Start by marking “Home of the Gentry” as Want to Read:
Home of the Gentry

Home of the Gentry

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,563 ratings  ·  63 reviews
"Home of the Gentry" is a novel by Ivan Turgenev published in the January 1859 issue of "Sovremennik". It was enthusiastically received by the Russian society and remained his least controversial and most widely-read novel until the end of the 19th century. It was turned into a movie by Andrey Konchalovsky in 1969.

The novel's protagonist is Fyodor Ivanych Lavretsky, a nobl
Published June 30th 1970 by Penguin Classics (first published 1858)

To ask other readers questions about Home of the Gentry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home of the Gentry

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor DostoyevskyThe Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoyThe Master and Margarita by Mikhail BulgakovWar and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Best Russian Literature
74th out of 380 books — 1,553 voters
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor DostoyevskyAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoyThe Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyWar and Peace by Leo TolstoyThe Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
Greatest Russian Novels of All Time
25th out of 99 books — 301 voters

More lists with this book...

Chiara Pagliochini
“Che cosa pensarono, che cosa sentirono entrambi? Chi può saperlo? Chi può dirlo? Ci sono dei momenti nella vita, dei sentimenti… che si possono soltanto indicare – per poi passare oltre.”

Se il talento di Turgenev si potesse imbottigliare in una sola espressione, direi che quel “passare oltre” è sufficientemente riassuntivo della sua poetica.
I miei personaggi sono troppo infelici e non voglio dilungarmi sui modi della loro infelicità? Passiamo oltre.
La genealogia che sto dando di loro rischia
Tamaş Andrei
"Un cuib de nobili" este un roman care emană melancolie transmisibilă. Paginile sale descriu prima iubire a unui tânăr nobil rus, o iubire care -pentru el- începe cu capul în nori și, psihic, se termină cu capul de toți pereții.

Câteva pasaje care ar surprinde cel mai bine melancolia:

1. În inimă am noi simțăminte rare,
Din suflet soarta pruncul nu mi-a smuls,
Mi-am ars icoanele din sanctuare,
Iar azi mă-nchin la tot ce-am ars demult.

2. ...Eu și cei ca mine, bătrânii, avem o îndeletnicire pe ca
Rather interesting than captivating. After 50 pages it was quite predictable he will fall for her and for a while I had the feeling I was reading the Russian version of "Pride and prejudice", but thank goodness it wasn't so. I am a fan of happy endings but I swear, if this one ended happily I wouldn't have read Turgenev again.

Turgenev has an interesting way of setting his work, maybe I'll get into details after finishing Fathers and Sons.

Interesting fact: in 1979, a Russian discovered an aste
Julie Bozza
Excellent. A short novel of finely observed characters, who are caught in a time of such great change that the different generations might be measured in a decade rather than the usual quarter-century. The setting and ways of life are also nicely observed, so that the reader gets a real feel for Russian life at the time and how it contrasts with European life.

The two main characters - Liza and Lavretsky - are terrific, and provide interesting arguments on behalf of Russia, even if not everything
جابر طاحون

ده ايفان تورجنيف ؟
دي أحد أعمدة الأدب الروسي ؟
دي ليزا المقابلة ل آلام فرتر ؟
تشارلز مورجان أفرد أكثر من فصل للحديث عن تورجنيف و كان بيفضله اسلوبه الواضح أكثر من دستوفيسكي و يدرج وصف دستوفيسكي " بالحصان الحرون " أما تورجنيف بالهادئ الواضح و هو ما يبقي .

لا أنكر وضوح اسلوبه ، لكن ماذا يعني أن أكون مسترسل في القراءة ، و يقابلني دائمًا " عزيزي القارئ " و تخرجني كلية من جو الرواية ؟
ءأقرأ تعريف عن من سًميت الرواية باسمها بعد أكثر من 20 فصل ؟
من سُميت باسمها الرواية _ ليزا _ ليس لها حضور واصع لتكون شخصي
Paul Jellinek
Turgenev at his best. Beautifully rendered prose with the most penetrating descriptions of both his characters and the world they inhabit.
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in May 1998.

