Start by marking “The Best Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Best Christmas

Barbara Cooney

The Best Christmas

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  4 reviews
When his older brother is lost at sea just before Christmas, ten-year-old Erkki works secretly to make special presents for all the members of his family.
Published July 1st 1984 by Peter Smith Publisher (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Christmas

Audrey
I got this book because I like Barbara Cooney’s illustrations. I particularly love her attention to detail in this work; she draws each element just as it was described. The story is very short (only about 90 pages) but I am tracking it because it does have chapters. I read it out loud to my little sister, and we both enjoyed it. The plot is pretty predictable (but it is a kids’ book), yet I still found it to be really sweet—especially the message of thinking of others.
Colleen
I found this at a yard sale for a quarter and read it in just a few sittings to my 6 year old daughter. We both thought it was such a sweet story, gets at the spirit of the holiday season and the importance of family.
Sally
This little book is the heartwarming story of the Seppalas, a Finnish-American family, who wonder if they can celebrate Christmas with their older brother lost at sea. Very sweet!
David
A very moving Christmas story read out loud to the family. Almost shed a couple tears of joy at the end.
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2011
Terrah
Terrah marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2010
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2009
Vesra (When She Reads)
Vesra (When She Reads) marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2009
Miss Rumphius Chanticleer and the Fox Eleanor Hattie and the Wild Waves: A Story From Brooklyn Island Boy