships with men. It has made her skittish around men. When she meets Joe, she wants ...more
Kay
4 1/2 Stars! ~ Because of his step-mother Mary, Joe MacKenzie had followed his dream and entered the US Air Force. He’s now a Colonel and the mission leader of the Night Wing project, and working very closely with a civilian team on a new highly classified weapons system. Carolyn Evans joins the civilian team as a replacement, and she’s an intrigue to Joe from the moment he meets her. She’s a genius, and though she had advanced quickly through her academics, when it came to the world of dating, ...more
Adis
4.5 starts/5stars

Meet again with the amazing Joe Mackenzie. This book happen about 19 years after Wolf’s story (click here for the review). Joe with his magnificent ability become a colonel in the Air Force in his relatively young age, 35. Known for his rigid control and coolness, Joe – nickname Breed – was the best fighter pilot in the force.

The story started when Joe manage his own project, a new jet with super ability. One of the civilian scientist of his team was sick and his place replace b
Lelyana Taufik
He gorgeous...

He's a DOM...

An alpha male...

He like to control...

He had a tortured past he never told anyone even his father...

He's a sexiest man alive....

He's Colonel Joe MacKenzie....

Half the book I was yawning..but half to ending, it makes me ...well....change my mind about Joe MacKenzie...
He's not as good as Wolf of course, who can compares to Wolf anyway?

But,he's got a reason to be always in control, and be the best , and that what's Caroline ,the genius, found out when she suddenly, unexp
Tina "coffee and books"
This book was just okay for me. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. In it's defense, I have been reading some really great books lately, so this book has suffered in comparison. This book was published in 1992 and I'm sure it was great for that time. The writing of love scenes was very different in 1992, than they are now.

Colonel Joe "Breed" MacKenzie has one passion in life and that's his planes. Not only does he love flying, but he's the best at it! Night Wing - a test plane with a revolutiona
Darcy
This one was slightly better than the first. I get that things were set almost 20 years later than the first book, but I want to know where Joe, the sweet kid, went. Instead we are left with a moody, almost belligerent man, that bares no resemblance to the Joe in book 1.

I didn't really care much for Caroline either, she was such an egghead and not in a likeable way. About the only thing I did like about her was that she pushed Joe.

With this book I am done with the series, too much I don't like t
MsOPP
I'm still reading this so I'll put up an update when I finish.

I like it so far, but the writing annoys me as well for some reason.

Maybe because I worked in this field in the late 90s. Maybe because the author creates unbelievable characters that are caricatures of stereotypes.

So far I want to smack the heroine. LH ham-fistedly sledgehammers you with the fact that the heroine is SO DAMNED SMART. Blah blah blah. The pretentiousness is strong with this one.

The hero is too alpha to be real.

I'm stil
Jewel
This was ok. I really enjoyed the character of Joe Mackenzie in "Mackenzie's Mountain" when we meet him as a 16 year old on a Wyoming ranch. In this book, he's aged to 35 and he's a high ranking officer in the air force. I didn't really feel like he was the same person at all. I guess one wouldn't be after lots of time and life changes, but I was hoping to recognize him a bit.

There were also a lot of boring details about running tests on fighter planes and very out dated computer stuff. It was a
Kady
These Mackenzie men are intense! When they know who their ONE is, they don't waste any time. It's like this: (view spoiler). It's kind of formulaic, but let me tell you that they are NOT boring. I'm tearing through the whole family series back to back. They are great! This one just sort of ended abruptly. But I'm sure I'll get a follow-up of Joe/Caroli ...more
Michelle
I am a really big fan of Linda Howard but was introduced to her books later in her writing career which means I spent a lot of time trying to locate and glom through her back list. Some of the books I missed (mostly because they have been very hard to find in print) were the Mackenzie series. After being talked up by some reading buddies I was able to track down the series and am so excited to read through them. They each seem to hit those special buttons on almost all levels of why I love to re ...more
Jess Candela
I didn't enjoy this one as much as I'd remembered. I had really loved both Joe and Caroline, but this time I found myself far, far too annoyed by his patronizing references to her as "little darling" and other similarly infantilizing terms. If she were a child, they'd have been appropriate. But considering she's a full-grown, highly intelligent, highly capable woman, they were insulting and seemed to undermine his apparent admiration of her for just those qualities. Aside from that, I liked it.
Peni
Aug 23, 2014 Peni rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: series-story
Loved this story. Seems a fitting next addition to the Mackenzie Family. From the first story about his dad Wolf and new Mom I knew there was something special about Joe. This story did not disappoint in that regard. Good to see how the rest of the family is developing as well.