This is the novel which made Turgenev's name outside Russia. The Russian title, Dvoranskoye gnezdo, has connotations of "Nest" rather than "Home", but there isn't really an easy way to translate that into English. The novel is really about Russia, perhaps even more so than is the case with most Russian novels. It deals with the relationship between the aristocracy and the land, and the way that the true Russian returns to his native country, no ma
Laura Jo
(Out of the box I must state here that I read this novel in Russian, and not the edition listed above).
The older I get, the more I love Turgenev, and appreciate him vis-a-vis his contemporaries in the arena of the 19th-century Russian novel. His tone and diction seem flawless to me, and he exercises consistent good taste and restraint in all aspects of his creative writing. He embraces his own Francophile tendencies, while at the same time highlighting the incongruities of transplanting French c
At first I really thought that maybe I won't like it as I'm not a fan of russian literature/historical fiction but Turgenev did a really great job. The plot is simple and easy to read with pleasure.
Sep 20, 2008 Hamish rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: lit
I've realized what it is that I like about Turgenev. Granted, his books are all pretty much the same (though this is a charge you could aim at a lot of writers) and kind of predictable, yet there's just something really enjoyable about reading them. There's a sort of gentleness and kindness, tempered by a sadness, that pervades them, plus he has a lovely prose style. I don't think he's necessarily ever written an all-time classic, yet I find myself reading him more often than other writers who I ...more
Las pocas novelas de Turgueniev que leí reúnen estructuras y recurrencias dramáticas muy similares. Siempre la naturaleza, siempre la presencia digna de los mujiks y siervos, la influencia de la cultura francesa y alemana, etc. Y sin embargo, no me canso de leerlo.

He vuelto sobre este párrafo bellísimo, la declaración de principios de Lisa, la heroína sublime...
-No, tía mía –profirió-, no hable usted así; estoy decidida; he rezado, he pedido consejo a Dios; todo ha acabado; ha acabado mi vida
O povestioară mică și frumoasă de dragoste, în stil rusesc. Peste tot se zice că Turgheniev este un scriitor aparținând realismului însă am recunoscut elemente de romantism care mi-au plăcut mult: o sărutare furată noaptea pe bancuța de sub tei, raze de lună care transformă camera într-o catedrală, o iubire neîmplinită și neacceptată de regulile societății etc.

Doar la Montesquieu am mai întâlnit stilul acesta de a ironiza cu asprime fățărnicia și prostia din înalta societate. Ca în toate romanel
Perry Whitford
A nobleman and landowner named Ivan Lavretsky returns to Russia after leaving his faithless wife in France, only to fall in love with a beautiful and pious cousin, Elizaveta Kalitin.

When Ivan learns by a newspaper article that his wife is suspected to have died, the way seems clear for him to find happiness with Liza. But her mother, Marya, is much taken with her daughter's other suitor, the cultured Panshin.

This is a remarkably thoughtful and unassuming story, but it weaves a wonderful spell. T
Home of the Gentry by Ivan Turgenev

It seems that critics and perhaps readers have been unfair with Ivan Turgenev. Here we have a giant writer and instead of worldwide acclaim and fame, he has to “live on” in the shadow of Tolstoy, Chekhov and Dostoyevsky.
On the other hand, you could say
- If only Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky would be read more, it would still be something, or:
- Some of these themes: agriculture, peasants, moeurs are obsolete and perhaps
- It is preposterous to think young people of th
Manuel Alfonseca
A rather predictable drama about the love between a young woman and an older man.
Aug 02, 2011 Alex rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those of a reflective disposition.
Ivan Turgenev's quietly elegaic, often sad, accounts of middle class life in his native countryside provide an invaluable window on the Russian soul for the western reader. His descriptions of the natural scene are a constant delight though suffused with melancholy since hindsight tells us that, within the space of two generations, an entire way of life will vanish forever in the turmoil of the Russian Revolution
A volte un libro può chiamare un altro libro; il richiamo può essere molto forte e non bisogna comportarsi come Ulisse quando incontra le sirene ma anzi fare tutto il contrario: abbandonarsi al suo canto e leggere il libro "sirena".
Mi è successo proprio così mentre leggevo vari brani critici presenti nel libro di Puskin "Eugenio Onegin", uno dei quali mi ha colpita. Il brano era scritto da Dostoevskij e citava una certa Liza paragonandola al tipo di bellezza positiva russa di Tatjana. Incuriosit
Resulta refrescante volver de vez en cuando al siglo XIX con sus novelones, sus amores desgraciados, sus salones de recibir, sus juegos de cartas, piezas de piano y conversaciones de sociedad. Si la novela es rusa, encontraremos además la fascinación por París, la nobleza rural, el afán por reformar la calidad de vida del campesino y las grandes fincas agrícolas alejadas de la corte.

Turguénev no es el mejor de los novelistas rusos del XIX porque ese título se lo disputan exclusivamente Tolstoi y
Прекрасная работа Ивана Тургенева! Даже более чем прекрасная – замечательная!

