Start by marking “Dog Lost” as Want to Read:
Dog Lost

Dog Lost

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  398 ratings  ·  107 reviews
You can't judge a dog by its cover: The heroic story of a sweet, loyal pit bull pup who defies expectations and her breed's bad reputation to save the day!

11-year-old Mackenzie has got one friend in the whole world: Cash, his brown-eyed pit bull. His dad won the runt after a long night of drinking and gambling--ever since Mac's mom died, that's all he seems to do, and soon...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Chicken House (first published January 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Lost

Alice
The plot of Dog Lost reads like a list of clichés. Twelve-year-old Mackenzie is given a pit bull puppy by his alcoholic, abusive father, who then loses his temper with the animal and throws it out. The bewildered pup learns to live on the streets, brings a touch of magic to the lonely, falls foul of a dog-fighting ring and saves a few lives. Meanwhile, the council is voting on a motion to ban this dangerous breed from the borough...

Ingrid Lee's prose style, however, keeps the story fresh and eng...more
Steve
I'll admit, the cover reminded me of my dog, so I bought it. Overall, I think this was a very good book. Several important topics are brought up to the reader:
1. the somewhat blind fear that some individuals have toward
the pit bull breed;
2. the discriminatory laws that some towns/cities adopt that
ban or have the breed killed without provocation;
3. The arguments the breed's proponents have toward punishing
negligent or criminal owners instead of the breed;
4. the cruelty and harsh actions tha...more
A.J. Llewellyn
Daquane Brown
After reading this book I come to realize how precious a dog can be to a child. Reading this book I also realized how parents can change a lot, such as Mackenzie's father changing his habits when his mother passed away, and also when his father got the dog for him, it seem nice at first until he wanted the done gone. I mean how can you possibly show love to your child by getting him a pet that you won off of a gamble, so it's not like it was intentional for him to get the pit bull for his son....more
Pamela Kramer
Dog Lost is one of the best children's book I have ever read. And that's saying something as I have read hundreds and hundreds of middle aged children's fiction.

In Dog Lost, Ingrid Lee manages to weave a complex tale which has a dog and a young boy, his love, at the center. There are other important characters and all the characters are fully developed in terms of what is needed by the story. And it's quite a story.

A boy who lives with an abusive father gets a gift of a dog that the father wins...more
Meghan Mcmanis
Dog Lost was a great story about a young boy named Mackenzie and his faithful companion Cash. One day his dad comes into his room and puts a dog on his bed, its a pit bull. Mackenzie names him Cash and they become best friends, Mack tells Cash everything, about his mom dying, trouble at school, his half brother, and so much more. Mackenzie's father unfortunately is an alcoholic and doesnt treat Mack and his half brother Kid with much respect. Kid is always out late and doesnt get along with thei...more
Cole Manning
The book Dog Lost is a great book about a pitbull named Cash, who goes through some hard times. Mack's dad won the dog while he was playing poker and gave her to Mack. At first Mack and Cash did not know what to think of eachother that night but began to love eachother from the start. Mack's dad did not really like the dog in the first place, so when the dog did something bad he wanted to kill her.

Mack could not go anywhere with out getting yelled at. The first time Mack and Cash went to the par...more
Kim
Jul 31, 2010 Kim rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 8-12 year olds who are obsessed with dogs.
Recommended to Kim by: My daughter
Catherine Holden
Mary Jherene
The book I read is called "Dog Lost" by Ingrid Lee. The reason why I chose this book is because when i read the summary, it was fantastic. The plot of this story is Will Cash ever find her boy again? Cash does find her owner when they were saving her from drowning. My favorite quote is, "Cash, come here, Cash. There's a good girl. I love you, Cash." The reason why I liked this quote is because it shows how much Cash's owner loves her. I think the author's writing style is amazing because the aut...more
Judy Adams
Even though it is a junior fiction book, I enjoyed it quite a bit. The story Of young Mackenzie and Cash is about a boy and a dog, and a home life not so great. Sad but yet endearing, any young boy would love this book. Even though Cash is a pit bull, sometimes you just need to look past what people say, just ask the people who have one.
Abby Evangelisto
The most bittersweet book I've ever read. The hatred and cruelty toward both the people and animals is difficult to read, but there is always a hidden undercurrent of hope during even the darkest of circumstances. The heroic actions of Cash the pit bull, the kindness of Abbey the cancer patient, the determination of Mackenzie to find his dog, and the sad situation of the dog-fighter's nephew combine to create a wonderful novel. It's so great how the whole cast comes together at the seemingly hop...more
E. Adrian
Spoilers: Ok, this is a difficult review to write. While I think Lee conveyed the dog and his boy's relationship beautifully I couldn't get through more than half the book. Maybe I'm just sensitive because I own two rescues (one is a pit bull), but when the dad kicks the dog and throws it in the trunk and dumps it in the forest, I couldn't handle it. So I took a break from the book for a few days. Then when I tried to continue reading, I got to the part where those boys want to steal the dog to...more
Kath Ann
A touching story about the love between 11 year old Makenzie and Cash, the pit bull puppy his dad wins in a gambling bet. It covers subjects such as neglect, alcoholism, animal cruelty and a timely fear of certain breeds of dogs. Graphic in some places, endearing, sad, but ultimately it has much redeeming value and a happy ending. The author portrays most things realistically (except perhaps the relationship between a stray tom cat and a dog!). Even though those things might be a bit hard to re...more
Tami
Mackenzie and Cash were the best of friends. Mackenzie’s Dad had brought the little runt home for the boy. From that moment on the two were inseparable.

