Start by marking “The Journals of Patrick Gass: Member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition” as Want to Read:
The Journals of Patrick Gass: Member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition

The Journals of Patrick Gass: Member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Sergeant Patrick Gass's journal -- never widely available to a general audience -- is the most readable and straightforward firsthand account of the Lewis and Clark expedition, largely because Gass focused on the human aspects of the epic journey. In this new edition, Carol MacGregor's thorough annotation of the journal and the inclusion of Gass's previously unknown accoun ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Mountain Press Publishing Company (first published August 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Journals of Patrick Gass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journals of Patrick Gass

Mike (the Paladin)
My last name is Gass...I had to read this book. LOL

This book is surprisingly easy to read as it was written during the Lewis and Clark expedition. The language is straight forward and the accounts are not only relatively short and to the point but I found them very interesting.

True the book is full of accounts of how many deer the hunting party brought in and where the flat boat got stuck and for how long and what other boats were in service.

But it's also filled with accounts of meetings with t
Mike (the Paladin)
My last name is Gass...I had to read this book. LOL

But it's also filled with accounts of meetings with t
Ray Ziemer
This was a bargain I couldn't resist, a brand-new book still in plastic wrapper, on clearance at the Mark Twain Book Store in Virginia City, NV. The important thing, of course, is the journal Patrick Gass kept while a member of Lewis and Clark's Corps of Discovery. Though not as colorful or detailed as Lewis's journal, or as thorough and complete as Clark's, it still made enjoyable reading. Gass, who was elected by the men and named sergeant after Floyd's death, kept his journal with commendable ...more
bert-bobbi
Patrick Gass was from Chambersburg, PA where my husband was born, so we picked this book to read out loud to each other. Meriweather Lewis died three years after the Corps of Discovery's 30-month (+/-) trip to the Pacific and back on behalf of Jefforson's manifest destiny philosophy. Lewis never managed to compile the journals from all the 30+ Corps members (after his death it was finally compiled). Gass jumped out there right after the completion of the trip and published his journal as a sourc ...more
Rachelfm
I thought this was in some ways more readable than the Journals of Lewis and Clark. It provided valuable insights for my project. I found Carol Lynn MacGregor's extensive notes and scholarship to be extremely valuable.
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Ian Amweg
Ian Amweg is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2015
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Geniece
Geniece marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Daniel Kessler
Daniel Kessler marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
RNW
RNW added it
Jan 15, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Dec 30, 2013
Sandra Pfeifer
Sandra Pfeifer marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Casey Wheeler
Casey Wheeler marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2012
Crystal Holmbeck
Crystal Holmbeck marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2012
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2012
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 28, 2012
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2012
Gass's Journal of the Lewis and Clark Expedition Lewis and Clark's Journal to the Rocky Mountains Lewis and Clarke's Journal to the Rocky Mountains in the Years 1804-5-6 as Related by Patrick Gass One of the Officers in the Expedition Gass's Journal Of The Lewis And Clark Expedition Lewis and Clarke's Journal to the Rocky Mountains in the Years 1804,-5,-6