Highly recommend this story
Kathleen
2.75, rounded up. I like the series, but I didn't much like Joe in this book. He wasn't as cool as he was in book 1. He should have been slower to accept Caroline as a suspect. Then, the asp actually got mad (enraged, infuriated) when he realized that if she is found guilty, they won't ever be able to make love again. Hello? Really? Is this love, Linda Howard style? Not in my book. At least she made him pay for his betrayal. But not enough. Grovel, Colonel Mackenzie. Grovel big time.

IMO, the sto
Linda
This was the second book in the Mackenzie series. It was not as good as the first one but had great potential but just wasn't long enough. The story line was very good but just wasn't enough details about everything. Still enjoyed the book
Alb
I really enjoyed this book. I found it a little far fetched that she went from never been kissed to deflowered in four days, but I truly like the book.
Jody
Joe's story! On the fast track in his military career, Joe works on Night Wing. A laser specialist, Caroline, comes in an shakes his legendary control.
Kay
Good quick read. Enjoy seeing how characters grow and change. Can 't wait yo see what happens next.
Bronwyn Rykiert
Another great story by Linda Howard. This is the 2nd story in a 5 part series on the Mackenzie Family of Ruth, Wyoming.

The first story was of Wolf and his school teacher wife Mary. This story is about Wolf’s son Joe Mackenzie, who was 16 when Mary came into his life and now he is 35 and a Colonel in the US Airforce – he is a decorated fighter pilot and he meets his match in Caroline Evans who comes to work on a special project that he is in charge of.

The stories I have read so far of Linda’s are
Maria
Part of a series about a family of Native Americans and their interactions with the "white" world. This particular volume has a Mackenzie serving in the Air Force as base commander and as a test pilot on a top secret new plane. There's a security breach on one of the most secretive bases in America. The beautiful blonde newcomer is blamed (of course!). You guessed it! Mackenzie loses his heart to the blonde while getting to the heart of the security leak, but she's wary of men, especially men wi ...more
Shannon C.
3.5 stars: traditional style contemporary romance with a mix of mystery and suspense

Mackenzie's Mission is a continuation of the story introduced in Mackenzie's Mountain (also a good read). We met Joe as a teenager in Mountain, and then in Mission he is an Air Force test pilot. I really like his character--your classic alpha male. Howard did a good job building romantic tension and then when they came together it was explosive.

If you haven't read Linda Howard, be sure to check out Cry No More, M
shms
this was a little more interesting than the first one but only just.
  • Prince Joe (Tall, Dark & Dangerous, #1)
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • Naked Edge (I-Team, #4)
  • Standing in the Shadows (McClouds & Friends #2)
  • Kiss and Tell (T-FLAC, #2)
  • Nightfall
  • Hot & Bothered (Marine, #3)

Linda S. Howington was born on August 3, 1950 in Alabama, United States. She began to write at nine years old, and wrote for twenty years for her own enjoyment. She worked at a trucking company where she met her husband, and then decided to try and get her work published in 1980. [1:] Her first work was publishe
More about Linda Howard...
Mr. Perfect After the Night Dream Man Open Season Mackenzie's Mountain (Mackenzie Family, #1)