Start by marking “Tripping Over the Lunch Lady: And Other School Stories” as Want to Read:
Tripping Over the Lunch Lady: And Other School Stories

Tripping Over the Lunch Lady: And Other School Stories

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  309 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Do you remember middle school? Are you trying to forget, thank you very much?

Well, these ten short stories will certainly remind young readers of the trials and tribulations of their everyday existence . . . and make them laugh out loud at the same time.

From Angela Johnson's funny story about a klutzy girl who thinks that square dancing will save her from the evil trampoli
Published July 22nd 2004 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Tripping Over the Lunch Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tripping Over the Lunch Lady

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Banned Books 2007-2008
82nd out of 85 books — 198 voters
Geektastic by Holly BlackThe Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. RowlingHow They Met, and Other Stories by David LevithanLet It Snow by Maureen JohnsonBeware the Little White Rabbit by Shannon Delany
YA Short Stories & Collections
273rd out of 306 books — 148 voters

More lists with this book...

Crystal Marcos
Apr 06, 2012 Crystal Marcos rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: middle school, adults
I picked up Tripping Over the Lunch Lady: And Other School Stories because I loved the title and the humorous cover. This book brought me back to my childhood instantly from the beginning line on the introduction page, "What do I remember most about school?" A clever compiling of 10 stories of 10 children's authors answering that very question. The stories were true to life, funny, and very entertaining. I only wish there were more stories!

I enjoyed reading the extra information provided after
Pam
Jan 20, 2013 Pam rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-chapter
I admit I'm not a kid, nor an elementary school teacher or even a parent of an elementary school child so I suppose that it does not matter that I did not really like this book. Like most books full of short stories, there were good ones like "Science Friction" by David Lubar and "Tripping Over the Lunch Lady" by Angela Johnson and bad ones, or at least ones I did not get, like "How I Got My English A" by Avi.

I suspect part of my problem was that I didn't enjoy elementary school all that much,
Allison
Mar 06, 2013 Allison rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
A collection of short stories from well-known authors such as Avi, Rachel Vail, and Sarah Weeks, to name a few. Many of the stories were well-done, taking me back in time to my elementary and middle school days. A few were a bit confusing to read, notably Avi's, and I wonder if it reads easier or harder for children who are the target age. Regardless, it was a good book to read and realize that everyone has had similar school experiences - no one just coasts though. Each story ends with a questi ...more
Bridget Yarusso
Apr 26, 2013 Bridget Yarusso rated it really liked it
As I reenter the young adult lit scene, I am reminded of the many awkward moments of adolescence as well as how the young mind tries to make sense of it all. This book taps into those memories through ten short stories told by YAL authors who know their audience. I enjoyed reading and reconnecting with my middle school days - although I am glad to reminisce and NOT relive. My favorite stories were "How I Got my English A", "Science Friction", "The Desk" and "The Girls' Room". I would certainly r ...more
Melody
Aug 15, 2015 Melody rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-fiction
I do love school stories, AND anthologies.
Scott Williams
Feb 16, 2014 Fahad Salem rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
nice
Mas5thgrade2012
This book was really good! I recommend it to people. I liked how there were short stories, not one story!
Horse29

LOL I LOVE THIS BOOK ITS HILLARIOUSE.. U SHOULD READ IT <3--CANDYLOVER51

That book was funney with all of the stories in one 177 page book
evilteddybear

It was a great book, recommed to people like you!!!!
-pbandj23

i liked this book it was funny

omg love this book funny <3

~I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! IT IS SOOOOO FUNNY LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!(:(:(:(:<3<3<3<3
~PURPLEROCKSTAR!!!!!!!
Erin
May 23, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it
A great collection of short stories that really captures the essence of being in school - the embarrassment, boring assignments, friends, gross food, the works. I really enjoyed all the stories, except for the one comic in middle, which I just could't get into. The stories seemed pretty well split between boys and girl characters, so a good recommendation for anyone who currently struggles with the wilderness of school, or anyone who has memories of those experiences.
Lilli
Oct 19, 2007 Lilli rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers for students
this is a great collection of stories for late elementary to middle school students--particularly as a read-aloud. our class actually gave "the crush" a round of unsolicited applause at the story's finish! the stories are about middle-school age kids and most are humorous. all are well written. lastly, and not-for-nothing, it is an enjoyable book to read aloud as well--the tales are reminiscent for us older (past 15) folks.
B
Dec 11, 2008 B rated it really liked it
J Short stories. Mostly funny short stories about school life written by well known children's authors. I love the school pictures of the authors and some cute personal facts like what subject they liked, etc. at the end of each short story. For all elem and even some middle school...depends on the story
Raven
May 19, 2011 Raven is currently reading it
I think that this book so funny and interesting. I loved all of the characters but my favorite was the little clumsy boy that was trying to square dance. He almost broke every body ankle. I would recommend this book to my friends that like lots of comedy because this book is filled with it.
Amanda
This book is really funny!