Сложная жизнь, которая настигла героя романа, кажется должна рано или поздно закончится и разрешить его страдания и исполнить надежды. И когда уже кажется счастье близко – внезапные изменения расставляют свои точки…
Russian authors: do they ever write happy endings? Pretty good, but sad. I read this one for the Gutenberg Project - on-line book preservation group.
قصه حب جميله تنتهي بذهاب البطله لخدمه الله تكون راهبه اروع شيء في الروايه هي عند دخوله للكنيسه وكانت هي تقف هناك مشهد رائع
Cristina Popescu
This is a gem of Russian literature and without any doubt one of my favourites ever. For the past 4 years, I've been reading this novel every summer and I still enjoy it as much as I did the first time. Turgenev's style is impeccable and should be read attentively by every wanna-be author, regardless of the times one lives in. Russians understood one big thing that other writers, from other cultures, did not - love is an inexhaustible subject and you don't need big, complicated plots to write a ...more

A Nest of Nobles by Ivan Turgenev
Wonderful novel

Ivan Turgenev is one of the greatest writers of the world.
Fathers and Sons is considered by scholars and writers to be one of the best books ever published and it is included in the top 100 available at the Guardian site.
Ivan Turgenev was not only a genius, but also a great man.
When compared with Tolstoy, he comes across as a role model, whereas the better known writer had many failings.
In the Intellectuals by Paul Johnson I was shocked to read t
Ivan Turgenev is one of my favorite authors. For some reason, he stands small next to those other giants of Russian literature. At the bookstore here, there's almost a whole shelf devoted to Tolstoy, to Dostoevsky. There's not a single book by Turgenev, not even Father's and Sons. Like them his novels are books of ideas, they're philosophical, political---but they're SHORT. While I'm all for diving into a 1,000 page tome, that requires an energy I don't always have. Turgenev's books are quick, r ...more
Hansen Wendlandt
The archetype Russian novel is not a complex recipe: wealthy characters visiting each other at leisure, at least three of whom are mingled in some variety of love, along with someone who says outlandish things at parties, someone who believes their life in Europe proves the superiority/inferiority of Mother Russian, a sassy old woman, and someone addicted to religion. Turgenev’s A Nest of Gentry, while not his best novel, is a perfect example.

The characters fit simply. Panshin is the oddball: “
Jamyang Phuntsok
First of all, the title is bit misleading. The home of the gentry is but a backdrop for an unsuccessful love story, with an underlying theme well expressed by the novel's eccentric heroine Liza - 'happiness on earth does not depend on us'. I was expecting a more detailed and upfront treatment of class distinctions, ideologies, etc of the novel's period.

The story takes off quite slowly with the hero returning to his ancestral home after an unsuccessful marriage (his wife is philandering in Europe
review of
Ivan Turgenev's Home of the Gentry
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - July 29, 2013

I think I started reading this, Turgenev's 2nd novel, around the same time I was reading an SF bk. It seemed like about time to return to Turgenev b/c I'd previously only read Fathers and Sons, his 4th novel, in March of 1976, 37 yrs before. I read Fathers and Sons largely b/c its characters were based on actual revolutionaries, such as Bakunin, that were contemporary w/ Turgenev & that Turgenev had ha
My first Turgenev and certainly not my last. Up till now I always found it hard to get into Russian literature. But I really enjoyed the prose of Home of the Gentry. The protagonist Fyodor Ivanych Lavretsky, a nobleman, returns home to his estate after a long stay abroad. He returns without his wife Varvara as he has severed all contact with her after finding out she betrayed him. Back home, he falls in love with Liza. When he reads about his wife's death in a newspaper, he confesses his love to ...more
Ik las het boek in de vertaling van Monse Weijers. Er is een eerdere Nederlandse vertaling van Karel van het Reve onder de titel Adelsnest (dat geen Nederlands woord is). Ik was onder de indruk van de krachtige en vrome hoofdpersoon, maar ook van de tragiek in het leven van Lavretski. Het typisch Russische 19e eeuwse collectieve minderwaardigheidscomplex speelt ook een rol in dit tragi-komische boek.
  • Tales of Belkin
  • The Village of Stepanchikovo
  • Peter the First
  • Demon
  • Happy Moscow
  • Children of the Arbat (Arbat Tetralogy, #1)
  • What Is to Be Done?
  • Cursed Days: Diary of a Revolution
Ivan Sergeyevich Turgenev (Cyrillic: Иван Тургенев) was a novelist, poet and dramatist, and now ranks as one of the towering figures of Russian literature. His major works include the short-story collection A Sportsman’s Sketches (1852) and the novels Rudin (1856), Home of the Gentry (1859), On the Eve (1860), and Fathers and Sons (1862). These works offer realistic, affectionate portrayals of the ...more
More about Ivan Turgenev...
Fathers and Sons Mumu Sketches from a Hunter's Album First Love Spring Torrents