People in the neighborhood were afraid of Cash. Even though he was gentle and smart, everyone just saw that he was a pit bull. In fact, the city was in the process of banning pit bulls saying that they were unsuitable as pets and dangerous.

One day, Mackenzie’s Dad did the unthinkable. He took Cash away and just dumped him. Mackenzie was devasta...more
Jenny
Perhaps not the greatest literature, but it's a heartwarming story for anyone who loves dogs. Recommended to me by my dog-loving 10-year-old daughter!
Karen Arendt
I didn't think I would like this story because I thought the dog would not fare well. Pit bulls have long been considered dangerous dogs because they are used for fighting. The town in the story considered banning pit bulls. A boy named MacKenzie gets a pit bull that his abusive father won in a poker game. Mackenzie loves the dog, but when the dog bites the dad, the dad gets rid of the dog in a fit of anger. The dog learns to survive on his own and even manages to make a difference in others' li...more
Jessica
It was an amazing story on how its not a pit bulls fault that its bad, but the owners. I loved this book and I will not forget about it. It is definitely one of my favorites.
Jenny Christen
Dog Lost discusses a story about an 11-year old's tough life, with an abusive father and a new pit bull puppy that he receives while a pit bull ban is about to take place in his city.

I think this book would be for older ages of students, such as 6th grade and above since it discusses abuse of a child from his father and is filled with emotions that younger students wouldn't understand. This book appealed to me because I not only love dogs, but it sounded like it had a plot that might be suspense...more
Brianna
A quick message from my 10-11 year old self:

DO NOT READ DOG LOST!!!!!!!!! No offence to Ingrid Lee, but this book is terrible. This kid gets a dog, and this dog gets lost (SO ORIGINAL). The kid can't try to find him, because his parents won't let him... and then he finds him years later without trying to! I feel like it is just a waste of time to read.
•••
*starts twitching* oh my... what's with the caps lock?

All I really have to say is, well, I realllllly didn't like this book, and if my younger...more
Carie
Hmmm... I can see kids loving this book - especially the over-the-top heroic ending! Several good messages emerge from the story: not all pit-bulls are mean, neighbors helping neighbors, teachers taking a struggling child under their wing, etc. The writing is simple (4th grade reading level), but the content is for 6th grade and up probably (some curse words, alcohol abuse, and dog fightng).
The author states in the end cap that it was based off a true story. I find it hard to believe that the "...more
Amber Ashleigh Hudson
***NO SPOILERS***

This book was very inspirational, though small it was brilliant, had a great storyline and I couldn't put it down, myself living in the uk and loving dogs made me intrigued to read this book, this book proves how us, humans are blaming the wrong side of the lead, this book brought out a lot of emotions, I laughed and cried, and so did the librarian!, she recommended it to me!
- I recommend this book if you love dogs or just looking for a good read, even if you don't like dogs I...more
Austin K
amazing you people that are my friends should read it
Emily Macri
I must be the biggest sap on the planet.
Kristy McRae
This was a good story, but I was a bit disappointed at the cardboard quality of the characters. Each human character was either all bad, or all good. No shades of gray. While I know this book is meant for the age 9-12 crowd, I don't think the author gives kids enough credit for the ability to understand nuances. Kids are very savvy, and can handle more than black/white cutout characters. The theme of the story is great though--I'm a firm believer that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners, and...more
Letitdriftaway
I read this book for the first time in middle school and have reread it at least twice since. It's an amazing book and would highly recommend it.
Mr. Steve
The cover and the title of this book would bring in readers. Also, it is short and would lend itself to reluctant readers. The ending neatly ties all the characters together in a nice, heart-warming way.

That said, I found the book to be annoyingly unrealistic throughout. I also thought several scenes of abuse were uncomfortable. While that in itself might be a realistic portrayal, I think it could be a bit much for readers who are drawn in by the cute doggy on the cover and the large, spaced out...more
Lisa Rathbun
Not bad but not one of those kids' books you fall in love with even though you're an adult. The author seemed to be aiming for some gritty realism, but the acts of heroism done by the dog at the end (*SPOILER* i.e., stopping a TRAIN!!!??) were absolutely over the top. Characters did seem too simplistic, and everyone ended up knowing everyone else - just too neat of a package. There were a couple bad words too which would make me uncomfortable giving it to my 9 year old to read.
Sandy
This was a book all about second chances. The interconnectedness of all of the major characters makes the community where this takes place feel small and cozy despite the problems that the neighborhood has, and speaks to the goodness in humanity overcoming the evils in a not-preachy way. I also really appreciated the fact that this was a dog book where the dog didn't die - definitely more of an Incredible Journey than Old Yeller.
  • The Boy Who Spoke Dog
  • Sheep
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • Wild River
  • Waggit's Tale
  • Nightmare at the Book Fair
  • Saving Zasha
  • The Cats of Roxville Station
  • The Rescue (Dog Whisperer, #1)
  • Star in the Storm
  • Cracker!: The Best Dog in Vietnam
  • Summer of the Wolves
  • Dolphin Song (Animal Healer, #2)
  • Woman's Best Friend: Women Writers on the Dogs in Their Lives
Ingrid grew up in East York, and then moved to a northern Toronto suburb. As a young girl, she was very quiet, and she loved to read. She wanted to be like her hero, Madame Curie, so she studied very hard when she wasn't reading.

When she grew up, Ingrid became a teacher. She taught classes and designed curriculum plans for the Board of Education. While she wrote lesson plans and watched her own ch...more
More about Ingrid Lee...