Start by marking “The Journals of Patrick Gass: Member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition” as Want to Read:
The Journals of Patrick Gass: Member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition

The Journals of Patrick Gass: Member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  21 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Sergeant Patrick Gass's journal -- never widely available to a general audience -- is the most readable and straightforward firsthand account of the Lewis and Clark expedition, largely because Gass focused on the human aspects of the epic journey. In this new edition, Carol MacGregor's thorough annotation of the journal and the inclusion of Gass's previously unknown accoun ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Mountain Press Publishing Company (first published August 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Journals of Patrick Gass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journals of Patrick Gass

Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 10, 2014 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, biography
My last name is Gass...I had to read this book. LOL

This book is surprisingly easy to read as it was written during the Lewis and Clark expedition. The language is straight forward and the accounts are not only relatively short and to the point but I found them very interesting.

True the book is full of accounts of how many deer the hunting party brought in and where the flat boat got stuck and for how long and what other boats were in service.

But it's also filled with accounts of meetings with t
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 10, 2014 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, biography
My last name is Gass...I had to read this book. LOL

But it's also filled with accounts of meetings with t
Ray Ziemer
Apr 25, 2016 Ray Ziemer rated it liked it
This was a bargain I couldn't resist, a brand-new book still in plastic wrapper, on clearance at the Mark Twain Book Store in Virginia City, NV. The important thing, of course, is the journal Patrick Gass kept while a member of Lewis and Clark's Corps of Discovery. Though not as colorful or detailed as Lewis's journal, or as thorough and complete as Clark's, it still made enjoyable reading. Gass, who was elected by the men and named sergeant after Floyd's death, kept his journal with commendable ...more
bert-bobbi
Oct 19, 2010 bert-bobbi rated it really liked it
Patrick Gass was from Chambersburg, PA where my husband was born, so we picked this book to read out loud to each other. Meriweather Lewis died three years after the Corps of Discovery's 30-month (+/-) trip to the Pacific and back on behalf of Jefforson's manifest destiny philosophy. Lewis never managed to compile the journals from all the 30+ Corps members (after his death it was finally compiled). Gass jumped out there right after the completion of the trip and published his journal as a sourc ...more
Rachelfm
I thought this was in some ways more readable than the Journals of Lewis and Clark. It provided valuable insights for my project. I found Carol Lynn MacGregor's extensive notes and scholarship to be extremely valuable.
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Linda Donohue
Linda Donohue marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Tiffany Manning
Tiffany Manning marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Nicholas Palmer
Nicholas Palmer marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Susan
Susan added it
May 10, 2016
John Edward
John Edward marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Jordan
Jordan rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
blake
blake rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Safak
Safak marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
lisa shriner
lisa shriner marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Sherri Anderson
Sherri Anderson rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Ian Amweg
Ian Amweg is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2015
Anne Boswell taylor
Anne Boswell taylor rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2014
Bobbie Reynolds
Bobbie Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2014
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Brandon Peterson
Brandon Peterson rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Terrywerts
Terrywerts rated it really liked it
May 29, 2014
Peter Chitwood
Peter Chitwood rated it really liked it
May 12, 2014
Geniece
Geniece marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014