I liked this book.I really like the stories in this book. I think all older kids (middle school) would like this book. This book is a quick read and quite intresting. (Even if the stories are exagerrated.) So if you like short funny stoires read this book.
Carena
Oct 05, 2015 Carena added it
Funny, Avi's Contribution was my favorite
Elizabeth
I did not read the whole thing but it does not really matter because each chapter is a new story from a new author. But I really like Avi chapter about being kidnapped with his "teecher" and "righting a handsome note"(he had really bad grammar problems and ears)
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I enjoyed this collection of short stories, all of which take place in school. I especially liked the title story by Angela Johnson, which was hilarious. This would be a great book to read, story by story, to an elementary school class.
Tattered Cover Book Store
This book is on the bibliography of books challenged, restricted, removed or banned in 2007-2008 put out by Robert P. Doyle and the American Library Association. More info at http://www.ila.org/pdf/2008banned.pdf
Jane
Feb 20, 2011 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, humor
Some of the stories were decent, but not as enchanting as, say, each chapter of Pippi Longstocking or a few other humorous books I can think of where each chapter is its own story.
Melanie Swider
My favorite short story in this collection was Experts, Incorporated by Sarah Weeks- will definitely read this short story aloud next year. Great story for discussion too!
Vanekallie
Dec 14, 2008 Vanekallie rated it really liked it
This book was one that you don't want to put down. What was really hard to believe was that all the authors baded these stories off their school experiences.
Awall59
Nov 16, 2012 Awall59 rated it really liked it
Shelves:
this book has many storey and is grate when you get into the mood even my reading teacher wanted to pick it up and read it lol
Beth Mcquown
Jul 17, 2010 Beth Mcquown rated it really liked it
This was a really funny book. Some of those stories are ones that are similar to mine. Funny, for a kid's book.
Mas5thgrade2012
GREAT BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~PBANDJ23~

It was a very good BOOK!!!$@#%^^&*()_+
*~1111111111~*
Shannon
Feb 15, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
I though this book was cute and perfect for the middle school reader. The stories are fun and entertaining.
Marisa
Sep 18, 2010 Marisa rated it it was amazing
A great set of short stories to begin the year with. We especially LOVE "How I Got My English A" by Avi.
Victoria Whipple
Sep 01, 2009 Victoria Whipple rated it liked it
Shelves: thms, tcp
A collection of stories about school written by well-known children's authors.
Grace Anne
May 17, 2011 Grace Anne rated it it was amazing
I loved this book it has many stories in it but they are all very interesting and funny.
Donda
Aug 01, 2011 Donda rated it really liked it
Short stories that could be read in a class period or two to your class.
  • How Angel Peterson Got His Name
  • The 6th Grade Nickname Game
  • The 7th Garfield Treasury
  • Knucklehead: Tall Tales and Almost True Stories of Growing up Scieszka
  • The Tarantula in My Purse: and 172 Other Wild Pets
  • In the Land of the Lawn Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #1)
  • The Word Eater
  • Salt in His Shoes: Michael Jordan in Pursuit of a Dream
  • One
  • Bandit's Moon
  • Teammates
  • Who Was Eleanor Roosevelt?
  • The Library Card
  • Class Favorite
  • Mr. Wayne's Masterpiece
  • 13: Thirteen Stories That Capture the Agony and Ecstasy of Being Thirteen
  • Everybody Bugs Out
  • 14 Cows for America
Poet, writer, educator, and activist Nancy E. Mercado is the author of It Concerns the Madness (2000) and editor of the children’s anthology if the world were mine (2003). She earned a BA from Rutgers University, an MA from New York University, and a PhD in English from SUNY-Binghamton. Latino Leaders Magazine hailed Mercado as “one of the most celebrated members of the Puerto Rican literary movem ...more
More about Nancy E. Mercado...