Start by marking “Knock, Knock” as Want to Read:
Knock, Knock

Knock, Knock

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The knock-knock joke: a kid classic. So many funny, punny punchlines. It was just screaming for its own book. To do this classic joke justice, we decided to gather fourteen of the best-known and most talented children?s book artists to illustrate their favorite punchlines. The results are wacky, zany, and absolutely hilarious. If you knock on Tomie dePaola?s door, beware! ...more
Published September 20th 2007 by Dial Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Knock, Knock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knock, Knock

Janet
Any book that makes my kids (4 and 7) laugh on the first read-through and inspires a half-hour of knock-knock improv afterward gets 5 stars from me, any day.
Libby
My kids are completely into jokes these days, especially knock-knock jokes. They still don't quite "get" what makes jokes funny (although with me for a mother, they may never...), but that doesn't stop them from laughing their heads off when one of them tells (or makes up a joke). This collection was neat because each joke was illustrated by a different artist, mostly well-known children's illustrators. The jokes ranged in both their level (some I could explain to the kids, some I didn't bother ...more
Carmen
Knock knock jokes written and illustrated by some beloved children's authors/illustrators. Kindergarten and first grade students enjoyed identifying the art styles of some illustrators we have studied, though some jokes were definitely stronger than others. Also included brief bios from each of the contributors. A fun read-aloud for young elementary students.
Shoshana
The jokes are painfully lame, but everything else is amazing.

I very much appreciate that a good chunk of the illustrators said they would like some sort of food to come a-knockin'.
Stephanie
This book is hysterical! The entire book is comprised of knock-knock jokes by different authors and illustrators. Children love knock-knock jokes. This book can be used to discuss word play with students. After reading the book, students can write their own knock-knock jokes. I believe this is one of the books that children will talk about for months, and maybe even years, after they read it. Great for a classroom library!
Angie
My favorites are Judy Schachner's and Saxton Freymann's. Though they were all pretty funny.

I never remember punch lines to jokes. But the pics are the best part of this book, anyway!

I think we have ... something very similar at school ... about Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road with lots of authors/illustrators answers. Will need to get this one to go along with it. How did I miss it?
Mrs. Brandt
Each joke is expertly brought to life by one of 14 well known illustrators. I distributed other books by these 14 illustrators to the students and asked them to compare and contrast the different styles. The challenge to the students was then to match the illustrator to the joke, based on the characteristics of the style
Amber
Best Knock Knock joke book I have seen in a while. Funny and great illustrations. There is a collection of some of the most popular artist's work in this book. It is fun to go back through it just to match faces with the work, as there is a little quote from each illustrator at the end of the book.
Holly
Jun 15, 2010 Holly added it
Recommends it for: whimsical, humorous people who want to read to children
My child thought this book was great. We read it enough times he actually understood the repetition of "Knock Knock" and he would respond, "Who's there?" The collaboration of illustrators on this book is enough to take a peek. And some of the jokes aren't half bad either.
Kate
I say it all the time - I hate jokes. And only one or two of these elicited even a slight chuckle. But, I did enjoy the collection of illustrators and the chance to see their interpretations of some classic and not so classic knock knock jokes.
Ubalstecha
Excellent collection of silly, lame and funny Knock! Knock! jokes. This is a fun one to share with pre-schoolers and primary students because they are so into this form of humour.
M
This has given some form for my preschooler's jokes. She still tries her own, but they make more sense now! Fun preschool senses of humor.

Francie
May 20, 2009 Francie marked it as to-read
Amelie and her big sibs love knock-knock jokes! Hope to find this at the library for the summer reading program!
Jim
the four year old i read it to thought it okay, he didn't understand many of them. but a6 year old will loveit
Lisa
Love the concept. This joke book could be used as a springboard for an illustrator/author study.
Vanessa
This is a fun Knock Knock book because it is illustrated by several great illustrators.
Magpie67
Fun and silly! We love knock knock jokes in our house.
Amy Brown
Dec 02, 2007 Amy Brown rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: humor, nonfiction
Shelves: k-3rdgrade
Jokes by fourteen wacky & talented artists.
Marcus
I really really love funny jokes!
Nik
I really liked the jokes in this book.
Tracy
Tracy added it
Mar 17, 2015
Natasha Ramsay
Natasha Ramsay marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Gary Masskin
Gary Masskin marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sophie Blackall grew up in Australia where she learned to draw on the beach with sticks, which has not altogether helped her sense of perspective. She completed a Bachelor of Design in Sydney, which furnished her with useful Letraset, bromide and enlarger machine skills. The following few years were spent painting robotic characters for theme parks, providing the hands for a DIY television show, a ...more
More about Sophie Blackall...
Missed Connections: Love, Lost & Found The Baby Tree Are You Awake? Ivy and Bean Paper Dolls Ivy and Bean Mini Notes