Start by marking “The Story of a Million Years” as Want to Read:
The Story of a Million Years

The Story of a Million Years

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  159 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The acclaimed poet and story writer David Huddle weaves a masterly portrait of two couples and their shared histories, desires, and secrets. Marcy, Allen, Uta, Jimmy -- each becomes the hero of his or her own story, as all mine the past for evidence of goodness.
David Huddle moves with remarkable agility from the imagination of a precocious adolescent girl, to the fears of
Published September 15th 2000 by Mariner Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of a Million Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of a Million Years

Ursula
May 19, 2009 Ursula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a remarkable and tender book. I read it almost a decade ago yet it still remains vivid in my memory. Several scenes are rendered with such physical and emotional precision that you're sure to think of them often as you go about your days. There is a restaurant scene in particular that I'll never forget. There is a Lolita quality to this book yet it remains unique and fresh. I recommend this book to the languid reader. Relish these pages. Each chapter is a little cupcake.
Jessica
Sep 24, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
I found this book by way of recommendation from the literary agent who represented the author and to whom the book is dedicated. So just a little biased of an opinion. I can see the appeal of the various chapters changing viewpoints between the members of two married couples and a few others central to the story. But I never fully understood what the point was. If it was just to see how each person felt about their relationships and friendships, then it was successful and pretty good. But there ...more
Laura McNeal
Sep 20, 2012 Laura McNeal rated it it was amazing
I read this book at least five years ago and it has stayed with me all this time. Indelible.
Lizzie
Mar 15, 2010 Lizzie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anybody with secrets
Shelves: fiction, read-in-2010
This novel starts with a woman recalling her affair, at age 15, with an older man, the husband of her mother's friend. Then other people tell their stories, a web of intersected relationships. Everyone has secrets, but they all think they can see through their spouses and friends and know their secrets.
This book gave me a lot to think about, partly because I had a similar affair when I was a teenager, partly because I'm married now and trying to understand my spouse and navigate the balance of k
Susann
Jun 17, 2008 Susann rated it liked it
Shelves: re-read
One of my goodreads quotes is from this book, so I thought I should re-read it. Each chapter is told from a different character's point of view, and my favorite is still the chapter about the bookish character (Suzanne). The book covers the history and the friendship between/among two couples/four friends. It's about the choices we make and the secrets we keep from one another. I was most intrigued with the idea of how sometimes we may think we're keeping a secret from someone,but that person ma ...more
John
Mar 06, 2008 John rated it it was amazing
storytelling by omission, coupled with luminous but unostentatious prose, this is a masterful group portrait of two couples, their shared relationships, and the instances in which their individual lives echo in each other. beginning with a secret affair between 15-year-old Marcy and the husband of her mother's friend, the story moves effortlessly between various perspectives and moments, presenting a stunning, moving, classically relevant tale in which each character seeks to recapture a kernel ...more
Michael Whitaker
Aug 20, 2013 Michael Whitaker rated it it was ok
Though the book was well written - that is what I think kept me reading - the jumbled story of the two couples left me wanting more. I quickly grew bored of reading of affairs and extramarital affairs. Marcy, the center of these stories' universe, was quite a bland character, and was absolutely wonderfully intriguing to everyone, aparently, besides me. The first and last chapters were worth the price of admission and the time spent reading all the others.
Kelly
Feb 23, 2008 Kelly rated it it was ok
I was expecting a story, but the book was really about secrets (something you would never tell someone in a million years) so basically the characters are remembering moments from their lives. I think I didn't like this much as I could have because I'm getting a little tired of books where each chapter is a first person perspective by a character. The problem is that in many cases, including this book, the characters all have the same style and voice.
Ben Rameaka
Feb 17, 2008 Ben Rameaka rated it really liked it
Eliza
Mar 30, 2013 Eliza rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-college, 2013
When David's most recent book came out, I got this one, too. Actually, I think Kim got it for me. Still haven't read the most recent, but I just retread this. I loved it in college, but I get it more now. It's so beautiful. David Huddle would be a must read author for me even if I didn't know him personally. I think I need to retread LaTour Dreams of the Wolf Girl, too.
Lizz
Jul 09, 2007 Lizz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is really interesting...each chapter is from a different point of view and each person has their own secret they are hiding (or think they are hiding). it is well written and a quick read- i would definitely recommend it if you are looking for a more intelligent beach read kind of book.
Rebecca
May 14, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
Huddle was my favorite professor in college, incredibly smart, smartly funny, and most importantly - brought some of my favorite authors into my life. His class was on modern short fiction, and some of the authors he recommended/forced upon us actually changed my life.
Leslie
Jul 07, 2013 Leslie rated it liked it
This is a book that is really a collection of chapters each told by a different character, but loosely tied together. It is about relationships, and what we choose to share in the them, I found it to be a quick read that was alright.
Scottie
Jan 04, 2013 Scottie rated it really liked it
I've started reading this book twice before and it got lost in the shuffle or just shunted aside for a more exciting read.

But this time, I loved it. I'll have these characters in my thoughts a long, long time, perhaps forever.
Nina
Nov 13, 2012 Nina rated it it was ok
Per the author's legacy, reads like a set of short stories instead of a holistic novel. Even towards the end, I had little empathy for the lead characters, and some were completely dropped altogether.
Robyn Miller
Oct 09, 2011 Robyn Miller rated it it was amazing
Even better the second time around!!! Love this man!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Inside characters' minds
Notcathy J
Jun 15, 2007 Notcathy J rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"boring"
Stevie Devine
Stevie Devine rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Sharon Fulwood
Sharon Fulwood marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Bendis
Bendis marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Nolan
Nolan marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Jerry
Jerry rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Angela
Angela added it
Feb 22, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Hours
Hours marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Mary
Mary added it
Jan 22, 2016
Scott Cooper
Scott Cooper rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
  • Necessary Sins: A Memoir
  • Soldier's Joy
  • A Natural Curiosity
  • Persian Brides: A Novel
David Huddle (Born 11 July 1942) is an American multi-genre writer. His poems, essays, and short stories have appeared in Esquire, Harper's Magazine, The New York Times Magazine, Story, The Autumn House Anthology of Poetry, and The Best American Short Stories. His work has also been included in anthologies of writing about the Vietnam War.

More about David Huddle...

“When you're a kid, and you first start reading grown-up books, it's like looking in a window at night at people who think no one is around.” 1 likes