Start by marking “The Best Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Best Christmas

Barbara Cooney

The Best Christmas

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  12 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
When his older brother is lost at sea just before Christmas, ten-year-old Erkki works secretly to make special presents for all the members of his family.
Published July 1st 1984 by Peter Smith Publisher (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Christmas

Julie Barrett
Oct 31, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best Christmas by Lee Kingman
Erky is not sure why he's so happy with Christmas coming.
Cold winds and cold air with sky dark with one star. Reminds him of the star on his tree, he hopes for the best one ever.
Baking, decorations throughout the house but he knows something is wrong when he enters the house. Stone barge is late and Matty is not there.
Love the idea of mittens on Christmas morning with dime in each and candy cane. Mother says it's too much trouble to get a tree, especially with Ma
Audrey
I got this book because I like Barbara Cooney’s illustrations. I particularly love her attention to detail in this work; she draws each element just as it was described. The story is very short (only about 90 pages) but I am tracking it because it does have chapters. I read it out loud to my little sister, and we both enjoyed it. The plot is pretty predictable (but it is a kids’ book), yet I still found it to be really sweet—especially the message of thinking of others.
Colleen
Jan 01, 2012 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this at a yard sale for a quarter and read it in just a few sittings to my 6 year old daughter. We both thought it was such a sweet story, gets at the spirit of the holiday season and the importance of family.
Sally
Nov 30, 2008 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
This little book is the heartwarming story of the Seppalas, a Finnish-American family, who wonder if they can celebrate Christmas with their older brother lost at sea. Very sweet!
David
Nov 30, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very moving Christmas story read out loud to the family. Almost shed a couple tears of joy at the end.
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Karis Antonellis
Karis Antonellis marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Autumn Payne
Autumn Payne rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2012
Jean Seah
Jean Seah rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2012
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2012
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2011
David
David rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2011
Terrah
Terrah marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2010
Laura Verret
Laura Verret rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2010
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2009