Start by marking “Charm Offensive: How China's Soft Power Is Transforming the World” as Want to Read:
Charm Offensive: How China's Soft Power Is Transforming the World

Charm Offensive: How China's Soft Power Is Transforming the World

3.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
At the beginning of the twenty-first century, China is poised to become a major global power. And though much has been written of China’s rise, a crucial aspect of this transformation has gone largely unnoticed: the way that China is using soft power to appeal to its neighbors and to distant countries alike.
This book is the first to examine the significance of China’s rece
Published May 28th 2007 by Yale University Press (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Charm Offensive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charm Offensive

Stephen
Jul 17, 2008 Stephen rated it really liked it
Shelves: asia, foreign-policy
Useful, thoughtful discussion of an important development in world affairs. JK looks from a number of directions at how China's low-key realism and self-interest is increasing its influence in key parts of the developing world, while Washington's combination of finger-pointing and idealism has weakened American clout.

Reads, as another reviewer pointed out, like a long Kurlantzick magazine article; more vibrant journalistic color might have livened the story up a bit, but it's worth having a loo
Manfred
Sep 04, 2007 Manfred rated it did not like it
Kurlantzick has taken what should be a fairly interesting topic---China's purportedly increased "soft power" around the world---and made it simply a laundry list of places where the PRC did something or another popular, contrasted against the obvious fact that America is unpopular just about anywhere but Albania and, perhaps, Poland.

So what? Well, it is menacing, says the author. Why? Because China is alleged to WANT to see its model of authoritarianism replicated abroad. There is no real proof
George
Sep 13, 2008 George rated it really liked it
Thanks Natalie:
A good book, and although it took me a while to finish it, I found it quite interesting. I do think however that the author could have explored the theme of how the US could combat China's growing soft influence; seems to me that he skimmed this subject and he could have developed this theme a bit more. In the end he seem to back off from his overall theme in that he states that China still has a long way to go.
Overall however a good read especially if you are interested in poly s
Natalie  wolfe
May 16, 2008 Natalie wolfe rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in politics, and the fate of our nation
Well this book has been really interesting so far. it is very scary how a nation with so many internal problems and a history of human rights violations to its own people can not only appear to the public as successful and trustworthy but also cary so much weight and influence in the world wide scope of things. so far i would recommend it but, we shall see.

Kate
Dec 15, 2007 Kate rated it it was ok
The problem with this book for a bureaucrat like yours truly is that it summarizes the outputs of Chinese soft power but gives me no sense of how China builds its diplomatic corps and the ties of that group to activities like its Chinese teaching efforts. That's what I went in hoping to find ... uh, not that I do this for a living or anything.
Jason
Dec 28, 2007 Jason rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who think the u.s. is "worse" than china
This book definately puts people on the right track as to what is actuall happening in the world, and allows us to see the truth which is: China is worse than the U.S., please let Americans see the value and urgency of weighing the scale accurately!
Segalwilliams
May 07, 2010 Segalwilliams rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The only good thing I got out of this book was that Kurlantcick introduces some important ideas. If he had then discussed these ideas more deeply, it could have been a good book. Instead, it feels more like a Cold War panic tale.
Gail
Jan 02, 2008 Gail rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
American's soft power deficit vs China's new tool of soft power may push countries to choose between the two.

Alex
Jun 21, 2009 Alex rated it it was ok
I didnt like the writing. it was eye-opening in terms on how politics happens
Barron
Dec 24, 2007 Barron rated it liked it
So far, it's like reading a long Kurlantzick article.
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Geoff Wright
Geoff Wright marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
B. Cheng
B. Cheng rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Christian
Christian rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Sean
Sean rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Jairo Neto
Jairo Neto marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Arisa
Arisa marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Ceksinferna
Ceksinferna marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Kelsey Broderick
Kelsey Broderick rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Austin Riley
Austin Riley marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Eric Smith
Eric Smith rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2015